[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Last Friday I finally made an x-ray of my back because of back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6
File: IMG_20160212_165211.jpg (1 MB, 1824x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160212_165211.jpg
1 MB, 1824x3200
Last Friday I finally made an x-ray of my back because of back problems, thinking I had mild scoliosis. Welp, this is how my back looks. Anyone else with scoliosis? How does it affect your lifts?
>>
>>36029191
Not me but my good buddy has scoliosis on par with yours. He lifts and works construction and it doesn't cause him too many problems besides some mild pain if he works too long, but he's totally fucked in 15 years.
Do whatever it takes to fix it now, before you're confined to a wheelchair.
>>
>>36029191
>losing 3 inches of height
>>
>>36029244
In april I'm going to get an MRI scan and then I'll know wether I need to have surgery or not. I'm currently 20 years old, so I still have time to correct some of my back. But damn, sometimes I deel like i have the back of a 60 year old
>>
I have scoliosis, doesn't affect my stamina for lifting to much, but as a result I pretty much have perma bad posture and have to constantly keep an eye on the way I do my routine.
>>
Damn, that's a bend.
>>
>>36029191

What the fuck, how do you not have constant back pain with a spine like that? Damn anon.
>>
>>36029191
Whoa, snake-man!
>>
>>36029484
Up untill the last two weeks or so, I didn't have any significant pain. Looking at my back now, at seems strange to me as well
>>
>>36029536

Well, I hope they can at least stabilise it. Its a good thing you found out early.
>>
I had a lot less serious scoliosis when I was younger (15), basically got rid of it by swimming twice a week and doing some prescribed exercises each day
>>
>>36029570
Thanks for saying that
>>36029575
I think don't think there is a way to correct it by physical activities. The biggest angle in my spine lies between 48 and 51 degrees
>>
File: 6088-scooby1961.png (50 KB, 201x152) Image search: [Google]
6088-scooby1961.png
50 KB, 201x152
>>36029191
Somebody watched too much of the wiggles when they were a kid
>>
i only have slight scoliosis but it used to give me occasional mild pain. turned out the scoliosis was due to leg length discrepancy so i had the growth of my longer leg stopped with surgery at the age of 15 to make the legs equal. didnt work 100% but i have a 0.5" shim in the shoe of my shorter leg so now things are good. i corkscrew my squats a bit but it doesnt feel bad and squatting straight does so i guess thats just the way it is. im klokov bitch

and fuck these people telling "you can fix scoliosis" when their scoliosis is functional and yours is obviously structural. two different things. you wont fix your scoliosis without surgery but strengthening the musculature around your spine with deadlifts or squats can be the difference between ending up in a wheelchair in 20 years and living to an age of 90 with just about no pain. look up lamar gant if you havent already.
>>
>>36029191
I went to the doctor because I was having back pain and I got like 8 x-rays done (dat radiation).
Turns out my spine is "slightly curved" and according to my doctor it isn't curved enough to cause any pain or damage of any kind. He said it is most likely my posture.(which makes sense because of how I sit at my computer 6+ hours a day browsing an Indonesian fish monger image board)
>>
>>36029937
I have always been wary of squats and deadlifts because of the pressure it puts on my back. Squats give me a feeling of stiffness in my upper back, but that usually goes away very quickly. I haven't really tried deadlifts with more than 30 kilos yet, but as soon as I know more about my back, I will defenitely consider doing them.
>>
Somehow related.
Fellow Multiple Sclerosis fags here? How has it affected your lifting?
Is there things I should leave out or generally stuff to consider with this condition?

Also, this is a health general thread now.
>>
File: IMG_0962.jpg (117 KB, 776x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0962.jpg
117 KB, 776x960
Hey! Another scoliosis-brah. I've been lifting for a few years and to tell you the truth it has limited some of my lifts, heavy squats sometimes give me a bit of pain. However, I think that it's still worth working out and the pain I used to get pretty often seems to have gone away after getting stronger. Best advice I could give is to just keep lifting as best you can.
>>
>>36029888
kek nice trips
>>
thats a disturbing image desu, never experienced back pain but feeling a little paranoid now lol

can spines like that be fixed by working out or how does one improve it?
>>
>>36029191

how did nobody ever say to you that your spine was fucked up when they saw your back naked? presumably you can see the spine bends like that without the x ray?
>>
>>36030530
Not OP but if the bend is not too severe and you're still growing it can be fixed with a corrective brace. If you're not still growing (you should be done growing if you're not underage b&) and the bend is too severe, then corrective surgery is the only option.
>>
>>36030487
How much do you squat or row right now?
>>
>>36030553
ok thanks for the info
>>
>>36030554
I mostly lift for aesthetics because I'm a vain faggot. But my back squat is sitting around lmao3pl8. It really depends on how I'm feeling that day. I wish I was stronger but I don't want to push it.
>>
>>36030487
Thanks for the advice. It's relieving to see I'm not the only one here having a spaghetti back. Do you do deadlifts? How heavy can you go and does it cause pain?
>>36030548
That's the weird part. You don't see much of the curve if you just look at my back. My rib cage is kinda asymmetric though. I'll see if I can make a clear pic.
>>
>>36030689
I love to deadlift, just watch your form. I pulled 4 plate for the first time actually a couple of weeks ago. I've actually never noticed any significant pain when deadlifting. Better to be safe and take it slow though, I'm not a doctor man.

Also a bit of an anecdote about visibility, I actually didn't find out I had scoliosis until I went in for a physical for an intramural lacrosse league. I've always had good posture so I never noticed.
>>
File: IMG_20160216_134443.jpg (1 MB, 1824x3200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160216_134443.jpg
1 MB, 1824x3200
OP here. Pic related is my back. As you might see my right lat sticks out more than my left due to my asymmetric rib cage. The scoliosis is defenitely visible, but not nearly as much as in the x-ray.
>>
>>36030729
I'll discuss deadlifting with my doctor after the MRI scan. So far I have only heard good stories about deadlifting with scoliosis. So I'd really like to start doing them.
>>
>>36030761
You'll make it bb, I believe in you.
>>
>>36029191

I have mild scoliosis (17%) and lifting made it much much better. I used to have back pain a lot before I went to the gym and I think having a strong back is the best way to prevent permanent damage to your back.

You might have to be more careful while lifting and maybe do more volume with less weight while carefully increasing it, but it is doable. I can deadlift 3 plates (lol dyel) just fine now, I work a job where I move a lot of heavy stuff and never had any problems with my back so far.
>>
aside from occasional aches and an irrational fear for OHP, it didnt affect my training much
>>
tfw when u have hidden like 4 inches, ultimate swag - ur really 6'1" but decided to play on hard as a 5'9" or whatever u are
>>
>>36030786
Thanks ;)
>>36031397
Luckily I'm 5'11 and if I need to have surgery, I might be around an inch taller
>>
>>36029353
Get all your gains while you can before you cant lift for a good while
>>
File: panic interstellar.jpg (75 KB, 1284x1086) Image search: [Google]
panic interstellar.jpg
75 KB, 1284x1086
>>36030487
>>36029191

How the fuck did you two go so long before you noticed you were supported by spaghetti

How did you find out? Do I have it? Oh christ, should I see my doctor?
>>
>>36031511
Idk, it was not as obvious as in the x-ray. I also didn't have any real pain in my back aside from slight immobility. Only the last year or so I started getting sporadic pain and that's why I made an x-ray.
>>
>>36029484
how could you not notice your spine isnt straight???? am i missing something??
>>
>>36033827
I knew my spine wasn't straight and so did my doctor, but it didn't look to be as severe as in the x-ray. Also a lot of people with scoliosis don't necessarily have problems and don't need any form of treatment
>>
>>36029191
>Quasi-mode
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamar_Gant
>>
>>36033961
could you post a regular pic of your back? im curious how it looks
>>
>>36034645
this
>>
>>36034645
>>36034942
Scroll up :p
>>
>>36035591
oops found it
>>36030731
>>
I have a noticeable asymmetric rib cage, should i check on my spine?
>>
>>36029191
OP check out this archive on the SS forum:
http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/archive/index.php/t-10831.html

specifically this:
>I think squats and deadlifts should be manditory exercises for those with a scoliosis, with one provision: the base of the scoliosis must be balanced. Scoliosis can be caused by many things. In my experience, there really is no such thing as an idiopathic scoliosis. "Idiopathic" does not mean "cause unknown." It means some lazy asshole didn't know where to look. Anyway, I digress.

>If the scoliosis is caused by a short leg, a wedged sacral plateau, wedged L5, or other asymmetry, then it can be balanced with a combination of heel lifts or a built up shoe on one side, and adjustments to key areas.

>Bone is a dynamic tissue. It responds to stress and builds itself up according to where stress is being applied. Many times, there is an asymmetry early on in childhood and during the rapid growth phase, bone grows according to asymmetrical stress being applied to it. This is how a scoliosis progresses. However, the opposite is true. Balance the base of the scoliosis, load the spine to stimulate new bone growth, and exercise the muscles on either side to balance the pull.

>My patients who have a scoliosis are recommended to squat and deadlift in addition to the treatment and therapies they receive in my office.

>However, if the asymmetry in the spine, pelvis or leg length has not been addressed and you are still operating with an unlevel base, then loading the spine could cause a progression of the curve. It all depends on what the cause of your scoliosis is, and what it currently looks like.
>>
>>36035625
I highly recommend you too. Scoliosis can progress and cause pain later on
>>36035837
Going to bed now, but I'll defenitely read it tomorrow, thanks!
>>
>>36029191
You deadlift will be insane. One of the deadlift world record holders has scoliosis.
>>
>>36035837
>then it can be balanced with a combination of heel lifts or a built up shoe on one side
this doesn't always work for deadlifts and squats though
>>
>>36030731

Poor honey.
>>
Scolio bro here
Currently 21, had a full spinal fusion at 16.
Back still hurt when I was 20 so I started lifting.
Deadlifts and squats have eliminated 90% of the remaining pain, which was already much better than pre surgery.
Don't be a faggot. Get corrective surgery then work your ass off or you'll never make it.
>>
>>36040438
Good to hear you were able to suat and deadlift after surgery. How long did it take you to recuperate after surgery to perform those exercises?
>>
>>36029191
I haven't done an x-ray on my back, but there's something definitely wrong with my spine.
My right should is like 5 cm lower than the left one.
Is this something you've noticed as well??
>>
>>36042015
I am no expert, but that does sound like scoliosis. It can't hurt to see a doctor. My left shoulder is slighty higher than my right. Somewhere in this thread is a picture of my back.
>>
>>36029191
When you sleep just lay on tyour other side so it evens out.
>>
File: ZTlMk7Jl.jpg (62 KB, 640x549) Image search: [Google]
ZTlMk7Jl.jpg
62 KB, 640x549
>>36042863
Lel
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.