[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any cons to having your own "gym" at home
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: 2016-02-27 21-34-09.jpg (622 KB, 1730x1195) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-27 21-34-09.jpg
622 KB, 1730x1195
Is there any cons to having your own "gym" at home
>>
>>36182786
Not really
>>
>>36182786

getting bitched at by roommates for slamming weights and making "aggressive" noises daily

no cardio bunnies
>>
>>36182786
initial cost
space requirements
protect floor from heavy weights
having to move all of that heavy shit if you move
possibility of being alone if you fuck up and really injure yourself

none of those would deter me though. can't because of #1 and don't want to because of good possibility of #4, but if those were sorted out, i would do it asap. waiting for equipment gets old REALLY fucking fast
>>
what kind of neighborhood do you live in?
>>
I would only consider a home gym if weight training is a part of your life. I bought mine after 17 years of going to the gym. I'd say I've committed myself.

Cons:
It's expensive. You'll need bars, weights, a rack, bench, etc. If you're going to be lifting alone, don't get cheap shit that'll get you injured.

Space/weight can be an issue as well. Can your floor support your equipment? Will you be willing to move all of that bullshit if you have to relocate?

Pros:
You have no excuses not to hit the weights.

You don't have to share with any other swinging dicks.

That last one is why I have mine.
>>
>>36182786

There's a lot of cons to putting one in your fucking living room like that retard
>>
>>36182786
Only con I can think of is if you don't have enough weights or enough equipment. You should definitely get something to do dips on and something for pull ups
>>
>>36182841
>>36182894

>You'll have to pick up heavy shit if you move

Why is this such a big deal? Are you not buying those weights specifically for the purpose of lifting heavy shit?
>>
>>36182971
>Get something for pullups

That is the easiest one. Anything over your head that can support your weight is a pullup bar.
>>
>>36182972

Lifting heavy weights is not the same as transporting heavy wheights.
>>
>>36182972
Well the thing is, you have to move every single machine, bar, weight, and that's pretty annoying.

Also the price, because let's face it, paying 1000€/$ (come on you want at least a decent gym) is kinda hard. But they're all minor cons, so it should be okay, l have a home gym
>>
>>36182786
Something that seems like a 'con' to you could be a 'pro' to another anon. If you're happy, be happy.
>>
>>36183047
like having a sickle celled potato with aids for a child
>>
>>36183058
Nigga wut.
>>
>>36182786
Yes. You might work out too much and get too /fit/ and leave humanity behind and then you get real lonely
>>
>>36183071
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle-cell_disease
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_syndrome
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child
>>
File: IMG_4087.jpg (3 MB, 3456x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4087.jpg
3 MB, 3456x2304
cons:
-exercises are limited. I try to do dumbbell flies but I can feel them doing very little compared to cable flies at the gym.
-no hot girls to stare at
-having to constantly add or remove weights from the dumbbells and barbells rather than just relaxing for a minute then grabbing a different weight instantly
-can lift whatever babby weight with perfect form without having to worry about someone judging me
pros:

-can wear whatever I want
-can listen to whatever i want on stereo system at full volume fuck yea
-no waiting for someone to finish their set so you always can stay pumped
-no wasting gas driving to and from the gym every day
-no wasting monthly payments on top of that.
-home gym pays for itself within a year or less
>>
>>36183098
Too drunk for this shit.
>>
Cons:
1.$$$$

Gap
999. [Maybe] no spotter

Pros:
Literally everything else
>>
The guy of your dreams could be pushing in the gym while you pull at home.
>>
You don't get mires from randos or test boost from looking at a hot grill
>>
I feel less motivated working out at home for some reason.
>>
>>36182786
Cons:
- No spotter if you live alone/don't have strong friends nearby
- Nobody to call ambulance if you dropped your max and can't get it off
- Nobody to look at for reference
- It's hard to find an affordable house with a 14-foot ceiling basement for doing pull/chin-ups and muscle-ups on your power rack without your head bumping against the ceiling
- Lower chance of spontaneous interaction with other humans

Pros:
- You can work out naked
- No closing times
- Truly a judgement-free zone
>>
File: 2016-02-27 22-28-27.jpg (496 KB, 1363x1142) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-27 22-28-27.jpg
496 KB, 1363x1142
damn one con is lack of space...
>>
>>36183182
>go to new gym
>walk directly to squat rack
>scrawny asian girl keeps staring at me
>"meh she's probably just thinking about something else"
>keep doing my squats
>see her reflection in the mirror
>she's still staring at me

I got scared
>>
>>36183252
She is checking your form, naturally she is practicing her skills to recognize flaws.
>>
>no spotter

let me inform you people on a invention called spotter/saftey rails/arms that come with any decent rack.

I spotter rails are rated to catch 500kg crashing down on them....what's ur Human spotters max catch? Also my spotter rails don't have body Odur it a ballsac.
>>
>>36183346
>it a ballsac

Shitty phone. Meant to say don't have a ballsac.
>>
>>36182840
>no cardio bunnies
>>36183107
>-no hot girls to stare at
am i the only one to put my home gym in my rape dungeon?
>>
I'm making my home gym because Planet Fitness bought the gym I used to go to and know there is no convenient place to go unless I want to drive an extra hour in traffic every time
>>
File: ass.jpg (127 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
127 KB, 960x720
not seeing some picrelateds is a major con breh :3
>>
>>36183448
what is the point of just seeing the girls and not talking to them
>>
>>36183213
>what are spotter bars on a power cage?
>>
>>36183346
This
>>
Not meeting girls, not getting advice from older guys who have been lifting for 20 years, not meeting people, not socializing
>>
File: UfQaIxp.png (61 KB, 149x191) Image search: [Google]
UfQaIxp.png
61 KB, 149x191
>tfw don't need to waste time in traffic like a cuck going to the gym every day
>>
>>36182786
SWEATSTINY
>>
Hi guys some people from the /r/destinythegame subreddit posted this thread there and are planning to raid this thread and possibly your entire subboard! Please be careful while me and the rest of the mod team put a stop this.
>>
File: 1442322271714.jpg (221 KB, 816x1224) Image search: [Google]
1442322271714.jpg
221 KB, 816x1224
>>36182786
no joocey yoga pant booties to mire in between sets
>>
>>36183457
I already have a gf, but nevertheless I like to look at cardiobunnies
>>
Don't forget, at home you can dick around on your computer/laptop between sets. More practically, you can look up synergist muscles on ExRx.net, watch videos on good form as you do the exercise without anyone judging you, etc.
>>
File: 84988653.jpg (25 KB, 720x450) Image search: [Google]
84988653.jpg
25 KB, 720x450
>>36182786

1) It's nice when your gym gets new equipment. Gyms can spend money on new equipment and you get to use it without spending thousands of dollars yourself.

2)
A home gym will never feel like an arena in the same way other gyms do. When you're at the gym, you're in a space where so much action and energy takes place, so many people are in there exercising and lifting weights. When you get on the bench or pick up some dumbbells, countless other men have touched that equipment, and you're there competing against the ghosts of their past workouts. You're there and can climb to the top of the biggest and strongest who have ever lifted in that gym in that space.

Even working out in a gym when it's almost totally empty you can still have that feel. Gyms are just a great environment all around. They are alive and have the spirit of strength in them.

But that might sound like hocus pocus, maybe not everyone sees it like that. Either way, you can't get that feel at a home gym.

Also, gym babes are nice to be around.
>>
>inb4 gymshills
>>
>>36183835
you are literally the gayest man on the board that fetishisizes drinking semen and a trap
>>
>>36182786
$$$
That is it
>>
>>36182972
They didn't say pick up, they said move. Moving large amounts of big, heavy shit is difficult, expensive and a total pain in the ass. It could potentially be the difference between an easy breezy plane ride and a 20 hour U-haul trip. This is why a lot of people just leave couches and shit on the curb when they move.
>>
>>36183902
The fuck? No need to bleed from your vagina if you don't like the gym as much as I do bruh.
>>
>>36182786
Is that destiny? Link for sauce bruther
>>
>>36183388
>my rape dungeon
is that the place you get raped by your boyfriends?
because sure as hell your house hasn't seen a woman
>>
File: IMG_1248[1].jpg (473 KB, 1510x784) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1248[1].jpg
473 KB, 1510x784
Well If I was still at my current gym, my membership would have come up for renewal back in December. Which would have costed me nearly $500 for the year membership. So it's already paying off itself desu. That's the big positive of the home gym.

I know it can be fun to lift at the gym b/c of the social aspect and the new fancy machines and equipment, but at the end of the day, you don't need any of those fancy machines/equipment. Lifting at the gym can make you get fuck-arounditis because you might just feel like using some shitty fancy machine, when you could have focused on your actual proper routine/lifts that you should have done that day.

Having a home gym and being limited to the main movements stops you from having fuck aroundiitis. For example, I can only do pullups/chinups/barbell rows for my back, I can't do fuck-aroundiotis mode on lat-pulldown and row machines because I just dont have them around, so it forces me to actually do the shit I should be doing. Same with every other bodypart.

There's not a single body-part I can't hit with the stuff I have in pic related. Not to mention I am forced to only do the shit I should be doing. Back when I lifted at the gym I ended up fucking around with a chest press machine or whatever when I CBF'd benching, or using the leg press instead of squatting just because it was easier.
>>
>>36185253
Oh, and i realize my home gym is in a mess atm. Im cleaning the area out when I have a week of free time to get it done, just need a hire large tip bin to get rid of all the useless shit im keeping.
>>
>>36183835
>But that might sound like hocus pocus, maybe not everyone sees it like that.
About the second point I feel exactly the other way around. I feel watched, uncomfortable, the people running around are annoying. Can't focus in a place like that.

I guess everyone has a different view on that.
>>
I'd like a cable station (like, for cable crossovers and that), a treadmill and a Smith machine, but space is limiting me a little.
I also have it out in the old shed, so heating the place up takes some time, and I still gotta wear a thick sweater the first 15 minutes or so.
>>
>>36185253
Haven't done dips or leg lifts for a while brah?
>>
>>36185652
I dont do leg lifts, dips I do. The boxes are light. Just there till I get a large tip bin to throw all the shit out.
>>
>>36182786
The only con is getting into the mood of lifting as there is no loud music and people around you making noise.
>>
>>36183746
Or you could play runescape and train strength while you rest between sets. Maximum gains bro!
>>
>>36183361
They are objectively inferior, then.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.