[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How overrated are squats? I mean... I kinda like to do them,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Oats-Squats.jpg (50 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Oats-Squats.jpg
50 KB, 640x640
How overrated are squats? I mean... I kinda like to do them, but there are programs in the internet that says it is the godlike exercise and you cannot grow without doing them every single gym session.
Help me out please =|
>>
your legs can handle doing them more, that's why it's prescribed.
if you could bench 3 times a week increasing weight every session then you should too.
>>
>>35672699
women love a man with thick juicy legs that can fuck them with the power of a 315 squat hip drive
>>
They're not overrated. Now man the fuck up and do your squats OP.
>>
>>35672699
Just squat OP. Don't become T. Rex mode.
>>
They are godlike

If anything they're underrated. The only question is how much weight do you wanna do... 315+ is a reasonable goal but less would be OK

Just squat bro
>>
squats are extremely overrated
>>
>>35673515
/thread
>>
>>35672699
Squats are a great exercise and unless you have some serious injury you have no reason to not do them for at least one day of whatever program you currently run.
>>
>Used to squat once a week
>half assed at that
>squatted 315 for a few reps
>never went higher
>realized that was Bulls hit
>determined to hit 405
>legs could do it, core couldn't
>realize my core was my weak spot
>train core, do all sorts of stuff
>handle 405 after realizing squats are a good measure of core strength
>now i have a core of steel and I squat 3x. A week
>sometimes when I'm lifting I feel like a normie bitch if I'm doing something besides squats
>>
Squats work most of your body if done correctly, yes, even the biceps.
They require such effort and such recruitment of your CNS and many muscle groups and muscle fibres that squats alone can give somebody a respectable (though unbalanced) physique.
I am a bodybuilder (in that I train all year, diet for four months and step on stage in a man thong to flex and pose) and I squat 3 times a week when I'm building mass and twice a week when I'm cutting. You need to squat to get big and look good.
>>
>>35672699

Squat is the best leg excercise since it nicely target lots of muscles at the same time thus encouraging great gains in the lowest time possible. Specially when you are starting.

it hits your core really good too, I don't do abs or lower back excersises and I'm always rock solid from the squats.
>>
like deadlift, unless you lift competitively or for bragging rights they're not worth the risk of lower back injury and knee problems when safer alternatives exist
>>
>>35673585
>>>/deadlift/
>>
>>35673617
Ooo, hot take for /fit/
>>
>>35673617
>muh lower back in dedlifts
then fucking sumo deadlift
>muh knees and lower back from squats
make sumo your primary and squats your secondary and as long as your form is good you shouldn't have problems you pussy
>>
>>35673617
>muh unspecified knee and back problems
Mom what did I tell you about giving advice on /fit/
>>
Heavy compounds should be done every lifting session. Squats need to be done at least every other leg day.
>>
>>35673630
>as long as your form is good you shouldn't have problems
woah there tough guy

even pros and people that have been lifting their entire lives and who live and breathe good form suffer injuries during heavy compounds, they simply understand the risks involved with these lifts however, while you on the other hand are just a moron who thinks his "good form" will be the unbreakable shield that protects his back and knees from hundreds of pounds of pressure
>>
>>35673692
>suffer injuries during heavy compounds
you're not squatting 500lbs buddy

if you make sumo your primary and then do squats as a secondary leg builder I gaurefuckingtee you'll not hurt yourself at any respectable weight as long as your form isn't utter shit
>>
>>35673585
if your squats work your biceps then you're doing your squats wrong you fucking retard
>>
>>35672699

I prefer lunges. I think you get better movement and pump out of the leg muscles.

but thats me.

plus squats are hard on the back.
>>
>>35672699
Squats are a very effective movement for strength and power training
But you can conceivably train all the muscles involved with a million machines

Also skwats are fun
>>
>>35673692
>professionals injure themselves when working at a weight that only professionals work at
>>
ITT: pussies and weaklings
>>
>>35672699
Squats aren't magic. The muscles in your legs are very large and powerful compared to the muscles in your upper body. Because of that, they can be worked heavily and much more often that most other muscle groups. For example, the calves are a very powerful, very dense group of muscles. They can easily lift your body weight. The same cannot be said for your arms. So the squat hype is about being able to squat 3 times a week, quite easily.
>>
>>35674184
You're ignoring the fact that squats also utilize other muscles beyond the legs
>>
>>35674242
Yes, of course. Any weight that's carried high on the body will require more than just your legs. Your entire core is needed to maintain proper form. As well as damn near every muscle in your body. The "hype" comes from the short recovery period, which is mostly because of the legs.
>>
>>35672699
They aren't overrated but what is underrated is how important proper technique is. Learn to fucking do them right and don't be one of these guys half repping 2 1/2 plates on their toes wondering why they aren't making gains.

Highbar vs Lowbar on the other hand is loads of bullshit.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.