[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why do runner faggits say that the human body is meant to run
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 21
File: rockhold.jpg (84 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
rockhold.jpg
84 KB, 1200x675
they reference like 3 tribes that are great runners then and then make up this big fantasy story about humans running down herds of animals for months straight. just because humans can sweat doesn't mean we are designed to run distance. literally everyone i know who has run for most of their life has completely fucked up feet and knees. its all bullshit, humans have calves and glutes for walking. shut the fuck up about your last 50 miles
>>
File: 1441406012252.jpg (44 KB, 538x454) Image search: [Google]
1441406012252.jpg
44 KB, 538x454
>>35755298
> trying this hard to justify not running distances

Muh hiit muh bodybuilder advice
>>
It's because we're much better at it compared to literally any other animal.
>>
File: gee.jpg (15 KB, 250x267) Image search: [Google]
gee.jpg
15 KB, 250x267
>>35755334
better than horses?
>>
>>35755298
OP, there's a difference between running across grassy plains and running on asphalt.
>>
>>35755341
Yes
>>
>>35755341
Are you retarded? We are the most efficient endurance animal on the planet.
>>
>>35755298
>tfw almost all primitive cultures had running myths that we know of
the argument is not that we were designed to run long distance. We are a species that is adapted to running very long distances, and sweating is just one of the adaptations, just like elastic leg ligaments, arched feet, and our upright posture. If you think that the arch of the foot is better for walking than storing and transferring energy while running then you dumb.
I guess your friends sucked at running properly.
Persistence hunting is a thing and some tribes still do it
I bet you can't climb more than a couple sets of stairs without sweating and breathing heavily
>>
>>35755386
Explain what you mean rather than just stating blanket statements.

how is that meant to convince me? Just because you say so? How are humans better runners than horses?
>>
>>35755412
bro why you attacking me personally? i train bjj and do cardio by swimming or biking because running for the last 8 years has really fucked up my ankles? now back to the question at hand. why would hunting with a bow for example require you to run? wouldn't walking quietly be more effective and efficient?
>>
>>35755533
>hunting with a bow
You understand that humans did not hunt with bows during this time frame, right
>>
>>35755341
A fuckload better
Horses are just massive
>>
>>35755298

I don't get it either. Total misinformation. The human body has adapted to run, yes, but mostly over medium/short distance at high intensity.

Apart from a few tribes who we, as westerners, are pretty physiologically different from at this point we're better suited to walking long distances and then hunting in short intense bursts.

Just because we can run for miles and miles doesn't mean that we should.
>>
>>35755386
>most efficient endurance animal

Is this a joke humans are shit tier physically. Dolphins literally never stop swimming in their entire lives
>>
>>35755413
Horses can't run in difficult terrain and breaks limbs very easily.
>>
>>35755413
Not who you were responding to, but over a long enough distance humans have better endurance. Sure, a horse could out run you to start with, but if you could properly track it you would eventually wear it out enough so that you would catch it.
>>
>>35755556

Oh and persistence hunting is for dumb shits who didn't learn or invent the technology to do it more efficiently.
If you're literally still running your prey to death you're at least 10,000 years behind the rest of mankind.
>>
>>35755533
>shits on an idea
>gets shit on
>stop picking on meeeee

that's if you have a bow, which seems like an easy thing to have with hindsight, but was a technological innovation at the time. People had to eat before the bow (or something functionally equivalent) was invented. Persistence hunting you don't need a bow, you just need to run until your prey is exhausted and can't run and you can cut its throat with some sharp obsidian or something.

Again, your ankles are probably fucked because you don't know how to run, not because running is shit.
>>
Maybe the runners you've met are retards just like you
>>
>>35755589
but does any tribe actually consistently hunt like that today? that running down deer thing cant be an effective way to hunt
>>
>>35755596
have you ever met an old cross country coach? they have all had loads of surgeries
>>
>>35755584
No, but it's our only physical evolutionary strength
>>
>>35755623
Why would they? How is this question even important?
>>
>>35755631
thats just a meme from runners who where those toe shoes
>>
>>35755626

Nope, can't say that I have. Idk why they would continue running if running fucked em up. That makes no sense to me. That's like trying to do an a2g squat without the requisite flexibility and asking why do I keep getting injured? I've competed against both older and younger runners though, and I regularly saw older people running.
>>
>>35755589

Are you operating on the assumption that our ancestors only had one sole method of hunting?

If so, that is incorrect. There are small game animals that we would have used a variety of hunting techniques to catch, including traps. We also fished, gathered, and with larger game animals we could have surrounded them with spears and bled them to death, or just chased them off a fucking cliff. There's a diverse variety of hominids, especially back earlier in our history, and our species covered a vast geographical area, with a wide variety of different challenges and obstacles that needed to be overcome. Logically, there is no way in hell that there could ever have been a one size fits all hunting strategy hard coded into our DNA. If there was, we would have gone extinct except maybe in one or two relatively limited regions. Our ability to change, learn, and adapt faster than any other species is what made us the apex predator on this planet. Not our ability to run a fucking long ass time after training extensively. Our earliest ancestors were probably scavengers and gatherers. To say that we had only one specialized tactic for survival is to equate us with insects. It is the product of extremely limited thought capacity by some very sad and ignorant people.

There was no primary hunting strategy. And running animals down into exhaustion is a horrifying waste of calories that would probably only have been attempted as a last resort.
>>
>>35755413
We are bipedal, which means we have less immediate power than four legged animals but we are more effecient at movement.

Average speed of a horse over 20+ Miles: 10.5mph

Average speed of a human over 20+ Miles: 12.7mph
>>
>>35755298
Because that is evidently the case. Running is the one thing humans are best at in the animal kingdom. No other animal can run for as long as humans, it's fucking amazing what our metabolisms are capable of.
>>
>>35755725
>>35755751

Okay. I have a challenge for you. Go out into the wilderness for 2 months with 19 other people and try to survive by running down herd animals.

Protip: You will fail miserably and probably injure yourselves.

What you are describing is a horribly inefficient strategy for gathering food. Just look at most of the primitive tribes out there and you'll see how our ancestors survived.
>>
>>35755341
the better response would have been cheetahs.
>>
>>35755816
Cheetahs cant run long distances
>>
>>35755826

Cheetahs are still smarter than you.
>>
>>35755804
I really don't care how exactly we gathered food in ancient times. The point is, humans are extraordinary runners.
>>
>>35755718
Nowhere did I say it was the only one. No one ever has said it was the only one. You assumed I said something and started arguing with yourself. That's called a straw man argument. Good try, though.
>>
>>35755324
Running long distances is pointless as fuck, lifting weights to become big and strong has actual benefits.
>>
>>35755804
I have a challenge for you.
Go to an isolated patch of dirt with 19 other people as inexperienced as you and grow your own food and survive without any problems.

Protip: you will fail miserably and will probably starve

What you are proposing is beside the point and a terrible argument. If you think that the sign of being an adaptive hunting strategy is that any dumbass from the insurance firm on main street can survive in the widerness without any training then you don't know what it takes to survive in the wilderness.
>>
>>35755725
>humans run 5 minute miles for 20+ miles

This is a troll thread
>>
>>35755298
distance running decreases test. only weak low test beta faggots are fine with this opinion
>>
>>35755890
depends on what your goal is, mouth breather
>>
>>35755890
How about a compromise?
>>
>>35755908
That's the world record for both species.
>>
File: sweg.jpg (46 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
sweg.jpg
46 KB, 396x385
>>35755909
damn right nigger
>>
>>35755298
Humans *can* be endurance hunters, some remote people still practice it, but its not likely that people did this in any great numbers at a point in our evolution. That much wear on the joints would produce a lot of creaky kneed cripples who would get eaten by another predator.
You've really got no excuse for being unable to run 5 miles a couple times a week though.

>>35755341
People are one of the most efficient machines around. We walk upright, on two legs, and the caloric expenditure of doing so gives us crazy advantages. Other four legged mammals whether they're larger or smaller than us they cannot travel the same distances in a day that we can. A lot of animals are capable of relatively short bursts of speed, and they need to rest for a long time afterwards. Horses in particular can sprint like a motherfucker, but over great distances they end up not running very fast, and then they have to eat an insane amount of food to make up for it.

We can jog the same distance a horse can run til its exhausted, then we can keep going several miles more, and we don't have to eat grass for 6 hours to make up the lost calories. Humans are apex for more than one reason.
>>
>>35755298
>they reference like 3 tribes that are great runners
So you don't want examples of the active practice?
>and then make up this big fantasy story about humans running down herds of animals
HERDS of animals would be fantasy. What ACTUALLY happened is very much so truth
>for months straight
Literally nobody claims this
>just because humans can sweat doesn't mean we are designed to run distance
Just because you have hands doesn't mean you were designed to hold things
>literally everyone i know who has run for most of their life has completely fucked up feet and knees
The damage you do to your body is dependent on how you run (heel striking will fuck your shit up, for example), how often, and how long you live. Humans weren't meant to live as long as we do now. Back when persistence hunting was our main thing, it would have been perfectly reasonable to run yourself to the bone for 30 years and then keel over.
>its all bullshit
Your claims are bullshit
>humans have calves and glutes for walking
Who would have guessed that you use muscles in your legs for both walking and running?
>shut the fuck up about your last 50 miles
Shut the fuck up about your last reps. See? I can do it too.
>>
>>35755298
I dont understand how any male can decide to run long distance. How can anyone other than women enjoy basically speed walking for 26 miles?
>>
>>35755718
He also didn't say that hunting is the only skill that evolution of running would benefit. There are many skills that benefit from being able to move forward quickly through all kinds of terrain, something humans are clearly adapted to do as evidenced by both physical attributes and the way the human brain processes information.
>>
>>35755298
why do lifter faggits say that the human body is meant to lift heavy? they reference like 3 famous lifters then and then make up this big fantasy story about humans lifting hundreds of pounds over their heads at once. just because muscles happen to grow under stress doesn't mean we are designed to lift heavy and get stronger. literally everyone i know who has lifted for most of their life has completely fucked up body image and personality issues. it's all bullshit, humans have hands and muscles for sitting around and eating. shut the fuck up about your one rep max
>>
>>35755725
>Average speed

Are you referencing the fucking world record for a Marathon as the average speed?
>>
>>35755890
Getting as big as humanity will allow and not being able to run two continuous miles makes you useless and out of shape desu.
>>
>>35755751
And healing. We're exceptional healers as far as vertebrates is concerned.
>>
>>35756029
>reading comprehension
average speed of a human
vs.
average speed of an average human
>>
>>35755948

We don't have to eat grass for 6 hours because we can eat stuff that actually has calories like meat
>>
>>35755324
>muh hiit
Why attack this? It works better than distance running.
>>
>>35756063
Being able to process and digest several thousand calories of meat per day in itself is super impressive for the amount of mobility we have. Large predators that eat meat in those proportions have really slow metabolisms so they can conserve energy. They tend to not move around much, they sleep a lot. Humans by comparison are perfectly balanced performance machines.

Apex, my man. Apex.
>>
>>35756063
in order to get that meat sometimes we had to run down horses to exhaustion before we could kill them safely.
>>
>>35756125
Maybe cultures that didn't develop tools.
>>
I cant believe how stupid fit can be some times
This guy takes the throne for this thread
>>35755571
>>
>>35756093
Fractionally. HIIT for 30 minutes, running continuously for 33 minutes, hmm, which one will I do?
>>
>>35756187
Sprints stress your cardiovascular system harder than running while your heart reaches a steady elevated pace.
>>
>>35755298
Well most early humans died before they reached 30 so fucked up kness and feet weren't that big a deal
>>
>>35755980
I normally don't ever post but :

> Humans weren't meant to live as long as we do now.
most retarded claim I've ever read.

I actually agree with OP. Humans aren't built for running, we are the slowest animal out there.
humans are closely related to apes so at most we are meant to use upper body strength for climbing trees, balancing and that kind of shit.
>>
>>35756151
how do you think humans got to the point of tool-making? By magically appearing in Eden? Not all tools fly through the air with enough force and technological advancement to kill something? We had feet and legs before we figured out the bow and shit. Persistence hunting is not perfect, which is why when people figured out that advanced tools increased success rate for killing, focus shifted to tools that could kill stealthily from greater distances.
>>
>>35755386
No way humans have better endurance than sled dogs but they're probably up there
>>
File: image.jpg (25 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
25 KB, 380x380
>>35755725
>Because we're all Gebrsellassie
>>
>>35756275
its endurance running
youre slow but you sweat and keep a pace
>>
>>35756275
for sure
i just feel like the people who run 100 mile races are out of the mind and trying to justify with tiny scraps of history.
>>
>>35756275
>most retarded claim I've ever read.
Why? Of course we are not meant to live as long as we do nowadays. Look it up.

>>35756290
Easily.
>>
>>35755386

Who is we? One fucking tribe on the planet still persistence hunts, me and you are sitting in computer chairs.
>>
>>35756290
yes we do
thats why they were domesticated because only dogs can keep up
>>
>>35756217
Yes, you gain about a 10% advantage over continuous exercise. 30 minutes vs 33 minutes desu
>>
File: image.jpg (184 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
184 KB, 640x1136
Because we're all built like Dennis Kimetto

Six foot naut, 128 pounds

We can all run a 2:02:58 marathon on pavement in running shoes in a temperate climate while people hand out water every few miles and while we are abusing our all-natty steroids and stimulants and blood doping.
>>
File: endthis.png (111 KB, 240x237) Image search: [Google]
endthis.png
111 KB, 240x237
This thread
>>
>>35755551
Are you stupid? Horses are the only other mammal that developed the ability to sweat.
>>
>>35755718
I think the idea was that we ambush a prey like a horse or whatever, throw a spear at it and then run after it until it collapses from bloodloss or whatever.

Trust me I'm a scientist or some shit.
>>
We live in the first world you cunts, nothing is useful anymore.
You can be zyzz sized running 4:30 miles benching 350 and climbing 5.13, specialization Is for insects
>>
Bodybuilding fucks you up long term
Powerlifting fucks you up long term
Ultra-marathoning fucks you up long term

These are things we already know

Swimming might be one of the only sports that doesn't destroy your body, and even then the possibility of repetitive strain injuries is high
>>
>>35755341
A man can accelerate over short distance faster than a horse and over long distance can run a horse into the grave. Horses only win in middle distance.
>>
>>35755386
Endurance running, yes.

Not overall endurance. Some birds and sea critters do better.
>>
>>35756374
Small differences over time sum to large differences
>>
>>35757295
Lifting is fine just stretch nigga and follow a balanced routine.
>>
>>35757779
Well, I'll just run that extra 48 seconds on the end of my mile and avoid jumping around the gym like a retard.
>>
Just read up what the ancient world had tow rite about distance running. Nothing has changed since then. We can finally put this topic to rest.

They wrote it's unnatural and harmful to the extreme, btw.
>>
>>35758164
>dipshits and dipshits both agree
profound shit
>>
we're better at short-medium distance sprints, and hunting is also more geared around just that

any animal that hunts is either fast enough to catch their prey with force or smart enough to sneak up on them - very rarely would animals literally run for miles right on the coattails of their prey
>>
File: 1450753834070.png (240 KB, 432x429) Image search: [Google]
1450753834070.png
240 KB, 432x429
If humans used to run extremely long distances hunting for food, then how much fucking food they managed to salvage and how much they actually ate?
How the fuck would they maintain even an auschwitz-tier body if they ran long distances erryday allday while eating nothing but meat and shit like roots and dirt?

They'd have all died of constipation from getting over 3000kcal a day from just meat.
>>
>>35758208
which is why we do not resemble most every other predator.
>>
>>35758238
no animal looks alike except for immediate family members and cousins you nigger
>>
>>35758217
what do you think the Inuit survive on most of the time? Snow?
>>
>>35756275
You're an idiot if you think people were biologically selected to live past forty
Modern medicine exists
>>
>>35756046
Whats ams the difference?
>>
>>35756328
You're full of shit
It wasn't even an opinion, it's a god damn fact that sled dogs have more endurance than humans, just because we selectively breed them to be that way doesn't make it any less true
>>
>>35756892
You're retarded if you think only two animals sweat
>>
>>35756006
>the way the human brain processes information
Most people don't realize how much of what you "see" is actually your brain interpreting information.
>>
>>35758254
you're being purposefully idiotic I hope.
I'm talking about anatomy. Within related groups, predators have similar anatomies, and since we're talking about terrestrial mammalian predators, dogs and cats are a good example of similar shit for similar purposes. We are bipedal, have specialized ligamentation in our legs and upper body, have flat feet with arches, no fur, short face, and small ears. We do not hunt like other predators because we have adapted to hunt differently to ensure that we can outcompete.
>>
>>35756892
no, alot mammals sweat but not even nearly as much as humans
>>
File: 1451398661084.jpg (20 KB, 239x258) Image search: [Google]
1451398661084.jpg
20 KB, 239x258
>>35758290
inuits probably wouldn't need as much calories as some nigger running "long distances all the time" would
>>
File: 1355304375188.jpg (19 KB, 500x328) Image search: [Google]
1355304375188.jpg
19 KB, 500x328
>>35755298
>>35755334
>>35755341
>>35755413
>>35755551
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_versus_Horse_Marathon#Winners
Humans have posted competitive times with horses occasionally winning
As the distance increases, generally humans are able to post more wins.

>inb4 humans are slower therefore horses are better at all running
Thats cherrypicking this is only one set distance you have to look at longer races to truly determine who is the better long distance runner because humans and horses regularly participate in races from 50-100miles while this is only about 22miles.

Also the comparison between times must be made, if you acknowledge horses as good runners and look at the times humans posted in the exact same race and did a distribution of animals that are capable of running, humans would definitely be within one standard deviation. IE if horses are good runners, you must acknowledge that the data that says horses are good runners also says humans are good runners.

>>35755589
>>35755623
>>35755651
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting#Current_practice

This article and the documentary it references clearly demonstrate that this practice is still in use. It also is a likely indicator of how earlier hominids hunted.

To clarify persistence hunting was the practice of where you run at an antelope, it runs away, but you follow at such a pace that it doesnt have time to rest or cool off. Continuing this until the animal collapses out of exhaustion or simply overheats. It is not a flat sprint, but a paced marathon, taking advantage of the fact that this type of activity results in more stress and greater strain on the hunted animal than the hunters.

>inb4 wikipedia is not a valid source of information anyone can edit it
Check the citations for each article then, those cant be edited and contain the same information as the respective wiki article
>>
Purely anecdotal, but when I run 4+ miles at a time, the feeling of euphoria I get is second only to orgasming inside my girlfriend. That tells me that we are supposed to be doing this.
>>
>>35755908
Have you even seen a marathon son?
>>
>>35758444
you think living in ice-land with sub-zero temperatures is not calorically demanding?
>>
>>35758296
>You're an idiot if you think
>>35758317
>You're full of shit
>>35758327
>You're retarded if you think
>>35758400
>you're being purposefully idiotic
All of you millennials need to get the fuck out. Do you know how obnoxious you are? This site needs a 30+ age limit, prove is by not doing this shit.

Fucking reddit in here.
>>
>>35755298
>literally everyone i know who has run for most of their life has completely fucked up feet and knees
heelstrikers when will they learn
>>
>>35758470
Getting this serious over a bait thread
>>
>doing heavy strength training
>chosing hiit instead of liss as your cardio

enjoy your norecovery
>>
>>35758572
>google, copy and paste 2 links 5seconds
>write a few sentences 30 seconds
wew lad I hate to see what your workout looks like because if this is serious to you, you probably drive by the gym, look at the weights then hit the showers
>>
>>35758557
>Obnoxious

Wow I can't...I'm sorry. Nothing like getting yelled at by an old man on 4chan to set your mind straight. Thanks, anon. I'm sorry that you're past your prime.
>>
File: 1371774308767.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1371774308767.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>35755334
>birds can migrate up to 200000 miles
>thinking humans are best at endurance running
>>
>>35758797
>endurance running
>flying
pic one, idiot
>>
>>35755914
What can a runner do that I cannot on a bike?
>>
>>35758797
Not that I'm one of these persistence hunting dipshits, but to be fair there are people who can run indefinitely.
>>
>>35758834
RUN
>>
Because humans are better at endurance than literally everything else.
>>
>>35755334
caribou migrate 800 miles for the winter and back again each year.
>>
File: 1367186481135.jpg (10 KB, 251x242) Image search: [Google]
1367186481135.jpg
10 KB, 251x242
>>35755948
>but its not likely that people did this in any great numbers at a point in our evolution.
Yeah, our ape ancestors and early Homo genus only did it for a few million years

Bipedalism made us slower in a sprint than other apes, and shittier climbers, its one and only advantage was endurance, which is only useful for predation
>>
>>35755298
>>35755298
>fucked up feet and knees

That's because humans were also designed to only live for 40 years tops.
>>
>>35758490
This is true. This is what I miss about distance running. I can only hope to achieve the same feeling through sprinting now since I'm trying to become a different kind of athlete

Also just the romanticization of my team, training and race experiences, memories from 8 years of my life
>>
>>35758561
It's all these fat faggots with 10-12 inch ankles who try to muscle their way along with their calves and hamstrings without thinking about what they are doing.

Many white people have the wrong bone structure to ever succeed at running, so they probably shouldn't run in the first place. Their heel striking is ingrained.
>>
>>35756151
>Retard actually think bows and spears instantly kill animals.

heh

You shoot it.

It fucks off and dies somewhere else.

You couldn't catch it and now something else eats it.

You just got cucked by a wolf bro.
>>
>>35756275
If the human body was meant to live longer why do we have reproductive problems around 40 and all this cancer? What purpose biologically does a 70 year old woman who can't have children serve?
>>
>>35759125
To recall and retell popular societal lore, basically gossip. Now this has advanced to television, radio, internet media.

We have big brains which have allowed for odd means of promoting our genetic material.
>>
>>35759573
>Biologically
>>
>>35760270
Fertilizer?

I'd say if lore is capable of producing higher birth rates and reducing mortality, that it is a secondary biological contribution

I'm not the original person you were talking to, by the way
>>
>>35755298
Hunting tactics from earlier humans relied on outlasting prey
>>
>>35755948
>That much wear on the joints would produce a lot of creaky kneed cripples who would get eaten by another predator.
Fairly irrelevant with a life expect of 30 (and I'm being generous)
>>
File: Mount-Stupid.gif (32 KB, 500x664) Image search: [Google]
Mount-Stupid.gif
32 KB, 500x664
>>35758561

there is nothing wrong with heelstriking
HURRDURR people who are running shoeless on mudroads since childhood use their forefoot
yes go buy minimalistic running shoes, the sport industry will be pleased by your money
>>35758834
running trails, stairs, mud, sand?
>>35759033
>>35760640
nope, a normal fit person will need almost no medical attention from age 10-65
>>35759125
at a certain age a pregnancy will be more complicated for a women
Why can men procreate until they die?

THIS FUCKING BAIT THREAD
i better leave
>>
human bodies are designed for everything. long distance, short sprinting, swimming.

SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>>35755298
All hominini were persistence hunters. Humans are built to run long distance, lift things by posterior chain strength and climbing with their entire body coordinated for it.

Combination of those three and the ability to make tools made humans apex predators of wherever they went. Funny enough lifting things and being able to carry them for long distances enabled humans to be one of the best builders and unlike insects-the only rivals of humans in terms of building- humans can carry their entire bases with them when needed.

That persistent chase ability just made humans broken as fuck as no animal was safe since humans could base and chase as well as climb to avoid the only thing that works against a base and chase, which is a variation of stampede.
>>
>>35755298
They human body is meant for running though m8. About all the wear on joints, thats all shit because the way we evolved to run is obviously without running shoes. We evolved to run on the balls of our feet, not the heels. This lets your Achilles act as a spring. Problem solved.

inb4 runners reduce impact. they only reduce impact compared to other shoes, not compared to barefoot running.
>>
>>35760860
THIS

Pretty sure G-D made us the best at everything.

We are designed after Him, afterall.
>>
>>35756029
Being this dense. Those are two different averages you motherfucker.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=826HMLoiE_o

watch this fgts
>>
>>35755298
the human is the animal that is better built to run huge distances, just behind wolves and horses.
>>
>>35761380
There are a fuckload of animals that are incomparably better at distance running than humans. Horses are not even of them dipshit.

Look it up by yourself instead of being an ignorant parrot.
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 377x577) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 377x577
>>35761495
>Ignorant parrot

>Awesome possum
>>
>>35755631
What is opposable thumbs? Enlarged frontal cortex? Long distance running was a step in our evolution but much less important that climbing trees was to the development of humans as a species.
>>
>>35755298

the human body is literally evolved for like a 30 year service life

by that point you've had all your kids at your healthiest, and after that, in nature, you're supposed to be dead to rival humans or predators
>>
>>35755341
Yes, by far better than horses you retard.
>>
File: 1452357136427.jpg (344 KB, 1080x1440) Image search: [Google]
1452357136427.jpg
344 KB, 1080x1440
>>35755341
a marathon pace will eventually cause horses and even dogs to overheat before hoomans. Obligatory bipedalism+ 95% hairless body + ability to sweat AND carboload+ highly efficient lung function = EVOLUTIONARY WINRAR
>>
>>35755908
>humans run 5 minute miles for 20+ miles
Yes, there are many people who can do this.
>>
>>35761495
Look up "persistance hunting" and help yourself not look like a retard next time.
>>
>>35762948
Maybe 20,000
>>
>>35757648
Lol are you retarded. Horses can run way faster than a human. Any non retarded horse would run way faster than Usain Bolt.
>>
>>35762940
only on hot days. look at the actual statistic regarding that race you're talking about.
>>
>>35758921
And if they did it at the pace we can, they'd not even break a hundred before dying.
>>
>>35755298
Because 60,000 years ago we use to chase animals until they passed out from overheating, HENCE, WHY WE SWEAT. YOU FUCKING IDIOT! FUCKING DUMB FUCK!
>>
What I don't understand is why you would spend hours chasing something down and expending precious calories if you could find ANY OTHER FUCKING WAY to do it?
>>
>>35763554
werent humans more busy with eating fish almost entirely in africa at that point?
>>
File: gorilla.jpg (51 KB, 920x716) Image search: [Google]
gorilla.jpg
51 KB, 920x716
Because we are weak as fuck, even those of us at our prime in strength.

Pic related is a Silverback Gorilla e.g. a fucking vegan that eats spinach all day and never weight trains and could easily best The Mountain, Rippletits, Scooby, and Zyzz combined.
>>
>>35763500
We bred those horses for 1000s of years specifically to run and we still occasionally win. Literally we created the only animal that can outrun us.
>>
Nice troll. ITT: salty distance running faggots.

You can't deny that sprinters and oly lifters are a much better looking expression of human genetic potential than marathon runners.
>>
>>35763656
>nig genetix
>>
>>35763787
>You can't deny that sprinters and oly lifters are a much better looking expression of human genetic potential than marathon runners.
I'm not even a distance runner but WTF is that even supposed to mean?
>>
File: 95245.jpg (92 KB, 731x593) Image search: [Google]
95245.jpg
92 KB, 731x593
>>35764385
bro u srs?
>>
Humans aren't "meant" to do jack shit. Anybody who says so is an idiot or religious, and sometimes the difference is hard to tell.
>>
File: fedora tipped.jpg (78 KB, 640x533) Image search: [Google]
fedora tipped.jpg
78 KB, 640x533
>>35764440
>>
>>35755718
I'm glad there's somebody with sense on here.
>>
>>35764419
deadly

plenty of runners and lifters look like shit, and both are a deviation from what the overwhelming majority of humans who have ever existed looked like ad libetem, just like fat fucks
>>
Stop saying what we're "meant" to do. We're not "meant" to do anything. We do what we do to get what we want. Period. The body's a tool, not a temple as some would have you believe.

Aesthetics fits most people's wants. That's why it dominates this board. Others like to boast about their strength or power. That's fine, too, as long as it makes you happy. Running 26 miles quickly is cool, so long as you're happy with the trade off of having to be thinner and weaker than most people who devote themselves to lifting heavy weights, because it also means you can outpace the entire animal kingdom. What does it get you? A runner's high is cool. Some chicks dig the runner look more, and those tend to be higher quality gals.

Personally, I devoted myself to just get better at boxing. Not because I want to compete; devoting my brain cells to a more lucrative career seems like a better option. No, I do it because it forces me to improve on strength as well as stamina towards the practical ability to kick ass. It forces you to learn most skills that are very important to do virtually any recreational activity. You can also look pretty damn sexy doing it, too.
>>
>>35764688
hitler dubs checked
>Some chicks dig the runner look more, and those tend to be higher quality gals.
I'm not a lifter, so I'm not defending their groupies honor, but are you saying that chicks who dig runners are somehow the better women? If so then what are you basing this on?
>>
>>35763787
Olympic lifts would be stuck at 80% of what they are now if there weren't steroids

Sprinting- the 100m would be barely under 10 seconds

Distance running is impressive as soon as you grasp how fast 13 miles per hour is to hold for 2 hours straight.
>>
Can we discuss the fact that there is NO BENEFIT ONCE SO EVER OVER HIIT/STRENGTH TRAINING, to being able to run "slowly really far distances" in a modern society? You are no joke trading your knees/feet for the ability to say, "I run slowly really far, pretty well"
>>
>>35764688
>skills that are very important to do virtually any recreational activity

I think you should have done gymnastics anon.
>>
>>35764772

This is why I said "tend to be." It's not a set rule. Just something I got out of experience.
>>
>>35765024

I don't see a lot of lower body endurance work in gymnastics, which is what most recreational activities require.
>>
>>35765024
>>35765109

Also, boxing is geared more towards my skillset.
>>
>>35765014
"slowly"
>>
>>35755298

yeah, you know why? Because humans were originally SUPPOSED to fucking die at 30. Your body starts to decline, your teeth fall out, your gums rot, and you FUCKING DIE

but now we live forever, and people who spend the first 40 years of their lives fucking their shit are fucked forever
>>
File: images (25).jpg (5 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
images (25).jpg
5 KB, 150x150
>>35755718
Man I'm psyched after reading that
>>
Op, die from cancer please.
>>
>>35755718
Fuuuark very well said senpai
>>
>>35760838
tomatoes ARE fruit
>>
>>35766186

Biologically there's no such thing as a vegetable. Vegetable is a culinary category not a biological one.

"Knowledge is knowing tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
>>
>>35766665
Tomatoes are awesome in fruit salads, breh
>>
>>35758470
Those horses were carrying humans on top of them. The only way to make a race like that fair is if the human runners were carrying horses.
>>
>>35761380
Forgot camels
>>
>>35765324
... That is not even close to being true. Average lifespan was 40 because it was heavily dragged down by infant mortality and disease. If you eliminate infant mortality and death by pathogenic disease actual lifespans were very compatible with today.

Tldr people didn't die of old age at 40. People who died of old age still lived to be around 90 to a hundred. We just have more people surviving long enough to die of old age.
>>
>>35766816
>compatible
Comparable
>>
>>35758775
He's salty because he's gonna kick the bucket soon because of all the running.
>>
>>35766816
Even when you subtract the child mortality, you'll end up with a modal age expectancy of about 40 for prehistoric humans. By the way, basically nobody died of "old age" (whatever that means, really) back in those days. You caught an infection or fell down a cliff and died sooner or later.
>>
>>35766888
This is simply not true, if you lived to be 15 you had a high chance of living to be 60.

http://www.ancient-origins.net/news-evolution-human-origins/life-expectancy-myth-and-why-many-ancient-humans-lived-long-077889
>>
File: giphy.gif (341 KB, 540x669) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
341 KB, 540x669
>/fit/
>An image board for the discussion of fitness
>this thread
>Which is a better runner, a horse or a human?

Just.... just please, get better in January. For the sake of all that is Holy.
>>
>>35766902
>This is simply not true, if you lived to be 15 you had a high chance of living to be 60.
That is highly exaggerated.
>>
>>35767007

Have you actually looked at any study? Or are you just parroting your preconceptions?

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1728-4457.2007.00171.x/abstract
>>
>>35755589

Early humans lived in tribes and would hunt as a tribe. Some men would lie in ambush and others of the tribe would scare prey towards them. Much faster and more efficient than persistence hunting. Then the kill would be shared among the tribe
>>
>>35758470
point. the horses had required stops making their times artificially slow.

counter point. Horses are given stops because some died before finishing the race.
>>
>>35767124
Yeah, looked at that exact study and it doesn't seem to say what you think it does.
>>
>>35758921
How long does it take the caribou to migrate 800 miles?

Cause some humans have run 3100 miles across the country in 20 days. Others have done 150 miles in 24 hours.
>>
>>35768281
Are you pretending to be retarded?

In spite of this variation, a clear premodern human pattern emerges.
Age profiles of mortality risk over the life span are remarkably similar. The
mortality hazard has slowed to 0.01 by age 10, doubled to about 0.02 by age
40, doubled yet again before age 60, and again by age 70. Low mortality there-
fore persists until about age 40, when mortality acceleration becomes evident.

[...]

expected future years of life remaining (ex), conditional
on living to each age, for the human groups with the most reliable data and
for wild and captive chimpanzees. While there is significant variation across
human groups in life expectancy at early ages, there is significant conver-
gence after about age 30. With the exception of the Hiwi, who have over 10
fewer years remaining during early ages and over 5 fewer years remaining
during adulthood, and of the Hadza, whose life expectancy at each age is
about 2 years longer than the rest at most adult ages, all other groups, in-
cluding eighteenth-century Sweden, are hardly distinguishable from one
another. Figure 3 also shows that at age 40, the expected age at death is
about 63–66 (i.e., 23–26 additional expected years of life), whereas by age
65, expected age at death is only
>>
>>35768319
whoops. should read 180 in 24 hours.
>>
The real endurance winner is bicycles. Once those evolve brains watch out. A bicycle carrying a human can travel over 500 miles in a 24 hour period. Imagine if it didn't have 150lbs of human on it's 10lbs frame.
>>
who cares

we have invented cars
>>
>>35755718

This is like reading Nietszche himself crushing that fucktarded runnerfag religion.
>>
Isn't it just a common misconception? I think humans are very good at endurance and walking, but it's jogging that's retarded. You either walk or run/sprint but jogging is just very inefficient. Why would you ever cross long distances jogging when it's more energy efficient to walk the same distance? If it's to catch animals then whoop di fucking doo welcome to the club of failures.
>>
>>35760838
>nope, a normal fit person will need almost no medical attention from age 10-65
unless they are being gored by a water buffalo
>>
>>35768403
Topp'st kek my great fellow

Imagine when they all have carbon nanotube frames like those 5000 dollar mountain bikes that you can do lateral raises with
>>
>>35766756

No. The fair way would be to put a proportionally small horse on human runners.
>>
>>35768667
So, a 20 pound sack
>>
>>35758470
Is an horse an athlete?
>>
>>35768740
No, an horse is an hero
>>
>>35759125

Life expectancies from the past are lowered by a high infant mortality rate. If you survived the first fee years of life, living into your 60s and 70s was normal. Even 80s would not have been completely unheard of.

Living past the optimal reproduction age has a lot of benefits for the tribe. The more people you have around to raise children, gather berries, build shelter etc while the young and middle aged men are out hunting, the more the tribe will thrive. If everyone just dropped dead at the age of 40, early human tribes would be missing out on a huge resource of manpower that maybe isn't able to hunt, but can still do all sorts of other useful tasks. Even an 80 year old great grandmother can weave baskets and shit.
>>
>>35768780

Good luck explaining that to retards, no amount of evidence can convince them because MUH 12 year old were grandfathers and people died when they were 15 and a half AND I AM BEING GENEROUS!
>>
>>35758444
Gtfo off here, they require 4-5000 calories just to stay warm and shit
>>
>>35755412
please explain this to the idiots who love to jog and end up running on their heels rather than the ball of the foot like we're supposed to.
>>
>>35755324
The only thing running long distance does is make you better at running long distance.
>>
>>35769354
Ex distance runner here, this is mostly true.
Most distance runners suck at cycling and swimming.
Then again the same can be said for most athletes including cyclists and swimmers.

Smart athletes like Alan Webb weight train and distance run.
If you aren't familiar with Alan Webb, he holds the American mile run record at 3:46. He benches 250 pounds at 145 pounds 5'9"
>>
>>35769261
No they don't
>>
>>35758164

Maybe in 500 years, someone will look up what we had to say about lifting and fitness and will find tumblr, fat activists and HAES.
That doesn't make it representative.
>>
>>35769416
How much do you lift then?
Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.