[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you ever worry about catching a blood transmitted disease
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: DSC_1089.jpg (115 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1089.jpg
115 KB, 640x427
Do you ever worry about catching a blood transmitted disease at the gym? I tear my calluses quite frequently and it's kinda worrying me.
>>
>>35692262
How about not gripping the bar like a retard
>>
File: deadlift-grip.jpg (97 KB, 1024x239) Image search: [Google]
deadlift-grip.jpg
97 KB, 1024x239
>>35692356
Believe me I've tried, doesn't always work.
>>
>>35692262
No, the really nasty blood borne pathogens wouldnt survive on fomites such as barbells

I think you can catch herpes (gladiatorium) but thats very rare
>>
>>35692534
Oh, well that's reassuring to know.
>>
>>35692262
How does this happen? I deadlift 335 lbs for 5 reps, which I know isn't amazing but it's 2x my bodyweight and I'm making progress, but I don't use chalk, grips or any of that shit. Not even a belt, and my hands still don't deal with so much stress I bleed out.

How much are you deadlifting for how many reps? My calluses are big and thick, but never tear. The most that ever happens is they crack a little during winter.
>>
you can get worms sitting on sweaty seats
>>
>>35692356
not him but for something like farmer's walks you need as much of your hand around the handle as possible, the normal grip isn't enough
>>
>>35692616
200 kg 1 rep can easily tear a callus, maybe I just have shitty skin.
>>
>>35692636
I have really sweaty hands which makes it really shitty because my calluses are always wet so they grow a lot, but when I DL heavy with chalk it just starts hurting for like 5 minutes and my hands get very dry for the next day, but i've never tore a callus.
My last 1rm was 230kg
>>
>>35692262
i worry more about catching a seminal transmitted one from my locker room sesh's kek
all jokes aside wear some gloves or take a couple days off. it isn't gonna kill you but the thought of catching a disease, amputating the hand, and never being able to lift with it again just might
>>
>>35692356
>>35692534
a fucking power clean with 1 plate can tear a callus.
just deadlifting usually doesnt tear anything, what reallt fucks your hands up is the bar rotation
>>
>>35693133

The only callous I've ever torn have been during power cleans. Shit sucks.
>>
>>35693133
>>35693175
Can confirm, and i only power clean 145 for 5x2. Deadlifts usually arent bad.
>>
>>35693194
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTqNSgCmM2s
>>
>>35692262

Almost definitely not. If you're really that worried about it just wear gloves.
>>
>>35692414
This is the most useful thing I've seen since starting lifting
>>
Only time I ever bleed is when I'm fucking up my deadlifts and whaling on my shins
Sucks but I always spray/wipe the bar afterwards; I'm clean anyway
>>
>>35692262
>I tear my calluses quite frequently

Saw the picture and had hoped it was a rock climbing thread. >>35692616
>>35692636
Yeah, some people just have different skin. At the climbing gym I go to, it's common for new people to tear up their hands and never have any problems. I'm in your boat where I had something like 8 flappers (flaps of skin that come up) and had to tape for months. I don't know how common it is in lifting, but myself and many climbers grind down their calluses with a nail file. I seriously can't recommend this enough. It doesn't make the skin on your hands less tough and durable though it might sound like it would.

Even after climbing for a while when my skin had developed and gotten rougher, I still had the problem of calluses tearing off. Grinding them was by far better than taping after a couple months. Try it for a couple weeks at the very least. I never give advice on anything lifting related, but this is so directly applicable. Best of luck OP.
>>
GRIPDRIVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OK-S3ZJZxQ
>>
Caught scabies on my hands once, got a whole week off work due to it being semi-contagious. Still went to the gym during that time.
>>
how the fuck do people (other than the ones who diddylift 400+ kg) get such fucked callouses? my gym has bars and dbs with texture literally like fucking wood files and still I don't have anything worse than mild callouses (from middle finger to pinky). DL 5RM 240 kg, ~10 sets (ramping up) twice a week. pull the slack out of the bar before each rep you dumb faggots.

catching a disease from a bar would require someone with that disease to have used it just before you and have left some blood on it. you have higher chances to catch tuberculosis from a random hobo who coughed upwind from you in the street. not sure about all diseases, but HIV dies i

if you're super paranoid, just wrap your fucking towel around the bar. and for the love of god, if you do bleed all over the fucking barbell, wipe that shit off.
>>
>>35694175
> rock climbing
it got me too
>>
>>35692262
kinda. I go to a homo gym also.
>>
>>35692414
>>35692262

>Not hookgriping
>Thinks he is a serious lifter because he tore some calluses
>>
>>35696653
you can definitely tear callouses with hook grip. I did it last week when I was doing farmers Got to the end, put the weights down and my right palm was covered in blood
>>
>>35695918
Lol I don't think we are that rare on this board. I think I'll make a rock climbing general thread soon and see how it goes.
>>
>>35692534
>>35692601
Hepatitis can last up to 10 hours outside the body
HIV about 15minutes
>>
File: 1439858383864.jpg (29 KB, 296x296) Image search: [Google]
1439858383864.jpg
29 KB, 296x296
>>35692262
no, because i'm the only person who uses my barbell
>>
>>35694175
>>35695918
fellow climber!
I mostly stick too bouldering.
here is a great video on hand maintenance and care, i've followed it and havn't had many issues.
I got one flapper when a attempted a dynamic move on a like new hold. my skin stuck, but I didn't commit my grip and gave myself a big blister. kept climbing until it popped because I just had to get that one problem.
anyway, this video is the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otorSGl3sG0
>>
>>35697551
yeah but you also have to consider uow many infectious virions are needed to get an infection going some viruses (ie norovirus) need like 10-20 (very low) but others needs 1000s

i havent heard of any case where someone gets hcv (or hbv) from using gym equipment. i suspect you need more blood contact
>>
>>35692262
Clip your calluses when they get too big. If you don't have clippers, dig at them with a pencil or a tack. You can pull a lot of the skin off that way and even end up with some extra traction if you do a shit enough job.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.