[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mfg/ mental fitness general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 7
File: lkqhCQB.jpg (507 KB, 1024x1216) Image search: [Google]
lkqhCQB.jpg
507 KB, 1024x1216
How does fit get them /brain gainz/?

I'm trying to get back into playing an instrument (guitar) and read more. Started Moby Dick this week.

Music improves fine motor control (for fingerbanging high test qts of course), memory, amazing stress relief, great social tool. Reading improves vocabulary and memory.

Come on, /fit/, what are your weekly brain routines?
>>
Pep talks and staying in character
>>
>>35750530
Reading has helped me a lot, especially self improvement books.

Psychedelic drugs have improved my standards of living by changing my perspective on life.

Just being a present person in your life, giving your life meaning and spending your time wisely. Nothing aggravates me more than people who spend 90% of their time on facebook or netflix.
>>
>>35750530

>breathing meditation
>playing the cello in my uni's symphony
>applied to help grad student's lab studies in cogsci
>reading textbooks
>lifting wheights obviously
>>
Number 1, leave 4chan. The longer breaks I take from this place the smarter I become.
Number 2, if you're trying to "get back into reading" regularly, don't try and read fucking Moby Dick you idiot. That's like being away from the gym for a year and coming back and trying to beat your last PR. Start with something light and work your way up, that's how you build a habit.
Number 3, if your motivation is honestly "fingerbanging high test qts" then you've already lost the war.
>>
I started riding a motorcycle last year, its actually my main reason for getting fit. That high end Dainese gear really only fits one body shape. I'm starting to write, just practicing for the coordination, and I'm writing with my left hand in addition to the right. Been thinking about giving myself a few math problems to do every night to dive back into it, math was always my worst subject in school.
I think eventually I'll build back up to pre calc then buy a calc text book off of Amazon or something. I really want to pickup an instrument too, but I don't want to pile too much on my plate either. As soon as the roads are clear I'm going to be riding during all of my free time.
>>
Mostly learning to code in new languages. But also reading books and getting into intellectual discussion with grad students and professors. Also watching TED talks
>>
>>35750721

>Also watching TED talks

hallo reddit
>>
>>35750530
that picture is tripping me the fuck out
>>
>>35750753
what do you have against ted talks
>>
>>35750530
hope whoever drew that has a long career cuz that is some next level shit
>>
>>35750753
>Not watching the smartest people in the scientific community lecture for free.

Hallo GED holder
>>
>breathing exercises
>consider a hobby
>volunteer, make a difference in your community
>be there for people you care about
>be there for people who care about you
I like to think of myself as a prosocial and caring person. Lately I've been trying to sign up to volunteer at my city's crisis centres, and also to homeless shelters.
>>
File: 1446608791483.jpg (10 KB, 300x168) Image search: [Google]
1446608791483.jpg
10 KB, 300x168
I don't do much self-improvement these days besides lifting, even though i've gained 5kg in two months and as a result feel like a while. I should be improving my french for my future career. I need to uninstall my PC games and get off of 4chan.
>>
nothing

I need to find hobbies that arnt on the internet
>>
>>35750861
me too
>>
>>35750861
>improve french
you Canada m8?
>>
>>35750697
not the anon you were responding to but what book do you recommend
>>
>>35750955
Something reasonably easy but still interesting and thought provoking.
I recommend one of two paths for this.
1) Read an easy classic, like Animal Farm or The Stranger. Both easy reads, both fairly fun reads, both carry implied messages that go beyond the direct text of the books (I know that neither book is extremely subtle but this is Starting Reading). After that find a few more, A Separate Peace is decent, some of Murakami's shorter novels that are a little less on the esoteric side (South of the Border, West of the Sea comes to mind), Jack London's books fall into this category. This is the path to the classics, the foundations of literature, that will eventually lead you through to your Moody Dicks and your Don Quixotes.
2) Read something you know you like, either because you're read it before, you got a trusted recommendation, it falls specifically in your interest or you like the media that has been adapted from it. Examples of this would be some Asimov or Tolkien, Robin Hobb's simple but enjoyable fantasy novels, that sort of thing. Either way, you'll be reading more, and it will be great for improving your vocabulary, your comfort with language, your communication and it gives you a hobby more independent than the Internet. Both paths to reading more are good, and both are typically successful if you stick through the first two reads. If you don't already know, the website Goodreads could help you pick a few books to get started with based on things you've already read and enjoyed. You may simply choose to start with my (or your friends' and family's) recommendations and them choose a few favourites to enter in Goodreads. Either way, I hope this helps, and I hope it gets you reading more.
Oh, and one more thing, nonfiction is great too, but it's a harder habit to develop. I'd say it's something to supplement your fiction reading with after you've built the new habit.
>>
>>35750908
Nah m8, ausfag
>>
Attending a top 100 ranked university and reading the newspaper daily
>>
>>35750697
Moby Dick isn't really a hard read just long as fuck.

It's not like I have to re-learn how to fucking read words off paper, I'm not an idiot, I just haven't spent time reading books for a while.
>>
>>35751076
I actually like to read nonfiction about shit i'm interested in (history and psychology) even more than reading nonfiction. It's easier for me to get into it personally and reading nonfiction helped me build the reading habit to use for fiction.

In general, I prefer movies for fiction stories and books for nonfiction.
>>
File: 43670_front.jpg (61 KB, 640x906) Image search: [Google]
43670_front.jpg
61 KB, 640x906
>>35750530
I have found so far that I'm most motivated to workout after I've worked out my brain muscles, I pushed this further and have discovered some things that I do as a pre-workout ritual once a week to set my focus, I find if I do these once a week I train longer and with more intensity and that post workout I can breathe more deeply and relax deeper,

>Creative Writing
>Write a letter to family or friend (no homo)
>Empathic listening to others or myself (basically Meditation but better)
>Spend 30 min studying another language, learning how to pronounce basic words/sayings
>No fap (only once a week or when hungover)

I would love some more ideas, what do you guys do around lifting that you find motivates you and increases your training?
>>
File: 1439177154416.gif (2 MB, 320x268) Image search: [Google]
1439177154416.gif
2 MB, 320x268
Mushrooms. Natty gainz
>>
>>35750602
As opposed to spending time on the ch0n?

>tips fedora
>>
>>35750814
You can do this. There are college lectures from places like MIT. A TED talk is not a lecture, it's a short entertainment piece. You are a retard.
>>
>>35750530
Not great brah's.

Used to have psychotic depression about a year and a bit back, and managed to pull myself out of it, but I'm starting to find myself forgetting entire portions of days, or not understanding shit that I know I should understand, and getting some slight hallucination stuff.

It's stressing me out, missed a week of lifting because of it, but I got back in today at least.

Dunno what to do about it really, there's no way I'm going back on medications, they fuck with my thinking too much, and I can't afford to deal with that right now.

Just gonna focus on my diet and routines I guess, hope it doesn't get worse, maybe try to spend a while away from here.

Good to vent a bit at least I guess.
>>
>>35752553
Aw sheeit, that's a good game. Kind of disappointing the brothers couldn't ever reconcile their differences thought though.
>>
>>35751558
Mobile Dick has a more varied vocabulary than most Americans, actually. That is to say the book contains more unique words than the median American knows. It also has a structure that varies significantly from modern novels, and the length and focus of paragraphs and ideas is more complex than most modern literature. I don't really believe you've read more than the first ten pages if you think it's "not that hard" or else you're just likely turning the pages and reading a synopsis so you can say "lol I read Moby Dick for them mental gains to impress the bitches". You're an illiterate fuckboy if you can't even recognize the difference, and failing to recognize that further demonstrates to me that reading that sort of literature is a waste of your time.
>>
>>35755148
It's an easy to read and entertaining book. English is'nt my first language but even I read it just fine. What are you talking about?

The only way it's a hard book is if you don't like the theme, idiot.
>>
>>35750530
People are going to have their own way to help themselves. One size does not fit all.
>>
>>35750530
can someone please explain to me how reading a bunch of shit u have no interest in is good for mental gains
>>
>>35750721
Pls stop watching Ted talks. It's basically a circle jerk for rich people. The talks are the least important part of the conference and are only a source of entertainment. Plus find a video that's not some weird non educational science art, not something about drones, not some SJW talking. Honestly just read something like Scientific American.
TED was good, but has become clickbait tier recently.
>>
>>35750530
I take creatine monohydrate powder. 5g a day. Drink coffee too.
>>
I read a lot, program, play guitar and I'm practicing math and german, though I'm not really consistent in practicing all of that yet.

2015 has been a battle considering the self-made hell I'm working to crawl out of, but we're all gonna make it.
>>
>I stopped drinking coffee after 3pm so I can get my sleep every night
>started using a cpap, didn't know I had sleep apnea until my roommates at college say I snore really loudly and gasp occasionally
Those two things alone seemed to have changed the way I feel about getting out of bed in the morning, I actually feel excited about starting my day because I got such a good nights sleep

>learning my dad's native language with personal tutor twice a week
>studying my old textbooks for an hour a day, getting ready for readmission to uni
>learning new roguelikes
And of course, lifting
>>
>>35750530
>what are your weekly brain routines?

i read a book or two
>>
>>35753044
>>35750814

He's right, watch these video series, learn you some schoolin'

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/audio-video-courses/
>>
>>35757546
>implying I don't already know this shit.

Ted talks are from industry leaders, those are professors. Why not take the dick out of your mouth and do both mongo?
>>
>>35757635
>Ted talks are [fluffy inspirational talks with no substance] from industry leaders

it's ok to like thrash, just don't pretend it's not
>>
>>35757635
Ted talks are a step above yahoo news articles. At best they'll keep you vaguely aware of current events.
>>
>>35750530
>Cut down procrastination on the internet
>No PC >1 before sleep
>Find out the best time to wake up via REM calc
>Exercise
>Cut sugar + caffine
>COLD SHOWERS
>read
>>
Who here /52booksayear/?
>>
Noopept
>>
>>35758446
Me
>>
>>35750530
Unliked like 95% of pages i liked on facebook and unfollwed everyone but about 20 of my friends, got instagram and twitter down so i'm only following like 80 people on each. They're all so boring now that i only need to check them once a day and i've seen all the major events.
In the middle of exams so i can't really do much but revise but after that i'm gonna pick up reading again and i'm gonna get guitar lessons in the summer.
>>
>>35750814
>TED talk
>Lecture
choose one
>>
>>35750530
>thinks he's gonna read moby dick

Normie you are not prepared for Melville, try some rl stein instead I bet it's more your speed.
>>
Noopept and Memantine. Yes I take an Alzheizmer's drug for mental gains and you should do.
>>
>>35758756
Why? Sounds ridiculous
>>
>>35758805
Because it works wonderfully. Not sure how effective it is for people with Alzheimers but it has definitely improved my memory. Literally the only nootropic that does what says.
>>
>>35758756
>>35758805
Just seen Memantine's uses in autism... It all makes sense
>>
>>35758825
Do me a favour and look up the placebo effect.
>>
>>35758844
I take noopept too and it worked for me too, concerning memory.
>>
>>35758446
Curious: how do you find a book to read every week ? I always have the problem that I don't really find something I like. But if I find something like a series of books with 5 titles I can read them within two weeks just because I like them.
>>
>>35750530

how does one get out of apathy. A really don't give a shit about anything anymore.
i used to be pretty depressed but after getting out of some bad habits things just feel empty.
>>
>>35758855
your post does not counter >>35758844
>>
>>35758855
If you aren't well into your sixties there's absolutely no reason for you to be taking them. All you're doing is telling yourself it's the drug helping you learn, not the hard work you put in
>>
>>35758881
I think it does, I expected it not to work
>>
>>35758886
I'm the original poster but not the guy you're replying to... You didn't at all. If you were countering my response you would show me evidence (trials/studies) of it being used to help memory in a young study group. Otherwise your claims are invalid
>>
>>35758927
I don't think they are, all I have is my experiences. I expected it not to work, it has. It's simple.
>>
To anybody who wants to start reading, but can't really figure out where to start, try Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.
It has an amazing mix of fiction, non fiction, world war 2, aliens, dimensions, time travel, and morality. You will be hooked if you start it.
>>
>>35758945
How much do you know about the pathogenesis of alzheimers?
>>
>>35758983
Nothing
>>
>>35758945
right, you think it is.
You provided anecdotal evidence from your own life. Anyone testing anything with any experience in science and objectivity would laugh at you. You think that your argument is good, but it really isn't. There could be many reasons for the gain aside from what you think it is, which is why more than one person's experiences are needed to make people believe you.
>>
>>35758945
I don't want you to get fucked over breh, that's the reason behind me questioning you. You're essentially putting yourself at risk of some pretty nasty side effects. The wiki page says that tremor is more common in younger people that take it. Also neurological impairment. Just be careful
>>
>>35758863
Read things you think you might not be interested in. Branch out. There are more than 52 books written a year that are worth reading guaranteed. Just google what the fuck other people are reading.
I've honestly just gone into a bookstore and grabbed a random thing off a random shelf before. ended up being a lame ass young adult fiction book called Germ, but it had an interesting premis.
Tl;dr just fucking pick something
>>
>>35758952
anything by that based author is pretty much gold
>>
File: 1336662154171.jpg (61 KB, 680x512) Image search: [Google]
1336662154171.jpg
61 KB, 680x512
i hate this playing an instrument/learning a language/reading a fucking book meme so fucking much.
these 3 activities are not more productive, theyre not more useful than pretty much everything else. books especially holy shit.
>>
>>35759036
Ok, you've convinced me, I'll stop taking it

Thanks breh
>>
>>35759059
cus it's fun.
Spartans loved signing and reciting poetry about making gains and dying beautifully.
>>
>>35759056
Dude the tralfamadorian perspective and Bokononism changed my life
>Tiger got to hunt,
>bird got to fly;
>Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
>Tiger got to sleep,
>bird got to land;
>Man got to tell himself he understand.
>>
>>35759007
Ok so one of the pathways that can lead to alzheimers is the mutation and aggregation (where it shouldn't be in the cell) of a specific protein (tau if you're really that interested) in nerve fibres meaning that less impulses can be generated and less of a neurotransmitter is released so impulses aren't passed on to the brain. Your drug helps prevent the removal of this neurotransmitter (acetylcholine by AChE) and helps an impulse to be passed on in damaged nerves. Because (i would imagine) you are young this will not be occurring so there is absolutely no need to use a drug that blocks the enzyme and if anything your just putting yourself at risk of damage for no reason at all.
>>
>>35759108
It'd be like getting dialysis with perfectly functional kidneys because you want your blood to be a little cleaner
>>
>>35759108
>>35759144
Thank you for the thorough explanation and yes I am only 20. I'll stop taking it, I think (hope) no damage had been done in the last month and a half I've been taking it.

I had initially started to take it, because I've read it increases nerve growth factor, and because I'm a dumbass I thought that equaled becoming smarter.
>>
>>35757699
Cold showers kill gains, bro
>>
>>35759210
Good, i didn't want to be a dick. I'm just not going to ignore someone taking something i know won't work/might harm them
>>
>>35750530
>part time laboratory assistant, learning while making wallet gains
>reading chinese literature
>learning japanese at uni, taking lessons in italian
>strategy vidya in free time, mainly improving keyboard smashing
>motherfucking sudoku solving - tier: MLG, buy a few booklets weekly
>>
>>35759059
Bill Gates had no friends when he went to a plebian public school, so he spent all of his free time reading. Warren Buffet claims that he spends 80% of his day reading, some of which is spent on books. Successful people read a lot.

I'm sorry that you don't like reading and are destined to be unsuccessful.
>>
>>35759351
>Here in my garage...
Are you quoting this advert? I sounds like it
>>
>>35759054
okay will try that after I re read the dune series.
>>
>>35759059
I gotta ask. How is reading books any worse than reading the drivel that's posted here day in, day out?
>>
>>35759383
The only time I've ever seen this guy is when he gets posted on /biz/.

I, too, saw the thread on /biz/ where some guy thinks (maybe it's you?) that reading 2-3 books in your entire life is better than reading a lot. If so, it's amazing how you're so desperate to prove that, contrary to the opinions of 99% of successful people, reading is not good for you.
>>
>>35759383
>something happened
>i ran into a lamborghini
>and then another lamborghini
>and then 5 more lamborghini's
every fucking time i see his face i crack up
>>
>>35759429
I'm in no way related to this string of comments, just posted the picture of the guy because it reminded me about it. Don't browse anywhere but /fit/ and occasionaly /ck/
>>
>>35758746
>Normie you are not prepared for Melville

Of course he is. He's a /fit/izen an Moby Dick is one of the most homo books ever.
>>
>>35750530
Moby dick is one of the best books ive read highly reccomend it
>>
File: 1358486890766.jpg (45 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1358486890766.jpg
45 KB, 500x350
>>35750530
>just started learning python
>reading (even though it's science fiction, for some it is not even real literature)
>3d modeling (i don't know how it helps my mental gains but I love it)
>meditation
>student at uni so need to write essays and think up hypotheses and shit
>learning new languages, it's French for now, gonna move on to German when I have my certificate
>watching old classic movies, mostly crime

>>35759421
Muh Fremen

>>35751076
I thought Moby Dick was relatively easy to understand, as well as Don Quixote. I loved the Don. It just entangled me. It was the first world literature novel I have read to the last letter. Maybe I did not understand the individual small themes that occur in these novels but the main theme was pretty clear.

What most people forget to mention in these threads is what dulls your mental gainz, here's mine, to get the full picture:
>drink every weekend
>playing vidya
>arguing with stupid people
>4chinz
>watching TV series that will never end and turn retarded in the 2nd or 3rd season
>rewatching retarded movies (all the martial art flicks and Arnold's action movies, cant stop watching them)

The latter ones heavily outweigh the former ones. Go on then, anons, confess those guilty pleasures that leave your mind a drooling mess.
>>
>>35759421
First person on the chan to ever respond postiviely to my advice, so here are some of my suggestions
Sirens of Titan by KV
Perfume by Patrick Suskind
Hallucinations by Oliver Sacks
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell
the above is best read after For Whom the Bell Tolls if you like Hemmingway

I also find I'm a huge fan of collections of essays or short stories.
Kurt Vonnegut short stories are Elder god tier storytelling.
Hills Like White Elephants gets an honorable mention, I guess.

I'm sure other anons might have more refined taste than me, those are just great reads that most people enjoy.
>>
>>35759704
>arguing with stupid people
>4chinz
These are the same thing.
>>
That's it. No more 4chan for me. It's official. I will never post here again. It's been 6 years and I'm tired of wasting hours every single day. I've probably wasted at least 10% of my life on here.

Wish me luck, brahs.
>>
>>35760162
See you later tonight
>>
I read research papers all day and work in a lab

I don't have time for much fiction reading but I've generally enjoyed 19th century russian lit. and post-war jap lit. over the past 5 or 6 years ago. I was into American postmodernism and early 20th century iranian lit. when I was younger and edgier.

Read some murakami for the first time over the holidays so I may end up reading more contemporary stuff.
Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.