[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is my OHP progressing so slowly compared to everything else?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: 598269365.jpg (6 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
598269365.jpg
6 KB, 225x225
Why is my OHP progressing so slowly compared to everything else?
>>
>>35995320
for this next experiment anon, we're going to have you look down at your body. bear with me.

you'll notice that your triceps and deltoids are a certain size. you'll also notice that your quads, hamstrings, glutes, hip abductors and lumbar erectors are of a certain total size, and that this total size is much larger than the total size of your deltoids and triceps.

in fact, your posterior chain is many times larger than the primary movers involved in the OHP!
>>
The deltoid muscle is small as fuck dude
of course is gonna take a while to grow
>>
File: Overhead Press - The thread.png (535 KB, 1864x2068) Image search: [Google]
Overhead Press - The thread.png
535 KB, 1864x2068
>>35995320

Check this shit out. You shouldn't be bothering with lateral raises right now, but the other tips are great.
>>
How about you calculate the % increase that a 2.5kg/5lbs makes for your squat. Now do it for your OHP.
>>
Increase your volume. Only 5x5 is retarded.
After you do your 5x5, pick a weight you can do 15 reps and do 3 sets to failure.
>>
>>35995514

Why's that?
>>
Low reps, high weight.

Work on your lower back & gut tbqh.
>>
>>35995423
Are you using your legs?

Am I supposed to use my legs?

Fuck that shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All shoulder you cunts.
>>
>>35995495
>no mention of dips
all that and no mention of the best way to improve OHP, blz
>>
>>35995558
Huh, I always feel it more in my pecs and triceps before my shoulders
>>
>>35995555
no you fucking quadriplegic, your squat and deadlift progress faster because the primary movers are the biggest fucking muscle groups in your body, which means that they grow more
>>
>>35995499
this desu
>>
>>35995555
You might be legit retarded.
>>
>>35995423
>>35995423
I dunno, I started starting strength about 2 months ago and went from 95lb ohp to 135 for 5 reps. My bench is progressing slower though, considering it's 170.
>>
>>35995659
That's a strange bench/OHP ratio but not outside the realm of possibility. If you are OP, that rate of increase is definitely not "slowly".
>>
>>35995320
low test
>>
>>35995320
Because your delts are smaller than your other muscles
>>
>>35995566
It depends where you stall. My OHP stalls half way up at the extension. My shoulders could keep going but my triceps give out so dips help.
>>
>>35995558

Dips work your sternal pecs and triceps. It's nowhere near "the best way to improve OHP"
>>
>>35995715
Not op, but are microplates necessary? Can't I just do more reps or volume?

For weighted chins I can rep 65 lbs but I was plateauing on 60 lbs for a couple of weeks, until I could finally rep out 65 lbs by just trying to push through it. I didn't change the volume it was just 3x5 weighted chins 60lbs but I would I miss the last 1 or 2 reps. I finally progressed till I hit 5 confidently.
>>
>>35995715
http://startingstrength.com/articles/stronger_press_starr.pdf

I think Bill Starr is a more reputable source than you.
>>
>>35996057
btfo
>>
>>35996057

R E K T

E

K

T
>>
>>35996057
Ayyy Lmao
>>
psychology
>>
>>35996057

I don't disagree that strengthening the triceps is very important for the OHP.

However, you have to realise that back then, the guys who trained the OHP competitively did not do bench presses - so they HAD to do dips in order to develop the triceps.
Check the dates Starr is talking about.

This is not the case to most people here on /fit/, who train both the bench and the OHP.
And if you train the bench and has decent progression with it, your triceps are never gonna be the reason why you stall on the OHP.

In fact, the muscles that will cause stalling are the front delts, of course, and the lateral delts, which are not trained during the bench press.
Your triceps are never gonna bottleneck your OHP, unless it's also bottlenecking your bench.

Just my two cents though.

>>35995942

>but are microplates necessary

Not the microplates, there are other alternatives. But 1kg increments are gonna be incredibly important - I dare say necessary, even.
And while you're gonna be able to "push through" with the chinups and bench, the OHP is not that easy because smaller muscles.

Here are a few solutions to the microplate problem:

- You can buy microplates on the internet

- Some gyms have wrist/ankle weights that weigh 0.5kg. You can wrap these at the end of the bar.

- In my gym we have a few metal handles used for the cable machines, for doing cable crossovers/flys. I brought a scale one day and found out they weigh exactly 0.5kg. So by putting them on the bar and locking them together with the plates, it's a perfect 1kg increment!

- Another way is to get water bottles and tie a string at their top and to the bar. That way you can get even lower increments than 1kg, since you can just fill it with the amount of water necessary (each 1ml is 1g), and the plastic bottle usually weighs less than 50g.

- Other option is to buy washers from a hardware store. They have them in many different sizes and weights, so just find ones that can fit the bar and you're set.
>>
>>35995320

I had the best luck with progressing OHP just working up to a heavy triple 3x/week, doing them as my first exercise. Went from 50-85kg in a few months at 74kg bodyweight, not to mention that for the last month of it (when I hit my 85kg PR) I was cutting
>>
>>35996057
are microplates necessary if you're doing something like 5/3/1?
>>
>>35998379
>Check the dates Starr is talking about.
He references Doug Hepburn and says to get onto the dip bars from a bench. You are wrong
>>
>>35998379
>if you train the bench and has decent progression with it, your triceps are never gonna be the reason why you stall on the OHP.
Lol manlet
>>
File: ohp no increase.png (55 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
ohp no increase.png
55 KB, 400x300
>>
>>35998519

Doug is an exception bby. Powerlifters did not do OHP, and Weightlifters did not do bench. So for the weightlifters, Bill Starr always recommended weighted dips - and it makes complete sense that they would do so, since they don't do bench to strengthen their triceps.
Just read the pdf.

Doug did both the bench and the dips, so you can't really say the dips were the most useful for his OHP. It was actually more useful for his bench, since the bench requires more work from your triceps and sternal pecs, and those are the muscles worked the most during the dips.
The bench, on the other hand, strengthened his front delts and clavicular pecs, which in turn are the most important for the OHP, while also strengthening his triceps.
>>
>>35995715
dips work your clavicular pecs and front delts very hard too, at least if you do them with your elbows pointing behind you. its almost the same movement as OHP but using different ROM.
>It's nowhere near "the best way to improve OHP"
im not into ad hominems but you definitely lack (coaching) experience if you think lateral raises are better for improving your OHP than dips. ive coached a few people too and dips work a thousand times better and every fucking good lifter / coach agrees.
>>
>>35998519
>>35998573

Actually, correcting myself, Starr is talking about Marvin Eder - a bodybuilder, not Doug.
>>
>>35998580
>its almost the same movement as OHP but using different ROM

No, it's not.
OHP = shoulder flexion, shoulder abduction, elbow extension
Dips = elbow extension, shoulder flexion under hyperextension
And shoulder flexion under hyperextension is mostly handled by your sternal pec major.

Heavy lateral raises (not the bodybuilding "isolation"), on the other hand, strengthen both your shoulder flexors and abductors - front and lateral delts, clavicular pec major, traps, supraspinatus.

If you're benching with as much frequency and focus as pressing, like most "general strength" trainees (who are the majority here on /fit/) your triceps are pretty much always gonna be strong enough for the OHP - simply because the bench requires more triceps strength.

The thing is, weightlifters do not bench. So dips end up being massively important for them, since they triceps can easily lag behind.

As I said, these are just my two cents though.

I'm not saying dips are bad or anything like that. I'm just defending that for those that bench, their triceps are unlikely to be the reason they are getting stuck in the OHP simply because the bench requires more triceps strength (if you're lifting both with the same focus, of course).
>>
>Not doing Dips AND lat raises
>>
>>35998573
How much can you dip and ohp?
>>
>>35998501
Basically you were "greasing the groove"? How did you incorporate 3x OHP a week?
>>
>>35998645
>Heavy lateral raises (not the bodybuilding "isolation"), on the other hand, strengthen both your shoulder flexors and abductors
Can you find me a credible lifter who agrees with this?
answer >>35998654
>>
File: 1452561569310.jpg (124 KB, 691x680) Image search: [Google]
1452561569310.jpg
124 KB, 691x680
>>35998654

I don't train dips or OHP bby.
I do coach a few lifters that do, though. And the guys in my gym are excellent pressers, we haven't had a single trainee get stuck with an OHP lower than 56kg in ages.

>>35998684

You need a "credible lifter" to tell you that training shoulder flexion and abduction with heavy weights will make your shoulder flexion and abduction stronger?
Kek tbqh
>>
File: Sheiko.jpg (73 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Sheiko.jpg
73 KB, 640x640
>>35998684

"credible lifter" = someone who roids and has been lifting for 3 months?
Laughing at this board's delusion. The concept that someone's ideas are only valid if "they look like they lift" is laughable.
>>
>>35998710
So how did people progress OHP without microplates? I'm sure it's just practicing the OHP movement more.
>>
>>35998645
dips lack the shoulder abduction but thats not a "critical" aspect of OHP anyway. shoulder flexion is the key component and dips allow you to work the range of motion that OHP doesn't really work, allowing the musculature to be trained more thoroughly.

accessories are not supposed to be 100% the same movement, otherwise just doing more of the main lift would achieve the same thing.

your two cents are shit. every piece of anecdotal evidence shows dips are the shit. lateral raises are good for aesthetics but no one recommends them for increasing the ohp.
>>
>>35998684
>I need a credible lifter to agree with textbook exercise physiology before I believe you

Are you a fucking moron?
>>
>>35998710
>shoulder flexion and abduction with heavy weights will make your shoulder flexion and abduction stronger?
If I wanted a high risk exercise that would develop my shoulders I would do behind the neck jerks. No credible lifter does what you are recommending. How long have you been a coach? I genuinely believe the people you are coaching will fuck up their shoulders

>I don't train dips or OHP
I do
>>
>>35995320
Tips on increasing DB OHP? Can do 20kg but it's hard
>>
>>35998742
>"credible lifter" = someone who roids and has been lifting for 3 months?
No literally any lifter who recommends doing what he recommends. Candito said he would never go above 30lbs in this excercise looking for the video now.
>>
>>35998765
I'm 5'10" 165lbs. How much progress would I expect with the OHP? I'm currently stalling on 100lb, but I need to maintain weight for my sport. I'm the guy that can rep out 65lb chin ups.
>>
>>35998772

>If I wanted a high risk exercise

Are we talking about lateral raises or weighted dips here?
Lateral raises are completely safe, unlike weighted dips which are known for fucking people's shoulders up.

>>35998769

Yes, but the range of motion of the dips work musculature that's not very involved in the OHP at all - the sternal pec major.
The bench is a better exercise than the dips for the OHP, simply because it works more of your clavicular pec major and your front delts.

>accessories are not supposed to be 100% the same movement

Lateral raises are not the same movement as the OHP though.

>>35998765

What? People have always used "microplates". Adding 1kg to the bar isn't a "new concept".

But yes, you can slave away at the plateau, deload, change volume, etc... there are many ways to break a plateau.
But adding smaller increments is simply a way of NOT plateauing.

>>35998805

Candito also doesn't even OHP. His 1RM is like, 74kg.

Lateral Raises are completely safe if you don't do dumb stuff like some bodybuilders suggest you do, like pointing your pinky's up and your thumbs down "to isolate the lateral delts".
>>
>>35998798
Just practice the movement more, i'm guessing. It's how I did it.
>>
>>35998829
>Candito also doesn't even OHP
Neither do you
>>
>>35998850

Candito is a powerlifter and powerlifting coach, she's a strength coach though.
Big difference.
Just check Candito's programs, he barely even cares about the OHP at all. He suggest the Incline Bench over it.
>>
>>35998865
>she's
>>
>>35998829
>Yes, but the range of motion of the dips work musculature that's not very involved in the OHP at all - the sternal pec major.
it doesnt need to be the same. if you were to only partial deadlifts in your training, halting deadlifts á la riptits would help your rack pulls too.
>it works more of your clavicular pec major and your front delts.
[citation needed]
>Lateral raises are not the same movement as the OHP though.
indeed, so why are you saying the dip range of motion being different is a problem?
>>
>>35998819
Should I just be patient with my OHP?
>>
>>35995320
OHP is notoriously slow
>>
i dont understand people who whine about ohp progressing slower than others. ohp is usually around 2/3 of your bench so ofc ur gonna make less progress. otherwise youd soon be ohping 90% of your bench which makes no sense. learn to microload.
>>
Here's a question for you guys;

Would taking a calisthenic approach to delts be beneficial, particularly working towards handstand push-ups?

I know /fit/ shits on body weight shit, but still.
>>
>>35998965
No excercise is a waste of time but unless you have a near bodyweight ohp its definitely time poorly spent.
>>
>>35998887

>[citation needed]

>Bench Press:
Shoulder Transverse flexion, flexion, elbow extension
>Overhead Press:
Shoulder Flexion, abduction, elbow extension
>Dips:
Elbow Extension, shoulder flexion under hyperextension
>Lateral Raises:
Shoulder Flexion and Abduction

Main muscle involved in each movement:
Transverse flexion = sternal and clavicular pec major, anterior delts to a minor degree
Flexion = anterior delts, clavicular pec major, lateral delts
Flexion under hyperextension = sternal pec major, anterior delts to a minor degree (weak under hyperextension)
Abduction = varies a lot depending on the angle, but includes the lateral and anterior delts, clavicular pec major, supraspinatus (at acute angles), etc
Elbow extension = triceps

It's simple biomechanics.
If you wanna understand more about these things, I suggest the book "Biomechanics of Skeletal Muscles" by Zatsiorsky (same author of the famous Science and Practice of Strength Training) and Prilutsky.

So take a look and examine those movements and which muscles get worked on which, and you will easily realise how the bench is better for the OHP than the dips, and how the lateral raises are more useful to help the OHP for trainees that already bench, than dips.

Again, not shitting on dips. They are necessary if the trainee doesn't bench, which is the case with 95% of the weightlifters.

>so why are you saying the dip range of motion being different is a problem?

It's not the range of motion, it's the movement involved. See above.

>>35998965

Klokov does a bunch of Handstand pushups and his OHP is 162kg.
But it's easier to work with barbells and dumbbells since that's easier to progressively overload.
>>
Can mods please explain what their stance on him is.
He is avatarfagging to to point I can't attach a smug anime girl without being associated with him
>>
>>35999106

Using anime pics isn't avatarfagging.
Avatarfagging is when you use a single character as an avatar - as if I was posting with a Mario picture on every post. But posting with Mario, Master Chief, Samus, Pikachu, Isaac, Big Boss... isn't avatarfagging, it's just posting with game pics.

At least this is what I understand from the rules.
>>
>>35999143
I don't get why it's a rule
We have tripfags, that's basically the same thing
>>
>>35999143
Nigger I'v been attaching smug anime girls since your dad said he was proud of his son. You use them to give yourself an identity
>>
>>35999166
Because at one stage there were people pretending to be fictional characters and roleplaying as them in completely unrelated threads. I don't know why people who abuse tripcodes aren't banned
>>
>>35999166

We have a rule against macro image replies. Yet macro images with stuff like "absolutely disgusting" is common as heck.
The rules are just old I guess.

>>35999185

I barely even use smug pics.
>>
>>35999254
What do you guys think of reddit r/fitness or r/bodybuilding?
>>
>>35999201
>Roleplaying as them in completely unrelated threads.

Bullshit, we only did that in the circlejerk threads on /b/. The reason it got stopped is because that was during the rise of the bronies, and all the fags cried that tripfags and avatarfags were too similar to bronies. So Moot created /mlp/ and banned the circlejerk threads off /b/ to stop the tears.

The benefit was that you'd rarely get bullshit from the trips and ava's, and most of the drama came from people who got triggered by it.
>>
File: 1452138520255.jpg (18 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1452138520255.jpg
18 KB, 480x360
>>35999264

/r/fitness is a meme safespace full of normies. It's like planet fitness. Also, lots of bad information there.
/r/bodybuilding is good if you're actually training for bodybuilding (including the steroid use)
>>
>>35999289
This is an anonymous forum. If you want to build up some kind of persona I recommend you try reddit
>>
>>35998878
we use her preferred pronoun as it is polite.

Are you some kinda jerk anon?
>>
>>35999306
You would be welcome by the community though.
>>
>>35999327
I have no idea whether or not this is satire. My preferred pronoun is anon-dono by the way
>>
>>35999336
Kill yourself. He didn't give you any information that the rest of us learned from lurking
>>
>>35999316
More like it's anonymous if you want it to be. The features wouldn't be available if they didn't want it to be available.

Also, it was on the most toxic board as well. Policing /b/ is literally saying "Stop doing what I don't like." It's full on babymode. Crying about shit on 4chan is admittance of how much of a life you lack.
>>
>>35999358
>Crying about shit on 4chan is admittance of how much of a life you lack.
/a/ is my favourite board because of elitism and taking 4chan seriously. I am a normal guy
>>
>>35999341

If you asked me to call you "he" or "she", I would without even caring.
But "anon-dono", or stuff like "xir" is just retarded.
>>
>>35999382
I was joking. Anon-dono is basically the Japanese equivalent of lord. Calling everyone faggot works well.
>>
>>35999370
There's a difference between observing and participating though.

I like when /a/ gets butthurt too, but I'd never cry to the mods about it like the pro-anon fags do.
>>
>>35999306
Thanks. Can't find anything on the faq for r/bodybuilding for a good routine. Currently i'm running a push pull split focusing on the compounds with isolations after.
>>
>>35999444
You misunderstood. I like /a/ and want people like you to kill yourself
>>
File: 1419375709320.png (146 KB, 718x957) Image search: [Google]
1419375709320.png
146 KB, 718x957
>>35999494
Oh, well go fuck yourself then.
>>
>>35998655

I guess I was. I essentially just warmed up doing singles or doubles until I was 2.5kg above my previous workout, and aimed for a triple. If I missed the triple, I'd just do a couple doubles and a back off set or two. If I made the triple, I'd drop down and do 3-4 backoff sets for 5. Sometimes if all the reps felt perfect, I'd conserve energy and go for a new 1RM. It was incredibly mental driven

I don't know why I did so much OHP, I guess I just hated bench because of my long arms. When I was OHPing 85 I could barely bench 100
>>
>>36000386
>Yeah, I hate bench to because of my long arms. Can barely bench 135, but i can do weighted chins +65 like nothing. It probably has to do with how much i weigh.
>>
>>36000685

did you mean to greentext that? Yeah bodyweight accounts for a lot, though your atrocious bench and ridiculous weighted chins means you either way 20kg or your bench form a shit
>>
>>36000942
Sorry, I'm new to 4 chan. What does green text mean? I'm 5'10" and I range from 162-165 depending on how hydrated I am.
>>
>>36000967

your text was green because you put a >
It usually implies that you're mocking or being sarcastic
and yes chances are you have no idea how to bench. Happens to rock climbers a lot
>>
>>35998554
an hero
>>
>>35995659
>benching 170
>OHPing 135

you're doing something very wrong, normal pace should be to hit the standard 1/2/3/4, meaning at your progressiong with 1 pl8 OHP, you should be doing 225 bench.
>>
>>36000978
Thanks for the info, I thought benching was hard, so I replaced it with weighted dips and OHP. Can currently dip 70lbs for 5+ reps, but only 105lbs for OHP for 4-5 reps. Is replacing the bench for those two lifts a viable alternative? I hate benching.
>>
>>36000978
Also, is there a good extension for firefox or chrome for 4chan?
>>
>>35995636
Holy shit my sides.
>>
File: ss (2016-02-13 at 11.29.28).png (29 KB, 895x630) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-02-13 at 11.29.28).png
29 KB, 895x630
>>36001023
1/2/3/4 isn't standard pace, it's just a nice, rounded goal. His bench should be in the 200s with a 1pl8 ohp, though.
>>
>>35995555
Waste of quads goddamnit.
>>
>>36001046

yes, I don't think benching is worth your time unless you're a powerlifter. It causes more injuries than any other lift and there are better mass and strength builders out there

>>36001140

4chanx
>>
>>36001837

That's interesting.

I'm not interested in doing powerlifting but I've been doing SS to get stronger for mountaineering. What would you recommend to take the place of bench?
>>
>>36001991

well, how about push press? Dips too, if your shoulders can take it
>>
>>36002318
Not the dude doing SS, but how are dips bad for the shoulder?

I remember going too low and not packing my shoulders going down and my sternum was on fire in the morning. Now I know not to go too deep on weighted

Also, how much weight should the Push press be above OHP? I'm the chin up guy.
>>
>>36001023
are you a moron? 1/2/3/4 is just a parameter, you should base your goal on your bodyweight.
>>
>>36002412
Are there any guidelines for bodyweight goals? For example, 1x for OHP, 1.5x Bench, Squat, 2.0x, Deadlift 2.5x? Are those good guidelines to go for?
>>
>>36001759
Quads? CAN'T YOU READ? ITS ALL SHOULDERS
>>
>>35995495
Pls dont follow trappy's advice. Look rather for advice from acctual big, strong dudes, and all they will say is to eat big, lift big and be patient.

And don't forget to tighten you core/glutes during the lift and train weak spots with assintance exercises.
>>
>>35995715
Stf trappy and gtfo with all your books. Dips may be not the best assistance for ohp, but it is clearly much better than your shit lateral raises just because they teach your dyel body how to lift heavy stuff.
>>
>>36002643
>tfw a big strong dude was trying to give me tips on my DL
>kept pushing me to start the set, no rest
>told me to use straps and a belt even though I'm only lifting lmao 2.75 pl8 for 5 reps.
>bad form on the last few cause its heavy and he tells me to start building up again starting from the bar.

Your results may vary senpai. This guy was definetly roided out his ass too.

I agree, be patient and eat big if you want to get strong, but the advice trappy gives, besides eat more and get enough rest, seems solid with an underlying knowledge of exercise physiology. All she said in the picture you quoted was too do lat raises for OHP, rest more, eat more and microload if your having issues.

How is any of this bad advice?
>>
>>36002363

it's because they have to flex when they're in a really disadvantageous position - even when you're tucking elbows

in your case though I would say that what happened was not a shoulder problem but instead you may have irritated your intercostals or xyphoid process. It is often a problem if your chest is tight, so try really stretching out your chest before doing dips again

as for push press:OHP ratio, there is none. If your leg drive is good you should be able to do heaps more on the PP, somewhere around a 70% OHP/pp ratio
>>
>>36002805
Yeah, I took a few days off because of that

I did dips after that again and I never had that problem afterwards, usually my triceps fatigue when I get to the 5th rep and I try to get a 6th, which is where I get stuck in the bottom position.

Also, is there a way to get good leg drive on Push Presses? I haven't got the hang of it.
>>
>>36002691
Lateral raises is the bad advice. I don't care if your delts are a primal mover to press stuff above your head, because the ohp still a compound exercise and need your whole body to work. Isolations like lat raises are only good to train imbalances or for rehab, something a beginner shouldnt bother at all. If you want to improve a patter of motion you need to get better at that pattern, stressing your body in that way so it can adapt. All you need ist to incrense volume/frequency, give your body the proper condition to get stronger and be consistent, like every sucessfull lifter has done.

Trappy may know a lot of things, but she should have more humility, shut the fuck up and try to learn from people who really lift. Theorie alone is nothing in pratical fields like weigth training.
>>
>>36002857

it's a lot like getting leg drive on the jerk. Keep your torso upright, and weight on the heels. When you dip down, force your knees out and keep the tightness in your hips, then explode upwards.

From catalyst athletics:
>Secure the bar in the jerk rack position with the feet at approximately hip-width and the toes turned out slightly. Keep the weight balanced on the heels while maintaining full foot contact with the floor. Bend slightly at the knees only, keeping the trunk vertical and the weight on the heels. Transition immediately at the bottom of this dip and drive aggressively with the legs against the floor to accelerate the barbell upward. As you finish the extension of the legs, begin pushing against the bar with the arms
>>
I never did any ohp since i injured my wrists, it hurts when bending back.
When i did my ohp, i progressed by doing micro loading + swithcing my routines from high reps then low reps. I miss ohp, i repped 150 lbs and now i do 0 :(
>>
>>36002892
Thanks for that nice description, i'll try it when I do push presses.

>Driving aggressively with the legs against the floor
Do you have any quotes for jumping, and can I do this for jumping to? I would like to increase my vertical for pick up basketball games.
>>
>>36002988

not really, I mean it's intuitive for most people. Maybe just google it
>>
>>36002877

She's not the one who needs some humility here...
>>
>>36003013
Will do.

Thanks for that description, I would always do my push presses with slow leg drive because I never knew what to do.
>>
>>36002877

She says you should do lateral raises because she assumes you are already bench pressing.
It's solid advice, just like saying lying triceps extensions can help the bench press. Sure you can be anal about it and say "just bench press more!", but it's undeniable that isolation exercises have their place.
>>
>>36002877
But failing a compund lift can also be due to not having a certain muscle strong enough, can it not?

For instance, when my bench was stalling near my chest, I recognized that my triceps were weak as fuck and unable to push the weight in that specific position. From what I read, the part I failed my bench was a position where triceps were used heavily. After learning that, I did some dips/Tricep extensions at the end of my B day and my bench started to improve again for a long time.

Wouldn't it be the same for certain trainees when it comes to OHP? If some trainees fail the exercise at the point of the movement which utilizes delts the most heavily, wouldn't training your delts, or more specifcally, the lateral delts, have a positive impact regardless?

You are saying that the OHP is a compund and uses your whole body, and to get better at it you should just do it more. This is advocated in her advice and then she also reccomends doing lateral raises to furthur increase progress on OHP.
>>
>>36003085
Forgot to add, of course increasing my bench was not ONLY do to adding tricep work, but due to actually doing the exercise as per advocated in the program I was following at that time (GSLP). However, progress was extremely slow for a while on bench, cultivating in me stalling. After adding the tricep work, I did not only break through my barrier but crushed multiple PRs workout after workout, and increasing the weight felt much more comfortable after this point.
>>
File: feel.jpg (59 KB, 633x758) Image search: [Google]
feel.jpg
59 KB, 633x758
My OHP isn't progressing at all
>>
>>35999046
>Flexion under hyperextension = sternal pec major, anterior delts to a minor degree (weak under hyperextension)
why are you leaving the clavicular pec out? why would the anterior deltoid be weak under hyperextension?

if you want to understand these things i suggest looking at anatomy charts and figuring out stuff for yourself. its simple biomechanics.

so take a look and examine those movements and which muscles get worked on which. also you should fucking lift and you will easily realise how dips are better for the ohp than the bench, and how lateral raises are not useful for the ohp.

>It's not the range of motion, it's the movement involved. See above.
the movement in lateral raises differs more from the ohp than dips.
>>
File: 1442194985084.jpg (139 KB, 552x717) Image search: [Google]
1442194985084.jpg
139 KB, 552x717
>>36003549

Clavicular pec major doesn't do much shoulder flexion under hyperextension (if any), it does shoulder flexion from the anatomical position forwards.

The anterior delts do perform shoulder flexion under hyperextension, but it's weaker because it's in a weak position. It's strong from the anatomical position forwards.

The shoulder flexion under hyperextension is mainly a function of the sternal pec major, specially the fibres attached to the ribcage.

This is simply due to how the fibres are attached to the shoulder (humerus), they position in regards to the torso, the vectors of the movement, and the size of the muscles.

Again, I recommend the "Biomechanics of Skeletal Muscles" book by Zatsiorsky (and a good anatomy book, like Gray's, Netter or Moore)

>the movement in lateral raises differs more from the ohp than dips.

Except lateral raises involve shoulder flexion and abduction, both major functions of the deltoid, while dips involve shoulder flexion under hyperextension, a function mostly handled by the sternal pec major (which is barely involved in the OHP at all).

Again, dips are excellent and necessary for weightlifters because they don't bench, so their triceps tend to be a weak point and bottleneck their OHP. This is usually not the case for trainees that actually bench, because the bench has a higher demand from the triceps than the OHP.
>>
>>36003693
>This is simply due to how the fibres are attached to the shoulder (humerus), they position in regards to the torso, the vectors of the movement, and the size of the muscles.
i know the vectors and shit and i dont see why they would be weak in that position. gonna get that book if u cant provide me with the info.

>Again, dips are excellent and necessary for weightlifters because they don't bench, so their triceps tend to be a weak point and bottleneck their OHP.
i dont give a fuck about weightlifters. i never defended that point.
>>
>>36003734

Sorry, it would take hours to explain line of pull and fibre contractions.
I do recommend you read the book if you wanna know more about biomechanics.
>>
>>36003823
Not the anon quotted, but I recommend you stop reading and start lifiting for real for some more years before you start 'couching' here.
>>
>>36003823
i understand line of pull just fine. the book doesnt directly say anything about the delts/clav pec being weak at certain positions. your argument is basically "cows can fly. its very simple, read this 500 page book and youll understand. it would take hours to explain how that's possible."

and i cant prove you wrong either but i dont need to cause no one agrees with you anyway
>>
File: 1448566338452.jpg (20 KB, 255x256) Image search: [Google]
1448566338452.jpg
20 KB, 255x256
>>36003898

Except cows can't actually fly.
If you understand how line of pull works, just look at the anatomy and vectors involved during shoulder flexion under hyperextension.
Read a bit on how stretching affects the contraction and strength production as well.

It's all in the book. Alas, I understand not everyone has a job involving this so it can be a waste of time to read so many details on these things.
>>
>>36003948
>just look at the anatomy and vectors involved during shoulder flexion under hyperextension.
im looking at them and i see nothing that would support your claims. draw a picture, its not that hard.
>Read a bit on how stretching affects the contraction and strength production as well.
the little bit ive read would say stretch reflex is a useful thing

>Alas, I understand not everyone has a job involving this so it can be a waste of time to read so many details on these things.
yeah, thats whats going on. after all, im not in MED SCHOOL and i havent been COACHING FOR 4 MONTHS and im not a fucking trap that barely lifts. youre a bit full of yourself.
>>
So whats a good ratio of ohp to other lifts?
>>
>>36005662
1pl8 OHP
2pl8 Bench
3pl8 Squat
4pl8 Deadlift
OHP should be like 55-65% of Bench IMO
>>
>>36005697
55kg ohp
85kg bench
110kg squat
170kg deadlift.
6'5 90kg
Tall and long arms make you pretty much guaranteed to have different ratios to everyone else right
>>
>>36003998
Leave and never come back idiot
>>
>>36005733
Kill yourself
>>
>>36005733

not even him but you sound like the biggest tool around, your friends if any must secretly despise your company
>>
>>36005836
You think people with friends defend tripfags on valentines day?
>>
>>36005852

You think people with friends attack tripfags on valentines day?
>>
>>36005890
so correcting tripfags is attacking them now?

but youre right, i have no friends. not the guy you responded to but im the one arguing with trappy
>>
File: 7HfZg.png (21 KB, 374x235) Image search: [Google]
7HfZg.png
21 KB, 374x235
>>36003998

Generation wikipedia: if something is not a bulletpoint on a one-page article, then it's too hard to check.
>>
>>36005940

>correcting

I don't think you know what correcting means.
>>
>>36005951
the shoulder still travels past resting length in dips and the stretch reflex makes up for losing strength at the bottom of the lift
>>36005963
i dont think you know what shitposting means. feel free to correct me instead of playing smart and contributing nothing.
>>
File: dips.jpg (90 KB, 1300x1057) Image search: [Google]
dips.jpg
90 KB, 1300x1057
>>36005978

It's not that simple.

Since you say you understand line of pull, check it for yourself here.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1455039948174.jpg (60 KB, 720x896) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1455039948174.jpg
60 KB, 720x896
>>36005791
>>36005836
>implying i have friends
But seriously, don't you fags have better stuff to do then attack a mtf who has literally done nothing but give solid advice to this board simply because she was born with a feminine benis? Good job buying into the kike agenda top kek maybe they'll let you touch one of their shekels before you die
Trappy pls be my valentine
Pic related
>>
>>36006141
trannies are subhuman
>>
File: I came here to laugh at you.jpg (2 KB, 123x92) Image search: [Google]
I came here to laugh at you.jpg
2 KB, 123x92
>>36006141
>Good job buying into the kike agenda
So if I think men have penises and women have vaginas it is because of Jewish propaganda
>>
File: lineofpull.png (266 KB, 503x577) Image search: [Google]
lineofpull.png
266 KB, 503x577
>>36006075
i dont see the problem. the line of pull for the front delts/clav pecs is surely not 100% optimal, but its certainly better than for the sternal pec which trappy believes does most of the work in flexion under hyperextension although the line of pull is arguably even shittier for the sternal pec.

your pic is also misleading IMO, it makes the clav pec / front delts look more horizontal than they actually are.

pic related is an old pic when i argued on close-grip bench and sternal pecs. its pretty obvious to me the front delts/clav pecs work pretty hard, and moving the shoulder to hyperextended (from ~resting position in the pic) doesnt do much to the lines of pull
>>
>>36006193

Your picture isn't under hyperextension, retard. Sternal pec doesn't do shoulder flexion from the anatomical position.
>>
>>36006141
trappy is attacked because (s)he tripfags for no reason and is an attention whore.
>>36006209
dyslexia much?
>moving the shoulder to hyperextended (from ~resting position in the pic) doesnt do much to the lines of pull

i never said the sternal pec does shoulder flexion from the anatomical position.
>>
>>36006193

>your pic is also misleading

How is it misleading? It's a dip.
>>
>>36006218
the fibers in the muscles spanned funnily and the front delt is not drawn completely
>>
>>36006217

>trappy is attacked because (s)he tripfags for no reason and is an attention whore.

She tripfags because people asked her to for months because she gives good advice and knows what she's talking about, unlike you.

>i never said the sternal pec does shoulder flexion from the anatomical position.

It does.
Holy fuck, how can you be so dense? Literally kill yourself please.
>>
>>36006141
Please stop rubbing your fucked up genitials in everyone's face. This is a fitness board. There is ZERO reason to ever mention the fact that you're a tranny.
>>
>>36006228

>the fibers in the muscles spanned funnily and the front delt is not drawn completely

You clearly have no idea how anatomy works.
>>
>>36006231
>She
>>
>>36006231
>She tripfags because people asked her to for months
You don't need a persona to give out advice on an anonymous imageboard
>she gives good advice
She spoonfeeds retards
>>
>>36006256

>teaching complicated biomechanics
>spoonfeeding retards

You're the retard here, thinking you know shit when you're actually completely stupid.
>>
File: line of pull.jpg (70 KB, 446x370) Image search: [Google]
line of pull.jpg
70 KB, 446x370
>>36006193

Took me 10 seconds.
>>
>>36006278
>teaching complicated biomechanics
Posting about biomechanics to compensate for his complete lack of practical knowlege isn't quite the same as teaching it. I have unlimited access to information on the internet and if I wanted to read about biomechanics 4chan isn't where I would look
>>
>>35995495
This is literally a meme. SL increases are 1.25kg, not 2.5kg.
>>
>>36006304

Working as a strength coach with multiple trainees, and working on a biomechanics lab, is way more practical knowledge on how muscles work than you have with your shitty 60kg bench and wikipedia-tier knowledge.
>>
>>36006314

No, they are not.
>>
>>36006319
>your shitty 60kg bench
Firstly i'm stronger than that secondly thats still more than him.
>Working as a strength coach with multiple trainees
So do plenty of people who aren't obnoxious tripfags
>>
File: 1414364922835.jpg (30 KB, 334x242) Image search: [Google]
1414364922835.jpg
30 KB, 334x242
>>36006335

>my 60kg bench is stronger than the bench of someone who doesn't train the bench
>>
>>36006345
Well yeah. Someone who understands theory and has no first hand practical experience will not be a good coach
>>
>>36006364
So, what's your first hand experience, your body weight and your lifts?
>>
>>36006369

He has a bench that's barely above 60kg. He has talked about that before in one of his tantrums against trappy a month or so ago.
>>
>>36006364

You have no idea how coaching works.
>>
File: delt.png (556 KB, 929x407) Image search: [Google]
delt.png
556 KB, 929x407
>>36006231
>She tripfags because people asked her to for months
that is not a reason to tripfag. the quality of advice should not be determined by who gives the advice, thats an authority fallacy.
>she gives good advice
indeed she does and i like that (s)he patiently contributes to the routine generals. that could be done without the tripcode too though.
>It does.
it doesn't. trappy would say so, too.
>Holy fuck, how can you be so dense? Literally kill yourself please.
no need to be mad m8
>>36006241
you can see the lateral part of the humerus but there's no "red muscle" drawn there, although the front delt attaches there. pic related.

also, i recognize that youre the same guy who always starts calling people that argue against trappy retards and instead of providing your own arguments you resort to name calling. "mt. stupid", "you dont know shit" and "get /out/". i will not respond to you anymore.
>>
>>35995555
Delete your 4chan account
>>
>>36006379
I have never posted against him before
im >>36005729
lifting one year marathon runner before that. Post a pic or your own stats or I won't accept any criticism
>>
File: dips.png (177 KB, 385x640) Image search: [Google]
dips.png
177 KB, 385x640
>>36006300
that picture is taken from the wrong direction because the movement does not happen perpendicular to the point of view, so things are skewed a bit. line of pull is judged by how the insertion and origin move in relation to each other and if that line matches the fiber alignment. your green line of pull only matches the beginning the movement (the insertion definitely doesnt travel through that line in during a dip) and if the shoulder flexes even one degree, things change.

i cant find a good picture of the dip taken from the front and drawing the path of the insertion of the pecs is difficult but i think pic related makes more sense than that.
>>
>>36006406

The picture on the right is showing the entire deltoid, not just the front delts.
In any case, it doesn't change anything with regards to the line of pull.

>>36006419

Your drawing gave me cancer.
You have no idea how this shit works. Please leave.
>>
>>36006419

Your green arrow is nonsense
Your red drawing on the deltoid is in the wrong direction. The fibers are not in that position at all, the line of pull is nothing like that.

You are the most annoying fucked in this whole board. The definition of mount stupid.
>>
>>36006419

According to your drawing, the fibers of the anterior delts attach nowhere.
>>
>>36006392
>"Mediocre athletes that tried like hell to get good are the best coaches"
-Rippetoe
Taking performance reducing drugs and not benching is hardly doing that
>>
>>36006419
also, stretches are a good way to demonstrate line of pull. if you do a stretch with shoulder hyperextension it will definitely hit your front delts and clav pecs more than your sternal. and if you stretch with transverse extension, it will stretch the sternal pec more than the clav pec.
>>36006440
>he picture on the right is showing the entire deltoid, not just the front delts.
the point still applies. the dip picture doesnt show the front delt properly, and makes the fibers look more horizontal than they are.
you have no idea how this shit works. please leave.
>>36006463
the green arrow shows the path that the insertion travels through. making a tangent line at one point of the path is not very comprehensive.
>Your red drawing on the deltoid is in the wrong direction
the red shit is front delt and sternal pec. they sternal pec is a bit wrong but the point still applies.
>The fibers are not in that position at all
wat
>>36006483
why do you have to make three posts?
>the fibers of the anterior delts attach nowhere.
what? they attach to the clavicle and the humerus. the humerus happens to be in a position where its not shown properly as there is muscle in front of it.
>>
File: mt-stupid.png (43 KB, 613x481) Image search: [Google]
mt-stupid.png
43 KB, 613x481
>>36006509
>>
>>36006517
called it. >>36006406
>instead of providing your own arguments you resort to name calling. "mt. stupid"

you almost made a valid point though bro. dont be upset
>>
>>36006509

Anatomy knowledge: 3/10
Biomechanics knowledge: 2/10
4chan warriorism: 9/10
Arrogance: 10/10
Willingness to learn: 0/10
Willingness to accept a mistake: -2/10

>>36006528

>if you don't have the patience to teach me how basic stuff works that means I'm right and you're wrong!
>>
File: antdelt.png (397 KB, 436x441) Image search: [Google]
antdelt.png
397 KB, 436x441
>>36006509
forgot to attach pic related. shows that the dip picture lacks some of the front delt pretty well
>>
>>36006565
>if you don't have the patience to teach me how basic stuff works that means I'm right and you're wrong!
if its so basic then teaching it shouldnt be hard.

shitposting: 10/10
>>
File: 1448151962949.jpg (22 KB, 340x506) Image search: [Google]
1448151962949.jpg
22 KB, 340x506
>>36006566

>my anatomy knowledge comes from google images

>>36006577

>Anyone calling me out on being stupid is shitposting!
>>
its gonna progress slowly. i think everyone here knows tfw stall on OHP.

that being said, some people think their OHP is progressing slowly but is actually progressing fast. the big 3 lifts can end up huge, whereas its only the VERY strong guys who can press over 100kg. an OHP of 80kg is very respectable, equivalent to probably a 160kg squat or 120kg bench or something.
>>
>>36006580
>my anatomy knowledge comes from google images
no, it doesnt. it's just way easier to take pictures from google.

good job making an authority fallacy anyway
>Anyone calling me out on being stupid is shitposting!
namecalling and not even trying to explain something is shitposting, yes. being wrong isn't.
>>
>literally every trip thread becomes a fucking shit storm

holy fuck!
>>
>>36001675
yeah but symmetric strength is fucktarded because it is an indicator of strength from a powerlifter's perspective ie. height isn;t a factor. you could be 6' 2 and come out intermediate or be 5' 7 and come out advanced.
>>
>>36006645
You see why we oppose people tripping
>>
>>35995715
Why are yall listening to this mentally ill dyel tranny?
>>
>>35998710

>I don't train dips or OHP
Surprise surprise
>>
>>35999185
>since your dad said he was proud of his son
Wew
>>
>>36006659
height is not an factor in strengh, weight is

usually taller people are also heavier
>>
>>36007119
>height is not an factor in strength
Yes it is a 200lb 5'7 guy at 12% bodyfat will be much stronger than a 200lbs 6'5 guy at 12% bodyfat
>>
>>35995320

The delts, triceps and upper pectorals aren't as big as the quads, hamstrings and glutes. Or the main part of the pectoral muscles.

Also you're standing up and more joints are involved in OHP than Bench, which makes it easier for energy to leak and therefore makes it harder to OHP. But if you manage to lock your knees, tighten your glutes and hips. brace your core like a madman with a belt, you're still gonna be limited by your shoulders and triceps which won't move much weight over that much of a distance.
>>
>>35998865
>he hasn't read Candito's new specialized bench program which OHP/CGBP are a staple to get bench up
>>
>>35995555
Damn dude, surprised you can type
>>
>>35995495
>>35998379
>>35998645
I do 6kg dumbell lateral raises, but have done a strict 70kg OHP.
Get fucked, retarded anime guy.
>>
>>36010339
>implying not doing heavy enough accessories sets an upper limit on how much you can OHP

That is like saying I do not do any tricep accessories and yet I can bench 225 lbs, so tricep accessories are useless!

That does not mean doing the extra isolation work still does not prove beneficial you fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>36010339
I ohp 55kg and do lateral raises with 2.5kg. long arms so I have never failed the lift less than three quarters of the way up
>>
>>36010378
From the image in >>35995495
>trainees that can do 12 reps with 16-18kg dumbells are able to press over 60kg - while trainees that don't do lateral raises, or can only raise around 10kg, often get stuck at more or less 50kg OHP.

Next time read before posting.
>>
>>36010430
Yup, long arms for me too.
They're great for deadlifts, but I can't bench for shit. (90kg bench vs 70kg OHP lol)
>>
>>36010459
Is he from a midget third worl country? If he exclusively works with 5'5 guys he could be on to somethingas they are likely to fail at the bottom. Heavy lateral raises are retarded though
>>
>>35995320
my OHP was stalled for the longest time, until i switched to 5/3/1 - with joker sets and BBB. things are finally moving again!
>>
Opinions on this as an OHP tip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHjGCr8nKc
>>
>>36011586
>6pack shortcuts
>>
>>35995555

bruh
>>
>>36011586
its made by 6 pack short cuts, that should be enough information to decide whether its legitimate or not
>>
File: 1439469455090.jpg (34 KB, 402x366) Image search: [Google]
1439469455090.jpg
34 KB, 402x366
>>36010339

>"I only use two plates on the lat pulldown machine, but my weighter chinup is +60kg"
>have you ever tried using more plates?
>"nah, you're a retard"

>"I bench 200kg but I do triceps extensions with pinky dumbbells, so you're wrong"
>have you ever actually trained triceps extensions?
>"brah I use pink dumbbells because I wanna have strict correct form, you're just wrong"
>>
>>36010459
You forgot the part

>I've found that...
and
>Often get stuck.

Meaning that this was prevalent in the trainees that she has worked with and your results may vary. It is not set in stone that you cannot OHP 60kg unless you can do 18kg lat raises for 12 reps, but it is much more likely that you will be able to as a result of having strong muscles from training lat raises on top of OHP.

I don't understand what your deal is. Just because you do not train lat raises as hard/heavy as others and can still OHP a good amount does not mean that doing heavy lat raises can benefit your Press as a result of strengthening some muscles that are put to use during the movement.
>>
>>36012116
Cannot*

If she said that you NEED to lat raise a certain amount for a certain amount of reps before being able to OHP a certain weight, then I would agree that it is a fucking stupid statement.
>>
>>36012037
But the effect of using light weights with a pause at the top are almost the same as going heavy with lateral raises.
You are a man
>>
File: medium (2).jpg (19 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
medium (2).jpg
19 KB, 320x240
>>35995555
you type like an arab
>>
File: 1451231201482.png (1010 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1451231201482.png
1010 KB, 800x600
>>35995495
Daily reminder that this is the faggot you're taking lifting advice from.
>>
>>36012981
I am erect
>>
>>36010339
>retarded anime guy
>one of the only tripfags that gives out useful advice
okay
>>
>>36012981
I think mark rippetoe in a dress and stuffed bra would look just as femenine
>>
>>36013014
>copy/pastes beginner shit you should already know
>useful advice
>>
>>35995320

Dude, OHP takes a long time to progress because delts are small as fuck, and it's really difficult to lift heavy without fucking your shit up. You need to be way more conscious of form than almost any other lift.

Do these to power through a plateau:
>close grip BB flat bench
>incline BB bench
>DB gorilla press

Incorporate some shoulder work like twice a week.

Bench day:
>5x5 incline bench
>5x5 DB gorilla press
>3x8 flat close grip bench

OHP day:
>5x5 bw pull up
>5x3 OHP
>3x8 weighted dips

But don't expect quick progress unless you're eating like a mothefucker.

Also stop doing shoulder isolations, they burn out your muscles and have 0 carryover into OHP
>>
>>36013059
>implying beginner shit isn't useful
>implying I wasn't stalled on 40lb OHP before trappy suggested lateral raises
>implying
>>
File: 1440472787865.jpg (12 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1440472787865.jpg
12 KB, 250x241
>>36013104
Why do I get the impression that you're a NYR who never read the sticky?
>>
>>36013059

>beginner shit you should already know

Like this?
>>
>>36013133
NYRs have mostly quit by now, if I was what's the point in arguing with people on a recovering armenian cactus fetishist image board?
>>
>>36013165

Literal fucking broscience. Stop being a fucking faggot and lift weights jesus christ stop listening to a skinny faggot who is literally supplementing estrogen. The dude knows exactly fuck all, has taken 0 anatomy or physiology classes, has 0 degrees, and knows absolutely fuck all about anything
>>
because its hard noob. alternate styles. behind head, front of head, snatch grip, push press, strict press then for compounds when you get good; overhead squat and snatch.
>>
File: 1451261013125.png (178 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1451261013125.png
178 KB, 500x500
>>36013248

>Literal fucking broscience

It's straight up from "Biomechanics of Skeletal Muscles" by Zatsiorsky

>has taken 0 anatomy or physiology classes, has 0 degrees

I'm in medschool bby
>>
if you train it once or twice a week it will increase slowly.

many people here are suggesting accessory exercises and more volume, but don;t be afraid to up the frequency by a LOT. do it every day if you want with an occasional day off, as long as you stick to 1x5 or something (and don;t go to failure, stop 1-2 reps before that).

most people overestimate the point of overtraining. fact is that its a very difficult state to get yourself into.
>>
>>36013248
>you can't lift as you normally do and incorporate good advice into your routine

ok
>>
>>36013269

No it's not, and no you aren't. And med school means dick anyway. I work in a hospital, do you think any of the physicians here know how to build and maintain muscle better than me? Nope

Do you really fucking think that people should believe your bullshit on the internet? Every single person who takes your advice is skinny, weak, and unfit. You really need to fuck off with your shilling faggotry

The entirety of success with strength and mass can said in one word: consistency

Literally that's it. Doesn't matter what the fuck you do, you're not going to get bigger or stronger than anyone else regardless of what you do.
>>
>>36013285
>implying

It's not good advice you fucking tard goddamn. Why do all you niggers think this dude is giving you good advice?
>>
>>36013340

>Literally that's it. Doesn't matter what the fuck you do, you're not going to get bigger or stronger than anyone else regardless of what you do.

Found the novice.
>>
>>36013104
>stall
>40lb
>OHP
>The fucking bar
>Never did lat raises before

nigger what?
>>
>>36013353
Dude, a lot of the advice given is simple shit that makes sense.

For example, she always says get a lot of rest, eat a lot, add accessories to SS so you do not enter T-Rex mode, microload if your having issues progressing, etc.

She has an album of pictures showing how to deadlift correctly and my OHP shot up like fucking crazy after I learned that you need to bend in your hips to create a bit of momentum on the push, which she linked in the OHP thread she created a few weeks ago.

What bad advice has she fucking given? I cannot find it besides everybody arguing over how good or bad lat raises are, and since nobody can come to a conclusion I cannot qualify that as good or bad advice.
>>
>>35995555
>>35995590
>quads
>quadriplegic
>>
>>36013353
If we're getting bad advice why bother saying anything? Let a few chumps follow broscience and let yourself go about making sick gains.

We're all here to at the very least be less shitty physically breh.
>>
>>36013389
Are... are you supposed to count the bar?
>>
>>36013441
Yes breh

And if your OHP is only 85lbs it was not because of the lat raises exclsuvely.

Yes,they may help, but at that weight just beign consistent with the exercise will provide the biggest outcome
>>
>>36013441
>weighs 20kg
literally why not
>>
>>36013420

People that are getting 'advice' from a delusional dude who wants to be a girl are not trying to be less shitty physically, they're just looking for attention just like him

You idiots are toxic not only to this board but to basically the entire gene pool. Stop looking for advice from a trap and go fucking train. Talk to people who actually train; learn from them. They'll teach you how to get better physically
>>
>>36013480

>implying trappy doesn't train
>implying trappy isn't a strength coach
>implying a random noob who has been roiding for 3 months gives better advice
>>
>>36013248
this. I don't know how that cock sucker with a mental illness gets so much Fucking oxygen in here
>>
If you want to improve your OHP, eat food and do more OHP, it's fucking simple you DYEL faggots.
>>
>>36013390
>she

SS is stupid, so adding accessories to it is stupid. No one ever who is strong, big, fit, etc for years started with SS. The program is good in theory but stupid and unsustainable in practice. It's boring, retarded slow progression, and just not fun.
>>
File: Lascek.webm (1 MB, 314x480) Image search: [Google]
Lascek.webm
1 MB, 314x480
>>36013547

>No one ever who is strong, big, fit, etc for years started with SS
>>
>>36013547
>retarded slow progression
>boring
>not fun

At least I know your trolling. Progression is extremely fast. You add weight to the bar every time you step into the gym, and during the first few weeks you add 15-20 lbs to the deadlift/squat every workout.

I enjoy busting PRs every day I go to the gym. Going from 135 to 300lbs for reps over the past few months and nothing is more exciting than seeing more plates on the bar.

Also, do not confuse roiders with people that have any grain of valid information for naturals
>>
>>36013547
>mfw I started with SS and am now stronger than 99.9% of /fit/ after 2 years lifting

SS works, and it works very well shitlord.
>>
>>36013502

Got videos of him training? Have videos of him coaching? How many competitions has his athletes placed in? What lifts does he train? Who else is on his training staff? What is the average total of his athletes?

Oh right, can't answer any of that but Trappy knows what he's talking about just becausd Trappy said so.

You niggers are so fucking desperate for female attention that you said fuck it we'll just pretend female and take any kind of attention.
>>
>>36013580

Progress is extremely fast at first no matter what the fuck you do at the gym. SS isn't some miracle fucking shit that makes you grow faster than anything else. And the fuck are you talking about roiders?
>>
>>36013647
Then why did you say retarded slow progression? The scheme it follows is one of the fastest ways to progress for a noob
>>
>>35998554
I want tumblr to leave
>>
>>36013582
I'm think you may be right. I don't like being wrong, but now I'm reconsidering the fact I've been taking advice from someone with no proven credentials.

Oh god, have I been killing my gains for 6 months?
>>
>>36013679

No it's not...

All you idiots who follow SS never actually had a fucking coach that teaches you how to lift.

inb4 rippletits is a coach. No he's not fuck off. There's way more efficient ways of progressing faster for strength and size. But

FUCKING SPOILERS

You shouldn't be trying to progress quickly. You should not be trying to add any weight until you can lift your bodyweight and the bar properly, until you've sorted out technique. SS doesn't fucking teach that because SS is stupid
>>
>>36013582

>Got videos of him training? Have videos of him coaching?

Last thing I want in my life is being doxxed by 4chan, no ty
The stuff I write is there to "prove my credentials". You can judge it for yourself, and I really couldn't care less whether you "believe me" or not. I'm here to help and have fun, not to prove myself as some sort of celebrity expert coach. I never even wanted to use a trip (it gives an impression that "I'm better than the rest"), spent months without one, but it was something that was often requested and in the end the argument that it's useful to identify where the information is coming from is valuable convinced me to adopt one.
Plus, everything I've written is sourced and verifiable - and when it's not, I make it clear that it's my opinion and not objective truth (and I explain why I have such opinion, so that people can also form their own).

>What lifts does he train?

Me or the trainees?
The trainees train for general strength - squat, bench, ohp, deadlift. Basically PL with OHP. PL isn't really a thing here in my country, so there aren't really competitions besides local stuff.

I myself train lowerbody and weightlifting only (to a certain degree), upperbody strength isn't my goal.
bw 46kg
Back Squat 84.5kg
Front Squat 65.5kg
Clean & Jerk 63kg
Snatch 50kg
Power Clean 53kg
Power Snatch 43kg

>Who else is on his training staff?

There are two senior coaches in the gym. I work part-time because of college. They have of course been teaching me the ropes since day 1, but I do have brought some cool stuff to the table myself because of my background with biomechanics and anatomy.

>What is the average total of his athletes?

I mostly deal with the novice and intermediate athletes, the more advanced guys are mostly handled by the senior coaches (though I do help too)
My strongest trainee that I handle directly? He (85kg bw) has a 95kg press, 122kg bench, 188 squat, 201 deadlift - all 5 reps except the DL which he works with 3 reps.
>>
>>36014100
Trappy will you plz be my valentine? I switched from SL to SS for you!
>>
>>36014100

You don't get it you deluded fucking shit. Your claims - your entire post - means nothing. A big cauldron of dicks. You are not qualified to give any advice on musculature, form, routines, mobility, etc and it's evidenced by all your advice being shit. Everyone who asks for your advice is a desperate as fuck naive loser who just wants attention from someone they can pretend is a female

Who gives a fuck if faggots requested your trip? You're trying to blame you're attention whoring faggotry on other people because bu-but they w-wanted it.

Get the fuck out.
>>
File: 1449103048055.jpg (272 KB, 953x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449103048055.jpg
272 KB, 953x1200
>>36014189

Cool story bby

>>36014112

<3
>>
>>36014218

Exactly my point. You nothing else to say because you are 100% attention whore piece of shit. All the fucking obnoxious bullshit of an insecure girl but still have a cock. When you're 30 years old you're going to look at your miserable life and realized it left you behind. You won't be accepted by naive boys anymore, you'll just be that creepy dude who dresses like a girl and never fucking grew up

It's really fucking sad that people actually feed you validity on this shit. But it means absolutely nothing coming from dudes who can barely remember to brush their teeth much less take care of themselves

Fuckin pathetic
>>
>>36014189
lol so much anger, i think someone has a crush on trappy and is full of confused feelings.
>>
>>35998554
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>36013929
Okay, then care to tell us what the faster ways of progressing are or are you just going to keep handwaving everything?

Also, care to explain how Rippetoe is not a coach?

If you are a troll your really fucking good at it senpai.
>>
>>36013502
Nigga trappy is the seconded worst trip on this forsaken board
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.