[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Swimming Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
File: 1448454102897.jpg (670 KB, 1180x1770) Image search: [Google]
1448454102897.jpg
670 KB, 1180x1770
Why was the last thread deleted? there wasn't any spam or nsfw content in it and the discussion was actually on point.

Lets keep on talking about routines, general questions about tecnique, breathing, whatever you're struggling with or anything related to swimming.
>>
Go back to /v/ with your swimmy shit.
>>
>>35684785
so, I'm a marine. We do survival swimming, and I found I really love it. Can anyone suggest a swimming routine or program to increase general stamina and cardio? Looking for something, beginner to intermediate.

My abilities- I have swam a mile. I did it in 67 minutes using the breast stroke, and I usually swim twice a week for 30 minutes each. Switiching between breast stroke, and freestyle.
>>
are jammers just for competition?
what do you wear in training?
>>
>>35685047
They're not, I use them in training everyday.
>>
File: 1448924793363.png (87 KB, 321x308) Image search: [Google]
1448924793363.png
87 KB, 321x308
>>35684798
>Implying swimming isnt god tier cardio
>>
>>35684834

Can you suggest some Marine workouts for me? Do you guys PT every day? Why do so many Marines look so jacked, like the guys in Terminal Boots? What can I do to get to that level?
>>
File: 1443153754248.png (197 KB, 458x419) Image search: [Google]
1443153754248.png
197 KB, 458x419
>>35685556
>Not wearing a brief to show off all your gains
>>
>>35685574
Are you serious? Most Marines look like shit because we drink and smoke too much and only PT when we have to.
And any guys that are jacked are most likely POGs.
>>
Tips for avoiding that sinking feeling in the lower body for freestyle? Whenever I do freestyle I feel like my upper body floats a bit and my lower body sinks and that a lot of my energy is spent just trying to fight it.

Also, any tips on how to keep your arms from crossing the center line in freestyle? I'm trying to do that high-elbow stuff and I feel like one of my arms is more inward and crossing the center line a bit--I'm not always going in a straight line.
>>
>>35685930
Push your chest into the water. Your upper body is always going to be more buoyant because that's where the air is. So you have to consciously push your torso down into the water to bring your legs up.
And just focus on reaching forward with your arm. It helps a lot to have someone watch and critique your form. Just make sure you have it solid before you start doing conditioning, bad habits are hard to break.
>>
>>35685963
Cool, thanks. One last question--head position in freestyle. Where should my gaze be directed?
>>
>>35685977
Strait down, neutral spine, turn the head only enough to breathe.
>>
>>35685574
I Pt everyday. Believe or the not the typical marine is very wiry, more like an endurance athlete then a big buff guy. Typically, I would go with any crossfit workout. I know sometimes the form is awful, but I got into my best shape doing crossfit, and hill runs.
>>
>>35685963
kick a lot breh, if you dont then your lower will always sink. And for your arms try doing the stroke like if you where rising your hand when you're standing in the ground, make it follow a straight line from your shoulder and up. Watch this vid, try to do the stroke that way.. thats how the olympic swimmers do it nad it just werks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTQpF_mmg44
>>
File: 1430662928958.jpg (1 MB, 2070x3388) Image search: [Google]
1430662928958.jpg
1 MB, 2070x3388
>>35684834
What kind of routines you do in your 30minutes sessions? and freestyle and breastroke are the only styles you know? I'll post a couple of routines a bit later
>>
D1 college swimmer here. ask me anything. i'm a sprinter
>>
>>35685930
I've noticed a lot of people who's feet sink to the floor do so because their form isn't quite on point, make sure that you're looking straight down at the line, and not ahead, almost like you're tucking your chin into your body, sorry if directions arent super clear english isntmy native language
>>
>>35686948
Can you post any routines for beginner swimmers? Also any general tips?
Im not new to cardio exercises because i do a lot of long distance running (like 10 k runs) but jesus swimming tires me out way more than running
>>
>>35686822
I usually do the front crawl (2 laps, 25 meters) until I get tired. Then breast stroke(2 laps). rinse, and repeat. I never was involved in any swimming leagues, so what drills do they do?
>>
>>35684785
>tfw my body will never be this perfect
>tfw not that good at swimming
>>
>>35687145
depends how beginner you are. try warming up with a 300 then doing around 8-10 100s with 10 seconds rest between. That'll get you in basic swim shape
>>
>>35687407
Thanks dude bro!
>>
>>35685930
Keep your head down, like, keep your chin closer to your chest, if your head is down your feet will be up. Im a swim coach and this is a pretty common problem.
>>
>>35687181
Alright, you can do something like this, its a bit of a beginner routine but whatever

- Warm up 200m (thats 8 laps of 25m)
Try doing it with out stop but dont push yourself too much, after all is just the warm up.

- 8x25m in freestyle at moderate speed
- 4x25m in breaststroke
- 6x50m in freestyle, the first 25m as fast as you can and the second 25m at moderate/slow to recover
- 2x100m in freestyle at moderate speed
- 1x200m switching between freestyle and breaststroke every 50m
- 2x25m in whatever style you want to cooldown

Thats a really REALLY basic routine that you might be able to fit in a 30min or 45min session. Later on if this seems very easy you can aim to do longer distances and change the 100m, 200m, 400m and see how it goes.

I've seen this page linked a lot of times in this threads, give it a go you might find other interesting routines to spice up your sessions and dont get too bored of the same shit every single time:

mydailyswim.com
>>
>>35687902
Oh and you can use some other materials like a kicking board, paddles, pullbuoy to do different drills instead of just swimming laps of freestyle.
>>
>>35686948
How does your diet change going into taper? I know less intense training = fewer calories, but do you do anything specifically related to the food you eat
>>
>>35687902
thank you, anon. I appreciate it
>>
>>35686948

Swim noob here. Been swimming off and on for a few years, only know free and breast. I feel like I can only swim moderately fast (beneath a sprint), but I can't pace myself and swim a bit slower to achieve longer distances than 100 m. When I swim slower I feel like I just sink. Should I just take longer, more deliberate strokes?

Sorry if my problem isn't really clear. As far as I know I don't have any glaring problems with my form.
>>
File: 1451866746969.jpg (33 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1451866746969.jpg
33 KB, 450x600
>>35686948
Hey whats an average training session for you? Do you train twice a day? Thanks
>>
Got to 2k in about an hour today. I could take smaller breaks in between laps and beat it, which I will do tomorrow.

I barely kick though. Is that a problem? I just can't get myself to kick all the time and use only arms 80% of the time as it feels more comfortable and doesn't tire me out as much.
>>
>>35685892

Well I wouldn't know since I've never been in the Marines. But from seeing videos of the guys in Terminal Boots they seem pretty jacked, and they're 0311's.
>>
>>35690343
>>35685892

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnVeChcgZik

Vid related
>>
Ex- competitive swimmer here. For beginners I really recommend a pyramid workout. It really helps you build up your swimming gradually.

It goes like this, for example:
1 x 50m (rest 10 sec)
1 x 100m (rest 20 sec)
1 x 150m (rest 30 sec)
1 x 200m PINNACLE POINT (rest 1 minute)
1 x 150m (rest 30 sec)
1 x 100m (rest 20 sec)
1 x 50m

Swim at a good pace.

You can choose yourself by how much meters every step of the pyramid goes, and how high the pyramid is for you. I really like this workout because it incorporates an automatic cool-down, as at the end you swim less and less and come to a complete stop.
>>
>>35684834
100 free, 100 fly, 100 breast, 100 back
>>
>>35690583
What are the best strokes to learn for beginners?
>>
Breast stroke, front crawl (freestyle), and back stroke to a lesser extent.

(Also Ex-Competative Swimmer)
>>
>>35691179
>What are the best strokes to learn for beginners?

To learn? Well if you're starting from scratch, every stroke is difficult to learn, and if you've already got some swimming experience, every stroke is even more difficult to fully master. The easiest stroke for many is the breast stroke, but I would advise you to learn freestyle, because it's much faster and is really the fundamental stroke.
>>
>>35685930
For your legs... Maybe you're not kicking enough? When I was younger (like a child) I never kicked and as I got older I noticed my legs would sink because I focused so much on my arms ... Just be mindful of both body parts moving. Kind of like when you're lifting and one arm/leg is lagging.

As far as your arms, what helped me is to imagine a clock and straight ahead is 12 and I aim my wrists at 11 and 1. Also zipper drills help me a lot. Just drag your thumb along your body until you reach all the way out and try to keep your elbows toward the ceiling. This is also meant to be a slower drill as well so don't focus too much on speed, but to stretch out each stroke and also reach out like you're catching a ball.

Hope this helps, anon. Best of luck!
>>
>>35687924
I love pulling man, I used to be able to do it all day (so to speak). That was in highschool, fast forward a few years now I can barely pull 200 lol. Can't wait to get back into it though. I'm on day two on being back into swimming and I've been focusing on IM and I already feel that I suck less.
>>
>>35688059
Focus on stretching out your strokes and gliding more. Like keep pushing with your muscles (if that makes sense) but don't focus on speed.
>>
>>35691943
Yeah! seriously IM is fucking hard sometimes, I dont know why but whey I get to backstroke I go slow as fuck.. thats my weakest style.
>>
File: AA0I2523_edited-1-X3.jpg (283 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
AA0I2523_edited-1-X3.jpg
283 KB, 1600x1067
>>35689689
I really want to know this too

>>35690583
not a beginner but thanks for that, the pyramid workout seems nice. How would you go for an advanced workout with it? im curious
>>
>>35693742
Same .. Fly is my stroke so I come in strong but as soon as I go to backstroke it's pitiful. It just feels so unnatural compared to free; my arms are hella slow and if I'm not mindful I go flat. Gotta keep those hips in check.

We'll get there though man!
>>
Im on a fullbody trainning 3 days a week, is it ok to swim 2 times a week on rest days?
Since im on a fullbody program, i squat every day i'm in the gym.
>>
Okay so I can swim a 500 free with some difficulty after starting in Aug. I've been going off videos and my form is pretty awful, but I'm at least past some of the really beginner mistakes. I had a buddy videotape me, and I can see some of what i'm doing wrong, but don't know how to fix it. What do I do?

For example, the high-elbow break can be forced by turning your shoulder in. One of my problems is twisting/bending my whole body when I breath, but i dunno how to 'force' a remedy.

I'm saving for lessons, but it'll be a bit.
>>
WL only fag that doesn't know how to swim is there a program kinda like SS but for swimming ? I learn so much better from books and routines (autismo I know).

Just would like to get into swimming as seems like the most fun cardio running and cycling are both shit tbqh.
>>
>>35688059
>>35685930
do your stroke like this. watch how the arm goes straight forward and not crossing like an arrow

http://imgur.com/LHWZ0Bb

cant post the image because its too heavy
>>
hey anons, I made a pastebin with the swimming schedules from last thread as well.

http://pastebin.com/La20a0Q3
>>
>>35694461
Thanks anon, there was also a pastebin with links of useful swimming info but i think its not working anymore.. had some tutorials and beginner vids
>>
>>35695087
I have it, will post when home
>>
>>35693830
>not a beginner but thanks for that, the pyramid workout seems nice. How would you go for an advanced workout with it? im curious

For an advanced pyramid workout, you just increase the distance and up the pace by making it an interval training. Something we used to do often in trainings was:

1 x 100 (leave 1:40 minute mark)
1 x 200 (leave 3:30 minute mark)
1 x 300 (leave 5 minute mark)
1 x 400 (leave 7 minute mark) PINNACLE POINT
1 x 300 (leave 5 minute mark)
1 x 200 (leave 3:30 minute mark)
1 x 100 (leave 1:40 minute mark)

In total, this is 1600 metres at about 50 seconds per 50 meters, which really gets tough at the end since you'll want to swim with high pace to have a longer rest inbetween intervals.

I still swim about 3 times weekly myself, and I do this workout 2 out of 3 times. I find it great because it's great cardio but not slow
>>
>>35694010
>Im on a fullbody trainning 3 days a week, is it ok to swim 2 times a week on rest days?

That depends what kind of swimming you plan on doing. If you plan to swim the day after working out, then do a recovery swim, which is at low pace and long distance. Don't do high intensity swimming the day after a workout, because you mainly use chest and arms for swimming so you'll be super sore and it's probably a bad idea for your muscles. If you workout one day, rest the following and then swim the second day, you can go with high intensity swimming. Just my 5 cents. I lift twice and swim 3 times a week.

>>35694110
>What do I do?

Get a private tutor. Seriously. I played water polo my entire youth (so I was quite used to swimming) but I still took 10 private lessons 2 years ago, and I learned so much. The lessons I took lasted 30 minutes per go and were 15 dollars, I was amazed at how much you could learn in such a short period of time. Improving swimming by yourself is very hard IMO.
>>
>>35695087
>>35695525

Thanks guys, I'll update the pastebin in twelve hours. Gotta go to bed, my swimming group start at 07 tomorrow.
>>
>>35686948
Do you guys give each other brojobs after practice to get them quick post workout gains?
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.