[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is starvation mode utter bullshit or not? 6'1, 195 lb dude
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5
File: 1447271164666.jpg (75 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
1447271164666.jpg
75 KB, 540x720
Is starvation mode utter bullshit or not? 6'1, 195 lb dude here cutting at about 1100 calories a day, will I just fuck my shit up?
>>
it's bullshit

there is such a thing as adaptive thermogenesis, but it doesn't fuck up your metabolism. it's a slowing down that occurs when you eat a lot less, but if you ever began to eat normally again, your metabolism would go back to normal within days
>>
>>35783105
You are bullshit. Famine response has been a well known fact in the fitness community for years. Wonder why professional bodybuilders never cut with extreme deficits?

>>35783066
OP, you are just gonna lose all your muscle and little to no fat, and you are putting your health at serious danger. Cut with something more healthy, like 500kcal deficit of yout BMR, and do more cardio if you need to lose more fat.
>>
>>35783216
What's bullshit about anything that I said?
>>
It's not a myth, but generally it only applies to people who are genuinely starving, i.e. a deficit of well over -1000 calories for an extended period of time.

"they" say 2 lbs a week is the most you can "safely" lose, so that would be right at -1000 a day.
>>
File: 1345867762129.jpg (15 KB, 307x371) Image search: [Google]
1345867762129.jpg
15 KB, 307x371
>>35783066
>those repeating digits above the post
>dat filename
>>
>>35783216
>>35783105
>>35783261
Now I don't know what to believe.
>>
>>35783216
>Wonder why professional bodybuilders never cut with extreme deficits?
Muscle loss. Now fuck off newfag.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (20 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
20 KB, 480x360
>>35783066
I don't know, you tell me.
>>
>>35783066
Your body knot takes so much of your deficit from body fat. For example if you're normal sized your body will only take ~500 CALS of the deficit from fat, and the rest will come from body muscle, internal organs etc. This is why anorexics have hair falling out, Laguna, dry skin, nails can't grow, and internal body organ failure- the body will literally eat itself alive first.
This is why you don't want a deficit more than about 500 (if your not obese), you will d up losing more muscle than fat. You expect the human body to magically take 100% of a 1000+Cal deficit from just your body fat? We wouldn't be alive if that were the case. Your body compensates for you
>>
>>35783592
please stop with this nonsense

why do you people act like fat has no purpose? why on earth would a body consume its own essential organs before consuming the thing WHOSE SOLE PURPOSE is to be consumed when you are at a caloric deficit?

it doesn't make any sense, and it's demonstrably false
>>
>>35783592
>n 1965, a severely obese man starved himself and survived off his body fat for 1 year and 17 days. He was continually monitored by University of Dundee medical staff in Scotland who only fed him yeast, multi-vitamins and occasionally potassium for his heart. They kept their eye on his condition and took routine blood tests. After all was said and done, he had dropped from 456 pounds to 180 pounds. He was weighed again 5 years later and had only put on 15 pounds.
>>
>>35783066
way too big of a deficit
>>
>>35783621
>its bullshit that your body wants to keep energy reserves and warmth
How stupid are you? You can read about the effects of anorexia on Google for real life references of what happens to your body. By your logic anorexia wouldn't exist.
>>
>>35783631
Yeast has plenty of calories. Either that, or he was genetic freak.
>>
>>35783216
I hope this is bait
If not, you mean tdee not bmr.
If you eat below your bmr for a long period of time you will starve
>>
>>35783631
How is this relevant? I specifically mentioned multiple times in the post that that would only apply to normal sized, non obese people. Obese people will have much higher tolerances of calorie deficit because their bodies have a much higher % to give
>what is reading comprehension
>>
>>35783651
anorexia obviously exists. it just doesn't exist for overweight people
>>
>>35783674
OP here, doesn't make much of a difference to me. I'm a neet that barely moves at all (literally just sitting and laying all day), except when lifting at my homegym every other day.
>>
>>35783651
it's bullshit that it wants to keep it's energy reseverse MORE THAN ITS INTERNAL ORGANS

holy shit, I can't believe anyone could be this dumb. it doesn't even begin to make sense.
>>
>>35783713
By definition you cannot be anorexic and fat at the same time, but no that doesn't mean people don't go from fat to anorexic. I personally did. I personally have experienced what happen when you eat at a 1000+ Cal deficit and its not pretty.
>>
>>35783780
sure, you can go from fat to anorexic, and I agree that you shouldn't eat way below your TDEE if you're not fat. But if you have weight to lose (the only reason you should diet anyway) you're not going to consume your organs.

And I have experience in eating at a 1000 cal deficit too; I was just never anorexic

and the results were brilliant. I lost a whole bunch of weight, and my hair remains firmly atop my head
>>
>>35783733
>the lower the bodyfat the healthier
The internal organs aren't prioritized over your body canabalizing its muscle tissue. It moves onto internal organ damage once its starts to exhaust other resources such as said muscle tissue and fat. Your body REQUIRES a certain level of bf% to survive, so it makes no sense that it would choose to completely take away only all fat until its 0%. Females in particular need to maintain at least 15-20% Bf to be able to reproduce.
I know you guys think fat is "icky" , but you do require some level of it to survive.
>>
>>35783860
look, if you're at the level of bf% where you're in danger of going too low YOU DON'T NEED TO DIET

stop acting as if OP doesn't have fat to burn. all of that shit doesn't apply to him.
>>
>>35783592
Stop this shit. Nonsense based on nothing.
>>35783066
If you eat something every day, there is no starvation mode.
>>
>>35783780
Me too.

I lost weight. 50kg.

Why, what happened to you?
>>
>>35783816
That post specifically addresses only normal sized people within a healthy bmi range, not obese people. You can cause bodily damage without being technically underweight. The lowest I got was 125 at 5'7 which is still about 19-20 bmi- yet because my deficit was so high for so long my body had destroyed a lot of muscle and simple things like skin hair and nails don't grow at all or grow out already damaged. Keeping warm was quite difficult as well. Point being you don't have to be medically underweight for your body to start eating itself. But if you're quite fat this is likely not a problem( as stated originally)
>>
>>35783733
being alive means you have a chance to sexually reproduce. That's all your body really cares about, when push come to shove. Your hair, teeth, skin, stomach, and other internal organs will start to be broken down before every gram of fat is used because your body needs fat to stay alive, and to reproduce. Internal organs can be sacrificed without death or no chance of reproduction, but not literally all of your fat. I was threatened with hospitalization because of danger to organ failure, yet I still had small amounts of fat in my body. If you've never been there then good for you, but stfu about stuff you have no experience with.
>>
>>35783876
I started off at 15x lbs, very much diet worthy. It took me about a month or two before my body started destroying muscle etc. Its not like this isn't a common occurrence. People often end up losing just as much muscle weight as fat when they go on diets
>>
>>35783973
Maybe you should have gotten off your lazy ass and gone to the gym

And now we're talking about muscle, which your body would obviously burn. But people often lose a bunch of muscle because they don't exercise.

And it's almost never "just as much" muscle as fat

Why are you assholes so insistent on pushing broscience nonsense that serves no purpose other than to scare people from losing weight? None of it is true.
>>
>>35783066
Starvation mode is kind of bullshit kind of not.
Eating a low calorie diet will lower your metabolism as your body gets used to it. Best thing to do is full on fasting. Apparently when you're fasting your body does not lower metabolism the way it does on an extremely restricted calorie diet. And your body only goes into starvation mode once you're literally starving. As long as you have excess body fat you are not starving and your body won't react as if you are.

Anyway, best way to cut is a sort of intermittent fasting. Eat regular, lowish calories on days you eat but do like 3-4 days of water fasting a week. You can split it up or do it all in one go, either works, but keep in mind the benefits of fasting increase the longer you go. So like eat regularly fri-sat-sun, then eat nothing mon-thur. Even if you eat 2500 cal/day on those three days that' still ~1070 cal/day average, but without the negatives of a very low calorie diet and your body adapting to it.
>>
>>35783966
What are you idiots even on about? I know you can't have zero percent body fat and live.

OP has a bmi over 25. Why are you talking about this anorexic nonsense as if it applies to him? It's not what anyone is talking about at all.
>>
You will not lose muscle. At my peak weight I was 186 pounds (5'6" and I was 130 before I started bulking, but I obviously gained a shitload of fat too). That was 2 years ago. I haven't done weightlifting since then and have done many diets and even fasts. I am now 155 at about 15% body fat. I've lost at most 5-10 pounds of muscle after 2 years and that's to be expected when you stop hitting the gym completely after a huge bulk.
>>
File: 1425195088984.png (117 KB, 330x317) Image search: [Google]
1425195088984.png
117 KB, 330x317
>>35783456
>mfw all those fatties saying they eat too little
>>
>>35784019
How old are you?

And I'm glad for that. I've been paranoid as I've been sidelined from the gym for about 2 months, but I've still been eating at a small deficit. I don't want to get too much weaker (I'm weak af as it is)
>>
>>35783733
>>35784015
Are you serious? I hope this isn't the same person.
>>
>>35783966
OP here, fuck that shit. I'm not aiming for auschwitz refugee of the year -award, just trying to cut to maybe sub 15% BF. Obviously the body needs some fat, but don't tell me my spleen and second kidney are gonna stop functioning because I cut a bit too fast inside the healthy bodyfat ranges.
>>
>>35784057
M8, you can, if you want, take that comment out of its context (the context is that we are addressing OP and his condition).

If you do, then fine. I said that it doesn't want to burn its organs before fat. I didn't explicitly state "unless you have too little body fat", because given the context, I felt like I didn't have to give every single caveat.

Again, you can, if you'd like, think that I meant that there is no circumstance under which your body would do that. I didn't mean that, but if it makes you feel better, I don't mind if you think that I did.
>>
>>35783456
>that pot bellied little faggot in the background pretending he is starving to get some extra grub
Goddamn fatties are the same all over the world.
>>
>>35784089
The context was the post that you responded to, and the previous one's you'd responded to. You didn't provide any caveats, at all. You said it was stupid, and that people are dumb for believing it. You said it was demonstrably false. People provided arguments that contradicted your point, and you didn't change anything about your position. That's when you could have provided ONE caveat. But you didn't. Maybe if you don't want people to take your shit out of context, then you should think before you start writing.
>>
>>35783216
>>35783592
>>35783651
you fuckers are dumb, do you even know whats a VLCD, PSMF or lyle mcdonald RFL is?
>>
>>35784204
I also responded to that post with "anorexic obviously exists. It just doesn't exist for overweight people"

Again, if you need to feel right, then fine. I"m okay with that.

I was only doing this in the context of OP's concern. That you (or whomever) brought up anorexia at all was somewhat confusing.
>>
>>35784048

I'm 20 I stopped working out in Junior year of High School so 3 years ago actually.
>>
>>35784278
You admitted anorexia exists, yes, but you vehemently denied physiological symptoms of anorexia with little explanation other than "it's stupid". I don't need to feel right, but you're refusing to admit that you were being vague as fuck.

And because it's related physiologically holy shit. We're talking about denying people calories. A lot of calories. That's relevant. If OP cut on 1100 calories and dropped well below his current weight that shit would start happening.
>>
>>35784416
Right, it would happen if OP's situation were completely different.

But it's not. Currently, it is what it is. If OP had asked, "Should I become anorexic?" I would tell him no.

He didn't. He asked if, at his height and weight, he would experience "starvation mode" if he ate 1100 calories, and I told him that he wouldn't. Because he won't.
>>
File: 1343443443120.jpg (29 KB, 265x302) Image search: [Google]
1343443443120.jpg
29 KB, 265x302
>>35783592
holy fucking christ you're a fucking idiot

your body is going to cannibalize ESSENTIAL ORGANS before tapping ENERGY RESERVES?

you STUPID FUCKING RETARD
>>
>>35783998
>And now we're talking about muscle, which your body would obviously burn
FUCKING RETARD

Muscle contains about 500kcal/lb
Muscle is not an energy store
Muscle is only catabolized do to inactivity or to supply protein to organs in the event of inadequate dietary protein
>>
>>35784622
Not all organs are essential. You need a certain amount of BF to be able to reproduce, and that's all that matters.
>>
OP, how about you go ask a professional dietician instead of risking your health and asking clueless anonymous NEETS with no medical background on a Portuguese dogging website.
>>
>>35784705
>what is BMR
You are an idiot, please stop giving advice.
>>
>>35784416
unless the person is <5% BF, physiological symptoms of "anorexia" are caused by protein deficiency or micro-nutrient deficiency, not by calorie deficiency.
>>
>>35784740
>dietician
What the hell is that? I would rather not listen to a person who has something to sell, especially when it's probable he was just 5 years ago recommending low fat diet and pushing fat-free products or something.
>>
>>35784811
Epic le trole.
>>
Each pound of fat can provide up to 31 calories per day... if your deficit is higher than that then the energy has to come from muscle.
>>
>>35784864
Bro science ENGAGE
>>
>>35784757
does this fucking retard ACTUALLY think you need to eat your BMR or you'll drop dead from starvation? jesus christ this retard is retarded as FUCK

Your body is more than capable of taking most of its calorie requirements from fat if you're above 5% BF, and all of them if you're above 10% BF

look at Key Semi-starvation study, you cock gobbling retard, even under a diet nearly bereft of essential fats & protein, the subjects STILL did not start seriously metabolizing muscle until they were around 5% BF
>>
>>35783592
this is why I stopped browsing fit. shit like this simply triggers the fuck out of me. you cannot POSSIBLY be THIS fucking stupid.
I think it is literally impossible. this has to be bait.
>>
>>35784884
You're arguing with a wall. Made of retards. Not worth it breh.
>>
>>35784877

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615
>>
>>35784955
>Each pound of fat can provide up to 31 calories per day...
>only reading the abstract
Shiggy.
>if your deficit is higher than that then the energy has to come from muscle.
This is not a conclusion of the source you provided.
>>
>>35784955
>it's a retard doesn't read the paper episode
The experiment they pulled the data from used a diet horrendously deficient in protein, and they included glycogen in their FFM

The article proves that humans use glycogen for energy, not that humans will prioritize fat over muscle

Retard.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.