[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: tumblr_lvtmnhjKoa1qa6j5no1_400.jpg (15 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lvtmnhjKoa1qa6j5no1_400.jpg
15 KB, 250x333
Okay so I was borderline triggered today in my World Problems class. We were talking about issues and whether it's a social problem or personal problem. They marked obesity as a social problem claiming that in "today's day and age" healthy foods are hard to come by and are expensive. They also went on and said that no one has time to do any physical activities anymore.

Can anyone here give some reasons why it's a personal problem and that those statements aren't entirely true.

Fit related because we're talking about healthy food and lifestyles
>>
When you Have to make it yourself it is hard to come by I guess. I wish a fast food joint sold chicken breast with quinoa and Greek yogurt. Unfortunately, I have to make that myself. Obiesity has to do with laziness which is a social problem "in this day and age." They don't have the time to be healthy because they don't want to devote time to that, which is their personal choice.
>>
>>35705148
>They marked obesity as a social problem claiming that in "today's day and age" healthy foods are hard to come by and are expensive. They also went on and said that no one has time to do any physical activities anymore.

It's not a question of healthy or unhealthy foods. Nobody lost weight at Dachau because of an abundance of healthy food. It's a question of whether or not you're eating too many calories. Eat less and you'll be skinny.

How much does oatmeal cost? How much do frozen veggies cost? How much does raw chicken breast cost? In the US, next to nothing. Chicken is far, far more expensive in Europe and Canada, yet they have much skinnier populations. So Americans have no excuse. Home cooking is cheaper than eating out.

So why are Americans fat? Because they're too lazy to prepare healthy, affordable meals at home. They'd rather swing by a McD's drive-thru. They're also too lazy to exercise; they can't even be bothered to walk.
>>
>>35705148
Is your professor fat?
>>
Faith in humanity lost.
>>
its a personal problem, if you don’t have time to exercise then eat less,
if you take less time to eat then you will have more time to exercise, its simple maths.

and if they had the correct mentality to begin with
they wouldn’t have to exercise a lot because they would be a healthy weight,
they would just have to do a moderate amount
(around 2hrs a week should be enough with the right diet to stay moderately healthy)

if I can work out every day whilst working 2 full time jobs and socializing then they can, its just lazy.
>>
Personal problem because they don't want to do it. I have lost 40 lbs and need to lose another 40. I know exactly why I got fat. Bad diet & sedentary life. Losing the first 40 lbs...

Meal prep on Sunday, 10 meals (my breakfast/lunch for the week) I spend about 2.5-3 hours total, most of that time is not even active time.
3x1 hour walks a week.
-----------
Total time 6 hours in a week. There is 148 hours in a week, you sleep 56 of them, lets say you work 40 of them, that leaves 72 hours to find 6.

Since losing the 40 lbs i've stepped up what I do..Meal prep the same, I now do 1 hour, 3x weight lifting, with 20 minute walks afterwards and 45 minute jogs on non-workout days.
-----
Total time w/ Meal Prep 9 1/2 hours.

If you want it, you can find the 10 hours to do it. Or you can spend only 1-2 hours on excuses.
>>
>>35705148

>world problems class

What sort of mickey mouse type nonsense is this? Do you go to a special school?
>>
>>35705667
No but she's a feminist that says the patriarchy is controlling the United States
>>
>>35706072
It's more or less a sociologist class
>>
>>35705148
I'm obese, I've been fit, I've been fat, I've been skinny.

What's your argument here? In our society today, your average person wakes up at 6am, gets to work at 9am, gets home at 7pm, has already eaten breakfast and lunch on the run to work (fast food, most likely) and has picked up dinner on the way home. They get home and they either cook dinner for their kids or are otherwise preoccupied. They sit down and it's 9pm and they're ready to go to sleep. Repeat ad nauseam.

"Cheap", Quick, Tasty food is EVERYWHERE in our Western bubble. It's SO easy to indulge your brain in all of the delicacies around you, and most of the time people are never brought up to respect food and learn about nutrition and diet. They just eat when they feel like it and we get the trends we have today.

People are uneducated, weak, and surrounded by temptation without fully understanding the consequences for partaking in the fruit.

Are they to blame? Or are their parents and their culture to blame?
>>
>>35705148
>World Problems class
Sounds problematic
>>
>>35706731
>soft science for the arts student 101
>>
>>35706694
Suck her cock for that A plus grade, breh. Film it and sell it online for revenge after graduation.
>>
>>35706694
And yet the all-powerful patriarchy didn't stop her obtaining a teaching post and the privilege of indoctinating students with whatever shit she pleases.
>>
It's both. Companies will produce all this bullshit garbage processed foods, promising that it qualifies as actual food. Anyone that is too trusting of the industry is likely to be swept, you have to learn for yourself.
>>
It not that healthy food is hard to come by, it's the huge amounts of empty calories people eat without even realizing.
>>
>>35705148
I would have to agree that it is a social problem. Many do not know how to cook because they weren't taught by their parents. Even school lunches are terrible. What they do know how to cook is calorically dense foods like cheese pasta and cheese sandwich and cow sandwich. That and unhealthy, calorically dense foods are very very easy to find in stores and restaurants.

It's easy to say, "well I learned how to cook" or "I find healthy options" but what actually makes something a social problem? It is extraordinarily easy and convenient to eat grossly processed, dense foods. These foods take up enormous space in stores, restaurants, and ad space. It is a part of our culture. Do the Japanese just have more will power than us? And the Chinese and Africans? No. It's a cultural issue.
>>
>>35706834
I know... Why do they only care about trivial issues? Why don't they ever put there cause towards actual injustice that occurs in 3rd world countries?
>>
>>35706819
I didn't want to take it. It just happened
>>
>>35706787

There's truth to this. It wasn't so bad when
a mother could stay at home to raise the kids, prepare meals, and tend to domestic duties in general. But capitalism has subjugated both sexes into wage slavery, making it economically impractical, if not impossible, to have single-income households. Obesity, stress, job insecurity, lack of access to education and health care, wage stagnation, a corrupt political system, etc...these are all logical consequences of our economic model.

I feel bad for most Americans. They were born into a shitty system, and now have even been deprived of the time and resources to even address the issues, forget about correcting them.
>>
>>35706819
> implying getting the easy "A" in a soft class doesn't give you gpa gains
> implying they don't make the difference between being accepted into an engineering honor society or not

If you don't think engineering is hard and competitive, then fine, you don't need this trick. But for those of us who know engineering is hard, but still want to compete, soft electives are the way to go. And if you know engineering is hard, but you have too much pride to suck it up, then congrats your an idiot, enjoy being constantly passed up by people who you think are dumber than you
>>
>>35706963
I partially agree with this but once someone realizes it why dont they try change instead of blaming society?
>>
>>35707075
Eh? You blame capitalism for all this? Explain your reasoning to me
>>
File: stevia-plant-500x500.jpg (91 KB, 499x375) Image search: [Google]
stevia-plant-500x500.jpg
91 KB, 499x375
>>35705546
Fast food is some 2-5x more expensive, and with Amazon, going to the story is only necessary for dairy and frozen products. Food is as simple as tossing some stuff in a blender.

>>35705610
>Americans
Dude, global obesity is at 30%. America's is only 35%. Please stop with the memes.
>>
>>35707437
>America's obesity is only 35%
>Acting as though that number isn't a serious cause for concern

Murican detected
>>
>>35707470
His point was that it's only 5% aboveglobal average. The pacific is more like 50-60% obese for comparison.
>>
>>35705148
>They also went on and said that no one has time to do any physical activities anymore.
yeah sure but they have the time to bingewatch game of thrones on netflix lmao

>b-b-but im tired when i get home from work sitting on my ass all day, i deserve to rest
>>
There is no excuse, internet has made everything reachable, everything is literally one google search away.

Don't know how to cook and Workout? Youtube tutorials, you can learn how to cook rice, vegetables and any kind of meat with 5 minute tutorials from all sorts of people. From normal housewives to famous chefs.

Wanna learn a routine to do at home? How to start running and nutrition? There are millions of fitness youtubers, from bodybuilders, nutritionists, runners, yoga teachers and the list goes on. You can literally get any kind of information you want by just typing it out.

You don't even need to read and study if you don't want. You can have a professional to literally say everything to you as many times you want, you can pause and go back. Do it again a million times.

People are shit. I know because I used to be like that, I had an excuse for everything. I changed my ways, anyone else can do the same.
>>
>>35706787
I've got all the same environmental conditions they do. I guess maybe it's a difference because my parents raised me healthy, but by the time you hit your early 20s that excuse doesn't cut it
>>
>>35706787
Society grows up in PE. If they can't tell that they're gaining weight, they have other problems than habituation.
>>
>>35705148
It's mostly personal but there is a social element. Obesity wasn't really a thing till the late 50s.
>>
>>35707437
HAHAHAHA. You are funny.
America counts obese as BMI 35 and above.
The rest of the world uses 30. Also america is like 67% overweight. With about 38% obese. Thing about that for a second.
If they didn't BS their stats they would have more obese.
>>
>>35708768
>here's muh source
>[]
>>
>>35708768
>America counts obese as BMI 35 and above.
>>35708768
american here, BMI of 35 or more is type 2 obese.

30 or more is obese. 40 or more is morbidly obese...

i was type II obese.. my doctor told me so.. i was at 35.6 (25.8 currently)
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.