[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We are gladiators!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (21 KB, 192x331) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21 KB, 192x331
Can /fit/ tell me about the training/food regimine that ancient gladiators used? After they were sold into slavery the only had a few weeks to look like pic related. How is this possible before roids?
>>
Most gladiators weren't slaves, most were free men taking their shot at glory. Many were farmers, they got their build from working the land and eating what they grew, be it crops or animals. They would then go to the heart of Rome near the coliseum and apply to be a gladiator. If he was accepted he would live in the gladiatorial barracks and basically train with his fellow fighters for months.
>>
>>36105116
That is blatantly false, anon...
>>
>>36105140
... excuse me? Which part is false.
>>
>>36105149
Gladiators weren't all slaves, but most were. And the freedmen who became gladiators gave up their freedom for a time when they joined a ludus.
>>
>>36105081
you do realize that they had high bf% right? to protect them from sword cuts, also because having some weight does not hurt for fighting purposes as long as you dont get too fat to move quickly. they did not look like this at all.
>>
>>36105081

They were vegetarians pretty much, so we're the Spartans

Romans thought meat made you slow
>>
>>36105211
Very well.
Most slaves were prisoners of war though, so it's not like they had just a few weeks to get /fit/ most were already /fit/ because they served in the militia of conquered states.>>36105240
>>36105240
>>
>>36105240
this

gladiator's diets were very low in protein

they ate lots of grains such as bread.

they were not jacked, but quite fat looking
>>
They had a nickname, something like the 'bread men' (or something similar, cant think off the top of my head), because of they mostly ate just bread and beans.
>>
Okay so let me put it this way.
You get a slave or whatever and spend tons of money feeding and training him and buying him weapons.
You don't want him to die. Most gladiator battles were not to the death. Many of the gladiators were sponsored (similar to athletes today.).
Most of them weren't slaves as well.
The high body fat thing is maybe false maybe true but sounds good so just accept it.
>>
>>36105240
>>36105252
>>36105269
>>36105276
>>36105282

Lies. Women loved gladiators and paid to fuck them. You don't see women lining up to sleep with /r9k/ so you?
>>
>>36105282
they were called the barley men

barley is a god tier grain btw, i eat it everyday
>>
>>36105240

>you do realize that they had high bf% right? to protect them from sword cuts

That's a myth. There's no written records of gladiators being fat, and most depictions of gladiators clearly show them looking lean and muscular.

Their diet was mainly barley, which is where they got their name, Hordearii (barley men).
>>
>>36105309

Gidf pls go eat some more barely
>>
>>36105081
>to look like pic related
To realize how retarded you sound saying that
>>
>>36105309
You assume that having excess fat has always been considered unattractive anon. This is not the case. Beauty standards for both sexes have changed a shitload over the past 2,000 years.
>>
>>36105526
I've never seen a statue of a fat Roman. Show me one.
>>
>>36105116
Get out.

Most gladiators were slaves used for "human cockfighting" to provide entertainment for the public. There were no "cut" gladiators as all had at least a decent layer of fat (high carb diets) to help protect from injuries. There were different classes of gladiators and a lot of appeal came from watching these distinct fighting styles battling each other.
>>
>>36105309
Need to stop watching Spartacus mate.
>>
>>36105337
http://matsordenruntresa.blogspot.de/2010_09_01_archive.html
hm. those guys in this mosaik are not lean at all, at least some of them are not.

when I googled pictures, some of them where leaner while others where fatter. I guess it depends on from gladiator to gladiator, or maybe some "classes" (those guys that wore more armor) where better for heavier gladiators and the more agile guys would be leaner and use "classes" that would benefit more from being lean and agile.

but I think it is clear that they where none that where super fat. but I doubt that most of them where cut, simply because they had little reason to be shredded.

>>36105309
because they were the equivalent of modern soccer stars. they where super famous and considered manly.
>>
>>36105659
> soccer
Opinion disregarded
>>
>>36105116
>Roman detected
>>
>>36105601

>There were no "cut" gladiators as all had at least a decent layer of fat (high carb diets)

They ate basically barley, beans, and vegetables, very little fat, and spent all day wrestling. There's no way they weren't lean.
>>
>>36105812
>fat makes you fat

ebic maymay
>>
File: carbs make you lean.png (165 KB, 647x1209) Image search: [Google]
carbs make you lean.png
165 KB, 647x1209
>>36105837

Fat gets easily stored as body fat. Carbs do not. A very low fat diet of extremely low GI foods like that is not conducive to body fat.
>>
There was a mixture depending on what type of Gladiator we are talking about. Some types of Gladiator were paid and fed better, some would be a lot thinner due to the high intensity.

A Murmillo for example, would be a lot stronger than say.. a scissor due to carrying the quite heavy shield, mormylos helm and manica, which they would train in, where as the scissor might be slightly more nimble and thin.

As for who they were, a large majority would be slaves and trained into a certain type of style depending on their build, combat experience and where they were from. However there would also be willing volunteers who train under them, ex military from all over the world (as long as they were not at war, most of the time anyway) or the rich.
>>
>>36105309
>DUDE PEOPLE VALUED THE SAME THINGS THOUSANDS OF YEARS AGO THAT THEY DO TODAY

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>36105872
>not controlling for a billion on the factors
Into the trash it goes
>>
>>36105081
I had read a book about the ancient Roman diet. The pleb's diet consisted mostly of grains and vegetables. Fish and meats were pretty rare and considered a luxury. Nobles and probably probably also famous gladiators had a more balanced diet.

It seems that Romans, as a general rule, were doing intermittent fasting - eating very few during daytime, and enjoying a big meal in the evening.

Food was usually boiled (stews and stuff like that). Raw food was frowned upon as it was considered a regression to animal levels.
>>
>>36105872
>Fat gets easily stored as body fat. Carbs do not
easily the most retarded thing i've read all month. kill yourself
>>
As far as lifting goes, Greeks and Romans had a good understanding of PT, especially in professional armies. Most of the stuff they did was for conditioning purposes instead of pure strength training that we do today. But they used sandbags to pick up, throw around, press overhead, do lunges, squats, etc. They also picked up heavy stones similar to strongman workouts. Soldiers would practice throwing javelins and sword fighting, which is a workout itself. They would hike while wearing close to 50 lbs of armor and gear, plus their backpacks (if you've never done a ruck, it's a great workout if you walk fast). They would also do plenty of running and sprints.
Plus most of them had that working man's strength since they were probably farmers, blacksmiths, etc.

So were they super jacked like the statues? Probably not, but they would've been in better shape than 98% of /fit/ (even those who actually lift)
>>
>>36105081
What is beneath your feet?
>>
File: asexpected.jpg (4 KB, 114x128) Image search: [Google]
asexpected.jpg
4 KB, 114x128
>>36109496

Sand?
>>
File: samurai.jpg (72 KB, 466x700) Image search: [Google]
samurai.jpg
72 KB, 466x700
Like people above stated ; Gladiators werent lean, diet was barley, beans and veggies because it was super cheap for the gladiator school's owner. They had strong bones because they consumed somekind of bone-ash that had shitloads of calcium.

So gladiators had thick layer of fat protecting their bodies against cuts. Also i read they had pretty bad muscle imbalances caused by training with heavy wooden practice swords all day and night, developing only their sword side muscles and bones.

Also whole Gladiator thing was not like in your faggot movies, gladiators were rarely killed in combat because they were very valuable. And yes, sometimes free men could enlist as gladiators for certain time (how they arranged it with school owner) but it was basicly selling yourself as an slave, the schools owner had every right to your body after enlisting. So you would get very fucking wreck'd if you decided that you wanna keep pause from never ending sword drills.
>>
File: fat god.jpg (102 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
fat god.jpg
102 KB, 800x1000
>>36105535
here you go :
>>
>>36109654
That's a greek god of winemaking and drunkery. Not beauty.
>>
>>36109589
that is quite correct^^
one thing more the hight body fat was more here for show purpose more than actual protection (you can draw a large superficial wound in a high bodyfat body wich will be clearly visible by the spectator even if they are sitted on the far away place)
>>
>>36109701
>I've never seen a statue of a fat Roman. Show me one.

the pledge was :show me a fat roman statue NOT show me a fat roman BEAUTY statue
>>
Most gladiators were some form of laborer beforehand, or a soldier. They had a pretty filled out body already, and good functional strength.
They ate lots of grains, and were closer to strong men in build (but less size overall, obviously). This helped them survive deeper cuts than other men.
>>
>>36105081
lol you don't know? fucking newfag, Starting Gladiator + GOPAD
>>
>>36109654
dadbod
>>
>>36109842
more like builtfat imo
mirin those hips
>>
File: JapaneseFisherman19thCentury.jpg (127 KB, 600x757) Image search: [Google]
JapaneseFisherman19thCentury.jpg
127 KB, 600x757
>physical labour makes you strong
>>
File: manlet.jpg (46 KB, 580x594) Image search: [Google]
manlet.jpg
46 KB, 580x594
>>36109927
>training with a sword for your whole life makes you big
>>
File: manlet.jpg (76 KB, 525x800) Image search: [Google]
manlet.jpg
76 KB, 525x800
>>36109978
>warriors in traditional societies were jacked!
>>
File: 1454577915790.jpg (185 KB, 960x731) Image search: [Google]
1454577915790.jpg
185 KB, 960x731
>>36105240
you do realize how fucking retarded that sounds right

a cut doesn't have to be very deep to sever an artery or cause significant nerve damage, especially a cut coming from a fucking 15+ pound sword that's razor sharp

dog you should fucking kill yourself if you honestly believe that
>>
>>36107810
it is true though. carbs dont get stored as fat. it is impossible for healthy humans on a more or less reasonable diet.

http://caloriesproper.com/are-carbs-stored-as-fat/

carbs dont get converted to fat in any appreciable amount.

>so why not eat just carbs and lose fat easily without any chance of gaining it back?
the reason why you still have to go to a caloric deficit to lose weight is that your body needs fat to work. if you dont eat an appropriate amount of fat, your testosterone levels drop rapidly, and it will fuck you up.
>>
File: Dubs.jpg (20 KB, 480x340) Image search: [Google]
Dubs.jpg
20 KB, 480x340
>>36105081
Watch the first 2 seasons of Spartacus. Do what they do.
>>
>>36111087
It's incredible the degree of misinformation on planet/fit/ regarding carb intake and what constitutes a reasonable fucking diet
>>
Those cultures often romanticized the human body, they were probably not super lean and jacked. Honestly I'd say most gladiators probably looked similar to modern day MMA fighters in varying weight classes.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.