[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone have any legit info on wait times between sets? One person
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10
File: werte5yw5.gif (2 MB, 244x314) Image search: [Google]
werte5yw5.gif
2 MB, 244x314
Anyone have any legit info on wait times between sets?

One person says wait 45-60 seconds, another says 3 minutes, another says 60 seconds if 8-12 reps or 3min if 3-5 reps.

I'm less curious about how long to wait, more curious about the why of it. Whats the point of waiting a short time or a long time, why not just go when you feel ready?
>>
Thats what you have to do though.
It depends on the person
>>
>>36008230
but there must be some theory as to way (if you are in the 45-60sceond camp) that waiting too long somehow lessens the gains.
>>
>>36008285
as to why*
>>
Personally I think it's nonsense to assume there's a very specific time you have to wait between sets.
Just go when you're ready and workout until failure to spur that muscle growth
>>
Lets say you...

>do a set of 8
>wait 60 seconds
>do another set of 8 but fail on rep 6

whereas...
>do a set of 8
>wait 3 min
>do another set of 8 and get all 8

when you failed on rep 6 after waiting a short time, aren't you only failing cuz of an ATP or lactic acid issue?
>>
File: Gym in garage.jpg (533 KB, 1840x3264) Image search: [Google]
Gym in garage.jpg
533 KB, 1840x3264
>>36008221
>I'm less curious about how long to wait, more curious about the why of it.

When building strength, i.e. stressing the system then allowing it to recover, the maximum stress is reduced by fatigue with insufficient rest or by "cooling down" with excessive rest between sets. This is usually measured by failed reps, but also by poor form or reduced ROM. The biochemical explanation would more specifically address the why.

>Whats the point of waiting a short time or a long time, why not just go when you feel ready?

If when you feel ready is when you're most able to complete the next set of maximal lifts, then that's the right amount of rest for you at that time.

Everything else is a guideline to help folks pick a reasonable rest period. For example, I rest for six minutes between my three sets of five because I need a little longer than average to not be too fatigued to complete the set.
>>
>>36008221
It depends on what your goals are and the type of workout you're doing. At the end of my workout, I sometimes add isolations to get a pump. At this point, I do a circuit with no rest in between.

At the start of my workout, after warming up, I do my heavy sets and each set leaves me winded with a very high heart rate. Because the weights are heavy (near maximal since I'm a beginner doing LP), I make sure to wait until my heartrate is under control to begin the next set so I don't miss any reps due to lack of oxygen.

You have to experiment to find a good balance for yourself depending on your goals and what you're doing.
>>
>>36008359
>>36008385
This.

The higher your intensity, the longer your rest period should be.
>>
File: Gym moved to new basement.jpg (726 KB, 3264x1840) Image search: [Google]
Gym moved to new basement.jpg
726 KB, 3264x1840
>>36008359
>I rest for six minutes between my three sets of five because I need a little longer than average to not be too fatigued to complete the set.

I should add that I used to get bored while resting and get distracted with some activity, leading to excessive rest and consequent difficulty completing sets. Now I try to just sit on the bench and relax until the timer goes off, or at least stay in the gym.
>>
>>36008359
so really the idea is to wait long enough to not be hamstrung by waiting too short a period, but not so long that you have begun to cool down?
>>
When doing heavy compounds, rest times do not matter. Take as long as you need.

When doing small isolations, 1-2 mins is fine
>>
I usually wait about 2.5 minutes because that's how long on average a song is on my workout playlist
footwork ftw
>>
>>36008221

http://desustorage.org/fit/thread/35747102/#35747102
>>
File: 506_large_image.jpg (135 KB, 800x1035) Image search: [Google]
506_large_image.jpg
135 KB, 800x1035
>>36008469
>wait long enough to not be hamstrung by waiting too short a period, but not so long that you have begun to cool down?

Precisely.

Programming workouts, lifts, sets, reps, rest between sets and workouts gets more complex as as one moves toward one's genetic potential, but novices can and should KISS by following a well-established program.

Someone should write a book about this stuff.
>>
>>36008221
is that the ASMR chick?
>>
>>36008221

https://youtu.be/qTjI_kLqf-I?t=1m31s
From the timestamp there
>>
american rest times are pretty much based on bodybuilding memes. if you're a bodybuilder short rests are probably fine but for strength training the optimum rest time is 10-15 minutes between sets. its just never recommended because its not very practical.
>>
>>36008559
jellybean something or other, yeah.

she has a dance channel too. dont watch it unless you want to live a life of sorrow knowing you'll never have a girl dance that sexy for you, look that good next to you, and talk that sweetly to you.
>>
>>36008567
I want to drop a load in your boipussy
>>
File: 1452025096752.png (35 KB, 315x320) Image search: [Google]
1452025096752.png
35 KB, 315x320
>>36008644
>>
>>36008567
Trappy have you read that article on powerliftingtowin about greyskull vs ss?? It really made gslp seem significantly superior to ss for general strength training (he took up issue with both routines putting ohp on equal footing with bench, but that is for powerlifters, not general str training)
>>
>>36008569
Sheiko says not too rest too long, I think he knows what is up, I think 6 minutes was the most he recommended and that is for sets at 95% or more...

Requesting sheiko's chart of recommended rest times
>>
>>36008601
She has diabetes and will die before 40.

Feelsgoodman.
>>
File: 1454487868082.png (43 KB, 150x143) Image search: [Google]
1454487868082.png
43 KB, 150x143
>>36008729

Nope, he recommends quite long rests. 6 minutes is what he recommends for 70%
http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg620#msg620
He mentions up to 10min for 95% http://sheiko-program.ru/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg317#msg317
>>
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/topicoftheweek11.htm

ATP-PC vs Glycolytic
>>
Unless you try to work up your endurance, it doesn't fucking matter. Generally you want to keep the rest under 5 mins so your muscles won't go cold
>>
>>36008221
Honestly I don't even look at a timer or anything. Just rest for a bit and when you feel up to it go in for another set. On my warmup sets this usually equates to about 30-45 seconds. On my work sets this can be anywhere between 1-5 minutes. Every workout is different. Energy levels fluctuate and so does rest time. Just listen to your body, it's pretty simple.
>>
File: 1445895929369.jpg (60 KB, 466x628) Image search: [Google]
1445895929369.jpg
60 KB, 466x628
>>36008385
Thanks a lot for the insight. I've gotten a lot more out of my workouts by monitoring my breath and how I feel instead of just time
>>
>>36008834
P-pls respond
>>
>>36009428
Who is this sweet boy?
>>
>>36008812
this is the right answer
>>
>>36009112
fml I meant this is the right answer
>>
>>36010264
His name is Francis.
>>
>>36008812
what? jellybean has the beetus?

thank god i never knew her in real life, i would have to sudoku when she goes
>>
>>36008559
>>36008601
American Society of Mining and Reclamation?
>>
>>36008221
I do 30 seconds between sets, 60 seconds between different lifts, and 2 minutes every 3 exercises for water and planning gym path because the equipment is never open in the order I want it to be optimally
>>
>>36008221
You're thinking wrong. Phenomenology is more important than knowing the reason of something. If you know if you do something than you get another thing you're done. But theories are britle. We don't even know how muscles are made. Micro-tears? Hormonal pathways? But we sure do know that if you lift heavy you get stronger. Focus on that.

Anyway.

If you're going for strenght aim at the most rest as is possible. You want to lift heavy and train yourself in the movement.

If you're going for muscle you want to do as much damage as possible to the muscle. There's a tradeoff here if you don't rest enough you might not "punish" your muscles enough, on the other hand if you wait for too long it might not be as afficient as waiting for 60s.
>>
>>36008397
>The higher your intensity, the longer your rest period should be.

this.
>>
>>36010668
Aural Sexrotic Mouthsounds Resonance

frankly i hate it but only because i cant get into it since its a youtube vid. if she was doing that while we were in bed and she was laying on my chest snugglin' id be putty in her hands. even thinking about that makes me want to an hero, for all I know is sorrow in comparison.
>>
>>36008359

>6 minutes between 3x5

That's way too long imo desu f a m 3-4 minutes max.
>>
>>36012729
>>36011235
see
>>36008567
>>
>>36008221
>Pink!
>Hot
>Pink!
>Hot
>Na na na na na na na

Stupid song
>>
>>36008729
lol you got your ass wrecked by a trap how does it feel?
>>
File: 988876126422_frazetta.jpg (23 KB, 187x261) Image search: [Google]
988876126422_frazetta.jpg
23 KB, 187x261
>>36012729
>That's way too long

No it isn't.

> imo

I have no interest in infringing on your right to form an opinion on how much rest *I* need between *my* heavy sets, but I hope you understand that having one serves no purpose.

> desu f a m 3-4 minutes max.

I'll respond to that once the NSA, GCHQ and NAMBLA team have it decoded.
>>
>>36008694
I love that trappy doesn't reply to this post but responds immediately to the guy posting about "dropping a load in [trappy's] boipussy.
>>
>>36011235
>We don't even know how muscles are made
Umm... yeah we do.
>>
>>36008221

When you work out, you deplete your ATP stores. When you rest, you regenerate them. Working out with minimal ATP stores leads to increased muscle tearing, weaker muscles, and worse form.

Thus, for heavy, technically complex, compound lifts such as the squat, deadlift, or bench press, it's best to rest at least 3-5 min. You recover 85-90% of your ATP after 3 min, and 95% after 5. The compound movements, when done at heavy weights, deplete these very heavily, and you really need the long rest times.

However, for bodybuilding purposes, your exercises will typically be less fatiguing and less technically complex. Furthermore, the goal of muscle size benefits greatly (over a long period of time) from increased muscle wear. You'll only need 40-90 seconds at most to optimally reach your goals. 3 minutes won't hurt, but it's a waste of time, especially when you're doing 8 different exercises instead of 3-5, such as in a powerlifting routine.

Also, in powerlifting programs, you'll often do those compound movements 3x a week. This means you need to be able to recover for the next workout. Bodybuilding routines typically have you hit each body part 2x a week, which is a lot more recovery per body part, allowing you to fatigue yourself much more per workout.
>>
File: 1442194985235.jpg (140 KB, 596x960) Image search: [Google]
1442194985235.jpg
140 KB, 596x960
>>36013205
>>36008694

Sorry bby ;;
So many tabs open and so many responses to write that I often forget someone.

Yes I have read pretty much all those articles from PLTW.
Now as for GSLP vs SS, GSLP works well as a successor to SS, not as a starting point (and IIRC that's the purpose of the program).
SS still is the best way a novice can possibly start - you are squatting and deadlifting thrice per week, only focusing on the main lifts, and increasing your numbers in a very fast speed.

The great thing about GSLP is the customisation. Rippletits is a bit anal about customising SS (though he has become cooler about it with the years), and while SS can also be customised, GSLP has a book all about it and that makes things a lot easier for novices.
Rip only really explains how to customise stuff on PPST, and mostly for intermediate/advanced lifters.
>>
>>36013336
im pickin' up what chu layin' down sandpie but u got any sources to back dat chit up, nyukka?
>>
Do your set. Rest. When you are ready to do your next set, rest another 20 seconds then do the set.
>>
>>36008221
a torrent of useful studies showed many which suggested that rest times played little role in anything but hypertrophy, and even in hypertrophy was a small influence for optimal gains.
>>
>>36013211
No we don't. Science is a process not a ridgid thing. Hence singular facts are only as good as our current understanding of nature and ourselves. Our current understanding of the human body isn't absolute.

The microtear theory was disproved. It seems obvious in hindsight. People on steroids grove more than people that aren't - that doesn't fit the microtear theory. Some animals grow muscles without exercise.

The current theory is hormone signaling. It's a good theory because it fits all we know but is it end all of knowledge?

My point is - should you even care? Even if you're the fucking dumbest person and know that if you lift things up and put them down you'll get huge. The additional knowledge doesn't get you anything AND the theory behind it could change to something reflecting reality better.
>>
>>36011880
>this
This
>>
>>36008690
Please leave
>>
I read something about atp replenishment which is very much ties with the 60-90sec rest period.

Atp is what the body uses for immediate energy to do work. In weight lifting almost all of the energy would come from atp. Atp is stored in your musles and gets naturally replenished (by product is ceatine, thus the supplement creatine.. So your body chemical balance is forced to create and store more atp). Now the time for your body to covert carbs into atp again and store in the muscle is continues and takes a long rest time. However in the first 60-90sec your body replenishes 85-90% of the atp, this is optimum for time saving between sets.

High intensity lifts required longer rests so you can be as effective as possible. Thus powerlifting training g has a rest period of upto 10mins between sets.

At the end of the day, as long you are consistent. If you take 1min rests or 3 min rests as you do the same week to week and track your results it isn't going to make a huge difference.
>>
>>36008221
We know you have some more Jellybeannose gifs. homie, don't hold out.
>>
>>36017715
no. atp replenishment isn't the only reason you rest, which is why your second set 90 secs after the first isn't 95% as good as the first one despite 95% atp replenishment.
>>
File: pee yourself.jpg (190 KB, 960x925) Image search: [Google]
pee yourself.jpg
190 KB, 960x925
Wait as long as necessary to be able to finish the next set
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.