[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deadlift Form Help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6
File: Capture.png (233 KB, 313x416) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
233 KB, 313x416
I've been deadlifting pretty consistently for the last 6 months or so, 1-2 times each week.
I've had problems hurting my back a couple times before,diagnosed bulged disk. in the last six months I think I've triggered this issue 2 times. its basically like an on off switch to back pain that takes a couple days to a week to subside completely. Most recently I did this last week so its time I started videoing myself to fix the issue.

For the past month I've been working at 365lb for about 4-6 reps depending on the day.
Last week I warmed up and worked up to 365 for 6 reps. on the second set I couldn't break the bar off the ground with two attempts, I got the slightest feeling that something wasn't right with my lower back, like very slight, I didn't realize it was a problem until the next set. I decided to take it easy and dropped the weight to 315 just to be safe. So I did a second set at 315 for 7 reps.

This is the point where I decided to start videoing my self, and surprise surprise I hurt myself on the first rep of the 3rd set. here is the video
https://youtu.be/SWXCKcMIlGY
This was the worst I had hurt my back in years, but surprisingly it healed much faster than usual, I actually had a great chest workout the next day without any back pain.

anyways getting to the point, I decided its time to focus in and get my form correct so this week I set the weight max at 275 and didn't go any higher. please check my form and help me fix my deadlift.

last warm up set at 205
https://youtu.be/P2hFSpOPJnE

1st set at 275
https://youtu.be/i32vlgadyP4

2nd set phone memory filled up

3rd set at 275
https://youtu.be/rRk4zi-SWkw
>>
Bump, anybody?
>>
File: image.jpg (709 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
709 KB, 3264x2448
>>36116698
>lets keep doing a meme lift even though i keep on hurting myself

pic related; this is how i look and i deadlift 670 lbs deadlifts r a meme
>>
>>36117325
Thanks for the trolling but I'm looking for real advice.
>>
your back is slightly rounded through all the videos and you dont lock out properly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6UgD1H_AXw
>>
>>36117435
This is real advise

Deadlift is a meme lift and doesnt make you look aestethic.
>>
>>36116698
Avoid using shoes with a heel when deadlifting, it changes your center of gravity to over the bar, use something with a flat sole. If you have been using those shoes that you have on that may have something to do with it
>>
>>36117562
I've been deadlifting barefoot the whole time, I just picked up these a few weeks back because my runners are starting to die.

I'll try barefoot again next week, but I don't think the shoes are my main issue.
>>
>>36117549
Different goals I guess, I want to look good but I also want to be strong
>>
>>36117640
Only other thing that i can see is your back. Try pushing your chest out more so that your lower back doesn't round. It might not be rounding much but if you have a pre existing injury then its going to make a difference
>>
How the fuck do you retards keep hurting yourselves? Jesus christ
>>
It's pretty simple biomechanics why you're hurting yourself. You need to flatten your back by contracting your back extensors. Basically without that contraction, you are shearing your spine by leaving the load on the passive ligaments/discs, instead of the muscle. You probably herniated a disk and hit a nerve honestly. Make sure you are also abdominally bracing while you lift.
For a great low back resource, check out Stu McGill's "Low Back Disorders". It can be found on pdf for free on the web.
>>
>>36116698
are you bracing your core? also look at some diagrams of "neutral" spines, that's how your lower back should look. once you get the weight off the ground, quads and hips should be moving the weight.

i'm like 90% sure i have a buldged disc too. i just do heavy back extensions and never go HAM on dead lifts. if it feels like it might tweak, drop DLs for that session.
>>
>>36117696
K I'll try to focus more on this next week.
>>
>>36116698
I did back recovery a few years back. I haven't had a relapse since and am considerably stronger.

I also kept going back and forth on recovery.

After months of putting up with that bullshit, I finally went to a physical therapist and he put me on the most lame recovery program ever with exercises that I doubted the validity of. However, he did look like he actually lifted and did have quite an extensive knowledge so I figure I could sacrifice a couple months to his voodoo, because I sure as fuck was not getting past it with my techniques.

So here's the deal:
What I learned was just because the pain stops and your strength returns doesn't mean you're fully recovered.

Go see a physical therapist, stick with his or her plan. It will seem painfully slow and useless, but anyone who has recovered from serious injury will tell you: patience is key. Don't rush to the next step just because you feel strong one day.
>>
>>36117778
It's been a while since I hurt myself. It's kind of annoying because things will go great for months and then one day without warning, click, pain
>>
>>36117849
I'm pretty sure I'm bracing my core well, I usually use a belt once I get over three plates but this week as well as next I was gonna use it at 275. I'll really focus on contracting my core next deadlift session
>>
>>36117948
I've thought about this before but I would only do it if it was a physiotherapist with knowledge of lifting rather than a generic physiotherapist if you know what I mean
>>
>>36117953
i see that you have lifting shoes on, try doing them with no shoes or with flat shoes.

the heeled shoes put you in somewhat of a deficit, which may be putting more force on your lower back. but honestly, if you value your back and if you get injured again you might want to switch to sumo...

>inb4 lol sumo
if you value your health more than your conventional DL pride you might want to try switching over. although fit will give you shit for pulling sumo, it puts WAY less stress on your lower back.

if you dont want to do sumo then do what you're doing; deload and try to perfect form... and try DLing w/ flat shoes/socks
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-02-22-23-04-35.png (909 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-22-23-04-35.png
909 KB, 1080x1920
>>36116698
Lol your a fucking idiot. Weigh the risks and rewards of deadlifting with an injury. Why the fuck would you deadlift?

Read these replies. You're getting advice from people who don't even understand the basic mechanics of the deadlift. If they did they would've immediately noticed your shin angle. Shins need to be vertical or close to it.

Do whatever you want.
>>
Deadlift 2 video shows rounding of the lower back as far as I can tell.

your neck angle is whack and you need to set it in a neutral position. Also what the other anon said about the bar and shin position.

also stop doing them so fast, this is some crossfit kind of shit
>>
>>36118016
I recently bought the shoes, I was just trying them out because there seemed to be quite a few people who seemed to prefer deadlifting in lifting shoes
I deadlifted sumo for about a month and a half a while ago, it does feel more comfortable and I can lift more weight. But the general consensus seems to be that conventional is better for general fitness so I decided I would stick with conventional for a while.
>>
>>36118217
I will, thanks
>>
>>36118301
Ya I was playing around a bit because I don't usually stick that light, I usually do them slower than in the one video.
>>
>>36118217
>You're getting advice from people who don't even understand the basic mechanics of the deadlift. If they did they would've immediately noticed your shin angle. Shins need to be vertical or close to it.

yeah no
>>
>>36118344
also make sure you focus on pulling the slack out of the bar, keeping upperback/lats contracted and learn about loading the hamstrings.

when i conventional DL i feel most of it in my glutes more than anything, when i was a noob i did get lower back pain because of form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEy_czb3RKA /fit/ hates this guy but this video helped me learn how to engage hams when doing conventional
>>
>>36118217
>You're getting advice from people who don't even understand the basic mechanics of the deadlift.

you're one of them lmao
>>
File: vRFeKrj.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
vRFeKrj.jpg
132 KB, 1280x720
I DL 415 natty with no history of back injuries and yet you faggots keep snapping your backs with lower weight? I'm genuinely curious how you do it. Are you an ultra lanklet?
>>
>>36118383
>>36118444
I rest my case.

Leave the /fit/ circle jerk for a minute. Check the deadlift form of andy bolton george leeman eddie hall benedikt magnusson richard hawthorn or how about kk? All straight shins.

But I'm sorry anons are the experts.
>>
>>36118666
because they're not wearing heeled shoes you fucking idiot
>>
>>36118217

You are actually retarded.

>>36116698

OP you have literally ZERO core stability through the whole lift. Your setup is shit, you're not bracing at all. Not only is your back rounded before you even start your pull, it rounds MORE as you lift off the floor. If you want to keep doing deadlifts and stay out of a wheelchair then you need to deload (probably to 1 plate) and completely rework your form and technique. Watch Alan Thrall's video about deadlifting. He breaks down beginner technique fairly well.
>>
Please for the live of God, improve your form or else you're talking a one way trip to Snap City.

Rippletits has newish videos out.
https://youtu.be/4AObAU-EcYE

Your hips are low and your back is round. Keep your neck neutral. Lower the weight and start all over with proper form.
>>
>>36118834
his back in the video isn't too rounded?
seems very different from lifters like candito who have a very very straight back
>>
>>36118631
6ft at 195
>>
Op here, this was my first time videoing myself, so I've actually seen how bad my form is for the first time.
I'll focus more on all the suggestions next week for sure, but I'm not deloading to 1 plate. 2 plate is super light as is, I'll work on my form around thereish and then start increasing once things look good
>>
>>36118834
This is helpful. I've dropped my hips way low. Fuark DL is complicated exercise for how easy it looks.
>>
>>36116698

>Stop doing touch and go.
Deadlift means you reset the weight and form for every single rep
>Stop doing so many fucking reps goddamn
Should never work with more than 3 reps on DL
>Lighten up
Reduce weight, film singles, critique and adjust form
>>
>>36116698
>touch n go
kill yourself
>>
>>36120336
It is a bit roundedin Rip'$ vids, but it's nowhere near as bad as op
>>
>>36121526
Get off your high horse and check your poor form privilege.

There's nothing wrong with dropping the weight and working your way back up. Especially if you have a herniated disk and have been using improper form. You don't need to show off at the gym.
>>
File: thrall.gif (1 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
thrall.gif
1 MB, 356x200
>>36118385
>/fit/ hates this guy but this video helped me learn how to engage hams when doing conventional

Why does /fit/ hate based Thrall?
>>
File: 1455410747310.png (71 KB, 870x870) Image search: [Google]
1455410747310.png
71 KB, 870x870
>>36121964
Why even listen to anything a bunch of non lifters say. His advice helped me the most and I've been liftan for ten for almost 11 years.

>moving elbows back on pulling movements

God that skyrocketed my BB rows.

And yes engaging your hams saves your spine. But holy shit your glutes/hams/erectors afterwards
>>
>>36122057
I've watched his videos in the past. I seem to really struggle with focussing on engaging certain muscle groups. I'll rewatch some videos before next deadlift session as well
>>
>straighten back as much as possible
>bend at waist, dangling arms towards bar
>bend knees until you can grab the bar
The biggest mistake I see people doing is trying to do the initial lift with their back
Lean slightly back and drive through your heels, straightening your legs first, THEN your back
>>
>>36118217
What if my lack of hamstring flexibility prevents me from keeping my shins vertical? (not OP here, just wondering in what universe you have to deadlift with perfectly straight shins)
>>
>>36116698
Your form is pretty good. 2 Small tips though..

1. Really pick your chest up when you are coming up. This will help draw the shoulders back just enough to put them in a more neutral position. Think of it as owning the movement for a split second.

2. Drop your head and tuck your chin more so your head is also in a more neutral position. Otherwise keeping your head up like that might cause a small strain in the cervical spine over time. Nbd though, just watch it
>>
>>36121506
I'm the same height as you mate. It's time to stop ego lifting like a retard. You obviously can't get your form down with that weight.
>>
>>36124521
This is the first time I videotaped myself, I wasn't focussing on a particular form.
I was trying to do it naturally so that I could actually see what I needed to work on as far as form goes. I'm quite confident that I can adjust my form at this weight
>>
>>36125008
You obviously can't since you're about to snap your shit
>>
>>36121964
they say he's "too reddit" and i have no idea what reddit has to do with this guy lol... he has good info so i dont get it
>>
>mfw discovered sumo stance

Whelp, no more lower back pain for me.

>>36118385
This also helped a great deal, I was doing so much wrong.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.