[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do /fit/ thinks about chiropractics? I was thinking abo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5
File: chiropractic-adjustment[1].jpg (63 KB, 800x377) Image search: [Google]
chiropractic-adjustment[1].jpg
63 KB, 800x377
What do /fit/ thinks about chiropractics? I was thinking about getting an adjustment after watching this shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B02EyMh8FMI
>>
They're like the broscience of professions
>>
>>36144040
Dont. There are people who have died because of the manipulations these faggots do on your spine.
>>
It was founded by a green grocer who thought he could cure small pox by cracking backs.
>>
>>36144316
>>36144129

I dont know bros, cracking my back feels so fucking good, this is really tempting.
Has someone actually died from a chripractic adjustment?
>>
>>36144342
>has someone actually died

Yes actually

There are multiple cases of chiropractory causing permanent damage, pain, strokes
>>
don't do it. you're spine is not meant to be fucked with, especially by someone else.
>>
>>36144121
so is it a good thing pr a bad thing?
>>
>>36144358
Have you ever seen a cervical spinal manipulation? It's fucking terrifying
>>
>>36144040
just foam roll bro
>>
Literal witch doctor
>>
>>36144378
I totally forgot about these things, thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>36144375
I'm now watching YouTube videos of this and every time the chiro puts their hands on someone's neck I can hear 'finish him' from mortal kombat echoing in my head
>>
>>36144403
np bro
>>
>>36144040
Sacroiliac Joint Dysfunction
>>
>>36144370
think of it like this: one of the many functions of your spine is to be a protective conduit for your spinal cord, which essentially carries signals from every nerve ending in your body to your brain. since this is the pathway your brain uses to communicate with your, it would stand to reason that some sort of interference between the brain and the nerve ending - perhaps some irritation on the spinal cord itself - could cause pain, disfunction, etc.

now, i honestly believe that if someone had a complete map of the human nervous system, actual physiological benefits could rendered to people by performing therapy on the appropriate nerve(s). since they all run through the spine, this could even include spinal manipulation.

however, when these fuckers start talking about your body being "off balance," thinking they can repair severe musculo-skeletal symptoms by merely cracking your back, and any other bullshit that sounds even the least bit pseudo-scientific (which is basically all of it), that's when you need to really pay attention to what their saying.

i went to a chiro just for a sore back (and it got me a free massage). i don't think it really cured anything, but popping my back felt good, the traction table felt really good, and i appear to have suffered no permanent ill effects.

tldr: chiro could be actual science someday, but that day is far away. if you go in simply to get your back popped, you'll be fine.
>>
I went to one because I fucked my back somehow. My spine and hips are shifted slightly. Went to a chiropractor to ask how to fix, they said some adjustments. I went to a few sessions, they didn't fix anything but my back doesn't hurt. My hip still feels weird in some places though.
>>
>>36144040
I'm going to bet you've never done it before right?

Story Time. My mother had a really bad sciatic impingement to the level where she could hardly walk or move, back in her mid 20's before the had my sister and I. She tried it, and in about 2 months she was back to perfection and it hasn't had a problem since with adjustments every month or two. Because of this shes got it in her head that this shit'll cure everything, and for some people it does, like acupuncture or other alt-medicine. I also was taken to get adjusted when i was a few weeks old, not sure why, but i'm still alive and lifting so that's cool with me. I go for an adjustment once a month or so because it makes me feel better, fixes a kink i got in my neck from having shit posture at a desk and other problems from mountain biking and atv accidents because im young and reckless.

If your gonna do it, make sure you go to a reputable place and spend some money on well practiced chiropractors that do a first time assessment, including alignment testing and don't try to just throw you on a table and have at it. Be aware that there are always risks involved when it comes to nerves and spinal shit too.
>>
>>36144509
>they didn't fix anything
>back doesn't hurt
wouldn't that have fixed it then?
>>
>>36144545
Nah. It still hurt after the adjustments, but they forgot to make my next appointment and I just never went back. My back ended up feeling fine a week later. They couldn't actually tell me why my back felt the way it did even after x-rays.They just said my spine + hip was shifted to the right
>>
I snapped my shit up doing farmwork and ended up with a huge L5S1 disc bulge. The neurosurgeon said the only way to cure it is to do a microdiscectomy.
One friend gave a number of a good chiropractor (guys blind). He unsnapped my shit within 5 visits, after which i've felt 90% better. I continued going to him 2 times a month for a year. After that i did another MRI and the disc bulge was around 60% smaller.
I still go to him monthly, i bought an inversion table which i use 2 times daily and i've forgotten what back pain is. In June it'll be 2 years since my injury and i'll see how the progress is going.

tl;dr chiros help, but not in 100% of cases
>>
>>36146754
>I snapped my shit up doing farmwalk

what how? Was it on the deadlift part or the walking part?
>>
There are good ones but you have to find them
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2IU9emzBDRA
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 640x1390) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 640x1390
>>36144040
if performed correctly, preferably by a DO or even a practicing MD, Chiropractics is a completely viable tool for pain management. Of course, like in all medical practices, there are inherent risks in performing them. Talk to your doctor to see if a chiropractic alignment is right for you.
>>
>>36147051
yeah Dr Ian is the real deal, those fat american chiropractors on youtube like gregory johnson are scams. 1 routine for all problems.
>>
>>36147051
I wonder how much they paid that actor.
>>
>>36147253

Probably much more than i paid your mom for a quickie :^)
>>
>>36144513
>If your gonna do it, make sure you go to a reputable place and spend some money on well practiced chiropractors that do a first time assessment

I agree, however good chiropractic must meet criteria :
+age below 40
+study in one of the 12 school(World)
of chiropractic(CMCC or something else)
+learn to diagnose MRI, Xrays
+know and apply other conventional methods
sports medicine, mckenzie, dry nedlinng(is not Acupuncture)
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKxZmDRkQnI
>>
>>36144040
ask your doctor
(your medical doctor, not a chiropractor)
>>
>>36149181
what do you mean
>If its ok with you, don't mention im so close. I'm still not sure how private I want my location to be
especially the Xray part, what should they be able to diagnose with a plain Xray?
>>
>>36149358
X-ray computed tomography
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CT_scan
>>
>>36149432
I said plain X-ray not CT scan, don't be condescending

and I ask it because systematic reviews have shown that X-ray has very few applications to the diagnosis of a source of symptoms in low back pain, and in the case of non specific low back pain it has no validity at all.
>>
>>36149524
cont.

and so i ask, what would be the purpose of being able to read Xrays be if it reveals nothing about a source of symptoms and in no way directs treatment?
>>
I've got a mean knot in my back. My sister drug me to her chiropractor like a year ago. He found it and then obliterated it while I wasn't expecting him to. It sounded like a burst of automatic weapon fire.

I felt better for like a month. I was supposed to keep coming in for more treatment but I never did. I just let somebody else beat the shot out of the knot and walk on it and stuff.

He didn't touchy neck or spine at all. My knot is under my left shoulder blade. I saw him crack my sister's neck and it was pretty brutal. Doi don't think I would go for it personally. But back pain is a bitch. If it's interfering with your life you might as well try anything.
>>
>>36147051
Some people (such as this guy) seem to genuinely help people. There's some scientific evidence that chiropractic can help/provide relief for back problems/pain.

Other than that though, there's a hell of a lot of frauds out there, and any claims that it helps any other health issue is total bullshit. Some chiros go as far as saying other medical treatment is dangerous and chiro is a better cure for things like cancer. Much like the anti-vaccine nutters, these people are just loonies who should be banned from practising.

The most likely thing you'll find with using a chiro is that they'll be average at best - their "adjusting" is something anyone could do, provides some light relief (as cracking any joint does) and won't solve your problem. The stories of people dying or getting seriously injured are often myths, but chriopractic is often a cause for worsening chronic back pain.
>>
I fucked up my lower right back while squatting and playing D1 tennis. Couldn't serve or lean over without pain for almost 5 months. Visited a chiropractic neurologist last semester and after assessment and some neck cracking over 3 sessions im completely fine but now I only have an odd painless feeling in the same place.

Like what the others said, go visit a reputable one who knows what they're doing. They definitely do some weird shit that's potentially dangerous.
>>
>>36144121
yeah, broscience...........faggot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IU9emzBDRA
>>
>Not having a cutie chiro come over and deep tissue you every month or so
>2010+6
Shiggy
I am not one for the popping much, but a well trained person has some magic in those fingers.
>>
>>36144040
Only trust one if he/she actually is a doctor.
>>
My chiropractor back home was a 3x Canadian Champion shot putter and track coach at South Carolina. Great guy.

OP, find a good one in your area, read the reviews. It's holistic, so there's not much actual science, but they know what they're doing will help you.
>>
>>36149598
Dude, keep an eye on that. Neck twisty shit can cause tears higher up in the vertebral artery. It's the leading cause of stroke related deaths from fucking chiroquacks. The artery is literally tangled up in the spine, think about what happens when it's suddenly thrown left and right.
Pls tell her not to get her neck adjusted.
>>
>>36150125
She doesn't listen to me, but I'll try.
>>
>>36144040
Listen up fuckdick: Chiropractics are a bunch of fucking fakes. They're not real MD's and they aren't considered a part of the medical community by regular doctors. What do I mean by regular doctors? Any doctor that is in a care network / i.e. something that your insurance would cover.

Go to ANY Chiro and they'll feed you hours worth of bullshit from making you watch videos that are full of lies and wasting your time with speeches and x-ray's until they move in on "Closing the deal" which they'll call a"Wellness Program" which IS NOT FUCKING COVERED by insurance and will be in the multiple thousands of dollars that you end up paying.

Why isn't it covered? Because it's NOT real medicine. It's a fucking placebo effect..

you hear your back "popping" so you think something is happening when it's not any different than you popping / cracking your knuckles, it's just air that is built up in your joints that is being released. He's not moving your spine or straitening anything. It's fucking bullshit! Don't get ripped off!
>>
They are okay for diagnosing/fixing actual back pain. It's when they start acting like they can cure every disease under the sun is when it crosses over into quackery.
>>
>>36150326
.this.

and everyone's spine is a little curved, it's natural but a Chiropractor will blow it way out of proportion and make it seem like you're going to die if you don't sign up for their program.

buyer beware for sure.
>>
>>36150125
the slight chance that you happen to have a clot move to your brain because of an adjustment is literally the only way a chiro can accidentally kill you so it isnt really surprising that it's the most often occuring way. And i doubt it occurs very often at all.
>>
>>36150785
Didn't happen infrequently enough for the people who died or became paralysed
>>
>>36150326
true chiropractic isn't only "popping".
>>
>>36150814
a bad cop kills a nigger and we should ban law enforcement too huh?

Why look at the outliers? Why make chiropractors a boogeyman, why don't you give a fuck about medical malpractice by DOs, MDs or surgeons in general?

The amount of people who are killed/paralysed by actual doctors is so much higher.
>>
>>36150944
You're the one changing goal posts, I'm saying don't let chiropractors snap your neck around. Do what you like with your back, they generally can't fuck it up too badly.
>>
Yeah, and after that you should go see a palm reader, a old gypsy woman and then an alchemist!
...i mean common...
Go to a real doctor, or better yet, a physical therapist, you know people who practice science.
>>
>>36150988
And I'm saying the risk involved in having a neck adjustment by a chiropractor is comparable to invasive and noninvasive procedures by medical doctors as long as both are trained medical professionals. Of course, as other anons have said, dont let some random nobody snap your neck.
>>
>>36151108
No, the risks are absolutely nothing alike. One person has a medical degree, one does not.

An invasive procedure has inherent risks that the patient and doctor are fully aware of, and the patient gives a signed paper saying they have been informed and consent to the procedure.

You can't compare invasive surgical techniques with actual risk of death to something that is entirely caused by some retard playing cracking games with your neck.
>>
>>36151099
> doctor,a physical therapist
A problem is closed mind
>>
>>36144040
The old guy with the white beard is fucking creep, real handsy with the hot asses.
>>
>>36150326
My healthcare plan does cover it, as kinesiology therapy.
A traumatologist has to authorize it though
>>
>>36151373
He is my hero desu.

The guy makes mad dosh by popping bones and grabbing asses, theres not that much left in life.
>>
Chiropractic medicine is one of those things I believe has grain of truth but the practitioners aren't remotely reliable, don't do it.

The actual science is called physiotherapy.
If it's not something you'd neccisarily go to your GP for then use a foam roller, do your stretches, train your posture. Working out helps too.
>>
>>36144479
holy shit I had SI-joint problems a year ago and couldn't fucking walk for months without enduring immense pain. Worst time of my life.
>>
>>36146785
farmwork
>>
If you do Crossfit I think it is absolutely necessary to visit a chiro atleast once a month. Our sport is pretty advanced so you are gonna have back and joint problems, getting adjusted every once in a while certainly helps.
>>
>>36153338
Hahahahahahahaahahahahahha
Literally laughed out loud, good one m8 :')
>>
File: 1455511624640.png (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1455511624640.png
7 KB, 225x225
>>36153338
>>
>>36144040
Just foam roll your back
>>
As long as we're on the subject of weirdly satisfying compilations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpbUvJffIM
>>
They are modern day witch doctors. Save yourself some time and go to an orthopedic surgeon.
>>
I have a firm belief that chiropractics can potentially help someone completely, but I also have a firm belief that after fixing you the first time they pop a vert in a way that'll it'll hurt a bit in a month so you have to keep coming back

a.k.a D E V I L I S H "D O C T O R S"
>>
File: 213123.jpg (35 KB, 539x680) Image search: [Google]
213123.jpg
35 KB, 539x680
>>36144040
>>36144040

Just buy an inversion table man.

$100 at Amazon and it'll help your back problems or at least relieve it.
>>
No joke, you get a free consultation with a "personal trainer" at my gym and he seriously recommended a chiro.
>>
Non-quack chiropractor here (from Canada), you're gonna love chiropractic if you find a good chiropractor.
I'd like to think that I'm a physical therapist with the option to ajust someone I feel needs it. Most of the time, I only see my patients about 1-2 times and he comes back when he feels the need. Don't go to a chiropractor that tells you need to come back every week for a very long time.
People that dies from a neck ajustment are people who already have a problem and the shitty chiropractor can't diagnose.
Feel free to ask me any other question
(no, english is not my main language)
>>
>>36150326
>air release
they may not know what they're talking about, but you sure as hell don't either
>>
>>36144470
>>36144403
Now kiss

>no homo
>>
>>36156151
>Non-quack chiropractor

That's a contradiction.
>>
>>36156151
Have you ever demonstrated evidence of a 'spinal subluxation', then fixed it with a chiropractic adjustment?
>>
>>36156151
Oh, and are you a fellow?
>>
>>36156151
>with the option to ajust someone I feel needs it
So a less qualified physio.
>>
>>36158836
There's two kinds of "subluxation" m8. There's actually subluxation which is visible to the eye and/or via imaging. Then there's chiro subluxation which is literally anything and cannot be seen by any kind of imaging
t. WHO
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LtOcXTl9xGo#t=145
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.