[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone had Patellar Tendonitis (aka Jumpers Knee)? I've
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: ff.jpg (76 KB, 1204x800) Image search: [Google]
ff.jpg
76 KB, 1204x800
Has anyone had Patellar Tendonitis (aka Jumpers Knee)? I've been playing basketball, squatting, dead lifting, and doing plyometrics a lot recently. The pain is right below my knee cap, I'm not sure if I actually have it, I just assuming from what I read online.

my knee only hurts the slightest bit. Anyone else ever have this? How long did it take to heal?
>>
>>35699096
Back in september I got light patellar tendonitis and I just continued squatting 3pl8.
It got really shitty after a while and I couldnt even do bodyweight squats until january
>>
>>35699304
did you have to get surgery?
>>
>>35699325
no, it went away by itself.
I just stopped training my legs for 4 months and did the RICE method (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevation) if it hurt really bad some days.
Same thing when I get elbow/shoulder tendonitis. I just let it recover and ice it until it doesnt hurt anymore
>>
>>35699096
Yeah man, my GF actually has it and I've pretty much fixed it for her.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYMV0salw8
here ya go man, buy the bands and do it.
Works wonders. I have her do it when she wakes up and before and after she trains, and before she goes to sleep, and her pain is almost gone after about a week.
>>
>>35699096
It won't heal just by itself.

When I had it I had to back off my squats a bit and have a few session with a physio to massage out my quads as well as doing all the other exercises they recommend.

It doesn't take too long to heal if you get it sorted early
>>
>>35699304
>just continued squatting
if you have tendonitis you need to let it rest and do rehab
i'm a runner and have had patellar, peroneal, quadriceps and achilles tendonitis/tendonosis
just rest
>>
>>35699359
>>35699096
See my post.
Also fix your form when you squat, I'm willing to bet you track forward with your knees.
>>
>>35699374
Yeah, I know now. Thanks though m8
>>
>>35699096
Ive got it. Pretty much given up on squatting. Tried a lot of the bs recommended on livestrong and other shit sites and hasnt worked. Generally doesnt bother me unless I run a ton ie >20 miles per week
>>
>>35699359
Thanks I'll get some tomorrow.

>>35699363
It really does even hurt, its more like a soreness. Do you think it could go away within a week? I don't really want to lay off the training since I have a scholarship to play ball nextyear.
>>
>>35699383
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's from jumping. Since I jump off my left leg 90% of the time, and my other knee is fine.
>>
>>35699455
do you put ice on it regularly? do you do any rehab exercises right now?
>>
>>35699455
Then you are tracking forward when you land, its totally possible its from jumping.
Look up some crossfit videos on burpees, I know that sounds gay, but obviously its a common problem in xfit, so they do have some decent videos on how to jump and land properly.

Do the band stuff, youll notice a difference after 1 session.
Take NSAIDS,
>>35699480
Ice wont do that much, ice isn't really that helpful for longer term inflammation, it can actually be counter productive if you are trying to break apart tissue.
>>
>>35699480
>>35699508

I only started feeling the soreness, two days ago.thought I had maybe just banged it without noticing or something because it hurt like a bruise. and it only hurts when I'm playing basketball. Doesn't hurt at all when I'm squatting. So I haven't done any rehab exercises yet because I only realized tonight that something might actually be wrong and not just a bruise. Do I need a prescription for NSAIDS, and is it expensive? I'm in Canada btw, but I don't know much about what is free and what costs money here. I don't even know where to go because I havent been to a doctor in 8+years.
>>
>>35699096
Dude in high school had it. He had to wear this band around his knee woth applied pressure to the tendon
>>
>>35699644
how long did you have it?
>>
>>35699677
From year 10 until we graduated. We weren't particularly friendly so dunno about his improvement or not after.
>>
>>35699747
shieeeet
>>
>>35699620
no man, ibuprofen is an nsaid.
You can get stronger prescription ones but ibuprofen is fine. Buy the floss bands, do that. They are cheap.
Be proactive with your injury. Go on youtube, look up Patella Tendonitis correction or something, watch kelly staretts videos, solve your shit man.
>>
File: 1434682977466.gif (2 MB, 476x357) Image search: [Google]
1434682977466.gif
2 MB, 476x357
I've had this, OP my best advice is stretch/foam roll your hamstrings. I went off leg work for about to weeks while working only on leg mobility instead, focusing on hamstrings, someone from PLG said it can often be brought on from tight hamstrings, especially in tall people. My knee pain is almost completely gone now and I'm back to normal leg work
>>
>>35699815
Oh dope, thanks for the tips man. Training and working out is basically my life, and I want to get back to practicing ASAP so I'll be as proactive as possible.
>>35699844
I'm 6'4 so it makes sense. Damn so it's probably brought on from we not really warming up that well, usually just stretch for a minute. Two weeks isn't too bad, how bad was your pain? it basically just feels like a bruise for me.
>>
>>35699964
Yeah I understand that man. You need to treat injuries like training. The same way you would attack an issue with your squat or whatever, do the work outside the gym and treat prehab and rehab like training.
>>
>>35699983
yea exactly. you have to put 100% into everything you do if you ever want to make it.
>>
>>35699096
got mine from being coming back to squats after taking some time off. my flexibility was shit.

start stretching those quads and foam rolling. No more leg training for at least a month if not 2. When you start training again start really low and increase very gradually. stop if you feel any pain.

The longer you rest for initially the faster it will go away. I started squatting again too quickly, got to 80kg then had to stop again. wasted time
>>
>>35699844
I can 2nd this.

I went to my PT (who knows his shit, dude is one of the main PTs for the Mariners), and he gave me similar advice. Stretching out that quad/hammy, stretching the fuck out of my calves, etc.

basically, my knee was the victim caught in between two sets of very strong muscle groups.

so, while you're working on stretching for a few weeks, avoid any deep crouching or high impact stuff (running on pavement, jumping, etc).

this is one of those injuries that doesn't just go away; you have to be proactive with PT to fix it, then you have to continue stretching and be concious of it to prevent any future stressing.
>>
>>35701079
yep. same
>>
>>35699096
Mobilize and stretch your quads and glutes like crazy and it's better. Your welcome.
>bonus points exercise the dorsi flexion of the ankle
>>
If all else fails you can always go to a chiropractor that specializes is sports injuries. My chiropractor helped a lot with my reoccurring runners knee, after my general doctor did nothing.
>>
>>35702178
Same here, before the stretching I stopped squatting/doing most quad work for about 2 months and the pain went away, then as soon as I started squatting again it came back. You HAVE to stretch. on the plus side having this probably means you have good quads/hams, and you're tall, so good on ya.
>>
Had it for like 10 years, had to quit running and almost stopped playing icehockey. It got better once i started lifting. I did some shitty exercises that a physio "prescribed" to me telling me it was the same exercises that cured zlatans "jumper knee". Which included a lot of resistance training, with "negative" movements. Did that for 3 months and saw no results.
So i just let it be and started swimming for carido. Now, 9 years later i only notice it if i jump or run for a longer period of time.
If anyone was able to fix it, pls tell me, but im pretty sure i fucked it up going this long without fixing it
>>
>>35699096
This did the trick for me:
800mg Ibu 3 times day
no running
only light squatting
eccentric training of leg extensor
a lot of stretching lower body
a lot of foam rolling
>>
>>35699359
how the fuck does that work? It that some sort of sorcery? Tendonitis is aggravated/inflamed tendons from overwork and they need time to recover. What the fuck does this do exactly?
>>
>>35705276
It distills tissue. It compresses and then pulls it apart, it's like a very targeted, effective massage.
You do know who kelly starrett is right?
>>
>>35705298
>You do know who kelly starrett is right?
Some crossfit champion
>>
>>35705327
Nah man, he has a phd in biomechanics, wrote becoming a supple leopard, probably the most highly regarded book about mobility and prehab/rehab in the SC world.
Highly respected and works with all the elite powerlifters and yes is very popular in the crossfit community because surprise, they tend to fuck their shit up a lot.
>>
>>35699096
There is a pressure band you can wear right underneath your knee cap, helped me when i ran cross country in highschool
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.