[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Someone program dips, curls, calf workouts, and rows and face
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 1451794442887.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1451794442887.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
Someone program dips, curls, calf workouts, and rows and face pulls into SS for me pls
>>
A:
squat
bench
DL
+rows
+curls
+calf work

B:
squat
ohp
power cleans
chins
+dips
+face pulls
+calf work
>>
A:
squat
bench
DL
+dips
+face pulls
+calf work
B:
squat
ohp
power cleans
chins
+rows
+curls
+calf work
>>
File: SS.png (975 KB, 3336x1952) Image search: [Google]
SS.png
975 KB, 3336x1952
>>35694032
second that
>>
>>35694053
eh i wouldnt clean then chin then row. move some upper back work to A
>>
>>35694032
Cool beans. Thanks
>>
>>35694032
oh and for the dips and rows do 5x5 or 3xf or whatever.leave a few reps room though especially if you start feeling like youre not recovering well enough. face pulls and calves preferably higher reps like 3-5x10-20 reps, curls p much whatever you want. i recommend trying myoreps for the dips and curls when you exhaust other methods.
>>35694053
dips generally use more of the same musculature as benching than ohp so it makes more sense to do it after ohp.depends on how you do it though but since OHPing is easier to recover from anyway, id put dips on ohp day. face pulls doesnt really matter, id just pair them with chins rather than rows. rows would be better on the squat day since its a bit of a DL accessory but then youd have to chin on bench day which i think isnt as good as chinning with ohp as chins use some pecs. curls on the day with rows since they use less biceps than chins
>>
This thread is relevant to my interests, what day should shrugs be included? What about pushups, are they even necessary if I'm doing chins and dips?
>>
>>35694232
Pushup aren't necessary bc you're benching and dipping
>>
>>35694232
pushups are definitely not necessary and shrugs aren't super important but if you want you could do them in the power clean workout, just cause a heavy deadlift would leave you pretty tired for the shrugs
>>
>>35694270
>>35694287
Ty bros
>>
this thread is retarded.

when will people learn that fucking with programs is a bad idea. dudes with 1-2 years of lifting experience have no place fucking with a well established program to fit the needs of the OP who wants to add not one not two but five exercises into a strength routine.

OP, do SS properly and add the accessory exercises rippetoe recommends as planned. substitute power cleans for pendlay rows. forget face pulls, deads and rows are enough for your upper back. forget calves for now.
>>
>>35694355
Why not calves? If I do some calf raises before the weekend surely I would have time to recover and it wouldn't effect the routine
>>
>>35694355
>do SS properly and add the accessory exercises rippetoe recommends as planned
>substitute power cleans for pendlay rows
oh the irony

chins >>>>>>> rows for upper back if you can only do one exercise. i agree, i wouldnt do calves and face pulls either but that stuff isnt heavy enough to harm anything either, really. but the dips and curls are fucking important, i did SS past 1/2/3/4 for reps and i regret not doing more arm work. if they start being a problem, its not that hard to start leaving more reps room or something
>>
>>35693987
It literally doesn't matter. Put them anywhere.
>>
File: weighted dips.jpg (50 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
weighted dips.jpg
50 KB, 640x480
>>35693987
>weighted dips
>>
>>35694462
it does matter. not a lot, but if you can do things even 1% more optimally, why wouldnt you?
>>
>>35694422
don't fuck with the program.

>>35694413
a whole host of reasons that you'll know if you read practical programming and SS and which i don't have time to condense here.

>>35694462
disregard everything this guy says, he doesn't know what he is talking about
>>
>>35694488
>1% more optimally
It's SS.

It does. Not. Matter.
>>
>>35694525
again, disregard everything this guy says.
>>
>>35694523
>don't fuck with the program.
spoken like someone who hasn't done it. i did it by the book and i regret doing it that way. do fuck with the program. not a lot, but a couple of sets of chins and curls a week wont be a problem.
>>35694525
why wouldnt it matter?
>>35694546
disregard everything this guy says.
>>
>>35694523
>doesn't know what he is talking about
Beginner lifter.
Tiny muscles with high recovery rate.

You could do them every lifting day. Seriously.
>>
OP, who are you gonna believe? me, who says to do what it says in the book, the tried and true strength routine that makes newbs strong very quickly, or >>35694553 who seems interested in doing the opposite of that?

ripptetoe himself has said it is ok to add in the accessory lifts. listen to him, don't just throw them in as you like, do what he suggests. people who whine about not growing enough in the upper body on SS have probably misunderstood that SS is a STRENGTH routine and if they are interested in getting big muscles then they should be doing something else.

i'm advising you assuming that you have picked SS for strength, you know, since that's what the routine is for. others ITT seem to be coming from a bodybuilding perspective, but what they really should be saying is that if you want muscles over strength then SS is not for you.
>>
>>35694646
>misunderstood that SS is a STRENGTH routine and if they are interested in getting big muscles then they should be doing something else.
Lol.

Nice bait. You 150 lbs yet, child?
>>
File: ssleuat.png (182 KB, 757x501) Image search: [Google]
ssleuat.png
182 KB, 757x501
>>35694646
im not interested in doing the opposite of that. ive done SS and im 100% sure my strength progress would not have been diminished if added chins and curls. i know because i did them occasionally and noticed no bad side effects. what i did notice however was that after LP, my lifts were decent but my arms are still fucking 13.5".

rippetoe has never said its ok to add accessories. the only "accessory" you add is chins. pic related. and your argument is stupid since rippetoe also claims that doing SS is the best way to start bodybuilding.

sure, op, if you want to become a strong t-rex, add nothing. but if you want to have some arms with just about 0 downsides, add dips and curls.
>>
>>35694668
>bait
tell me which drug you on that makes you believe that SS is the best thing for bodybuilders?

OP would be better of doing the russian bear program from PTTP or something.
>>
>>35694693
nice strawman. no one ever said ss is the best thing for BBing. just that if you want a somewhat balanced physique while prioritizing strength gains, you should add dips and curls cause they wont hurt a thing anyway.
>>
>>35694693
>which drug you on that makes you believe that SS is the best thing for bodybuilders?
"Bodybuilders", lol. Train on a 5 day split from day 1 drug free and tell me how that goes.
>>
>>35694692
in terms of strength, rip is to be listened to.

in terms of bodybuilding, he's not.

simple.

>>35694713
I only think that OP could be doing something better (IF he even wants to bodybuild, i dunno what the fuck he wants he's abandoned thread)

>>35694718
>what is natural bodybuilding
do you believe that SS with a bunch of accessory lifts added is the best thing for aesthetics/mass? if you you probably haven't read much outside of /fit/ for info. pick up a book once in a while.
>>
>>35694789
>what is natural bodybuilding
Literally nothing. Liars and gay 4 pay. That's it.

>>35694789
>do you believe that SS with a bunch of accessory lifts added is the best thing for aesthetics/mass?
I believe that sedentary autists need an athletic base as a beginner, yes.
>>
>>35694838
>Literally nothing. Liars and gay 4 pay. That's it.
i think this speaks more words by itself than i could ever type. i will disregard your degeneracy
>>
>>35694890
>i will disregard your degeneracy
Fine.

Trust drug using beauty pageant "competitors".

I'll trust actual sports science.

Have fun with your fake tanner.
>>
>>35694355
guess who hasn't read the book....................
>>
>>35694926
i'm beginning to think i'm the only cunt here who HAS read the book.

the clue's in the title desu. OP obviously wants aesthetics/mass so SS is not right for him, he should do something else.
>>
>>35694692
>rippetoe has never said its ok to add accessories
oh look, someone else who hasn't read the book

seriously i swear /fit/ doesn't even know what SS is.. it is literally just the type of programming where you do full bod, 3 sets across of a handful of exercises. there are like 5+ different different versions of SS written out explicitly in SS and PP, all with varying accessories
>>
>>35694948
well you talked about not fucking with the program and adding the accessories rip recommends. adding the exercises op mentions is not 'fucking with the program' by any sensible definition of the program (except perhaps for the calf raises, fuck calf raises). and there are 101 different ways of adding in accessories, not just 1
>>
>>35694959
>oh look, someone else who hasn't read the book
feel free show me where tells you to add accessories _to the novice program_. the book is about basic barbell training, not just the novice program.

and i dont understand how you can say stuff like that when my pic has a quote from SS saying chins are the only ancillary exercise in the novice program.
>>
>>35694988
AND, that's exactly what i told him.

I told him to add the accessories and sub cleans for rows, leaving calf raises out like you just said and leaving face pulls out too since upper back is slammed by rows and deads.
>>
File: 1448385055570.jpg (42 KB, 720x635) Image search: [Google]
1448385055570.jpg
42 KB, 720x635
>>35695024
>upper back is slammed by rows and deads.
Lol. Sounds to brutal to possibly add small isolations. What if you die?
>>
>>35695003
well if you look in the book you can see, written down explicitly, novice programs that have ancillaries aside from chins. see >>35694061

the context of your quote may matter. presumably he is talking about a specific novice program there. if not, he's contradicted himself... but hey
>>
>>35695024
point is that there are 101 ways to add in accessories. some are better than others in different contexts etc. etc. but its not 'fucking with the program' to do one variation rather than another
>>
>>35695040
this
>>35695045
>well if you look in the book you can see, written down explicitly, novice programs that have ancillaries aside from chins
half of those are just different phases of the SS program. "the following novice workout" is phase 2 of SS, the one below it is phase 3 and "a good example" is kind of phase 4. i think thats the onus wunsler version. the one below that is phase 5 or advanced novice. basically, those are all the SS program since it has different phases.

he's talking about the official "starting strength routine" in the context of my picture's quote. he is talking about general novice programming in the random quotes >>35694061. if you want to do SS, you do the workouts according to these phases http://www.fitocracy.com/knowledge/official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats/

if you are a smart novice, you do that and possibly add dips and curls
>>
>>35695188
>half of those are just different phases of the SS program
i think you have just invented that. or rather, i think you have got it second or third hand from some website or other rather than going back to what is actually said in the book.

as Rip says in the book, SS is not a single workout or program but a methodology.

>official "starting strength routine"
>official-starting-strength-guide-for-fitocrats

in what sense are these 'official'?
>>
>>35695256
the author of that article is a fucking starting strength coach. and a famous one. there are like 50 SSCs in the world. that shit is very rippetoe approved. read the programming section in SS:BBT and you'll understand the phases. i dont remember seeing Rip saying anything about SS being a methodology, thats just made up by the author of that one pic.
>>
>>35695639
>fucking starting strength coach. and a famous one. there are like 50 SSCs in the world

I'll have you know that some 140 lb teenagers on the internet disagree.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.