[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intermittent Fasting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9
File: IMG_2524.jpg (1 MB, 1766x1778) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2524.jpg
1 MB, 1766x1778
Thoughts on Intermittent Fasting?

As pushing your first meal of the day by 4/5 hours and eating your first meal at lunch.
>>
>>36124027
/fit/ says you shouldn't listen to his bs because he's taking some anabolic steroids though
>>
>>36124027
it's bro science.

Just eat regularly throughout the day.
>>
>>36124051
anabolic steroids?
>>
This plus low carb help me fight cravings. Lost like fifteen lbs till I fell off the wagon and resumed drinking beer.
Too Fedora for aa, too weak to quit on my own since my friends are always at the bars. Care just enough to not go full 600 lb life mode but not enough to make it
>>
File: BnA2vphIcAAv6n9-1.jpg (23 KB, 347x464) Image search: [Google]
BnA2vphIcAAv6n9-1.jpg
23 KB, 347x464
>>36124027

It's tits brah.

Doing fasted cardio as I type this, been awake 7 hours, won't eat until 5pm or after.

I might eat a grapefruit between now & then however. Just to push main meal back further.

The idea is to push back your main meal, to help control calories. This is because most people fuck up and lose control in the evening, as sleeping hungry blows.

If you eat say, 1700 calories at once you will feel very full.

If your TDEE is 2700, that 1700 is what you need to eat to lose around a mere 2 pounds a week.

Spread that 1700 calories out and you will ALWAYS feel hungry.

Eat it all at once and you will be FULL as FAURK!

Its kind of a trick. Also being fasted and you tend to not be as hungry.

Its like when you miss breakfast - you don't feel hungry at lunch. That is NOT due to metabolism slow down. That is due to your body efficiently burning stored fat for fuel.
>>
>>36124061
Im close to 10% body fat, would eating regularly get me down to like 6%?
>>
>>36124141
fuaaa so what time do you work out brah?
>>
>>36124027

Or, just eat something nutritious and low Cal.

Start the day with a plum. That's 30 fucking calories. If u get hungry between then and lunch, just eat carrots, asparagus, etc. Even if u eat a second plum tyoud be really hard pressed to get over 100 calories before lunch.

I never understand why fatties think that starving themselves is actually harder than just eating healthy.
>>
>>36124162

About 6-7 hours after I wake. I have a 1 hour lunch break, so I train in that window . Frees up time nicely. Also no need to bring packaged food to work.
>>
>>36124165
IF isn't starving yourself, and once you do it for a while, you don't need to start the day with a plum and you don't hungry between then and lunch.

You are literally getting the same amount of calories as you otherwise would; you just eat them over a shorter period. Why would that be starving? Don't you know that calories don't need to be consumed at a specific time?
>>
>>36124142
It's all calories, and perhaps lowering carbs to hinder fat production.
>>
>>36124165

The issue with that is for some people a small amount of food sets off their appetite, making them percieve more hunger than if they waited.

If eating a tiny bit does help keep them satiated then by all means they should do whatever helps them stay on their diet.
>>
>>36124198
so when is your last meal of the day?
>>
It's just a way to control appetite. The other benefits are overplayed and glorified pointlessly.

If it helps you control your appetite, do it.

I stay fasted for around 20-21 hours and eat for 3-4 and it works for me all year round. I like eating a fuckload in a short amount of time.
>>
I'm currently in the middle of my first day doing this. Day started at 6:30 am and didn't eat until 1:00pm (half an hour ago). I started getting hungry and feeling weak around 11:30 am but am feeling a bit better now. I'd like to continue with this for 2 weeks to see how well I do.
>>
>>36124230
that's mad, but I guess it works differently for everyone
>>
>>36124230
>>36124061
What about all that IGF stuff the scientists were talking about in that one video in the last thread?
>>
>>36124027
My body naturally fasts. About 1 day a week I'm just not hungry at all.
>>
>>36124027
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms

This Dr. Mosley doco may interest you.
>>
>>36124198
so you work out on empty stomach? i'd pass out if i did that
>>
Call it broscience if you want but something very magical happens when you combine Bullet Proof Coffee with IF.
>>
>>36124476
After 1-2 weeks it you'll get used to it, throw in a black coffee pre workout and your golden (caffeine further blunts hunger) your body will start using fat stores for energy
>>
>>36124554

if youre trying to build muscle though you need some BCAA
>>
>>36124498

what do you mean and when do you drink it?
>>
>>36124303

It simply doesn't translate into a huge difference in the real word.

If someone wants to utilize hormones to gain any meaningful amount of muscle, then they should just use the drugs.

Otherwise worrying about an extra ounce of muscle over a 1 year timeframe is over complicating things.
>>
>>36124592
Ive tried 3 months on and 3 months off BCAAs noticed no difference. I just have to make sure im eating right after my workout, and getting the calories in.
>>
>>36124592

You get plenty. Protein & hence BCAA sources don't get absorbed instantly. You are still absorbing most amino sources forca good 24 - 36 hours after ingested.

Since nobody is planning to fast more than 20 hours its not very important.
>>
>>36124027
I do IF while I cut. I do this because if I fast in the morning until lunch I can have bigger helpings of food for lunch/dinner and feel more satisfied. If I eat breakfast all of my meals just seem way too small. I don't do carb cycling or w/e the fuck else goes on with the lean gains thing. It works for me, just try it out and see if you like it.
>>
>>36124618
Actually that video was promoting intermittent fasting as something good for the opposite of gaining muscle. It specifically says to avoid eating so many protons and says it's for when you DON'T want your body in GO GO GO mode. It's for old people who want their body to go into repair mode so they can live at their current healthy level for a longer period of time, not for people trying to get mad gains.
>>
>>36124554
that's what i'm doing now, 16/8 schedule. eating 1st meal @ 4pm and lifting around 7pm, then eat after lifting, before sleeping. while trying to cut. i feel weak sometimes... maybe i'll just have to try harder
>>
>>36124751

eat earlier senpai.

meal 1 at 12-1
meal 2 at 3-4
workout at 7
meal 3 at 8-9
>>
I never get hungry until around 11am anyways, so I just eat between 12-8pm
>>
>>36124027
no different that regular eating schedule but i found that it made dieting WAY easier once you're used to it.
>>
I have one question about IF, can I IF 5 days a week then enjoy my friday and saturday cheat days as long as I stick to my calories?
>>
>>36124165
i guarantee you will get hungry as shit if you disturb your fasting and eat a plum first thing in the morning, with NOTHING else
>>
File: B12.png (785 KB, 1492x1080) Image search: [Google]
B12.png
785 KB, 1492x1080
>>36124051
>>36124027
>>36124061

He's a fraud like every other motherfucker on youtube.
>>
File: B12 2.png (566 KB, 794x604) Image search: [Google]
B12 2.png
566 KB, 794x604
>>36125083
If you're natty you have nothing to gain from listening to his bullshit broscience.
>>
fancy for just not eating breakfast
>>
>>36125083
>tfw /fit/ thinks injectionspots turn BROWN
>>
>>36125104
lmfao those are injection sites you dumb fuck.
>>
>>36125138
lmfao i guess im a mutant then been injecting myself for 2years and never have had the spot turn brown, actually you cant even tell where i inject because the fucking spot doesnt TURN BROWN.
toppest kek
>>
are you supposed to train fasted? i lift in the morning and not eating before hand sounds fucking miserable.
>>
>>36125170
i never train on empty stomach. usually eating ~2hrs before lifting is the sweet spot for me
>>
>>36124165
>Start the day with a plum.

Lost it

Also the worst idea ever, you'll feel hungry straight away and you'll want more food if you break the fast with a plum of all things.
>>
1. Greg isn't natty. If you didn't already know from his Shoulder boulders, you are a dumb

2. IF is the best way to cut.

A 16-19 total hour fast, or a 5-8 waking hour fast (maybe sometimes longer if I ate just before bed, or don't feel hungry at the 8 hour mark) seems to be most effective for me.

Great thing about IF is you can try it for 3 days or so and instantly know if it is working ( if you feel full on 1500 calories, then you know it worked for you)

The only real benefit to fasting is the psychological compliance aspect.

Fasting lets you feel satiated on a caloric deficit.

This makes cutting easy as fuck.

I could understand fasting may not be for everyone but you really only need to invest a day or two to see if it works for you.

If you try it and don't feel full on your caloric goal, then don't do it.

If you try and it makes cutting super fucking easy for you, then do it.

Also it does good shit to your leptin/ghrelin levels, as well as boosts test and gh for better muscular preservation and less thermogenic adaptation
>>
Just echoing what has already been said but IF is just an appetite regulation trick. It's also nice if you work or go to school during the day - you can wale up later because you don't need to make breakfast or lunch. And you get to eat a big ass meal at night and feel satisfied.

Overall macros are what ultimately do the job it seems, IF is just a nice technique. There are probably some fringe benefits to it but at this stage it seems like they're largely speculative. Berkhan posted a few studies on his site that are interesting but no really well done human trials yet.

That being said, if you take the LG community at large as anecdotal evidence, the overall approach seems to work pretty damn well for producing ottermode manlets, so if that's your goal then go for it.
>>
>>36125083

Why the fuck would he inject BETWEEN the bicep and the Delt?

Huh?

There aren't exactly bodybuilder size delts, and if he wasn't as lean his delts wouldn't appear very big at all.

Natty or Not gave him a 2.5/5, meaning 50/50 chance.

If he isn't natty his advice is still almost the same as Brad Pilon, who certainly looks natty.

The only difference is Pilon suggest every other day fasts, as he thinks they are easier to stay compliant to, because well, at the end of the day compliance to the calorie deficit is what matters.

Going on a roid Witch hunt has no bearing on weather you can fast and lose fat without losing muscle.
>>
>>36125169

This, not natty here either, never had a site turn brown.

Moles are brown. I've had zits I've picked leave a scab.

Never had any site look like either. Tiny little pink spot that doesn't show up in pictures is all I get, and that is with a 21gauge
>>
File: 1444146171211.jpg (55 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1444146171211.jpg
55 KB, 640x480
>>36125452
>Why the fuck would he inject BETWEEN the bicep and the Delt?

because he's a retard.

Have you read his "programs"? He just rambles on and on about stupid fucking broscience and legit dangerous fucking diets. And for being a millionaire he sure shills A FUCKTON of crappy supplements, they even come with links and pictures where you can buy em.
>>
>>36125709

Are you sure that's his site then?

He has gone on, at length, many times, about not using supplements and that people should minimalize the amount they spend on fitness
>>
>>36125709
>not eating for 5 hours after waking up is dangerous!!1
Fuck off momscientist

You wake up, you spend a few hours foraging for a meal. This is literally what we are evolved to do
>>
>>36125729
Someone posted every single program he's done on here and i downloaded em. Read through a couple of them and it was crazy retarded shit. I'm like 90% sure it's his.

Also it's pretty crazy that he'd take 80 dollars for a pdf full of broscience.
>>
>>36125749
I'm not talking about IF, i do IF.
>>
>>36125798
What, then?

All he recommends is
1. Non-restrictive dieting
2. Coffee to blunt appetite and fruit to replenish glycogen to increase "fast" duration
3. IF
>>
>>36124997
m8
you can do whatever you want to do.

IF isn't like ketosis, where if you eat something early one day, you have to get yourself back into ketosis.

You can do whatever you want, whenever you want to do it
>>
>>36124794
Fucking this
>>
just so you guys know, flavored seltzer water is bomb for prolonging fasts.... Also instead of fruit I just use a gummy vitamins and some capsulated psyllium husk
>>
File: 1455773399571.gif (958 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
1455773399571.gif
958 KB, 500x379
>>36124141
>>36124141
Exactly brah. Pisses me off when DYEL's who have never even tried IF bullshit about how it's a meme diet.

No. It's flat-out not.
>>
>>36124051
Do you think he came up with intermittent fasting? It's a LeanGains thing
>>
>>36125986

That's my take on IF too, essentially its FREEDOM.

For the majority of guys the key to looking good is staying compliant to calorie restriction.

If you build even halways decent amount of muscle, you have a bench over 225 and DL over 315 and do basic accessory work, pull ups, rows, curls etc.. basic gymbro shit.. You will look great at around 10 fat.

That being a TRUE 10ish %.

Getting there is the key, and unless you are trying to hold onto bodybuilder size muscles, which you aren't unless your roiding anyway, then diet DIET D-I-E-T is where its at.

Most of the typical gym rat and gym bros you see with a few years lifting would look fantastic, if they were good and lean.

IF takes the complication out of it. Is it "ideal"? No data proving that, buuuuut it does work, and is effective for a lot of people to control calorie intake.

On top of that there is no need to bring food with you, and you are not restricted on the exact types of foods.

To be healthy you should eat you vegetables take your fish oils and D3 and whatever, but that is secondary to the basic principal of caloric control.

If all you want is to look good, lift weight, any program will do, or even gym bro it, make sure you hit everything.

Then be lean enough to see it.

IF makes that second part much easier.

Maybe tiny little meals and nutrient timing and exact partitioning of Macros and Micros and all that would yield slightly better results over time. Buuuut it is a LOT of trouble for a small amount of better returns.

IF is Freedom from all of that, while still letting you get good and lean and keep your muscle.

I'm not convinced of the fringe benefits, at all, but being a form of caloric restriction that you can stick to long term, easier mentally for most people, that I am convinced.
>>
>>36126110
Ma nigga
>>
>>36125083
those arent injection sites you idiot
>>
>>36126110
/thread

you summed it up perfectly senpai
>>
>>36126110
mi familia
>>
>>36125170
Yes, you are. This way your body will be forced to burn fat to provide you with energy. If you fill up beforehand on glycogen there is no added benefit.
>>
The only advantage of IF is that its easier to count calories if you only eat twice a day. All that bullshit about increased HGH and insulin sensitivity is pure broscience cherrypicked from barely related researches. In the end of the day, it all comes down to calries in-calories out. Whether you eat 20 times a day or 2, whether you fast or eat every hour, it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
File: 1444056584642.jpg (18 KB, 467x460) Image search: [Google]
1444056584642.jpg
18 KB, 467x460
>>36126110
>>
>>36126110
>That's my take on IF too, essentially its FREEDOM.
How the fuck is that freedom when you schedule your meal, have a window to stuff your face with food even if you aren't particulary hungry, and in case of some protocols, fast for entire days. True freedom is to stop worrying about meal sizes and fasting times simply because you're confident in your ability to stay within your desired caloric range and macros. If I want a fucking cake, I'll eat a goddamned cake, all I need is to account for calories and reduce following meals for the day. Thats freedom. IF exists for weak-willed bitches who torture themselves all day long so they could have a free pass to binge eat like pigs later on.
>>
>>36126705
>IF exists for weak-willed bitches who torture themselves all day long so they could have a free pass to binge eat like pigs later on.
You're dismissing us as weak-willed when you're the one who considers it torture not to eat food for a while?

What does eating like a pig and binge even mean in the context you put it? Meal timing is insignificant. If the caloric totals per day are in check, who cares? I'm getting a free pass to... eat the amount I'm supposed to eat anyway? Sounds good to me.
>>
>>36124208
wat? You're literally starving yourself for almost an entire day so you can binge eat without getting fat.
>>
>>36126110
Greg, why did you lie about being natty?

What is the true natty limit for delt growth? How big did you get before the chemicals?
>>
>>36126839
>has literally never done it.
how's the view on mount stupid?
>>
>>36126839
>You're literally starving yourself
Not the guy you're replying to, but what don't you understand?

it's an approach to appetite control. You might feel like you're starving. I, for example, wouldn't. I wouldn't even notice it. My hunger only kicks in once I actually begin eating.

>so you can binge eat
Definition of binge: a short period devoted to indulging in an activity to excess, especially drinking alcohol or eating.

Once again: it's an approach to appetite control. How is controlling your appetite giving a free pass to binge eating if you're still within your caloric limit?

You're making no sense. Meal timing matters less than you think.
>>
>>36125488
>>36125169
you idiots, they are red it's just the lighting of that video making the colors look weird. His skin looks yellow as fuck in that picture. In lots of his other videos the injection sites are red.
>>
>>36126883
You aren't making sense. So you admit that meal timing doesn't matter. Does that mean IF is purely psychological? In that case, its a meme diet with no actual benefits over traditional eating and exists for people who cannot control their appetite without imposing some restrictions upon themselves
>>
File: delts.jpg (78 KB, 536x466) Image search: [Google]
delts.jpg
78 KB, 536x466
>>36126845
>What is the true natty limit for delt growth?
>>
>>36126705

Well dumbshit, you are NOT going to gain FREEDOM from Calorie Control and be able to get or stay lean at the same time.

If you have a fucking social event earlier than your window, and you want to eat, go ahead and skip your later meal to make up for it, just take some melatonin or whatever if you're hungry when you go to bed.

On IF you also are not restricted with "oh shit I need to get something that has 30grams of protein, 20 carb, and 10 fats, in 20 minutes for my meal 4 of the day".

You forget about food until the evening. If something comes up and you wish to eat early and THAT is messing you up, then you MISSED the point about using it as a way of gaining freedom. You can easily move your eating window to when it suit you.

You're also using a dumb fucking strawman with the "eat like a pig" as it implies eating an unlimited amount of food. YOu still have a calorie limit, but you will be more satisfied eating it in a shorter time frame.

'Oh, puissies, weak willed blah balh, I'm soo tough " - fuck off with that.

The point is to make getting lean easier, not harder for the sake of calling yourself a "hard ass."

If you have an easier way to get a result, and find the path more enjoyable, with no long term consequences, WHY the FUCK would you do something harder?

Also, why would you be eating on IF when you aren't hungry?

Who the hell said ANYTHING about that fucking strawman? huh dipshit?

Just making assumptions and attack as if the person you're talking to actually said that.

If you can calorie restrict with ZERO fucking structure or routine, go for it.

The fact is most people find it a LOT more realistic to follow a general routine, daily, that they get used to.

The routine of "not eat now" for most of the day, until evening "feeding time" 1 or 2 x a day, is pretty fucking easy.

Or, you just figure EVERYBODY should have the disciple to eat whatever whenever and still be able to restrict calories?
>>
>>36126951
Are you obliged by your religion to press ENTER twice or something?
>>
>>36126931
>my delts are natty I swear
>>
>>36126931

About Tree Fiddy
>>
>>36126977

Not playing the loaded question game.

Now answer the REAL Question.

Do you figure EVERYBODY should have the discipline to eat whatever whenever with ZERO structure of any kind, and still be able to consistently restrict calories?
>>
IF aside, everyone should try to go 44-48 hours without food to realise how fucking addicted everyone is, and how nothing really changes going a day or two without food.

Gives you an immense amount of mental freedom knowing that.
>>
>>36124061
This. The stupid shit people they do with their diet is impressive though.
>>
>>36126923
>So you admit that meal timing doesn't matter.
Yeah. This was my original post:
>>36124230

As I said: it's just an approach to appetite control. If it works for one personally, great. If not, find something else.

>Does that mean IF is purely psychological? In that case, its a meme diet with no actual benefits over traditional eating
I don't know what you're rambling on about. I never said it's superior. It's an approach to appetite control. I, for example, do better with it than I do with traditional eating, so I'll use it. I wouldn't press on someone to adopt the approach if it were deleterious to their appetite control.

>exists for people who cannot control their appetite without imposing some restrictions upon themselves
That's one group for whom it could exist. In my case, I'm left a hell of a lot more satisfied eating a lot in a short window of time and sleeping on a happy stomach. That's all - it's just more personally satisfying and even if I'm technically "restricting" it during the day, it doesn't feel like it because I'm just not hungry until I actually begin eating. So when I do begin eating, I'll eat to my heart's content and when I stop, I'm satisfied. Which, again, simply aligns with it being an approach to appetite control that works for me.

To say it's just for people who can't control themselves is hilariously dishonest. I can eat normally. It's just not as satisfying as eating a lot in a condensed window. I probably have more discipline than most people here when it comes to diet.
>>
>>36126983
This guy has to be the douchiest looking fake natty on youtube.
>>
>>36127060
>implying humans have been eating 3 meals a day for 2.5 million years

Realise our modern world has only existed for 200 years, fucking agriculture for only 10 thousand and maybe you'll gain a new perspective on things =)
>>
>>36127078

Oh, he's got an ego alright.

Buuut considering he's good looking, has a great body and regularly fucks very hot women, and he's young that's going to be hard to avoid.

None the less, whatever about him personally, his simplistic approach to IF is solid. Useful for anyone who has issues with traditional diet adherence.

Also his concept of not going too crazy or ambitious with muscle size goals, as a lot of other guys obsess way too much with getting huge, not realizing they are already big enough to look good if they were lean enough to see it.
>>
>>36126951
hotaru maniac what are you doing on /fit/, don't you have some pale waifs to dead fuck and benzos to pop?
>>
I did IF while eating 2900 calories, it wasnt that hard eating in the 8 hour window at all plus i didnt put on any fat but lost it even tho i was eating high
>>
>>36124208
>>36124218
>>36125001
>>36125207

Yoy are starving urself if u spend the whole morning not eating but wishing u could. Why wait til lunch.

I love how you all jumped on the plum and just disregarded the follow up veggies I listed as well. It's not hard to eat healthy and low Cal. Eat a few carrots and u won't be starving anymore.

Amerifats r so fucking obsessed with junk food they'd rather skip a meal than just eat some veg.
>>
>>36126839
skipping breakfast is not starving yourself... i dont even get hungry in the morning anyways. i just eat a bigger lunch and dinner (within my calories/macros)

5 meals a day is a meme
>>
>>36127883
im not hungry when i wake up senpai
>>
>>36125749
Appeal to nature faggot. You sound like a major league retard too
>>
>>36127947
The
That's fine. If u can go ahead and wait 5 hours without suffering nbd.

But you'd lose even more wait with a breakfast. Wakes up ur body.
>>
probably not a great idea long term.

you will just end up spiking your cortisol.
>>
>>36125749
>You wake up, you spend a few hours foraging for a meal. This is literally what we are evolved to do

...unless you have human intelligence & evolved the capability to store food from previous days so you can eat it when you wake up.

and you called the *other* guy a momscientist?
>>
Since 2016 started I been able to get my life in routine so I could do fasting. I split the day in half: 12/12 hours. I eat during one half of the day and fast the other half.

I usually have 3 meals with one snack. I'll admit I am not always successful with fasting. I've broken fast and like ate with friends, or had a snack before bed.

There are also times where I'll only have two meals. Like only breakfast and lunch and then I'll come home from the gym and be so tired I just sleep and forget about eating until the morning. Those days are usually the days I feel the best when waking up, and I look the most shredded.

Before this I would just do normal cutting/bulking diets and time my meals apart
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.