[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Fighting Styles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 12
File: BLeeVing.jpg (49 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
BLeeVing.jpg
49 KB, 300x250
Thinking of taking up a form of self defense/fighting style.

What does /fit/ think is
1) most practical
2) most effective
3) best for the bod
>>
Muay Thai
Muay Thai
Muay Thai
>>
Bruce lee was a soft fag. Any of the big boxers during that time would whoop him.
>>
I've practiced stroking one dick 10,000 times. Fear me and my dick.
>>
Wrestling
>>
I've stroked one dick 10,000 times.

Fear me and my dick.
>>
>>35790370
Yeah then you can scare the opponent away by being a faggot
>>
>>35790308
1. krav/boxing
2. krav
3. muay
>>
>>35790370
Big lats for aesthetics and v taper
>>
>>35790308
1) A combination of styles
2) A combination of styles
3) Muay Thai

Muay Thai best striking art, Kyokushin/Shotokan Karate are good too if you can't do MT.
For grappling, pick one of BJJ or Judo and also do wrestling (eg. Muay Thai, BJJ and Wrestling)
>>
>>35790308
Most practical, most effective is probably boxing.

The normal person doesn't know shit about fighting, mostly because they quickly lose control.

Also Krav Maga is the crossfit equivalent of martial arts
>>
>>35790381
civilian krav sucks, the krav you learn as civilians has little resemblance to the actual israeli special forces krav.
If you spar when doing krav it can be good, if they tell you its 2deadly for sparring it probably sucks and/or the instructors aren't skilled enough to apply it without seriously harming people. You won't beat a competing mma fighter but that's not really the point of Krav Maga anyway.
>>
>>35790437
Boxing or muay thai for striking; then wrestling for takedowns if necessary.
>>
File: krav_maga.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
krav_maga.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>krav maga
>>
>gunfu
>gunfu
>MMA
When would a fighting style ever be practical fuckin loser
>>
>>35790488
>Self Defense/fighting style
>Self Defense

but thanks for the input
>>
>>35790308
The best dojo/gym in your area. Being taught a decent style well is better than being taught a great art poorly.
>>
>>35790459
just like muay thai is the pussy version of muay boran
>>
>>35790510
What are you pointing out with this greentext
Learn to greentext fag
>>
>>35790611
not him but read op dumb fuck
or just lurk moar
>>
>>35790553
I agree, but who still practices Muay Boran?
It is the current year, after all.
>>
>learning to fight

ahahahaha

AHAHAHAHHAHAHA

i'd love to fucking see any "trained professional" fighter fuck with me and get a crowbar to the back of the head, a bullet between their teeth or something else

I'm fucked up man, you do NOT want to mess with me and everyone can tell, so no one messes with me

but one day, one of you faggots will probably try to fight me, maybe its in the gym, maybe the street, maybe a bar.

just know I'll be ready and you will -not- know what hit you
>>
>1) most practical
pepper spray

>2) most effective
a gun

>3) best for the bod
Lifting + Cardio + Proper Diet
>>
File: yougotme.gif (4 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
yougotme.gif
4 MB, 400x225
>>35790611
>>
>>35790663
Someone's an edgelord
>>
>>35790639
>Most practical
A gun is more practical in self-defense than your fist.
>most effective
A gun is more effective than your fist

Are you as retarded as him?
>>
>>35790663
*cuts enemy's throat with edgy throwing Fedora
>>
>>35790663
lmaooooo
am i witnessing the birth of a new pasta
or is this stale pasta
>>
>>35790663
Jason Blaha pls go
>>
I started kudo/daido-juku this week. It's pretty great. Throws, striking, elbows, headbutts, ground work, using the opponent's clothing against them (similar to judo kuzushi but the "grab" is delivered as a palm strike).

Basically OP, pick one from the following sets
Boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling

Avoid anything chink or gook and anything that sells itself as "military" and you're pretty good. There's some other cool stuff like sambo but it's hard to find so rarely worth bringing up
>>
>>35790473
What is this?
>>
bruce lee was a fedora tipper
>>
File: nohomo.jpg (658 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
nohomo.jpg
658 KB, 850x850
>>35790308
>most practical
Turkish oil wrestling
>most effective
Turkish oil wrestling
>best for the bod
Turkish oil wrestling
>>
>>35790473
I laughed so hard I thought I was gonna die. Ow, my diaphragm
>>
Boxing and wrestling
>>
>>35790308

Back then as a kid I used to do judo/sambo, it is pretty useful and complimentary to lifting.

>lift other people in various fashions
>learn to handle the pain of being strangled, getting your limbs broken, getting smashed down on the floor
>great training for becoming a proffessional rapist, nobody can escape your grip
>learn how to use gravity against you opponents in such a way that they can not get up afterwards, after just one throw

If you are huge there is really no reason to not pick up judo or sambo, you are going to straight out bulldoze anyone who gets in your way.
>>
> Least effective against the feds
Gunfu
>>
>>35790370
Agreed

Wrestling is by far the best martial art, along with jiu justsu. As long as you have a few years under your belt you should dominate most fights.
>>
>>35790308
Wrestling and Boxing. Anything else can be achieved by this combination. Kicks should never be used in a real fight except for certain really rare situations as you are absolutely fucked if you injure your leg which is very easy in a fight.

Generally box until you make sure your opponent does not have a stabbing instrument and then wrestle the fuck out of him.

Source: Third world citizen
>>
>>35790308

>I fear not

I don't believe Bruce said this. That's some cringey fedora king trying to sound cool by talking in a way that nobody actually talks.
>>
>>35792069
>cringey fedora king
So bruce
>>
>>35790308
If you have the strength for it; judo with street rules. You will just bang them to the ground instantly
>>
>>35792065
Kicks are great in fights, but only frontal to the chest or abdomen as well as side straight kicks. Only a master should be able to pull off kicking someone in the head.
As far as boxing goes, I boxed for 3 years, and I will never throw a punch in a fight unless I have to. I'll stick with elbows if I'm going to be using my arms, and not break my hands.
Knees are great if you have the momentum and skill to grapple your opponent after closing the distance.

In all reality if I'm fighting someone, I'll be going under them with a single leg takedown then after slamming them to the ground I'll pretzel em.

Source:
Former D1 wrestler and international wrestler (freestyle)
>>
>>35790308
Military sanshou.

It's literally a combination of all the most deadly and practical kungfu and shuaijiao moves that were often used in the Chinese military.

If you ever look up a video on youtube of military sanda/sanshou then you can see how fast and practical the throws and grappling are.

But since it's military the CCP probably keeps it TOP SEKRET
>>
>>35790663
10/10 pasta
>>
>>35792083
If you're doing it right you don't need much strength. Forcing a throw only really comes up in competition when both participants are prepared for judo tactics.

I'm 76kg and a dude 110kg felt like fucking nothing when I landed a clean ogoshi.
>>
>>35792088
>military combatives
>not a joke
Man you burgerstanis are brainwashed.
>>
>>35792099
You autistic fucks are a joke. The military doesn't tolerate impractical tactics.
>>
>>35792094
Judo is based off of using your opponents momentum right? Or using their center of gravity in conjunction with your own to move them in a desired way.

What type of ground game is employed in Judo? I'm literally just curious, not baiting.
>>
>>35790685
Guns kill people you tryhard.
>>
>>35792127
All of the above. Probably the single most important technique in judo is kuzushi (breaking balance). This can be done through pulling/pushing or setting up the opponent into moving in the desired direction. It's chess as fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfNFjoDuZmU
You'll see in the second throw how he gets his opponent moving backwards before going for the throw.

Literally the same as bjj but without the memes. It's also (in my limited experience) far more aggressive due to the time constraints. The two issues with judo ground work are a) due to the meta the majority of judo places don't train it nearly enough and b) even the places that do a lot of ground work rarely do any leg based locks as they're outright banned.
>>
>>35790308
Did Tae Kwon Do, Krav Maga (with an actual ex IDF instructor) and Judo, so:

1) most practical
Krav Maga

2) most effective
Krav Maga

3) best for the bod
Tae Kwon Do to 2nd Kup - it was basically nothing but doing forms and no contact sparring. Exhausting but not useful.
>>
>>35790663
>leanring to suck cock

ahahahaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

i'd love to fucking see any "trained professional" dick sucker fuck with me and get a load to the back of the head, my cock between their teeth or something else.

Im gay man, everyone can tell, so no one tries to challenge me to a dick sucking competition.

But one day, one of you straighties will probably try to out suck me, maybe its in the gym, maybe the street, maybe a bar.

Just know that I'll be ready and you will -not- know who came on you.
>>
>>35790663
wew lad
>>
File: gorilla.gif (132 KB, 326x52) Image search: [Google]
gorilla.gif
132 KB, 326x52
>>35790663
>>
>>35792155
Looks like dancing. My wrestling coach taught me based off of the concept that wrestling is like dancing. You have to get your opponent to dance with you, and when you do, you control the match.

I saw a lot of moves there that I've seen in wrestling. All very solid and if done in a fight will give you the advantageous position.

Sadly I have not given Judo a go yet. I've only played with boxing, jiujutsu, muay thai and of course wrestling for ten years.
>>
>>35792211
My god, it's sad that everyone here can read that.
>>
I never trained any fighting, and in my college you can sign to 1,2 or 8 boxing classes. Is this normal? Or should I find a real boxing club with regular trainings?
>>
>>35792212
If you've done wrestling and bjj you'll have no problem. There's a pretty big cross over in all grappling styles. Particularly in judo and wrestling since a few techniques kano straight stole from a wrestling manual he picked up in europe.
>>
>>35790663
I will use my Infinite Knowledge and Wisdom...I have practiced the art of Katana Kung Fu and committed to intense Mental Meditation through the way of life and philosophy of Atheism and rejection of vices such as going to nightclubs and pre-marital sex...I will destroy you with this lethal combination of innate power and Strength.
>>
>>35792228
College classes will always be shit and filleds with people going for easy credits or fat idiots.

Go to a real club if you want to do it right.
>>
>>35792256
this.

college-run stuff can be good for beginners but you want to learn from people who are serious, and those people are going to real boxing gyms, not just doing boxing because its there.
>>
>>35790308
1) MMA
2) MMA
3) Wushu
>>
>>35790308
>Most practical
A combination that suits your style
>Most effective
What you've learnt to do good with
>Best for the bod
boxing, muay thai

I played around with boxing, kickboxing, muay thai, silat and kali

Each martial art has certain perks and each has its retarded points, find what sort of style you like and learn it and its cousins.

Bruce was right about one thing at least, absorb what is useful and reject what is uselss
>>
File: 1450651908606.jpg (25 KB, 400x386) Image search: [Google]
1450651908606.jpg
25 KB, 400x386
>>35790683
honestly you martial art fags aren't any less edgier or pathetic than he is, even though he's being sarcastic while you're not
>I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times
you fucking fags prolly masturbate at these 'motivation pics' every time you wake up while fantasizing about beating up other people cause in reality you're all pathetic fucks who are just desperate to try to prove their manliness
>>
>>35790308
mma gym. but just make sure you get a blackbelt in jiu jitsu and become competent with your hands
>>
>>35792303
Motivation pics are cringe in general.
>le spartan warrior overcoming le challenge to echo in le eternity.
You're a guy who lifts heavy things 3 times a week in a clean gym, calm down.
>>
>>35792350
yeah i've always thought that. then i imagine some 16 year old kid in the gym on january 1st, fists clenched, going to prove his honour and his worth to himself and his ancestors...by lifting weights for 45 minutes then going home to play video games.
>>
>>35792404
I mean, I suppose I shouldn't knock people if it actually helps them to get fit. We just need to be more realistic, we want to look better and feel better. There is no need for this warrior shite.
>>
>>35790685
isn't a suit of bullet proof armor more practical for self defense?
I mean a gun is more like offense
and requires more steps to get off an effective shot than just doing your thing with a suit of armor on.
>>
other than guns
what is the best martial art that takes into account multiple enemy combatants at one time?
>>
>>35790437
*Also Krav Maga is the martial arts equivalent of crossfit
fify
>>
>>35792441
None. A few claims to (krab magoo and shitkido particularly) but they can't handle one untrained opponent from the outset.

Striking is your best bet though. In 90% of cases getting gang banged is entirely self-inflicted though.
>>
>>35792420
>isn't a suit of bullet proof armor more practical for self defense?
There is no such thing as a bullet proof armor tho
>>
Hey /fit/ what do you think of wing chun?
>bruceleemofos
>ipmanmofos
I just discovered a dojo (once a week training) 5 mins from me.
Is it possible to be too "big" for wing chun?
I'm pretty fast but heavy (80 kg 176cm 5-7% fat)
Would this be a disadvantage?
Also what (fighting)sport would you advice someone with very heavy legs (35+ cm diameter calves and 50 cm diameter upper legs at widest point, considering they are muscular though)
>>
>>35792545
He has a point, you know.
>>
>>35792551
The fact that it's the laughing stock of martial arts is a disadvantage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTdDEzIt1c8
>>
>>35790352
> big boxers would woop him
> boxers only train to fight with their hands
> woop him
>kill yourself
>>
>>35792560
But there is no such thing, breh
>>
>>35792599
>actor with no record and no credible evidence of any martial prowess of not
>fighting effectively
>not getting crushed by a professional fighter
>kill yourself.
>>
>>35792650
>actor with no record and no credible evidence of any martial prowess of not
Clearly you're b8. Probably cucked by an asian
>>
>>35792648
no that's what im saying, there is no such thing as bulletproof. If you are who i think you are, then im agreeing with you.
>>
>>35790833
ay this guy knows shit
>>
>>35792669
I honestly can't believe some of the stuff shown in Bruce Lee's videos. Like that one with the nunchakus where he just lights cigarretes in the air or the ping pong
>>
File: 1448388525698.jpg (21 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1448388525698.jpg
21 KB, 493x402
>>35792670
We agree. Brofist to you.
>>
>>35792680
....ok pewdiepie.
>>
>>35792669
Feel free to disprove it.

>>35792680
You know the ping pong ad was literally made in 2012 right?
>>
>>35792680
That wasn't actually real, was a tv ad thing if my memory serves correctly

It's not so much his skills, its what he said and did, he pioneered mma and broke the rigitity of martial arts by taking what worked and throwing away what didn't (which may be tradition to some)
>>
>>35792703
what?
>>
>>35792707
>>35792708
dunno I just saw it somewhere, didn't do any research
>>
>>35792715
Is all good, but thats why people find him unbelievable, crazy stuff like the nunchuck ping pong gets mixed up with the truth
>>
>>35790308

>MMA / Jiu Jitsu
> MMA / Jiu Jitsu
> MMA / Jiu Jitsu
>>
>>35792726

Also bruce lee is a cuck.
>>
>>35790319
this
>>
>>35790308
Judo/Bjj
Judo/Bjj
Muay Thai
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2988x3984) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2988x3984
>>35790308
Bro,
>do Muay Thai for a year
>add in a grappling sport for another year, doing both.
>drop both (or don't if you have a ton of time)
>pick up an Asian style, personally would recommend a Kung fu style you like or aikido or a mix of what ever.
>add eskrima classes irregularly or how ever often you want to become the weaboo anime sword fag you always wanted to be
You could become a .01% percentile fighter in 4 years with a few classes a week and it perfectly compliments the /fit/ lifestyle
>tfw massive social and confidence gains from becoming karate kid
>tfw can literally shrek all 4 of my best friends in wrestling at the same time
>tfw the better you get at fighting the more you realize your only at a fraction of your portential and fighting is the best real world rpg of all time
>tfw all my sons are gonna be warriors cause I'm gonna teach them all at an early age
Do fighting bro, it makes your life so much better on so many levels
>>
>>35792708
>he pioneered mma and broke the rigitity of martial arts by taking what worked and throwing away what didn'
Except that had been done literally hundreds if not thousands of times before he was born. If you want to look at an actual martial arts pioneer then look into jigoro kano, the founder of judo.
>>
>>35790308
Learn to box, simple to pick up, yet as you become more technical, faster, fitter, more explosive and powerful you can become an absolute weapon, and fit as fuck.
Learn to grapple too though at some stage.
>>
>>35792769
Not OP but most mma/boxing classes around here are expensive af
>>
>>35792792
Judo
Kyokushin and offshoots.
>>
>>35790308
Anything with sparring, it doesn't really matter. Any of them are effective because with fighting conditioning you should be able to outrun anyone. Learning some parkour is recommended for the ideal fighting style.
>>
>>35792801
this.

but kyokushin needs to allow punches to the face like in the old days.
>>
most practical/effective: https://youtu.be/e1UnsuUFCGY
>>
>>35792836
Most places do in training.
>>
>>35792892
that's actually hilarious, thanks
>>
File: pants.webm (2 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
pants.webm
2 MB, 480x480
>>35792892
>implying
>>
>>35790308
>boxing
>boxing
>grappling of some kind; wrestling/BJJ
Striking aint good for the head son. Also bjj is a lot more fun
>>
>>35792912
do you live in russia or something?

i heard of the new \ tournament rule that they tried out in 2008 or whatnot.

but at my dojo, during kumite, people still apologize when they accidentally hit the face. it's kinda funny cause nasty uppercuts to solar plex are no prob
>>
why do some of you think boxing would be more practical than jiu jitsu? I mean i do neither, but imo anyone can throw a few punches around, but if someone who knows jiu jitsu grabs you and throws you to the ground, then you're in foreign land

also i'd have my face punched before having my arm broken any day
>>
>>35792933
Lived in ausfailia. I went to a class run by john taylor (9th dan under mas oyama) and they had head punches with light gloves and headgear.

Now live in japan and one of my co-workers said when he did kyo they did head punches.
>>
>>35792939
>>35792939
A few reasons:
1) defending haymakers until a bouncer rolls up is better legally and for safety
2) bjj throws are fucking abysmal fom a judo perspective. I'm sure wrestlers would agree. I went to what a friend at a state championship and I saw one clean takedown. Everything else was guard jumping or dudes throwing themself.
3) DLTDs on hard surfaces are a bad idea as either renzo or ryan gracie demonstrated when he shattered his knee cap doing one in a fight in vegas. Are you better than renzo/ryan gracie?
4) getting tangled up on the ground is a bad idea in a crowded situation. I'm not going to say 30 niggers are going to jump on your head and I'm going to assume the idea is to get off the ground as fast as possible but you can still get caught up all the same.
>>
>>35790308
Have fun punching when I break your fingers. If you come in for a punch I'm grabbing your candy ass and breaking the firat bone I get a grip on.
>>
The most practical is a striking art with a little grappling like Muay Thai or a good MMA. I do the former. I don't enjoy it but I know if it comes to it I'll be glad of it. It's practical and it's very effective.

Boxing is top notch too but the former edges it out only because it's important to know how to defend against knees and kick and boxers sometimes don't.

If you're like to get in a fight I'd recommend these. Are they good for the body... well it's a lot of cardio and your gonna take injuries. Muay Thai especially does my legs all sorts of misery.

That said for an all round hobby and past time to both improve your body and mind I unequivocally recommend wrestling.

I love wrestling. 10 minutes of wrestling can be as much cardio as a 5k run and the things you learn and apply in wrestling not only help you in fights but also when you have to control people gently like old folk or girls and kids. Also the value of submissions can't be overestimated.

That said you can be the best wrestler in the world and doesn't matter if you get knocked out by the first punch.
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>35790663
>>
Boxing or kyokushing. Everything else is a waste of time.
>>
>pipebomb
>pipebomb
>just lift instead

there is no effective fighting style. All fighting styles are intended to fight similar or same styles.
>>
>>35793280
>seidokaikan
>literally kyokushin with head punches
>a waste of time
>kudo
>kyokushin with throwing, head punches submissions, elbows and headbutts
>a waste of time
>muay thai
>literally the reason kyokushin has low kicks
>a waste of time

You should probably actually try fighting instead of regurgitating shit other dudes who've never trained say
>>
File: 1447174664070.png (83 KB, 325x322) Image search: [Google]
1447174664070.png
83 KB, 325x322
>>35790319
year and a half in
shits pretty goooood
>>
>>35793295
>he hasn't heard of shinken shobu
>he thinks kyokushin doesn't have elbows
>he thinks pussy muay thai kicks are better than kyokushin kicks

You're literally exactly what you called me. An unexperienced loser that doesn't know what he's talking about.
>>
I'm thinking of picking up Judo some time this year. I have no experience with fighting sports but I figured it would be easier for me to find good training for it considering it's the 4th most popular sport in my country by registered practitioners.
I'm not doing it for le ebin bar warrior, it just seemed fun and balanced. Is there something I should know ? I tried looking in /asp/ but it looks like it's been overrun... I'm just not sure it's really reasonable to try to be serious at both swimming, judo, studies, lifting, there just aren't that many days in a week man.
>>
>>35793286
plain false
>>
>>35792415
>>35792404
Honestly? no joke?

it's cultural appropriation

It's like the people who train 2x a week for a half hour talking about how they could beat professional fighters

I don't get motivational threads at all, tbch. if a picture could make you start working out, could a picture make you stop working out? are you so weak willed?
>>
>>35790352
>big boxers
>people who probably have 100lbs on him
You don't say.
>>
>>35790319

This all day long - every day
>>
>>35790694
stale
>>
Surprisingly, many pro wrestling moves are actually deadly, when you're being trained you learn how to safely use and take them. But if you do it right you can do some sick things.

Check out a lariat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Iyul69NjbA
>>
>>35790663
Heh, nothing personnel kid.
Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.