[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ibuprofen after lifting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: ibuprofen.jpg (56 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
ibuprofen.jpg
56 KB, 800x800
So I've been taking 800mg of ibuprofen after lifting. Is this bad?
>>
There is some speculation (though nothing close to conclusive) that it can reduce the body's anabolic response to your training.

But it won't make a noticeable difference imo.
>>
File: confused non pone.jpg (31 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
confused non pone.jpg
31 KB, 853x480
>>35693433
I think it's probably true but for a tiny % that makes no major difference. I was just wondering if it's bad for my liver or something to take 800mg on a regular basis.
>>
>>35693478
Not for your liver that much like APAP but it can cause stomach ulcers or some shit with extended use. The pain relief is probably placebo anyway, you can just not take them and probably fare better anyway.
>>
>>35693403
B-but why?
>>
File: linkara hmmm 01.jpg (106 KB, 878x526) Image search: [Google]
linkara hmmm 01.jpg
106 KB, 878x526
>>35693500
pain relief. I ache after lifting and I find it distracting when I'm trying to concentrate on something.
>>35693493
>placebo
At 400mg maybe you could say that, but 800mg does take the pinch out a bit.
>>
That can't be good for you liver m8. I've heard that tart cherries are supposed to be good for inflammation and muscle pain, why don't you try that OP and see if it works for you?
>>
dont really think your joints should be aching after lifting

try taking fish oil and glucosamine instead
>>
everybody in here is a fucking retard, ibuprophen isn't bad for your liver.

RIP dem kidneys tho
>>
>>35693403
Ibuprofen is a NSAID, Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, so side effects you should watch for are stomach problems, including ulcers, and kidney failure. To a lesser extent, you should look out for liver issues (kidney is affected much, much more) and heart problems(low doses of aspirin help protect against heart problems, but most other NSAIDs make heart problems worse or put you at a higher risk.) The only benefits for taking ibuprofen after lifting are pain reduction from DOMS and you'll look a little bigger from water retention.

All that being said, there's no need to take it after lifting and the cons outweigh the pros. If you're taking it for DOMS you are either 1) just starting to lift and should really learn to tough out the DOMS so you can differentiate between being sore and being hurt later in your lifting career, or 2) you are taking on way too much volume for you in your current situation( sleep schedule, diet, supplements, steroids or lack of, etc) and are actually hurting yourself. If you're taking it because you think it's helping you lift more or making bigger it's not, minus water retention, and for that creatine would be a better option anyway.

There are many supplements out their that are better for you and more effective for anything you are taking it for. I recommend stopping anon.
>>
>>35693403
Guys i've been losing weight in the last 7 months, lost 50 kgs 110 pounds. Anyways i hurt my lower back, barely can move. It's mostly healed but i really need to restart hitting gym. Should i just use ibuprofen and hit it or would it really hamper healing?
>>
>>35695386
Don't be too eager and either reinjure yourself or make it where you don't heal properly. Just take the time to heal up and then hit the gym, you have your whole life to get fit m8.
>>
>>35695386
First of all, go to a doctor if you haven't already. If you can't go to a doctor for whatever reason at least see a chiropractor or something. If you can barely move I wouldn't lift on it. Look at it this way - you can spend a few weeks healing and mastering your diet, or you can go numb yourself to pain cues and risk (a significantly elevated risk since you are already injured) making it worse and being out of lifting for months, years, or forever.

After you see the doctor and heal up for a couple weeks go back with a vengeance anon. A calculated, intelligent fury. If you hurt yourself on a lift, drop the weight to something that's very, very easy and have someone record you doing it. Or record yourself. Correct your form. Once you can consistently record yourself doing it with excellent form then increase the weight. It's probably deadlifts or squats if it's your lower back, and those two are pretty easy to muck up the form.
>>
Chronic ibuprofen use will give you ulcers. Dipshit
>>
>>35693493
>>35694753

Tylanol is the one that fucks your liver

Shouldn't use either for extended periods of time though
>>
Why don't you faggots just eat berries instead of taking these pain medicines? They're shown to be good inflammation and muscle pain, plus they won't fuck up various organs.
>>
>>35694753
Acetaminophen/Paracetamol is the one that's bad for your liver. Ibuprofen is much better.
>>
>>35693478
>>35693493
>>35694819
>>35695523
>>35695572

Large doses or chronic use of Ibuprofen still has a negative effect on the liver and harms it to an extent.

You'd reach kidney failure much, much quicker though. It hurts the kidney's A LOT more. However, to say it has no effect on the liver is incorrect and if anon is doing anything else putting a lot of stress on his liver it could tip the scale so to speak.
>>
>>35695430
>>35695485
Should've added more info. Went to a doctor already, it's nothing serious just pulled a muscle.

I wont be lifting or anything for a month but i want to start cardio.
>>
>>35696206
Cardio should be fine I'd think. Just start slow if you haven't been doing it. Do couch to 5k or somethign and just make sure you strech and do a warm up before going full in.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.