[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ I am planning to life on 15 dollars a week, very healthy,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 1452331405417.jpg (29 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
1452331405417.jpg
29 KB, 480x446
Hey /fit/ I am planning to life on 15 dollars a week, very healthy, what kind of food do i need to buy etc?
>>
indian food, in india. i dont see living off $60 a month working anywhere else
>>
rice and veggies i guess

15$ is like what i spend daily on chicken
>>
A 10 lb bag of oatmeal for $10, chicken and I dunno what the fuck else but it probably won't work
>>
>>35667012
20 pound bag of rice for $8
2 pounds of vegetables for $5
1 pound of meat for $3

I don't think it can be done. Maybe go for half the rice and buy vitamins and a gallon of milk.
>>
Beans instead of meat, lots of rice and potatoes
>>
File: kroger-split-peas-green-3421.jpg (23 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
kroger-split-peas-green-3421.jpg
23 KB, 200x200
>>35667012
I get dehydrated packages of green spit peas (Kroger/Fredmeyer brand) for $1.30ish each. Eating 2 packages a day would give you 2340 Calories, and 234 Grams of protein. It would come out to /$18.20/week
>>
>>35667405
You can life on That?
>>
>>35667470
You can try
>>
>>35667470
Probably a good idea to take a multi vitamin. but its probably better to get a variety in your diet, and get some fat in. cheapest way would be to replace one or two packages with some 2% or whole milk and the $Cost/week would be about the same
>>
>>35667338
I have seen some people complain about the 'quality' of protein that you get from beans.

Milk is considered a 'complete' protein though.
>>
I recommend you buy as much milk as possible and just live off that
People forget that milk is all baby cows eat, and they gain mass extremely quickly
so it's good if you're looking to build muscle
>>
>>35668390
Pair beans with rice and you get a complete protein, more or less
>>
>>35668470
>more or less
lel
>>
At that price point you're looking for ingredients, not foods, sorted by price per pound. This means flour, oil, the cheapest rice available, peanuts, and lentils, split peas and maybe black beans. The cheapest eggs, don't try cooking them easy or you might eventually get sick. Junk food actually doesn't come close to optimal in terms of price per calorie.

Then vegetables, the cheaper and more densely nutritious the better. Kale, big bags of whole unpeeled carrots, bags of onions, 3pk romaine hearts, old potatoes that get marked down and so on. Then fruits, probably bananas and the occasional pack of dark berries.

Seasonings (garlic, sauces, dry seasoning) can be cheap per serving but have significant cost up front.

Your protein source will be significantly whey powder which is the cheapest per gram protein by far. Marked down meats and $2/lb or less chicken breast next. Only buy meat on huge specials or if you leave room in your budget for periodic treats. Do the cost per calorie -- even $2/lb chicken breast isn't that great on the cheap.

Overall, your objective is to optimize price per calorie over the week while eating as many different whole foods as you can. 15 dollars a week is pushing it for a varied diet but still doable.
>>
>>35668600
Also, you can plant a lot of herbs nearby your home or even in your windowsill. Many of them grow like weeds and provide some of the cheapest, freshest seasoning you can get.
>>
>>35668600
>sorted by price per calorie*
ftfm
>>
>>35668600
>>35668684
This man knows what he's talking about. Do this OP.
>>
>>35667012
I don't see how that's possible.

You could get a bag of white rice, and some chicken breasts but it would still come out more than $15 a week. It's gotta be at least $40 a week
>>
>>35668470
>>35668390

beans or lentils with a BCAA shake and you get a cheap nutritious meal with complete protein
>>
Milk and potatoes
>>
>>35668777
>It's gotta be at least $40 a week
The hell? Where do you live? I live in Colorado with 2 roommates and we spend $80 every week and a half for the 3 of us.
>>
>>35671600
Wtf, just 80 for three guys? Im like spending 30/40 euros a week for just me.
>>
>>35671673
yeah but america is a bunch of nothing in between nyc and la. everything is cheap there.
>>
>>35671673
I live on £6 a week so it's possible
>>
>>35671706
Can you post shopping list and prices pls?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.