[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33
File: gains goblin.jpg (73 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
gains goblin.jpg
73 KB, 1024x1024
Your daily Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

Mine: How do I train legs if I have a bad knee? Years of being a fat piece of shit, and running with shit tier shoes have fucked up the cartilage in my knee. Squatting causes a lot of pain. How do I train my legs without doing squats?
>>
Squatting causes pain because you are squatting incorrectly. Full range of motion. I would recommend high bar or front squats. Forget about low bar squats. Squatting properly would STRENGTHEN your knees, not make them weaker or hurt. Improve your mobility.
>>
>>35732727
Fat ass here doing SS.
I wanna do some cardio tomorrow because I feel like it. Thinking of my regular 20min on the treadmill that I do after weight but I want to add something so I just dont go for 20min to the gym. Maybe some machine leg raises?
>>
>>35732766

What difference would the high bar make?

>>35732791
Go for the rowing machine. It makes cardio fun IMO
>>
>>35732791
Anything but biceps...anything. Being more specific your best options are likely to work your legs & back. Being overweight/fat often fucks up your posture and its almost always due to weak back muscles. Train it early and as you lose weight you'll look good. Besides the legs/back are the largest systems of muscles which will give you the most bang for your buck.
>>
recent shoulder pain and weather has caused me to each like shit for a couple weeks now like just not staying 100% clean like having alcohol a couple times a week and eating snacks and shit but luckily my weight hasnt gone up

till my shoulder heals is it fine to do cardio at least 3-4 times a week to burn fat while my shoulder heals and getting my diet back under control so i can kick alcohol for good
>>
Is there a danger in eating less than 1200 calories a day if you are obese?

I set myself to a 1200 calorie/day limit, which is 600 below my BMR, because 1200 was the lowest I can find a medical source advocating for.

Thing is after a few weeks of doing it, I've felt far less need to eat, and don't mind feeling hungry at all. It's worrying me because sometimes I'm only managing 600-800 calories a day.

I mean, I'm loving the weight loss (42 pounds so far), but I don't want to be doing damage to my body in the process.
>>
Anyone tried nike pro combat elbow sleeves? There's nowhere in my city that sells anything from rehband, was wondering if the nike's would suffice for minor elbow tendonitis
>>
How much creatine should I take?

How many times a day/week should I take it?
Does it need to be after a workout or can I be when I wake up in the morning?
>>
>>35732981
5 grams per day, take 2.5g before and after your workout
>>
File: collagee.jpg (3 MB, 5500x2592) Image search: [Google]
collagee.jpg
3 MB, 5500x2592
how long until mire-worthy body?
>>
>>35732999
Another question.
I read somewhere that for the first week taking creatine you want to take 20g a day and then go down to 5g.

Apparently it's helps faster saturation or something.

Any truth?
>>
Will lifting get me laid? What if I'm Asian?
>>
>>35733028
>will lifting get me laid
Of course
>what of I'm Asian
Whoops nvm
>>
File: 1452578358355.jpg (298 KB, 1130x1080) Image search: [Google]
1452578358355.jpg
298 KB, 1130x1080
I run, and a PT at my gym said I should squat too. So about a month ago, he started me on 2x10lb plate 3x20 wide and deep, then 3x20 shoulder width, then 3x20 close. Once a week I check my 5rm. I started at 2x25lb plates. After a month I can do 2x45lb plates, but I could easily do multiple 5 rep sets of that.

So is there anything else I should be doing, squat related? I'm progressing, so I'm happy with the routine itself.

Picture is unrelated.
>>
Pulled a spinal erector doing deadlifts today. Already read about recovery, but any tips from someone else who has been in a similar situation? Can I still workout my upper body and have it not slow down my recovery?
>>
>>35732950
Not too much danger, just make sure you have enough protein and fat, and take a multivitamin to prevent any potential micronutrient deficiency. If you can comfortably eat 600-800cal/day doing this, go ahead. But check to make sure nothing is goes wrong(eg. normal blood pressure and heart rate, no yellow skin, piss doesn't turn brown, no ketosis symptoms, etc.), if something seems wrong, up your calories, and if things don't return to normal go to a doctor.
>>
>>35732950
God yes. Find your BMR (Scoobert has a good calculator). You are cannibalizing your own muscle eating that little. It doesn't matter if you're at 40% bf or at 10% bf, you -500 kCal per day is the magic number if you're trying to drop weight.

Eat clean and have patience, famsterdam
>>35733028
Lifting, yes. Asian - not so much unless you're going to date a qt asian.
>>
>>35733022
No truth, your muscles cannot phosphorylate excessive creatine so it just gets turned into creatinine and pissed out. Loading phases are unnecessary, just jump right into 5g/day routine. You also don't actually need to go on off weeks.
>>
>>35733044
>he started me on 2x10lb plate 3x20 wide and deep, then 3x20 shoulder width, then 3x20 close. Once a week I check my 5rm. I started at 2x25lb plates. After a month I can do 2x45lb plates, but I could easily do multiple 5 rep sets of that.

you should be measuring your squats in weight and not "plates"
>>
File: prog.jpg (37 KB, 469x536) Image search: [Google]
prog.jpg
37 KB, 469x536
Was 260 pounds back in october and I've managed to go down to 209 at 5'10 king of manlets status.

1) Do you think I have gyno?
2) Do you think I'll have problem with loose skin? My goal weight is 170 pounds.
>>
>>35733140
I don't know how much the bar weighs desu
>>
>>35733141

You don't have gyno, you're just high bf%. And loose skin will depend on your genetics mostly.
>>
Poorfag here. Having a hard time meeting my protein goals for a given day. Meat is expensive to eat daily, and between two jobs taking time to cook can be bothersome, so some days I eat vegetarian, oats/baked potatoes usually. This hasn't bothered me because I need to lose weight.

My question is: What is a cheap protein powder that doesn't taste like ass? All the ones I have access to at stores are loaded with amino acids/other shit, and bulking ingredients. I just want fucking whey protein and possibly a flavor that doesn't taste terrible. Low calorie/carb, high protein, on the go.
>>
Lads is there any way for me to calculate my bf percentage properly?

I'm 18 and still growing, but body fat calculators tell me I'm at 3.4% lmao. Will it only work as soon as I stop growing?
>>
>>35733174
milk and specially powdered milk for convenience
eggs, caned, tuna, lentls, beans
whey is expensive
>>
>>35733174
ON makes good shit, and you can buy in bulk. My proton shakes are 1/2 casein and 1/2 whey protein and they're 42g of protons a pop.

>>35733163
45 lbs is standard
>>
>>35733141
No gyno, some stretch marks but your skin looks like it has pulled itself back well so far. At 170 who knows? If you're young your chances are better, but genetics also play a big role.
>>
File: c.jpg (27 KB, 594x526) Image search: [Google]
c.jpg
27 KB, 594x526
I'm very confident in my squat form and I've been on a good linear progression with no injuries or pain. But the top of my back right under my neck between my shoulders does always ache from resting the bar on it. Is this always a thing? Am I resting the bar on the wrong place when squatting?
>>
>>35733236
>>35733169
Is there something I can consume to increase skin elasticity/condition/firmness?

Like some vitamin or some kind of wild amazonian super secret kebab tree.
>>
>>35733007
you could look dope in 9 months to a year if you do things right. Be consistent,
>>
File: lFmzBF4.jpg (30 KB, 281x260) Image search: [Google]
lFmzBF4.jpg
30 KB, 281x260
HOW THE FUCK DO YOU DO SQUATS WITHOUT SHITTING YOURSELF WHAT THE FUCK!
>>
>>35733207
those electric measurements are inaccurate as shit because they pass a current just through your arms/chest which have a low fat content and also they machines are cheap and sucky, try using calipers instead. If you have the money get a DEXA scan.
>>
>>35733294
First step is stop stretching your anus with dick so your sphincter gets some off-time and pulls itself back together.

Second step is not squatting around the time your body is about to take a shit.
>>
>>35732831
Deeper depth, therefore increasing range of motion.
>>
File: 1391811251384.jpg (127 KB, 700x1050) Image search: [Google]
1391811251384.jpg
127 KB, 700x1050
i need a sweet heartwarming text to send my girlfriend. we had a minor fight over me flirting with another girl and being alone with her for a while at a party. talked to her today and fixed things up, but before i go to bed i want to text her something sweet.

Also, a few days ago i was doing OHP and my shoulder made a cracky noise and hurt a bit but the pain went right away so i kept repping. i added 10lbs since last time, now at 110lbs. doing SL. it doesnt hurt now, but it kinda feels weird. any tips? my form looks fine i guess
>>
Lost 40 lbs so far. Need to close another 50. I have been on a plateau now for 6 weeks. 3 Weeks ago I decided to do more to get through it, so I calculated my BMR (2000) & my TDEE (2400). I started eating 1850 calories (measuring everything I eat).

If you average out my last 16 days I have eaten 1844 calories, weight is exactly the same. Should I cut another 100 calories or should I just try to give my metabolism some time to rebound from the initial fat loss?
>>
>>35733266
Try squeezing your traps together to create a good muscle cushion to rest the bar on, rather than your spine. If you already do this and it's the muscle that hurts, there is nothing you can do and you should take pride in the soreness/perpetual knurling scratches imprinted in your back, just like with callouses.
>>
File: il_570xN.258803614.jpg (58 KB, 570x511) Image search: [Google]
il_570xN.258803614.jpg
58 KB, 570x511
My lifting shoes have been on backorder for two fucking months. I can't wait any longer goddammit.

Can I squat in these until they arrive??
>>
>>35733174
Isopure unflavored protein is the shit. No flavoring so it's easy to overpower. You can't taste it as long as you try masking it.
>>
>>35733351
I won't give you any advice but I'll just call it
this guy will be posting in >tfwnogfgeneral soon enough
>>
>>35733281
No magic cream for tightness. Vitamin E cream helps with stretch marks though. Just keep hydrated and eat healthy with no macro/micro deficiency(take a multi) and hope for the best
>>
same question as >>35732727

we need a not a doctor
>>
>>35733388
You may be experiencing a "stall and whoosh" of loss. There is this theory out there that sometimes fat cells will be emptied of triglycerides(energy) and temporarily store water(filler), they after a certain amount of time the cells drop the water and shrink, but before that weight stays the same. Keep with what you've got, if you don't see a drop in weight in a week or so, drop another 100 and see if that works.
>>
>>35733400
if your feet are stable enough ad the neck doesn't block your legs motion then why not
>>
>>35733409
maybe, not that i care that much
she has a delicious body tho
>>
>>35732727
>>35733487

I agree with>>35732766, you should try some yoga or other stretching/mobility regime. You can also try using knee sleeves.
>>
Nutrition labels always list carbohydrates, and then below that have something along the lines of:

> Dietary Fiber: X
> Sugars: Y

Thing is, the dietary fiber and sugars don't always add up to the number of carbs. I'm looking at something right now that has 15 carbs, 3 from fiber and 2 from sugar. Where are the other 10 carbs?

I've also seen things listed as 0 calories per serving, but also list having 2 carbs per serving, and no dietary fiber. How the fuck can something have 0 calories but also carbs?

Someone explain this dark magic?
>>
>>35733543
carbs arent only sugar or fiber you know. by sugar the label means that its either really simple carbs like glucose or fructose or added white sugar. rest is complex carbs you find in bread or vegetables. complex carbs still breaks down to simple ones, but thats a whole other topic and your body handles that.
the 0 calorie thing is probably a mistake made by the manufacturer or specific carb that your body cant digest and burn
>>
>>35733487
Thanks for the response, i'll have to do some research on it and see what they say, but I appreciate the idea.

I have also been working out so some could be body recomp (started taking pictures to look for visual progress) but we'll see. I try to keep a certain intensity to my workouts by timing all my time between sets and having no more then 60 seconds between any one lift.

I also walk 3 days a week and jog 3 days a week, more for some cardiovascular health then actually for weight loss, I assume my sedentary life has put some strain on it, may as well work it out some.
>>
Is it cheating if I pause for 1-2 seconds at the top while squating, in between reps? Sometimes I just need to catch my breath
>>
>>35733059

Pls respond
>>
>>35733643

No, you're fine to pause, just stay tight.
>>
File: Two Way General.jpg (371 KB, 1400x1400) Image search: [Google]
Two Way General.jpg
371 KB, 1400x1400
There's this smartphone application that behaves like a two-way radio. You connect to a channel number, and talk to whoever is on the other end. I really like the idea of sharing the channel number on a message board and talking to people from all over the world. It is really interesting talking to anons IRL.

Consider this a general. These threads will give details about the channel and when people are available to talk. The application is called 'Two Way: Walkie Talkie' and is available for Android and iOS.
http://www.1mobile.com/two-way-walkie-talkie-2355827.html
https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/two-way-walkie-talkie/id595560554?mt=8

Be conscious that others may be listening to your conversation. Be careful what you say - don't reveal your exact address or anything like that.
Be aware the app is fairly buggy and you should expect it to crash on occasion. Force-stopping and re-entering the app usually provides a solution.

>The channel number is 757575.
>>
>>35733643
That's pretty standard. More of a powerlifting thing to ensure optimal tightness, more bodybuilding style just to keep pushing reps for the burn
>>
File: saccharides.png (179 KB, 2258x830) Image search: [Google]
saccharides.png
179 KB, 2258x830
>>35733543
Wikipedia has a nice list of carbs. Listed separately are only sugars and some non-starch polysaccharides which are classified as dietary fibre, such as cellulose, in particular.
>>
>>35733740
>galactose
Sounds like a super villain
>>
Warning: Incredibly stupid question.

Does front squat carry over to highbar back squat?
>>
What's a good hunger encouraging substance or basic energy for an older person dealing with stomach cancer ?
>>
>>35734014
Sperm
>>
If I weigh 195 pounds and I only get 100g of protein in a day, should I even bother going to the gym?
>>
>>35734040
Don't ever respond to my posts again
>>
>>35734014
>hunger encouraging substance
garlic
>>
>>35734105
Why don't you get more protein. How tall are you?
>>
>>35732727
>Squatting causes a lot of pain. How do I train my legs without doing squats?

bad knee anon here. it was bad since I was a kid - one day I was watching pokemans on tv while sitting on the floor, stood up and fucking fell back on my ass because it was like someone fucking shot me in the right knee with a railgun and then it fucking hurted for weeks, then it didn't hurt for 10 years.
10 years latter I was getting up a ladder and the moment I had my weight on my right leg it was exactly like that time when I was a kid, except it continues to bother me five years since then. it's really fucking weird, some days it hurts when I get put my weight on it, some days it doesn't hurt when I squat heavy, some days it hurts after 10 bodyweight squat reps, some days I can do 50 and that doesn't happen.
I've started warming up my legs thoroughly before squats and that improved them a lot. most days there's no pain even during 1 RM. I do 15 minutes of HIIT on stationary bike (biking doesn't hurt my knee whatsoever, oddly), then leg extensions, then calf raises, then ramp my weight up from empty bar to working weight.
warming up without biking doesn't help me since knee sometimes starts hurting on 2nd bodyweight rep

tldr warmup with stationary bike before squats
>>
>>35734133
You can't stomach my replies?
>>
File: chocolates-3d-printing[1].jpg (160 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
chocolates-3d-printing[1].jpg
160 KB, 1024x682
What's /fit/'s policy on cheat days/meals?
>>
>>35733627
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n6/full/0802296a.html

This is a good article that sortof supports the idea. Its not a definate, but it may be a contributer to your stalled weight loss. Stay positive and keep moving forward
>>
>>35732727
so basically you got some brown stuff on your blue stuff and now u cant squat.
>>
>>35734182
I think it's good to have a day of caloric surplus once a week, to stop metabolic adaption and to reset some hormone levels. Don't go crazy with it. This is a refeed, not a cheat. Cheating implies you can't stick to the schedule, and encourages you to randomly break from your diet and fuck it up. Do it the same day every week.
>>
>>35734175
top kek
>>
>>35732727
>How do I train legs if I have a bad knee?
cycling
start slow and short
great for your calves and improves nutrition of cartilage
>>
>>35734014
>older person dealing with stomach cancer ?
I-is grandma dying? :(
>>
>>35734219
thanks
How much surplus are we talking?
>>
>>35734152
6'4"
I will try
What should I be aiming for
>>
>>35734443
>What should I be aiming for
going to the gym
even raw vegans get gains from the gym
if diet is 50% of the results, lifting is a conditio si ne qua non
wit only lifting you get 50% of gains , without you get 0% even with a good diet
also proteins needs are widely exagerated by supplements industry
>>
>>35733997
All squats carry over into other squats
>>
I would know if I had a herniated disk right?
>>
>>35734351
That's up to you, probably only a couple hundred or so though.

>>35734443
1.8 g per kilogram is the maximum required. That is two standard deviations higher than the highest ever natural recorded protein synthesis in a human. Anything higher is a meme. HOWEVER, higher protein intakes than that can be helpful for satiation and muscle sparing when cutting, but when bulking don't go higher.
>>
Any of you guys deal with knee tendonitis. How did you get rid of it?
>>
>>35734629
Not necessarily. My father walked around with one for 5 years without getting it checked or treated. Not recommended btw.
>>
>>35734678
Become sedentary caterpillar or gimpy leg until healed. Can take forevertime.
>>
>>35734295
Yes, but she has good quality of life right now. Just needs to keep on weight and try to help her not be so tired all the time
>>
>>35734678
Don't do anything that hurts it for a week, then deload and come back. If it still hurts rest for a few more days and test it. Tendonitis is usually caused by bad form, are you going on to your toes when you squat? Knees collapsing when you come up?
>>
>>35734713
Nah nothing like that. I can still lift no problem, but I can't run or play basketball as often as I would like. I've had it for about half a year now and only really bothers me if I do any of those things like 3 days in a row. I wear a brace that definitely helps, but I would like to be able to go without it.
>>
>>35734704
You're a good man, senpai
>>
>>35734755
If it only hurts when running it could be osgood schlatters, google it lad
>>
File: Am7mrgu.jpg (140 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
Am7mrgu.jpg
140 KB, 600x800
How do I make social gains? Can you recommend any good books to help understand empathy and body language?

I read Win Friends and Influence People but it didn't really stick with me, I'm thinking I'll make a poster or something to remind me of the key points and read it every day.

I'm on the autistic spectrum and have a real problem with this. I made progress in strides and leaps years ago and thought I'd gotten it sussed. Now I realise I only figured out enough to realise how bad at it I really am. Like before I was totally ignorant to the situations around me and now I do better, but because of that I've realised there's this whole other class of more advanced problems that I don't understand. People treat me differently for reasons I don't understand because I do things that I don't realise I'm doing differently to others. I want to change this fundamental part of myself and I'm not sure where to start.
>>
File: FMaLi2N.jpg (61 KB, 480x635) Image search: [Google]
FMaLi2N.jpg
61 KB, 480x635
>>35734872
I thought making gains and the confience that entails would sort everything out. But that can't teach me what to say when or how to interpret body language.

I dunno, can anyone recommend social skills books for autists?
>>
Someone did cc?
Where will cc gonna take me?
>>
my gf just blabs her mouth and never seems to think that what she is saying might be boring, annoying for the person (me) listening.

also when doing rows do I go straight up or pull it towards my stomach ?
>>
>>35734872
goto club alone.

force yourself to meet people.

repeat
>>
Face pulls arent doing anything for me. What do you guys do for rear delts?
>>
File: wVIdOpB.jpg (812 KB, 1314x744) Image search: [Google]
wVIdOpB.jpg
812 KB, 1314x744
>>35735051
Have you done this? What did it achieve?
>>
>>35735091
bend over and extend backwards. like you would for triceps. but move your whole arm backwards
>>
I tried reverse rows and really liked the movement. Felt very natural and controlled. However I banged out like 15 reps and probably could have kept going. How am I supposed to add weight?
>>
File: image.gif (2 MB, 250x308) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2 MB, 250x308
How much cardio us too much I usually run 1 mile after lifts is it ok to add more cardio to off days or will I lose gains?
>>
>>35735105
yes. many times.
im fucking autism as well.

>go out
>go early
>walk up to first group of people you see
>"heyy whatsup I think we're really early, does it fill it later?"
>introduce yourself
>talk about work or school
>"alright cool imma hit the wahsroom"
>take a break
>go approach another set of people

continue this at the same bar at the same day you will start to see the same people. Make friends.

I've done it a bunch of times. It works well. You can easily get a cool hangout spot. Everyone else is looking to meet people too. They just use alcohol to make it easier.

If it gets awkward say this. I have.

>talking to group of girls
>it gets awkward
>"yah sorry I have autism and I'm trying to battle it by meeting new people" -me
>"wow you seem normal" -her
>"im on meds" -me
>"well Ill see you guys in a but" - me
>meet more people

its hard but totally do able.
>>
>>35735148
Go ahead just make sure you eat enough
>>
File: ftN6yqf.jpg (164 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
ftN6yqf.jpg
164 KB, 960x720
>>35735149
Can you really hold a conversation in the club with how loud it is? Do you go to the smoking area? Do you dance?
>>
I see some guys walking on an inclined treadmill after a workout.

What does this do? More test? is this HITT?
>>
what does 5/3/1 mean? and not the program but in volume
>>
What are some /fit/related sports? Doing nothing but lifting can get quite boring
>>
>>35735304
Climbing is just as autistic and gives massive chest and arm gains.
>>
File: 331289148_01_a.jpg (8 KB, 288x288) Image search: [Google]
331289148_01_a.jpg
8 KB, 288x288
Anyone tried nike pro combat elbow sleeves? There's nowhere in my city that sells anything from rehband, was wondering if the nike's would suffice for minor elbow tendonitis
>>
>>35735258
everything.

Going early is easier to talk to people. Setup a few groups of people you can come back to.
Clubs/bars have quieter places to chat. Don't goto some EDM/ADD scream bass fest.

Yeah goto smoking areas.

I do rounds.

>walk to group chat
>goto washroom take a break
>go outside to smoke pit
>chat
>go back inside
>find a cute girl dancing
>dance with her a bit

smoke pits are easier. Everyone is really friendly.

I do get this anxiety feeling where I want to keep moving. Standing still and looking at the club makes me super fucking anxious. Feels like ice is melting on my chest. I have to keep moving. I get into this autism loop where I am walking around too much. I get afraid someone will see me and think "wow what a loser he has no friends". But in ALL honesty. No one is fucking thinking that.

over time you develop a momentum. If you go out alot you get more social. In a month you've met more people and was more socially adventurous then 95% of people.

you'll start to realize most people are just isolated in their little bubble of life
>>
>>35735296
5 reps, 3 reps, 1 rep, each with increasing weight
>>
Got a deltoid Muscle Strain today (grade 1) i just recently got back to the gym from winter break and im just so pumped to workout. I've had ice, heating pad and Diclofenac on it for the entire day. It's back day tomorrow, which ill just skip, i understand that i should skip working chest and shoulders, but can i still do back and legs, or should i just wait for it to heal completely before doing anything?
>>
>Running
>feel like something pinched in my ass
>Leg starts to hurt and tense up
Going to go see a doc about this but it's been a thing for a few years now but only recently wanted to get back into cardio

Any ideas /fit/ Pretty sure it's a nerve but any recommendations to alleviate it?
>>
>>35735108
I genuinely cant visualise this. Any visual representations of this anywhere?
>>
>>35732727
Any tips for starting with deadlifts and squats ? How many times per week ? How did you learn the correct form ?
>>
>>35735599
watch?v=N4FiVzcfFPg
>>
>>35735623
>how did you learn correct form

I gave up and did trapbar deads and Bulgarian squats
>>
>>35735625
Thanks bro, helps a lot.
>>
>>35733174
>All the ones I have access to at stores are loaded with amino acids/other shit

Proteins are amino acid sequences dumbass.

Order bulk whey concentrate from MyProtein. It's fucking 50 cents per shake worst case scenario, considerably less depending on how much you buy and what deals you manage to get.

Unflavoured is cheaper and fine, mix it with milk or some shake powder. However, the money you're going to be wasting on said milk and / or shake powder is probably best spent by ordering it flavoured.

Calorie and protein wise, it will likely save you money by the end of the month compared to what you eat in its place.
>>
>>35735623
Don't try to make your own program yet. Any beginner program will have a decent frequency for squats and/or deads.

Practice, practice, practice. Watch lots of videos on form. Do plenty of reading.

Stretch. Work on flexibility.

When in doubt, start light.

>>35735564
If it's something nerve related, stick to doctor's advice. Don't look for it on /fit/, nerve pain/impingement isn't something to fuck around with.

>>35735512
If it hurts, don't do it. Try lightening your workload on worrisome movements and see how you feel, but when in doubt, skip it.

Delt injuries are a pain because they get stressed to a certain extent in nearly all compound movements.

>>35735287
LISS cardio at the end of a workout.

>>35735136
That's the tricky part with bodyweight exercises - progressively overloading them is difficult.

Weighted vests/belts are a possibility. Otherwise it may be a better idea to find a different exercise.

>>35735091
Keep your shoulders rolled forward during the pull. Setting the scapula back makes it more of a trap exercise.

>>35735030
Depends on the row and what you're trying to accomplish.

>>35733652
Yes, depending on how bad the strain is. Don't do anything that'll aggravate it further.

Things like chest supported rows, isolations, etc. can come in handy when dealing with an erector strain.

>>35733207
Estimates are just that - estimates. They all have varying degrees of inaccuracy. I usually just go with visual estimates - they're cheap and give you a ballpark idea of where you are.
>>
>>35732727
Saw a similar question being asked before:
When are you finished with your workouts? I've been training for 3 years and whenever I finish my routine, I dont feel tired etc. So I end up doing more exercises to compensate. Should I just finsih my routine and be done with it even if I can do more? This applies to all muscles, but especially arms
>>
I do full body workouts. 4x a week. each workout is 2 hours.

I am making gains, I dont' think im over training. I do 60secs between sets.

Is a lowered workout time better?
my gains are good, but maybe lagging in chest.
>>
>>35735907
You shouldn't do 4 full body splits a week. You'll be hitting the same muscles back to back without rest in between. Muscles repair and grow during rest days, if you skip them you skip gains, literally.

If you want to do four times a week, switch to ULUL or PPLFb.
>>
>>35735992
I've made gains tho.
>>
File: Nazi soldier.jpg (12 KB, 282x366) Image search: [Google]
Nazi soldier.jpg
12 KB, 282x366
Hey guys
When i squat my left knee cave in , my hip shift left side after squat i feel pain in my left groin.
I tried to push out all the time but still happing.
I think, i have hip snapping syndrome on my left leg.Because my hip cracking too

My form

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR1UWbS_TSI|

Any advice ?
>>
>Bigger Leaner Stronger: The Simple Science of Building the Ultimate Male Body by Michael Matthews

Is this book worth picking up?

I'll probably pick up Starting Strength and a cookbook whilst I'm at it as I wanted to get more involved with the fitness stuff.
>>
So ive been doing ss for 3 months but I was doing it wrong. Did the SS stall, no warm-up sets, etc.

I finally purchased the book and saw this, so I've restarted SS doing it correctly.

However I'm wondering if I can start to add in accessories now or should I still wait the said few weeks?
>>
Starting my first cut. How much weight can I healthily lose per week?
>>
>>35736012
Learn what "optimal" is.
>hurr durr I know how to program better than people who have done this their whole lives
You don't, you're an idiot.
>>
>>35736034
so full body 3x a week is better?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-20-21-27-06.png (122 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-20-21-27-06.png
122 KB, 1080x1920
This will be my routine coming back after a long lay off. What I don't understand is where to program in core work and which methods for core will work best. I know some may be of the opinion that squats and deadlift are enough for core but from my own experience it's not, I ignored core for years and I felt it was lagging behind and limiting my progress.

If anyone would be so kind as to suggest a few movements to tag onto day A or B, nothing too fancy just enough for continuous development. I'll stress that it's not for aesthetic abs just good strength
>>
>>35736043
Absolutely. Technically the most efficient for natties across the board. Add in some accessories like pull ups, dips, bicep and triceps work at the end of your workouts if you feel like you can do more.
>>
>>35736018

Maybe try to narrow your stance, your feet look like they might be a bit too far apart.
>>
>>35736012
You'll make gains regardless of routine if you are eating and sleeping like a regular person. Whether you're making good use of your time at the gym is a different story, especially since you claimed to use 8 hours per week there. That's a lot.

If you want to keep doing full body, say because you like it or because you're still a beginner, then yes swap to 3 times a week. I know it sucks for that double rest day, but shit happens weeks have an odd number of days. If you have an immensely flexible schedule and can theoretically hit the gym at any given day, then you can do full body 3.5x a week alternating every day.
>>
>>35736093
I made huge gains on a 4x full body workout. I'd workout for 2 hours. but ate alot.

im going to stick to a 3x a week idea.
>>
>>35733059
Yeah, just don't deadlift or squat for a week. Again it depends how bad it is. If you're a pussy and it's not too bad, just go lighter and don't push yourself for a week or two.
>>
>>35736104
I've been training for ~8 years. I've gained over 50lbs of lean muscle mass in my journey.

I find at the end of 2 hours of working out I still have energy.

I get home and I'm still energized. sometimes making it hard to sleep. which might be over training.

I think ill goto 3x a week. And go slow on the eccentric parts of the workout.
>>
>>35735904
bump
>>
File: IMAG0119_1.jpg (1 MB, 2858x2858) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0119_1.jpg
1 MB, 2858x2858
>>35736130
>50lbs of lean muscle
>>
>>35736150

120lbs to 180lbs. 15% bf. I started benching the bar
>>
>>35736130
Holy shit, that's a lot of years and progress. Clearly what you're doing is working, so take what we're saying here with a grain of salt.

Good luck with the 3x, hopefully it for some mysterious reason balances your energy and you can sleep better.
>>
>>35736170
I've always had trouble sleeping. since I was a kid.

does going slowler during reps actually help build more?
>>
>>35736150
It's not impossible, not even implausible.

I have an extremely dyel friend who started lifting two years ago. Went through SS, now doing Texas. He's put on over 40 pounds already. Went from skinny lean to built but still lean.
>>
>>35735794
>don't make your own your program yet

So the beat would probably be to read into DLS and practice them at first with a lower amount if weight.
>>
>>35736192
I just wished I got bigger /stronger after all these years.

it gets harder and harder to gain.
>>
>>35733351
Haha! Look at this guy flirting with another girl in the modern day when your current gf could replace you faster than you could say "I love you". You're living on the edge, friendo.
>>
>>35736185
That sucks to hear. Sleep is probably at the top of one's health.

What do you mean going slower during reps? Performing the actual exercise in a slower motion? If that's what you meant then kind of, tension is what you want for hypertrophy. That's why bodybuilders tend to do slow paced sets with high volume. They're trying to hit whatever tension threshold they believe is best for that particular muscle to grow.
>>
Can someone explain to me IIFYM? I think it might be easier for me just to calorie count, but I'm open to counting macros. Will counting macros make me a bit "softer" or should I just focus on calories? I'm 5'6", 120-ish pounds.
>>
I was recently able to quit my shitty retail job in favor of taking 4 classes at the local college and going full cocoon mode.

I'm 5'10.5, 220lbs, still fat as fuck but with some noob gains, have been on SS the past 5 months or so.

I'm trying to get in shape for the military. The military requires cardio. Cardio kills gains but, what ya gonna do.

My question for you guys is, do you think I should be running err day, or every other day? If the latter, should I do cardio+lifting on the same day, or stagger them?

Also, since I'm coccooning and have more time to waste at the gym, I was wondering if now was the time to switch to a new program, or at least add more lifts to what I'm doing now?
>>
So /fit/, I think I damaged my serratus anterior muscle, not sure how. It hurts like a hot needle right at the bottom of the shoulder blade.

Shit burns hard, I don't even know how it happened or how help it recover because it hits me like a knife stab during seemingly unrelated movements. I bend down or move an arm in some way and next thing I know I'm crouched over trying to reach a spot in my back that really isn't easy to reach with either hand and screaming internally.

wat do
>>
>>35736224
yeah

is it

high weights vs slow tempo
>>
>>35736204
Diminishing returns are a bitch. If you are the same guy from the 8 years and full body workouts, then you should have probably progressed already into more advanced splits no?
>>
>>35736249

Splits aren't exactly necessary, even for more advanced lifters. Thinking of it in terms of full body/basic and split/advanced is just outright wrong.
>>
>>35736249
I did a 3x split for years.

full body is best for me imo
>>
Are SARMS legit? My friend just started using them about a month ago and won't stop talking about them. Anyone have any info?
>>
>>35736150
8 years, not impossible
>>
File: 294952_3.jpg (70 KB, 380x329) Image search: [Google]
294952_3.jpg
70 KB, 380x329
>>35736102
I will try monday thanks for the advice !!
>>
>>35736299
I perhaps could of gained more.

I'd get distracted / just maintaining.

it got slower and slower as years went on
>>
>>35732727
I know that this place puts more emphasis on strength, but does anyone have any good intermediate/experienced routines for aesthetics? Especially upper body, I'm almost t-rex mode
>>
>>35736267
Well, today I learned then.
>>
I tried lifting and had to stop halfway through my routine because I was getting too light headed.

Am I fucking OK? This hasn't happened before
>>
>>35736324
What lift were you getting light headed on? I've occasionally had a head rush after doing barbell rows.

Fight through the pain, pussy. Make them gains.
>>
>>35735992
>You'll be hitting the same muscles back to back without rest in between.
New research has shown that squatting every day is actually very good for gains. Full body workouts or an upper/lower split are more effective than a bro split.
>>
how much bf% could i lose in 6 weeks when im currently at 21%
>>
>>35736371
the 4x a week I felt really helped. I enjoyed working back to back.

I do a 3x8 @ slightly less then 80% of max. then a few isolations

its 2 hours of working out. which I don't really mind. just trying to find out what works best for me.

I might go lower weight , slower reps. and try to decrease my workout time.

I also do 60seconds between sets.
>>
>>35736237
If you're not stalling on SS don't change your routine. If you are or when you do, swap to the Texas method.
Cardio doesn't kill gains, that's a meme. Just do it on your rest days or in the mornings before you do weights. It's really up to you and how you feel on a day to day basis. You might need to drop the weights a bit initially while your body gets used to the increased cardio.
>>
>>35736393
2 whole bodyfats.

serious answer: depends on genetics, diet, how much work you put in... why don't you JUST DO IT then see how you did after three weeks?
>>
>>35736371
Upper/lower splits don't target the same muscles back to back though. The goal is precisely the opposite.
>>
>>35736425
i am going to do it, im just wondering what i can expect, i wanna get as low as possible then start a bulk for the next 7-8 months afterwards
>>
>>35732727
>How do I train my legs without doing squats?
Listen, OP:
Years ago, I was you. I topped out at over 300lbs (6'4" tall btw), and I got out of bed one day (inactive and unemployed for a couple years) and collapsed to the floor because my knees gave out. Torn cartilege in them. Here's what you need to do:

1. Go see doctors about the knees. Get a diagnosis. You might need surgery to fix the cartilege. Keep at them until they fix the problem.
2. You'll need rehab. Struggle through it. Follow directions with regards to exercise after that.
3. Lose the fat. You'll need cardio as well as *conservative* lifting. Leg press will probably be better for you and much safer than squats; tough luck for you, just do it.
4. Don't give up.
>>
>>35736396
Instead of doing that you could add in variations of the compound lifts on different days and reduce the number of isolation movements you perform. Can also vary the weights and the rep ranges (look up DUP). If you find you're getting too fatigued and not recovering fast enough, just deload.
Don't listen to people about training the same muscles every day lol that's bro science. Your body adapts haha.
>>
>>35736401
I am stalling on SS, but I think that's more because a. im on the ex-fatty perma-cut walk of shame and (more importantly) b. my left side is weaker than my right side thanks to years of being a fat shitter.

185 skwatz, 95 ohp, 135 bench are my 5rm, while 185 dl is my 1rm thanks to weak core because again, fat.

Still stick to SS?

I also appreciate the advice regarding cardio. Think I'll start out with C25k on rest days and amp up as the weeks go by. Thanks for the help, friendo.
>>
>>35736445
Lower day: do a deadlift/squats
Upper day: do bench/rows

These all use your upper back and core.
>>
Looking to order a Triceps bar since I don't have enough space to supporta bench or full sized barbell in my home and have no access to a gym in my small town.

After looking through some, I've been seeing a lot of mixed reviews on quality. Is there any manufacturer that /fit/ would suggest for having good quality equiptment? York? Gold Standard? Bodymax? Ect.

Also, are there any other things I should get, I've got some dumbells and 40kg of plates, want to order another 20kg and a triceps bar and just wondering if there is anything else space-concious that I should get.

Unfortunately none of the door-mounted pull-up bars are suitable for my house due to positioning of the doors compared to walls, the only one that could have space has a glass window directly above the doorframe.
>>
>>35736355
Started during the bench, then every time I came up out of the squat.
It didn't hurt, but it didn't feel right.
>>
>>35736456
>DUP

so front squat on one day? stiff legged on another?

I still do a ABXABXX

I switch my compounds up. vert vs flat bench. squat, deadlift, pullups, rows .etc
>>
3x8 = strength
3x6 = mass

r-right /fit/?
>>
>>35736456
>DUP

looks like shit. I hate leaving the gym knowing I've done fucking nothing.
>>
Fatty here wanting to loose 20 lbs

i use machines for the lifting part , cuz i just want to burn the fat

should i use free wegiths(dumbells, plates and shit) rather than machines?
>>
>>35733266
Make the corrections in >>35733389
Also, if its till hurts in your traps, then it might be worth getting it loosened up. read: massage
>>
>>35736494
eat more
>>
>>35736535
Read the sticky and do something like SS or SL
>>
>>35736239
Sounds like a pinched nerve.
Take an ice bath, srs. Just get in and stay there for two minutes. HOLD IT OUT.
If the pain persists then see a muscle doctor, cant remember the name in english but they are trained in handling damaged muscles or anything related to hampering movement.
>>
What does 1/2/3/4 plate mean?
>>
>>35736465
Are those in pounds or kg? How long have you been lifting? How much do you weigh and what's your height at the moment? How long have you been cutting?

You might need to increase your Calories to maintenance and recomp for a bit if you want to keep gaining strength. With the increase in cardio you're going to have to increase Calories anyway. If you're a female with those lifts in lbs, switch to the Texas Method.
>>
>>35736589
number of plates on either side of the bar for OHP/bench/squat/deadlift. Memes aside, you include the bar in the weight calculation. 1 plate = a 45 plate on either side plus the 45 lb bar. And so on for the others
>>
>>35736589
OHP/Bench press/squats/deadlift

Numbers of plates (20 kg or 45 pounds) on each side
>>
>>35736589
Breakfast is 1 plate, lunch 2 plate etc.
>>
>>35736200
Yup. 135 is usually doable for most people off the bat. You can start with less if you have the appropriate sized bumper plates.

>>35736235
The most important thing aside from calories is protein intake. As long as you aren't doing ridiculously low amounts of fat or carbs, you probably don't need to track them as strictly.

>>35736316
Any decently balanced split will work fine. I'm a fan of upper/lower splits like Lyle McDonald's generic bulking routine or PHUL.

>>35736506
There's more it than that. Total volume, intensity, frequency, etc. all play a part.

>>35736589
Number of plates on each side of the bar for ohp/bench/squat/dead 1rm.
>>
>>35736599
lbs. Couple of months. 220, 5'10.5, down from like 350....so "cutting"/weight loss/lifestyle change has been going on since last October, but didn't start lifting til May, and it was sporadic, and didn't really get into it to the point where I went err other day without fail til this past December.
>>
>>35736589
It's the geometry. 1/2/3/4 plates have 1 axis, two faces, three dimensions and four chans.
>>
>>35736635
Jesus Christ I just read what I wrote back then. Fucking autocorrect. Thanks tho, I'll look into that and start practicing at the gym.
>>
>>35735002
Even though a proper barbell routine would be far more effective you can get some otter/'athletic teenager' gains from a bodyweight routine.

The problem with CC is that the rep ranges are craaazy. If you want to do bw training as transitional thing (for a year or so) until you have the means or money to join a gym I would advice you to check out the basic routine of startbodyweight.com. I think it's better balanced than CC.
If, for whatever reason, you want to stick with bw training for the long run go to asp search the bodyweight thread and into Foundations and/or Overcoming Gravity.
>>
If I were to theoretically eat all my daily calories in 2 hours, would it be any different than eating the same amount gradually throughout the day?
>>
>>35736687
No. You absorb the most amount of calories into your muscles if you eat later in the day.
>>
Any martial friends here? How do I improve my hi kicks? I know that sole flexibility is not enough for a proper kick and that you need strenght for fully controled motion. Does some sorta static exercise sound like a good idea?
>>
>>35736577
Thanks, I'll try it.

Pinched nerve makes sense, I just did some In The Groove (roommate has a full arcade cabinet) and using the support bar gave me no discomfort at all even if I was moving in various ways and supporting my weight with my arms in ways that undoubtedly require a lot of the scapula muscles.
>>
>>35736495
>so front squat on one day? stiff legged on another?
Yeah, if you want. Your variations will depend on your weaknesses. You could do heavy low bar and stiff leg on one day, then second day do front squats and heavy conventional deads. Personally I like to pair heavy squats/deads on the same day (hard to get used to but doing it all at once gives you a rest leaving the other day for lighter variations), but some people prefer to split it up. Depends on what you'd like to do, either way you can make gains.

>>35736519
What are you talking about? How is DUP related to doing nothing? There's a lot of science backing it up but if that's not how you'd like to train, then don't train that way, lol.
>>
For my lin of work I've enough raw strength to complete a task relatively easier. Gaining more strength won't help a huge amount. But my endurance is lacking. Is there a fairly standard routine that could help with muscular endurance? I've got a bar, weights, rack, Dumbbells and a kettlebell.

Specifically, my arms are what dies during work. I might be carrying 30 kgs in one hand for a kilometre whilst stopping to lift it above my head every 5 m to hit a post in. Shit like that.
>>
>>35736637
Wow, that's some insane progress, great work dude! You could probably just stick with SS and try to improve every second week, or alternatively consider upping your Calories to maintenance for a while and see if you can continue progressing every week. Another option is to maintain your lifts and keep cutting. Maybe try adding in some single leg/dumbbell accessory movements if you have certain weak points that need to be brought up.
Either way as you add in more cardio, you'll need to increase what you're eating.
>>
File: waifu marg.png (117 KB, 267x325) Image search: [Google]
waifu marg.png
117 KB, 267x325
>>35736635
>The most important thing aside from calories is protein intake. As long as you aren't doing ridiculously low amounts of fat or carbs, you probably don't need to track them as strictly.

I eat quite a bit of protein. I eat a packet of bacon a week, plenty of eggs, grass fed beef and chicken. I like butter and use it a lot. I was at the gym today and I'm doing okay, but I feel like I'm stalling. I also feel quite thin and gangly, but that could be some body dysmorphia kicking in.
>>
>>35736740
Strongman training.
>>
>>35736807
Shit, that might be pretty fun as well as helpful. I definitely lift a lot of odd shaped items. 100kg role of ring lock fence is definitely harder to lift than 150kg deadlift.

My initial thoughts were to rock the kettlebell and sledgehammer, as I use a sledgehammer a lot, mostly one handed tho, and am constantly swinging weight around. Might incorporate that into some strongman styled things for a bit of fun.
>>
Have lost 125 pounds over approx. one year, have not been able to acquire a gym membership.

Getting skinny and lean, but missing any arm mass.
How do I develop my arms through home workouts?
>>
Does the speed of a rep matter ?
Is there a difference between doing a set as slow as possible / as fast as possible compared to doing it in a controlled motion ?

Rippletits says you should breathe in and do as many reps as comfortable when benching. I got taught to take a breath every rep, whats the difference ?
>>
>>35736852
diamond pushups/dips on a low table for triceps. Finding a pullup bar would be an obvious thing for most of your upper body as well
>>
File: dylan werner.jpg (185 KB, 667x454) Image search: [Google]
dylan werner.jpg
185 KB, 667x454
>>35736852
http://www.startbodyweight.com

And look at doing yoga with inversions.
>>
>>35736702
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=256

https://www.onnit.com/academy/core-strength-for-kickboxers-beyond-the-abdominals/

Grapplers benefit more efficiently from general weightlifting so it's not as tricky.

>>35736890
The amount of time a muscle spends under tension matters. This is a function of exercise volume and rep speed.

For hypertrophy you'll want controlled, slower movement. Not slow, just slower than explosive, which is what you'll want for better transition onto many sports.
>>
how do i stop the cravings /fit/
i had a baconator combo after not eating all day (already a bad move i know) and then got 2 bags of dem bbq chips and wolfed them down
>mfw almost 4000 calories
>>
>>35736890
I'm going to assume you're still at a fairly easy weight if multiple reps and pushing for speed are possible for you.

Breathing every rep comes more into play when they're real grinders, and always trying to do whole sets with held breath can give you a bad habit. That being said, there's nothing wrong with actually doing it as long as you aren't getting lightheaded.

Just perform reps with a controlled speed, going too slow would make them more difficult than they should be, and too fast would cause form breakdown.
>>
>>35736795
You're probably fine then if you're hitting your calorie goals. Macro tracking doesn't have to be obsessive, it's just helpful for hitting certain goals.

>>35736890
Purposefully going as slow or as fast as possible isn't really helpful. For most folks, a controlled descent and an explosive push on bench should work fine. Work at a comfortable tempo.

Breathing is a bit of a personal preference. Breathing between reps is fine. Holding your breath during a rep can be useful if you're used to using Valsalva on heavy compounds.
>>
>>35736790
th-thanks /fit/

memes aside, I appreciate the advice. I'll see how running on off days makes me feel and decide my game plan from there, will probably end up favoring weight loss over gainz, as I hear boot camp is gainz auschwitz anyways.

Spend the next 5 months cutting/slight recomping, hopefully end up around 170-190 after boot camp, then bulk hard and slay foreign puss while I'm a sailor in the Navy.

It'll be fun. A lot more fun than the previous 21 years of existance.

Feels hopeful man.
>>
>>35736896
I've actually mentioned a pullup bar twice in threads of the past. I was told it would not help me as far as gaining mass and detailed (since i have zero detail) in my arms. Will have to lok into it, I honestly dont know how well it can benefit me honestly.

>>35736898
Thank you, friend.
>>
>>35736839
It definitely is, transfers extremely well into the squat and deadlift as well. Good luck anon.
>>
>>35736940
Huge mass on your arms isn't going to come, no. But by the time you can bang out 15 strict pullups and 15 strict chinups you're going to have put some size on your lats and biceps. Rear delts as well
>>
>>35736946
Cheers buddy.
>>
Spinlock or Screwlock /fit/?
>>
>>35736922

>>35736933
>I'm going to assume you're still at a fairly easy weight if multiple reps and pushing for speed are possible for you.

I guess that might be true with my current stats, it's more that others in the gym are always hassling me that I'm too slow and that if you work faster your muscles work harder = more gains.
As I'm somewhat of a newb, I dont argue with them for risking they might be right, but it just sounds retarded and looking at them lifting, while most of them push higher weights than I do the form is pretty bad (bar not touching shirt/chest, kipping on pullups, swinging back&forth curling, etc).

>>35736934
>Valsalva

please explain, I've no idea what that is

thanks@all3 for answers
>>
>>35736963
Huge mass will never be my end goal. But If you look at me, I would like you to see I have muscle. Not flabby arms. But with this I could only benefit from I imagine.

Thank you again, going to buy one tonight now. I'm stoked.
>>
>>35736890
I was taught every time you breathe out with a heavy weight on your back, you lose tightness. Makes sense. It's like if you blow up a balloon, put a heavy weight on it or compress it, let some air out then expect it to blow up the same way. It's just not going to.

>>35736933
You shouldn't get that dizzy/lightheaded if you're performing the valsalva manoeuvre correctly. Breathing into your chest too much can cause you to become dizzy but if you breathe deeply into your diaphragm, it won't be that much of an issue.
>>
>>35737012
If you know their advice is bad, smile and nod. Do what you know is right.

Valsalva is a breathing method for increasing intra abdominal pressure, aka a way to tighten your core and brace your spine. It's fine by forced exhalation against a closed glottis. Google can probably give you an easy tutorial to practice.
>>
>>35732831
Rowing machine can be tricky however, pretty easy to fuck yourself up if you do it wrong... so learn the technique... also they're not fun, they're torture machines! Designed by Satan to make you give EVERYTHING you have
>>
Is there some relationship between being fat (completely untrained) and strong?

I haven't lifted any weights for 6 years. Did a bench press session today and was fairly pleased with it. Don't know if because fat or stronk.
>>
>>35736963
>>35736940
While you are all on pull up bars.

If I was to do wide grips, and chin ups every morning and till fail again at night how should I schedule a routine for my weekly? Right now I can do 3 sets of five till fail. But how many days should I rest? And how much in b/t>
>>
>>35737108
Being fat means your body naturally creates additional muscle to lug your fat ass around.

Don't get too proud of yourself, if you actually wanna stick with it and become a sick cunt, you're going to lose muscle regardless of what you do, cause that's what happens when you drop a bunch of weight.
>>
As a former fatty it seems I have way bigger swings in water retention after a high sodium meal than a naturally lean person, actually making me look fat again. Is this something that normalizes after some time (possibly because of skin shrinking more?) or do I have to get even leaner to prevent this?
>>
File: 1332552464148.png (4 KB, 349x304) Image search: [Google]
1332552464148.png
4 KB, 349x304
Do I even need a rest day?

Since I started bulking after my cut it seems like I'm good to go doing push/pull alternating days with no days off.

Is there a downside to this when getting adequate sleep and calories?
>>
>>35737172
Former deathfat(350) to normalfat(220) here, same shit happens to me, especially in the face. I try to offset bloating by drinking shitloads of water err day.

No idea if it'll normalize, but dear god I hope so.
>>
>>35737172
If this is actually the case then your kidneys are damaged
>>
Is cannibalising a vegan irony or just cannibalism?
>>
>>35737197
If you're moving decent amounts of weight, you'll need some rest time to continue progressing and recovering.

>>35737220
Probably tastes disgusting.
>>
>>35737220
por que no los dos?
>>
>>35737172
>>35737203
You guys are probably just having low sodium most of the time, then any higher amount puts your water weight back to where it normally is. Sure if I cut all sodium out for a few days I'd be dry and lean as fuck, but that's not really how lean I actually am.
>>
Holy shit lads just did one fucking glute stretch and my hip pain is gone ahahahahahaahha
>>
File: 20160123_192924.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160123_192924.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
What do you think /fit/ ?
>>
>>35737311
bin that garbage
>>
>>35737311
Sweetened condensed milk plus scoops
>>
How to improve squat form?

My squats are terribly off. Only doing body weight squats, but still terrible.

My feet never feel like they are in the right position. When I do the squat it feels like my body has to push my legs/knees out of the way. If I put my feet out further to avoid this, I no longer have the strength/balance to keep myself upright once I get down there.

After doing a few, my feet try to come off the ground/refuse to keep solid contact with the ground. My feet and knees rotate outward under stress after a set or two.

I know due to my inactivity/weight I have some mobility issues, but holy shit I never expected it was this bad. Advice?
>>
>>35737311
Might as well use it up if you already have it. I wouldn't bother buying it again though.
>>
>>35736934
>You're probably fine then if you're hitting your calorie goals. Macro tracking doesn't have to be obsessive, it's just helpful for hitting certain goals.
Thanks. I need to buck up and start tracking my calories again then.
>>
>>35737311

Bro, just get some whole milk and nut butter (peanut or soy if allergy) and make your normal protein with that. $8 for those, versus $30 for a tub of that powder.
>>
>>35737341
Practice, practice, practice. Learning the form on squat is usually the hardest step for people who have never squatted before. It's also a great exercise for learning just where your tightness/flexibility issues are.

Foot angle and stance width are going to be individual from person to person. A rough place to start is feet pointed slightly outwards, standing just outside shoulder width.

Start stretching in your off time too.
>>
Am I not cutting hard enough if I'm not feeling it hard?

I did a successful mini cut last year going down about 10lb testing out some intermittant fasting.

This time I'm just trying to keep calories low, but I'm not really feeling it -that- much. I don't eat much more than 200/300 cal (broccoli + cheddar soup) until dinner time, but I feel totally satiated after two scoops of proton shake (240 cal) and a 440 calorie meal. I'm a manlet, but shouldn't I be feeling like shit? Everything but the broccoli soup was packaged shit, so I'm pretty sure my calorie count is pretty accurate.
>>
File: sweetie pie.jpg (124 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
sweetie pie.jpg
124 KB, 960x960
>>35737389
Sorry, me again. How many calories would I need if I lift weights 5 days a week for an hour with a moderately light office job? F, 5'6", 120lb. I used a half dozen calorie calculator sites and it ranges from 1150 to 2306 calories a day. TDEECalculator.net has 1,962. Why are they so different? I thought calorie calculators were based on math?
>>
I recently got glandular fever meaning a swollen spleen. I've been advised to avoid "heavy lifting" so what do I have to change (doing SS) to avoid destroying my organs?
>>
>>35732727
How important are rest days? Iv lifted the last 5 days and not going to the gym today is driving me nuts. I hear recovory is just as important tho.
>>
File: 1429412537390.png (260 KB, 803x790) Image search: [Google]
1429412537390.png
260 KB, 803x790
Hey /fit/ a few food related questions

How many grams of chicken tits should I be eating per day while bulking? How much do you eat?

And how do you cook your sweet potato?
>>
>>35737674
1. Depends on your macros READ THE STICKY
2. Depends on your macros READ THE STICKY
3. Baked with some olive oil
>>
>>35734246
this, i my knee got fucekd up somehow and cycling helped a lot with building upt he stabilzing muscles and not being too hard on it
>>
File: 1446562516078.gif (1003 KB, 500x310) Image search: [Google]
1446562516078.gif
1003 KB, 500x310
>>35737689
>READ THE STICKY
no :^)

but seriously top meet my protien target for a day along with other stuff I eat, I don't even need to eat more then 150g of it, but I think thats a little light so I'm just making sure.
>>
>>35732727
Can I get bigger arms by just doing curls in my spare time?
>>
>>35737730
150 g seems low to me too. Along with all the non meat protein sources I've eaten today (8 slices of bread and a cup of milk) I also had a can of sardines, 240 grams of beef and 75 grams of chicken. My total protein is 150 grams on the dot. What other stuff is contributing so much protein? Myfitnesspal could be wrong on my end though
>>
>>35732981

5g/day at any time. Loading is a myth and the extra will just be pissed away.
>>
>>35732981
T W O S C O O P S
>>
>>35733163

if it's a proper 7ft olympic bar, which I hope it would be at any gym, it'll be 20kg.
>>
>>35733007
>5'9

never
>>
File: danmarkbreh.png (12 KB, 2000x1514) Image search: [Google]
danmarkbreh.png
12 KB, 2000x1514
>>35732727
Any Scandinavia bros here? May be applying for a masters program in Denmark. Do Scandinavians even lift? Will I be able to find a gym in populated areas?
>>
This is easily gonna be the worst question in the thread but oh well, here goes.

How awful do most protein shakes taste?
>>
>>35737341
greatest single piece of advice i have gotten was to keep all my weight on my heels. Keep that in mind through your squat and that alone should help a lot with your form. keep your back straight and stretch.
>>
I've just started working out a little bit and why the fuck am I so horny? Usually I fap every 2 days so I can have a good fap, but now I feel like I can have a nice wank every day.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 33

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.