[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we talk about the advantages of smoking? sure, it might be
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: download (2).jpg (4 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
download (2).jpg
4 KB, 275x183
can we talk about the advantages of smoking? sure, it might be bad for you in some ways, but hear me out.

i've found that the headrush it gives you is able to help me lift heavier and reach a higher 1rm whilst doing higher reps at lower weights too. it also leaves me pretty chilled out so that i can do cardio for longer. also, it reduces your appetite so it helps me cut even more.

what do you think anons?
>>
Really? The headrush gives me panic attacks and I can't leave the house and need to sit down for a while.
>>
>>36178225
>weakfags trying to justify their filthy addiction
Never
Going
To
Make
It
>>
>>36178225
Cigarettes are absolutely awful for you and have zero benefits.
Plus they're expensive and make you smell like shit. You probably don't notice the smell yourself, but trust me, everybody else can smell your stank from 50 yards away.
>>
>>36178225

>it also leaves me pretty chilled out so that i can do cardio for longer.

Lmao. Yeah, smoking lets you do cardio better. Fucking idiot. Literally don't even remember what it's like to be able to breathe properly.
>>
>>36178225
>2016
>Inhaling the combustion byproducts of any substance for any reason
>Pretending you're 'fit'
Nope you're just another weak-willed addict who will never make it.
>Literally inhaling a poison
>>
File: VZpkTkn.jpg (54 KB, 699x256) Image search: [Google]
VZpkTkn.jpg
54 KB, 699x256
>>36178225
As a swimmer, I laugh at your lung capacity.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 1000x967) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 1000x967
>>36178225
Boy I think you've got a case of the cognitive dissonance.
Retard.
>>
>>36178334
I have a lymphatic disorder that smoking weed relieves.
It's literally a medicine.
And I only use it as such.
Am I degenerate?
>>
File: agamenmon enjoys what he sees.gif (1 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
agamenmon enjoys what he sees.gif
1 MB, 320x200
>>36178295
>was abused by a smoker as a child.
>>
>>36178429
>medical marijuana

Good for you (not being sarcastic) but there are less degenerate ways of dealing with your situation.
>>
>>36178225
>i've found that the headrush it gives you

The problem (as with any addictive substance) is that over time, you need more and more of it to achieve the same effect... until you eventually get to the point where you'll never get that effect again, no matter how much you use.
>>
>>36178225
>headrush
LOL so does huffing spraypaint, but that's not good for you, either!
>>
>>36178225
Get some amph or methylphenidate instead.
>>
>>36178225
Okay I'm gonna for some reason explain this to you.
Cardio and low weight high rep lifts mainly utilize a system of energy called "oxidative" energy system. This system is aerobic meaning it uses oxygen to function properly. Its effectiveness is determined by capacity to take in oxygen, if you smoke, this is SIGNIFICANTLY reduced. This is a biological fact. This means that it makes everything harder and makes your muscles literally weaker, because you are always using your oxidative energy system to provide your muscles with energy even on heavy lifts (it just isn't the primary source of energy). You're physically weaker for being a smoker.
>>
>smoked for 3 years
>start lifting
>quit within half a year

Lmao weak willed faggots. Here's a suggestion stop letting yourself justify your addiction.
>>
>>36178225

All of your cells need oxygen. Hemoglobin in blood delivers this oxygen. Every time you take a puff from a cigarette you displace much needed oxygen bound to your hemoglobin with carbon monoxide - a gas that is useless to your tissue unless you are trying to asphyxiate yourself. Think of this while smoking before lifting, and then if you managed to get enough O2 to your brain try to contemplate all the carcinogens you just inhaled while you're at it.
>>
>>36178439
Nope, in fact I smoked for a long time myself but I quite because I realized how retarded it is.

Enjoy being a weak willed failure.
>>
>>36178225
Youre actually not retarded, despite the other responses. Nicotine does have benefits, but you should take it in another form because, yeah smoke has a ton of downsides.
>>
>>36178225
Ignoring all the trolls in the thread there are some health benefits, even control of blood sugar(if not diabetic) and some neurological benefits.
However in my personal opinion having been a smoker none of these benefit the loss of oxygen in the entire body and the increased rate of infections.
Since your body is always working double time to keep oxygen at appropriate levels and fight off infections constantly you easily become tired.
>>
>>36178826
I've read that smokers have about the same lung capacity as non smokers, can't bother to find source. They have more lung obstructions or something though.

Truth is that smoking is no where near as bad as it is made out to be. It's demonized for reasons that I don't really understand, but certainly not because people with positions of authority care about your health.
>>
>>36178334
Good thing meth is only evaporation and not combustion, so I'm safe.
>>
>>36178477
That's why you lay off for a couple days to reduce tolerance buildup.
>>36178702
Or meth if you don't want to blow money for no reason. If you do, might as well do coke instead.
>>36178900
No one suffocates from smoking cigarettes, so there should be no problem here.
>>
>>36180821
Are you kidding? Smoking is fucking horrible for you and being a heavy smoker is devastating to your health this shit is common knowledge.
>>
The only benefit is the dopamine effects that it has on conditions like Parkinson's disease. It's why many doctors will want a person with Parkinson's to put on a nicotine patch so they save a lot of money and don't have to purchase the other expensive medications.

That's literally it. The only other pluses lead to heavy minuses. Fuck off, addict.
>>
>>36180860
Are you trolling? A lot of what people believe to be common knowledge is completely false, probably even most of it.

Doctors still tell you to fear cholesterol and saturated fats, people believe psychology isn't just a meme, blacks are swell people that are just oppressed, etc.
>>
>>36178225
I smoke and even I know smoking is a disgusting addiction. You don't gain anything from them except dependency to them and life threatening illness.
>>
>>36178225
Did you have your first cigarette today?

Ive smoked for 6 years, just recently quit and feel much better.. Smoking absolutely destroys your cardio
>>
>>36180900
>>>/pol/
>>>/x/

don't come back
>>
i smoke a cigarette or two a week and it pisses me off how guilty i feel about it after because of being fucking conditioned to think its gonna kill me .

i recently quit smoking weed , i didnt actually mean to,i just kinda stopped and i find myself craving a cig or two
>>
>>36180900
Smoking went through decades of people not believing it was bad until the facts finally were indisputable. The amount of pushing against this fact by literally everyone 60 years ago proves that it's true just by how much evidence there would have to be to convince people.
Global warming as a concept has faced less opposition than smoking being bad, if that gives you some indication.
>>
File: proportions-diagram4.jpg (51 KB, 600x237) Image search: [Google]
proportions-diagram4.jpg
51 KB, 600x237
>He fell for the smoking is bad for you meme

Why don't you dyels get a grip and do some independent fucking research? Don't trust the government
>>
>>36178225
I have a question, are those vape, e-cigs with no nicotine and tobacco in anyway harmless?
>>
>>36178284
This
>>
>>36178374
Literally fuck off with your shit-tier reddit posts
>>
>>36178429
don't they make oils and edibles. Couldn't you use a bong so you'd be inhaling water vapor instead of smoke.
>>
>>36180821
The post you replied to had nothing to do with lung capacity, you're fucking retarded
>>
>>36178225
Smoking can help relieve stress, but that's about it.
Physically you get nothing out of it, there are healthier ways to deal with stress.
>>
>>36181873
Depends on what the ejuice is comprised of senpai. Most of the time, I'd be willing to stake on harmless.
>>
>>36181806
Eh, not sure what you mean here. maybe you are much smarter than me but I've read this a few times and don't understand what you are trying to say about global warming.

you can find many studies published 50 years ago that supports the belief that cigarettes are not significantly harmful
>>
>>36178225
If you're going to smoke at least fucking vape so you aren't eating 100+ other chemicals

>>36181806
Global warming is massively over exagerated anon. Scientists need grant money and a doomsday scenario is great for them.
>>
>>36182194

>talks about capacity to take in oxygen
>this is not lung capacity this is something else

but seriously, maybe he is talking about some other function of the resperitory system that I don't know about. I thought he meant lung capacity though
>>
>>36181862

What is b?
>>
>>36178225

The advantages of smoking:

Nicotine effectively silences communication between the two hemispheres of the brain by dampening the activity of the corpus callosum. This sensory gating is what gives tobacco the mental sharpening that many users report. This is also why schizoids rope cigarettes all day - sensory gating alleviates the symptoms of that syndrome.

Nornicotine - another terpene in tobacco - has been conclusively proven to delay the onset of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease and can be used to alleviate symptoms of both.

Cigarette smokers possess ~15% more free testosterone than non-smokers.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11352783

The disadvantages of smoking:

Greatly reduced lung capacity, as has been mentioned previously in the thread. This will fuck with your cardio and your lifting - unless you vape.

Greatly increased incidence of lung cancer. There are a lot of devils in the details here. The problem is that inhaling combusted plant material of any kind will increase your risk of developing lung cancer. This increase is minimal.

What causes lung cancer among smokers is not the tobacco itself - rather it is the radioactive material which has proliferated Western agriculture.

>According to U.S. Surgeon General C. Everette Koop (on national television, 1990) radioactivity, not tar, accounts for at least 90% of all smoking related lung cancer.

The two main perpetrators here is Radium 225 (found in phosphate based fertilizers) and Polonium 210 (the radioactive material of choice to kill root worms). All Western agriculture uses these two compounds - they are in all the commercial food products you use.

When eaten the body can filter out these materials with ease. When smoked, they're embedded in your lung tissue and fuck your shit up.

If you're going to smoke, grow your own tobacco. The best thing you could do is cut down on your smoking all together, and use freshly picked tobacco leaves as a salad green.
>>
>>36183368

>Radium 225

My bad, that's Radium 226 which becomes Lead 210 through radioactive decay.
>>
>>36183368
>Nicotine effectively silences communication between the two hemispheres of the brain by dampening the activity of the corpus callosum.

source?
>>
>>36181873
My e-juice has only 4 ingredients. Up to you to decide if they are safe since not enough research.

Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, N&A Flavorings (GRAS), Nicotine.

The ingredients may change if you start using unregulated shit. Better make sure you know what is in it.
>>
>>36183398

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9613620

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0006322392900739

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF02244861

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_gating

>A large interest in sensory gating research is directed at improving deficits among people diagnosed with Schizophrenia. People with schizophrenia often have deficits in gating the neuronal response of the P50 wave.[2] Since people with schizophrenia can often have an overload of attended stimuli, the P50 wave may serve a critical role in illuminating sensory gating at a neurological level.

>The P50 Auditory Gating deficit is one of the best established biological traits associated with schizophrenia.[1]

It's really the thalamus that has the dampened activity, but the thalamus is, basically, a part of the corpus callosum.
>>
nicotine gum also provides that rush and is less addictive
>>
>>36183517

My bad, should have quoted the following from wikipedia:

>One reason people report they like smoking cigarettes is nicotine's ability to aid their selective attention.[3] In order to alleviate the stress of not being able to gate sensory input, nicotine can correct sensory gating deficits for individuals with schizophrenia, but the effects only last about thirty minutes after nicotine intake.[9] The same self-medication is present among those with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder.[7]
>>
File: 1453675446622.jpg (75 KB, 646x650) Image search: [Google]
1453675446622.jpg
75 KB, 646x650
>>36183534
huh no wonder i religiously vape 8mg nicotine and choke down coffee when im studying and writing.
if i can go weeks with out vaping or smoking can i safely say im not addicted?
>>
>>36178225
>can we talk about the advantages of smoking?
Okay, here we go:
>>
Shit man, I can't smoke. I've been off and on at about a pack a month for 5-6 years, but I always get to a point where they just make me nauseous. I can enjoy an occasional one but only if I drink hella water.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.