[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Intermittent fasting - meme diet or is there something to it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4
Intermittent fasting - meme diet or is there something to it? I've never experimented with it, though during my depressed spells I've gone over a day or two without eating.
>>
There is not shortcut in this, m8.
>>
I do it and it's effective. I don't really care about the supposed broscience gains, but it's much easier to stay under 2000 calories if you're only eating in an 8 hour span.
>>
Its not a meme but its not sustainable
Supposedly fasting spikes hgh wich is very beneficial
>>
>broscience bullshit without any research to back it up
Steer clear
>>
>>36103987
What is the viability of only eating 8 hours per day vs. not eating for two days a week? In the end, it shoulder even out to the same, right?
>>
>>36103940
I've done it before with no noticable difference except your poopin' schedule gets thrown out of whack
>>
>>36104020
I've never done full day fasting but the principal is the same. I think 16-8 fasting would be a lot easier.
>>
>>36103940
I do that to 'clean' myself after a cheat day...i usually for it for 24 hours, didn't know it had 'rules'
top kek
>>
Ive been doing if and been dropping weight with little effort and feel alot better.I also lift fasted which for me works better plus there is actually backed science saying lifting fasted is very beneficial your hgh is high then better gains
>>
>>36103940
You should really be able to figure this out by yourself. Yes, it works. All it does is limit your caloric intake to as much as you can eat in one sitting. The only drawback is that for professional weightlifters/bodybuilders/athletes, one meal simply cannot fit as many calories as they need.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (441 KB, 1244x1642) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
441 KB, 1244x1642
Meme diet that ends up giving most people that do it a binge-eating disorder.
>>
>>36104520
Can confirm, I miss me regular poops
>>
>>36104686
Citation needed
>>
>>36104686
>long term weight loss is impossible for 95% of people!
>>
IF is great but people miss the point of it. Youre supposed to train fasted in the morning. Then when you get home just eat from 1-9 or 2-10 or whatever.

Just skip breakfast basically. Wakeup, coffee, workout.
>>
>lifting fasted

Enjoy failing your sets
>>
>>36104821
>lifting with food in your stomach
Enjoy throwing up before finishing a set
>>
>fasting for 24 hours
Sounds like some retarded "no carbs after 8pm" type of diet for soccer moms
>>
>>36104564
I've done 24 hour fasts before, it's not so bad. I do 18-6 erryday and a 24 hr fast once every few weeks. I've been losing weight faster since I started, so I just stuck with it.

Meme diet or no, it's nice waking up later because I'm not cooking breakfast. That, and eating scrambled egg whites and toast at noon is fun because of the weird looks you get.
>>
Wouldn't 24hrs fasting just throw you catabolic? Can I at least down a few proton drinks?
>>
>>36103940
The short of it is that it works for losing weight but sucks for gaining muscle mass. But if you are above 25% bf it's probably the best option for you...and then if you are also on ketosis shit gets real...

1. Eat 1500 calories per day (meat and vegetables only (ketosis)
2. Hop on the EC stack
3. 1 hour of LISS cardio in the morning
4. Lifts weights in the afternoon
5. Time your giant feed meal to post weightlifting.

This is objectively the most effective way to shed pure fat if you are fat as fuck.
>>
I do alternate-day IF + skip breakfast, so I eat 4 days per week. By limiting my caloric intake, it's unquestionably effective for cutting, but it also has demonstrated just how little food I need to eat in order to maintain, which has been an eye-opening experience, and explains why previous cutting efforts have been so lackluster.

Plus only eating 4 days per week is saving tons on my grocery bill.
>>
>>36103940
that's not IF, at least not in the classic sense

IF is +16 hours of fasting every day

it's convenient and works but doesn't do miracles
>>
>>36103940
It's not a meme diet you fucking moron

You still eat the exact same shit everyday, but you just eat it in a smaller window of time so you feel full, so you're less likely to overeat.
>>
>>36105399
>you just eat it in a smaller window of time so you feel full, so you're less likely to overeat.
That doesn't even make sense
>>
>>36105499
Eating same amount of food over 8 hours instead of over 16 hours will make you feel more full.

How doesn't that make sense?
>>
>>36105499
Confirmed fat arse
>>
>>36105325
You say objectively and I'm curious what days you got to back that up.

This looks really interesting though, I just wish I knew where to get EC stack stuff. You recommend doing all this and IF at the same time?
>>
File: image.jpg (243 KB, 1047x539) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
243 KB, 1047x539
Fasting is completely natural , safe and effective.
Anyone that can't see this fact is a fucking retard who fails to see the basic concept of fat storage in human beings.
The reason fat is stored is because we evolved as hunter gatherers and in nature sometimes there's nothing to hunt and nothing to gather .
If there is nothing in your stomach to use as fuel the body breaks down fat for energy.
How can anybody be this retarded to question intermittent fasting.
It's so simple it could be understood by a downy with a brain injury .
Oh yeah I forgot I'm on /fit/ where the average iq is sub 70.
>>
>>36106678
data, not days
>>
>>36106710
Your body also readily breaks down protein because it doesn't give a fuck about your aesthetics or gains. Your body also readily starts to store more and more fat as your fast, beause, again, you subject it to constantly fasting like a retard
>>
I do IF with 18:8 split. It has helped me a lot with losing weight. Makes counting caloric intake really easy and the first meal of the day feels like a reward, so I don't get any cravings. It used to be hard as fuck to leave all the junk food on the shelves, but now it's a non-issue.
I don't think it's for everyone, but worth trying if you are not doing any heavy physical work during mornings.
>>
>>36106752
The body can survive weeks without food. Fasting for 24 hours once or twice a week or training on empty and eating in a 6-8 hour window is not going to break down or hinder gains but it will break down fat.
>>
>>36106710
People on /fit/are generally trying to maximise gains in muscle. Fasting for long periods is incompatible with this. So take your hyperbolic exasperation and fuck off.
>>
>>36107012
>24 hours
>long period of time
Fuck off gypsy
"Intermittent" fasting does not hurt gains.
Suck my cave man cock faggot
>>
should I start eating immediatly after lifting?

If I lift at 7 in the morning but only start eating at 12, will I loose gains or is it just calories per day?
>>
>>36104810
so you lift early in the morning but start eating at noon?
Sould'nt you eat immediatly after lifting?
>>
>>36108418
Calories per day. Your body does nearly all of it's repairs and building while you sleep, so just eat before you sleep. And if you're super worried about your body going catabolic (don't be) just use some BCAAs.
>>
>>36108418
>>36108521
No, why would you?
>>
>>36103940
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms

watch this doco.

trigger warning: there are spoopy skellingtons.
>>
>>36108838
>>36108839
nice, thanks!
>>
>>36103940
An older man at my gym swears by it. He's probably around 52 and he's fairly big and super shredded. He only eats in a four hour window every day and says it makes a huge difference. I haven't tried it for myself though.
>>
>>36106678
It's hyperbole bruh. There would really never be anything other than anecdotal evidence to support it as doing all in conjunction would be seen a unhealthy by a vast number of people, at least in the conventional sense.

I've done it. I fell off the wagon when I was getting my masters and ending up gaining a shit load of weight.

All of those strategies are proven to help shed pure fat and lose weight. Like I said though I wouldn't do it for more than a month though and i wouldnt go balls out in the gym. I started feeling like crap in my day to day life (but I pretty much attributed to the stimulate dependence...).

You can get bronkaid at any pharmacy if you are 18. Go to the pharmacy counter and ask for a box and give them your drivers license. You can get 1 a month.
>>
>>36104006
Except there is tons of science behind it. Why don't you do some research before spreading crap, teenager.

>hurr durr post the research then
Easily googlable.
>>
>>36103940
>no solids

literally wtf

you're jaw will turn to bologna if you never chew
>>
File: 1455860047306.jpg (105 KB, 897x771) Image search: [Google]
1455860047306.jpg
105 KB, 897x771
This isn't related directly to this method, but it's a question about nutrition I wanted to ask: I've heard that if you are on a caloric deficit it's good to have one day where you go a bit overboard to accelerate metabolism. Is this legit? Or is this just mom/broscience?
>>
How do you get enough calories for the week with intermittent fasting? Fasting every other day means you've got to eat 4000+ Calories on the eating days.
>>
I'd love to try 16-8 but that shit isn't realistic with daily job, so I guess fasting for two full days is the only alternative. How do I go about it?
I currently do PPxLx split, should I fast on rest days?
>>
>>36103940
Having tried it for a while i can tell the most difficult part of fasting is getting used to it

If you're used to 3-5 meals a day you can't drop to 24h fasting

Or, yes you can, but you risk to fall a bit further into binge eating.

To be "safer" it might be a good option to start with lighter fasting cycles.

For example my first routines were simply based on skipping breakfast and having lunch and dinner between 13:00 and 20:00.

Once i got used to it and i learned where during the day i could insert my workouts, i was able to safely experiment more intense fasting cycles like eat-24fast-eat-eat-24fast etc.

If you want to try it out do it, it's a good thing but know that there are many different types of fasting and you might need a bit to find which one is best for you

If you're just in a hurry then fasting is not for you, go read some soccer mom diet magazine
>>
>>36110902
> that shit isn't realistic with daily job

Skip breakfast, lunch at 12, dinner before 8?
>>
>>36110929
Ah also, the reason why fasting works is basically linked to Autophagy

You want more info take some Med/Biology classes if your Uni provides em. It's very simple on a molecular level
>>
>>36110965
Is that all that's necessary for intermittent fasting? Shit nigga that's what I've been doing for over a decade. I have always had really good health despite not working out until very recently.
>>
I just skip breakfast, it helps me avoid eating to much. But I don't bother fasting for exactly 16h.
>>
>>36110985
That fits 16:8, no idea if 16:8 is as effective as doing 24 hour stints or whatever but yeah, it does seem pretty manageable.
>>
>>36103940
How to kill your gains - the diet

If you're not focussing on building mass, it's a proper program
>>
I do like 20:4 or 22:2 and it's pretty good since I'm cutting at very low cals and I want big satisfying meals
>>
>>36111028
You don't lose it either though. Unless you're a mountain of muscles
I think once you reach a good form you can use fasting to maintain it and being healthier

If you need to get bigger by A LOT then yes, fasting will make it harder
>>
>>36103940
>exercising during the fast
just no. at lest take some bcaa beforehand
http://www.leangains.com/2009/12/fasted-training-boosts-muscle-growth.html
>>
>>36110965
That doesn't factor training routines. As far as I understand one should work-out exactly before first meal. Obviously you can't do that shit at work
>>
>>36104611
see>>36111120
>>
>>36110845
during the fast you fucking retard

>>36110883
http://www.leangains.com/2010/03/intermittent-fasting-set-point-and.html

>>36111133
http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html
>>
>>36111613
So it doesn't matter when you work out? Will one large post-workout meal really carry you through 16 hours?
>>
>>36111689
if it's big enough, yeah. but i prefer 2/3 meals during the eating window
>>
>>36104686
I had a binge eating disorder
24 hour on-off cycle completely ended it. Even on holidays when I don't fast, I never binge anymore.

Plus:

> fasting improves indicators of health such as blood pressure, insulin sensitivity and inflammation, likely through adaptive cellular responses to better handle stress. These findings suggest intermittent fasting has the potential to improve health and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.

It works really well for me, personally.
>>
>>36103940
Mom, I already told you to stop talking to my internet friends. Stop it!
>>
I personally do it for cutting and it works great. I don't think its a magical cure, and there really is no shortcut to cutting, but it makes it way easier for me to be in a deficit knowing that I can still have a huge ass feast later in the day.
>>
this may be dumb as fuck, but does it matter at what time of the day i start my fasting?
>>
as long as you stick with it no, but for most it is easier to start eating at lunch than it is to stop eating
>>
>>36103940
I fast for 16hours. My feeding period is from 1pm to 8pm. I train at 11:30-12 so that my first meal comes post workout.

Thus far i'm the lightest and leanest I've been in ages, but I feel like I'm the biggest I've ever been too. My strength isn't even declining, it's either maintaining or going up a little slower then usual.

I've been lifting for 4 years, coming into my 5th and so far I believe this is the best thing ever. It's not even hard to not eat.
>>
I enjoy it because it lets me eat like a mastodon in public and make fatties angry.

>must be his genetics
>>
>>36104634
do some fucking research and u'll know the other differences. and u can eat more then one meal
>>
>>36106710
this.
>>
>>36110902
ARE U RETARDED
>>
>>36113619
No, put the eating window where ever it fits into your daily life.
>>
>>36106752
Your body doesn't break down protein for about 3 days, it really hates to do so and isn't nearly as effective as breaking down fat (half as effective per gram).

Your body storing more fat as you fast, normally called starvation mode, comes only after 72 hours. It's only an 8% increase in metabolic rate.

A 12-16 hour fast has no issues that I know of, quit talking out your ass
>>
>>36106752
The body only starts breaking down muscle as fuel after 72 or so hours of fasting. Google it. And since we are discussing this from a evolutionary perspective, the body actually does care about strength and muscle energy (i.e. glycogen storage and fiber size), because it increases the chance of survival.
>>
>>36103940
Seems like an eating disorder more than anything else - starve yourself so you can binge later

how about just work out and eat real, good food
>>
>>36105846
Blood sugar doesnt constantly spike then, read up meathead.
>>
>>36108854
>recommends low protein diet
SHOO SHOO GAINS GOBLIN

Why not use intermittent fasting /and/ high protein?
>>
>>36115362
I find low protons can work wonders every so often. I've done the fast mimicking diet a few times before and that shit like sensitises you to protons.
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.