[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it autistic to bring a planner to the gym to write down and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: image.png (291 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
image.png
291 KB, 680x680
Is it autistic to bring a planner to the gym to write down and record your compound lifts? I've been going to the gym for 2 years now and I always thought that was stupid, but now I'm considering it since I increase the weight each week. Plus I can look at my progress.
>>
It's pretty much a "what works best for you" thing

No one will usually judge you
>>
no one gives a fuck
>>
>>36013058

It's autistic to ask about it.
>>
>>36013058
A planner? Wouldn't it be better to have an app to track your progress? Even a spreadsheet would be more.comfortable
>>
I use Stronglifts 5x5 iPhone app by Memedi

It's good m8
>>
I use a notepad, I dont see how it could be viewed as autistic.

You can use an app I guess. Personally I hate bringing my phone in the gym and lock it in my car. Dont be a turbosperg playing clash of clans between sets.
>>
>>36013058
I use fitnotes, it's a free app that tracks everything and is simple to use and look at what you did previously.
>>
>>36013058
I have my circuits laid out in excel, which I have on my phone. If I up something by 5 or 10 or whatever, I record it on my excel sheet. So, there's never any guesswork with what weight exactly am I at. I can just check back on my phone.
>>
>>36013103
>>36013122
i like notepads better cause they're easier and i can write wherever i want. i even use a normal wall calendar to track what im doing just because i like it more.

op is probably the same way, if i really wanted to see it on my phone i'd make a spreadsheet or something
>>
No ones cares, but if you don't feel like carrying a pen and paper around try the FitNotes app.
>>
google sheets mothafuckaaaa
>>
OP here. I don't want to use my phone because it will disrupt the music and I don't want people to think I'm using the phone to text people in between sets.
>>
>>36013418
>I don't want people to think I'm using the phone to text people in between sets
You're worrying way too much. Nobody cares what you do at the gym as long as you aren't injuring yourself or in the way. Bring a notepad if you want, just don't be so self-conscious senpai.
>>
You probably should, unless you're like me and can remember the sets, reps and weights of every exercise you did in the last month
>>
>>36013058
Considering that all college varsity athletes do it, you should probably use a planner.
>>
it's autistic to NOT use a notepad because you're worried you look autistic
>>
>>36015200
This x1000
>>
Google docs is great and you can share it with friends, access anywhere, etc. I used to add little notes of how i felt and tracked my diet too.

Its great to look back, for example i thought i gained a ton of weight in a year and it turned out that i lost a pound while gaining strength.

I stopped updating it though b/c i got lazy.
>>
File: Glenn_Quagmire.png (69 KB, 244x357) Image search: [Google]
Glenn_Quagmire.png
69 KB, 244x357
>>36013058
I use FitNotes for that, people think I'm trying hot sloota so I casually giggle and smile while I do my best to hide the phone screen. It's tricky in a room full of mirror but I think I'm doing a good job because people are mirin.
>>
>>36013058

Why ask ? Be a men and do watever you feel like doing.

That being said, Plenty of people are doing it. Why not do it ?
>>
>>36013183
Same. Also chalk makes my phone a nightmare to use. The touch screen gets all weird.
>>
a lot of people do it in my gym, myself included (no smartphone)
>>
Do it at home
How hard can it be to remember your prs, or if you failed a set or not? Shit, sometimes I forget to write it down after getting back home and do it 2 or 3 days later without problem.
>>
>>36018663

what a dick answer
>>
>>36018663
My brain stops working when I lift. Sometimes I forget how many reps I've done in the middle of a set.
>>
>>36018677
Just sharing my experience. I used to do it, right down to warm up sets.
But in the end it's all easy to calculate in your head. If my last PR was X I know that today I'm doing X+2.5, and that my warm up sets have to be X/4, 2X/4, 3X/4. Sometimes it takes me a minute or two to figure out how much 3X/4 is like >>36018689 said, but that's what rest times are for.
>>
I don't know why you wouldn't use an app like progression

routine stored and tracked
automatic rest timer
automatic plate calculator
scroll down to view entire lift history in 2 seconds
form pics AND links to YT searches for form
backup to Dropbox
takes 3 seconds to enter weight, don't have to bother picking up a notebook
don't even have to carry a notebook and pen with you
>>
>>36013058
How else are you going to track progress? Strong for iOS is the best thing out there for that.
>>
>>36018723
.-botnet
.-unnecessary
.-rest timers are GAY AS FUCK
.-playing or even bringing your phone into the free weights area es dumb and gay
Name one competitive lifter or bodybuilder who does this.
>>
>>36018745
>every app is a botnet

Of course it's unnecessary but it lets you actually hone your program to meet the scientific literature instead of saying "rest timers are GAY AS FUCK"

and ~90% of the gym has their phone for music
>>
>>36018764
~90% of every gym is DYEL and/or retards
>actually hone your program to meet the scientific literature
This sounds like sci-fi marketingspeak for millennials. What exactly does it do? Other than the simple sums and multiplications anyone doing any program has to make in their head.
>>
>>36018826
properly timing a 60 to 90 second rest maximizes test/hgh production during hypertrophy

almost a full 3 minutes is necessary to recover ATP stores when training strength

becomes far more important when you're not a dyel, so I'm sure you wouldn't know
>>
>>36013144
fitnotes is goat. I love seeing the trend lines for my workout volume and one rep maxes
>>
>>36018892
Thank god for smartphones. Wouldn't be able to calculate 90 seconds without one. amiright?
>>
>>36018936
yeah until you get lost in your thoughts or forget to check the clock
>>
File: 1455547068711.png (491 KB, 778x736) Image search: [Google]
1455547068711.png
491 KB, 778x736
>>36013058
>Is it autistic to bring a planner to the gym to write down and record your compound lifts?
No.

It's way better than the fuccbois who sit around pecking on their fucking phones.
>muh fitness tracker

Bringing a phone to the gym is like bringing a purse. It lets everyone know that you're planning on lifting like a bitch.
>>
>>36018961
Or chatting with your gym bros
>>
File: (You).jpg (79 KB, 500x625) Image search: [Google]
(You).jpg
79 KB, 500x625
>>36019030
>oops! excuse me gentlemen, my 90 seconds are up *taps phone*
>>
I've always used a spreadsheet, but it really doesn't matter, no one cares.
The real question is, how did you manage to go to the gym for 2 years and not increase weight each week?
>wasn't doing SS
Well there's the problem.
>>
>>36013418
Nobody fucking cares. I browse 4chan in between sets.
Besides, what the fuck else would you do in between sets?
Stop being such a pussy.
>>
>>36019015
I always get a laugh out of retards like you

>totally good to use a notebook to log a workout
>using technology to do it makes you a pussy bitch
>the act of carrying a cell phone in your pocket drops test by 40% and takes 1pl8 off all lifts
>trust me I know and I'm not just saying this because I judge every person in my gym to cover up my own insecurities
>>
>>36019054
Nah I have it set to Taylor Swift - Shake it Off to go off every 2 minutes.
>>
>>36019077
>retard

People that bring their phone fuck around on their phone.

>pick muh song
>check muh facebook
>shitpost on muh chan

It might not be a direct correlation, but most of the guys that use a phone at the gym are weak as shit. When I go to my "real" gym you'd get fucking punched if you ignored someone while fucking around on your phone.

Man up twink.
>>
>>36019077
>YOU SHOULDN'T JUDGE OTHER PEOPLE FOR THEIR APPEARANCE OR WHAT THEY DOO!1! !!
Fuck right off
>>>reddit
ps. using a notebook or a phone to help you remember if you failed a set or not is stupid, anyone who's been lifting for more than a couple of weeks can realize this
>>
>>36019117
>I see people fuck around on their phone
>that means I'll be stupid enough to do the same

it's like you don't even give yourself credit. You're admitting you're too retarded to bring a phone without fucking around on it
>>
>>36019126
nothing wrong with judging people for being idiots but judging people for having a phone on them because OTHER people fuck with their phones is just dumb
>>
>>36019117
What kind of barbaric fucks would physically assault someone for using a phone? Your gym sounds fucking retarded as shit just like you
>>
>>36013058

How is that autistic? I use a note app that came with my phone. Same thing, really.
>>
>>36019148
>You're admitting you're too retarded to bring a phone without fucking around on it
I have the self control to leave unnecessary distractions at home.

When I go to the gym to lift, I lift. When I want to use media, I use media.

Too many little bitches try to multitask their whole lives. I promise I'm stronger than you.
>>
>>36019117
You know you done fucked up
>>
>>36019175
>What kind of barbaric fucks would physically assault someone for using a phone? Your gym sounds fucking retarded as shit just like you
Survive and thrive. When everyone around you is strong as fuck, you get strong too.

Enjoy your planet finess.
>>
File: You-on-the-bench.gif (128 KB, 530x530) Image search: [Google]
You-on-the-bench.gif
128 KB, 530x530
>>36019181
>I have the self control to leave my phone at home
>but not to leave my phone in my pocket
>>
>>36019201
>but not to leave my phone in my pocket
You must not squat much.
>>
>>36019175
> if you ignored someone while fucking around on your phone.
Extremely rude anywhere in the world.
>>
>>36019211
I squat atg and don't have any problems
>>
>>36019213
>if you ignored someone while fucking around on your phone.
>Extremely rude anywhere in the world.
Absolutely.

Imaging going to the grocery store, sitting in the middle of the isle and playing angry birds while people are trying to get around you.

Lol. People need to have some consideration.

Using media in public is borderline autism when you are in a social setting (the gym).
>>
>>36019221
>I squat atg and don't have any problems
Lol, well 225 lbs is easy to handle anyways, so okay. Good for you.
>>
>>36019226
>leave spotify playing music in 1 earbud
>take 3 seconds to record each set
>same as playing angry birds in the middle of a store aisle
>>
>>36019241
>take 3 seconds to record each set
>same as playing angry birds in the middle of a store aisle

It might as well be. Self-absorbed teenager trying to hide from the world.

If you want to be alone, buy a home gym.
>>
I am the only one in my gym that I see using a notepad. I do not care, it is important to me to track my progress.
>>
>>36013058

When I read the word "planner" in your post I imagined you hiring a person to be your gym planner and them following you around the gym recording your progress.

Now THAT is autistic.
>>
File: images (55).jpg (2 KB, 153x153) Image search: [Google]
images (55).jpg
2 KB, 153x153
I keep a training log to track my progression in my routine of weight training. I made a pr, or personal record in the reverse band assisted buffalo bar seated good morning by 2.53 kilograms.
>>
File: 1447333316938.jpg (72 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1447333316938.jpg
72 KB, 600x800
>>36019248
Can't you do it at home, while drinking your broteins and marking your new PRs on a big chart on your wall?
>>
>>36019247
it takes more time to write shit in a notebook
self-absorbed grandpas trying to hide from the world

if you want to be alone, buy a home gym
>>
>>36019294
>Can't you do it at home, while drinking your broteins and marking your new PRs on a big chart on your wall?
Lol, I literally have a dry-erase board on the wall of my home gym to track training and PR's. Ain't even mad.

>>36019302
>buy a home gym
Done.
>>
>>36019310
oh I get it you're actually autistic OK got it
>>
>>36019294
I just write what I did on my notepad cause I have bad memory. Any good android app I can use?
>>
File: 1455157883921.png (352 KB, 600x539) Image search: [Google]
1455157883921.png
352 KB, 600x539
>>36019310
I wasn't being completely ironic, I have one too, with the national records for my weight class marked there as well as a goal.
The point is, you don't need to do that on the spot, and if people around you will see you as a faggot for it, it is not worth it. Lifting with bros gives you extra strength.
>>
>>36019361
>if people around you will see you as a faggot, it's not worth it
>thinking people care this much
>caring about the opinions of people who actually care this much
>>
File: natties.webm (2 MB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
natties.webm
2 MB, 640x640
>>36019384
Don't worry, you'll make friends one day too, and realize what I'm talking about.
>>
>>36019361
Good 4 u dud.
>>
like others said, its autistic to worry about it.

i see guys with notepads all the time. hell, i have even sen a strong nerd graphing his progress before lol. i didn't give a fuck an neither did anyone else..

OP, no one really cares what you do. and so what if they do, they'll forget instantly and go on worrying about their own problems.
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.