[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
swimming works out ALL of your muscles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9
File: 9-swmming.jpg (50 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
9-swmming.jpg
50 KB, 500x350
who /swimming/ master race here?
butterflyer checking in
>>
where do you swim for? 100 fly or 200?
>>
>>35777137
Triathlete checking in
Swimming is totally awesome workout
get sore from ther workouts, swimming makes it all feel better.

Sorry, I can only do half competent looking fly when wearing fins (triathlete = shitty kick)
>>
post your swim times swim-brahs

:47 100 yrd free masterrace
>>
>>35777137
breaststroke checking in
is it alright to swim after lifting or will this fuck up my gainz
>>
>>35777311
>Fins
>Shitty kick
Former Aussie 50m Butterfly Nationals regular here, that is bullshit. Fly is an effortless joy with fins on.
>>
How long have you been swimming? My fastest 50 free time was 29
100 free was 65 seconds
>>
>>35777137
every non-olympic swimmer's body looks like shit tho so whats the point?
>>
is swimming actually good cardio or is that just what people say?

convince me to swim and i'll do it, lads.
>>
>>35777730
I recently found out when I decided to get off my couch after a 5y swimming break that fly is actually super fun, but my pool hardly ever trains it (crawl crawl crawl crawl... I think the only reason fly is even brought up is so they can get us to compete in IM lmao) so I'm not even sure what I need to focus on to do it correctly. I know the question sounds kinda retarded but what is actually important, in terms of form or something I guess ?

>>35778543
Swimming fixed my back and made me super lean, would recommend.

>>35778572
Cardio that works lower AND upper body, has 0 risk of fucking your joints, has actual uses (unless you're not into sailing / fishing / diving or don't live near a sea / lake) and either gives you a reason to show off your gains or fixes your body dysmorphia.
Downside compared to running and cycling is training alone is for most people a terrible idea so it'll cost you more and your schedule might not match. But if it's not an obstacle for you I'd definitely recommend it.
>>
>>35778665
if i had access to water i'd do it probably daily. but i don't, unless i want to swim in the north sea and freeze to death.
>>
>>35778688
Brit or scandifag?
>>
>>35778543

Yeah what's the point in actual fitness at all? You said it bruh. If it won't impress a girl immediately we might as well not bother right?!
>>
>>35777137
Fellow butterflybrah here. I don't have the best time but i think it's decent for someone who doesn't compete anymore.

50 m 26,8s
100 m 1:02,3

I've noticed though that exercises focusing on lats and shoulders have helped with my endurance, and I won't lose speed as easily while swimming longer distances.
>>
What's the best way to get started with swimming? Like I can only do breaststrokes, and I dont want people to laugh at me if I try all these other styles :(
>>
>>35779918
You don't have a local pool that's active with competitions and gives all levels lessons ? Training alone is really hard.
>>
>tfw can't figure out how to front crawl properly no matter how hard I try
>>
File: work.jpg (26 KB, 530x324) Image search: [Google]
work.jpg
26 KB, 530x324
Am I gonna wreck my shoulders if I combine pic related with swimming, ie lifting twice a week and swimming 3x/week?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Have yet to use this, but I'm getting more interested. I usually just run on my gym's track, is it really as good or better as a cardio option? I've grown up on the water in warmer places, but I've rarely swam just for cardio
>>
File: image.png (1 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 750x1334
>>35780528

Sigh
>>
>>35780528
>>35780538
It takes two, everythings gonna be alright
>>
>>35777311
Scoopy pks turn on trip.
>>
>>35780568

Thanks desu waigu tofu brohai or whatever the fuck we're saying now
>>
>>35777137
Anyone else use those foam dumbells some swim areas have set out for old people? I've been trying all kinds of different exercises underwater with them and they seem to really put resistance strain on the chest back and arms.
>>
>>35780538
>no1 at pool
fucking shit, here its always crowded af.
>>
>>35777696
>is it alright to swim after lifting or will this fuck up my gainz

I would not advise you to swim right after lifting. You could swim the day after lifting, but only if you do a breezy recovery session (like swimming 500-1000 metres at low pace).

I however recommend that you leave at least 1 full day in between lifting and swimming, because your muscles need time to recover after lifting, and swimming is very intense for your entire body. It's also not really purely cardio if you do sprint or interval training. It's not like running, you could perfectly do upper body weight lifting and run the next day because there's no real overlap.

So for example, my week goes like this:
Monday: swimming
Tuesday: lifting
Wednesday: rest
Thursday: swimming
Friday: lifting
Saturday: rest
Sunday: rest or easy swim

When I hit the pool, I hit it hard though, 1600-2500 meter in full intensity sprints and intervals.
>>
>>35777137
Show us your great swimmer body then brah
>>
File: fly.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
fly.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>35777137
>butterflyer
muh nigga
>>
>>35780759
>Tfw swimming is my mid day cardio workout between my morning and evening weight lifting sessions
>>
>>35781302
That's probably killing your gains senpai
>>
File: 1439926322507.jpg (71 KB, 283x276) Image search: [Google]
1439926322507.jpg
71 KB, 283x276
Brehs are you lying or your times are truly legit? I have almost one year of swimming. The first 8 months it all started because I had some free time and decided to learn to swim, took some classes and went to the pool two or three times a week. The rest three to four months I joined the masters team to git gud and train harder. My times are complete shit compered to yours.

This are my regular times:

25m freestyle - 17s
25m fly - 21s
50m freestyle - 36s
100m freestyle - 1:31
400m freestyle - 7:36
800m freestyle - 15:49
400m IM - 8:27
200m breastroke - 3:36

and the rest of styles I think I havent made them with time, just training without clock
>>
>>35781362
I know, but I can't sleep if I don't put at least 3 hours of exercise in each day. Can't even do rest days anymore.
>>
>>35781362
what, really? i swim atleast 3 times a week, about 45 min sessions, between lifting days but some times on same day. Is this unadviceble?
>>
>>35781579
Well I'm not going to lie, your times are pretty shitty. I remember not swimming for 3 years, and then swimming 2:58 for 200m breaststroke at the varsities (obviously i didn't qualify, but our uni needed more people competing for funding).

Your 25m freestyle is alright, as well as your 50 meter, but then it just goes up exponentially when you reach a 100. That shit's not logical. Based on your first 25 meter you could well finish between 1:00 and 1:10 mins. You lack endurance and strength, I suggest you hit the gym more and train strength/intervals more!
>>
>>35781579

It's mostly a matter of how many years you train, anon, or maybe you haven't found the best style for you yet. My current times for the distances you mentioned (also currently in the Masters):

50m free 28
100m free 1:00
200m free 2.12
400m free 4:36
800m free 9:35
400 IM 5:13
200 Breast 2:42

Training with a clock will help you improve your pacing, keep at it!
>>
>>35781659
No, don't fall for the cardio kills gains meme.

As long as you eat/rest enough to compensate cardio is literally only beneficial.
>>
>>35781650
>I know, but I can't sleep if I don't put at least 3 hours of exercise in each day. Can't even do rest days anymore.

Okay, well, just know you're not achieving maximal gains here.

>>35781659
>what, really? i swim atleast 3 times a week, about 45 min sessions, between lifting days but some times on same day. Is this unadviceble?

Yes. You train the same muscle groups so don't expect to make a shitload of progress when you're overtraining your muscles... Leave a day of rest in between lifting and swimming is my advice.
>>
>>35781756
>As long as you eat/rest enough to compensate cardio is literally only beneficial.

I never denied cardio being beneficial. Swimming in itself is a much healthier activity than lifting weights. But ever wonder why a lot of top swimmers look like they just surpass otter mode?
>>
>>35781697
Thanks anon, yeah actually we're working on endurance right now. Mainly doing long distances.

>>35781742
Yeah I think thats it, most of the people on the team have been swimming for over 10 years and Im still on the first one going to the second one.
>>
>>35781579
Well it's decent anon, you don't seem to be good at swimming long distance tho. For only 1year of training I'd even say it's pretty good, keep at it.
>>
File: 1453870493586.png (2 MB, 976x1176) Image search: [Google]
1453870493586.png
2 MB, 976x1176
Can I still achieve niggermode aesthetics if I do swimming as well as my regular workout?

What benefits can I actually get from swimming that are different to what I get from freeweights?
>>
>>35779292
>>35778688
Probably Dutch fag.

Enough pools in dutchland faggot just get an abonnement.
>>
>>35783137
Swimming is very easy on the joints.

You want gain much but you gain conditioning
>>
>>35777696
breaststroke is shiettier, brah
>>
>>35783165
But realistically I will keep the gains I made from the weights and the swimming will just cut away my bf%?
>>
>>35777137
>swimming works out ALL of your muscles

What a load of shit. Turning in your bed also "works all your muscles".
>>
>>35783196
why? for me backstroke is shit thier
>>
Guys, just getting into swimming, absolutely love it.

I just cannot breststroke and dolphin kick for the life of me, I've watched so many videos on yt to learn but I still can't do it.

149lb, 5'10, not overweight and I still can't get the rhythm down.

Any advice?
>>
>>35783633
Go look up the Speedo videos on youtube that show technique. If that doesn't help you, try going for a personal coach. It's hard for us to tell you how to improve your style if we can't see anything. Often big improvements in style come from very minor adjustments, like the way you position your hand etc.
>>
>>35783197
Swimming is just full body cardio. Do it too much and youll lose muscle just like running.

Thats why you shouldnt run cross country every week and dont run much more than 5k a week if you want to be aesthetic.

Same with swimmig dont swim for hours every day that gives you swim bod.

Do it a few times a week is fine. And shreds a bit of bf % .
>>
>>35783879
Is there any point me signing up to a pool? My aim is to bulk but also stay lean? Would you personally advise swimming or biking?
>>
>>35781758
I know it really bums me out sometimes. Toned though
>>
>>35783197
No. Cardio lowers your testosterone levels and fuck up your manhood. Cardio means aerobic exercise, it is just like dumbell-benching with 5-kg dumbells. You lose your chest gains if you start to work with 5s.

Look at the 100m sprinters, and then 10000m marathoners.

Endurance is for women, they need to carry the baby, stay stood up for long times and etc.

Strength is for men. We need to hit really hard in fight, run very rapidly when chasing an animal and etc.

Go learn boxing as a cardio, climb stairs or jump ropes.
>>
>>35783901
Its personal preference. Imo swimming is better for muscle recovery and its really easy on your joints if you have any kind of injury.

Unless youre training for a triatlon i cant see why you should train both. If you already have a bike it may be cheaper and easier to just hop on the bike. It also is just out of your door and youre busy instead of driving to the pool.

Why not get a day card and see how you like it?
>>
>>35783990
Way to bring it to the extremes. Arnold also ran 5ks at least once a week.

Ofcourse hiit is good and boxing most definitly gets you lean. But endurance really does have it place. Just dont overdo it.
>>
Any tips on stopping foot cramp?
>>
>>35784069
Bananas
>>
>want to swim
>get into pool
>can't swim

wat do
>>
I would love to but have never swam in my life. It's pretty hard finding places that have lessons for adults with no experience. Everyone asks for little experience. The other option is one to one sessions for £25 that are 30 min each. How many lessons does it takes to get the basics right?
Fingers crossed that I find something cheap.
>>
>>35783990
You're a fucking moron. Running 100m sprints won't make you look like a sprinter, fighting in an octagon won't make you look like a UFC heavyweight and running longer distances won't make you look like a malnourished african. Every aforementioned athlete INTENTIONALLY sculpts their body to be as effective as possible on their sport. Long distance runners do it by eating less and not building muscle mass.
>>
>>35784207
Well 25 is kinda expensive, but half an hour of one on one tutoring can really help you a great deal. I'd say it would take you about 10 lessons to learn perfect crawl
>>
>start swimming as main cardio
>typically swim 1 mile
>best time around 36 minutes
>talking to a friend who swims
>ask is she's going to start swimming back at the gym I'm at
>"I don't like 20m pools"

The pool is fucking 20m not 25m. So I haven't been swimming a mile. Turns out my mile time is closer to about 44 minutes.
>>
>>35780538
looks comfy m8

it's nice to have as a hobby and people are always impressed

also helps get rid of a lot of the bodbuilder dismorphia shit that is so easy to come by. focusing on health is more rewarding than arm size or whatever
>>
>>35781018
is it better to do fly with a breath every stroke or a breath every second stroke?
>>
>Go swimming for the first time in years
>Form is shit, out of shape besides
>Manage 4 laps before I'm worried I'll drown on the next one

I-I'll get better at this eventually, right?
>>
File: Coshulkster.png (211 KB, 600x602) Image search: [Google]
Coshulkster.png
211 KB, 600x602
>>35783990
Literal broscience. Hang yourself.
>>
>>35784925

i only did 500m my first day with a break every 50m. Now I can do ~300m stretches for a total of ~2km. And I've only been doing it 3weeks. It is all about getting over that mental barrier of nearly drowning and pacing yourself. Also, look up form videos on youtube. They help.
>>
>>35784546
Lel. Been there myself as well.

>>35784925
Yeah starting to swim is like hitting a brick wall at first, but your condition will improve greatly very fast.

>>35784745
That depends, every second stroke is used for swimming butterfly long distance and every stroke is for sprinting
>>
Does swimming give you gains?
>>
>>35777730
TriGuy again. To clarify, I can actually do butterfly with fins on, and yes, it is joy. Not effortless, but a blast.

Without fins, its just flailing around for me.

With triathlon, there is less incentive to work on your kick. You race in a wetsuit, so you only need kick to roll, not for speed. wetsuit puts you in right position, so you dont kick much, save legs for rest of race.
>>
>>35783990
master baits bro
>>
>>35780292
lmao you're doing a meme program my friend
>>
>tfw too embarrassed to use my gym pool because I can't do the flip turn and my dive is far from perfect

I've watched so many youtube tutorials but I can't get them right.
>>
What stroke maximizes my upper body gains? Is it a problem if I just use a snorkel to breathe with other than looking like a total faggot? I don't care about learning to control my breathing and shit nigga I just want some cardio and gainz
>>
>>35787115
Youll look like a faggot anyone if you get proper swimming gear.

That said i dont think a snorkel will give you enough air and you cant flip turn with it
>>
>>35787115
Think about it

how do we savage the twits who say, dont tell me about snappin my shit, I dont want to hear about form, I just want squats and deads for gainz.

its all part of the process man. Do the form right, get the gainz
>>
File: DSC_0190.jpg (228 KB, 1600x1142) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0190.jpg
228 KB, 1600x1142
filthy free style casual reporting in

I've started swimming again because I want to get back into Water Polo in my uni but idk the people there are so much better than me and i haven't played seriously in almost a year. What do
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.