[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/SIG/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9
File: plato_360x450.jpg (245 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
plato_360x450.jpg
245 KB, 800x1000
Self Improvement General:

How have you improved yourself this week/month/year? Lifting isn't life, a well-balanced human being is productive, has hobbies, pushes him/herself to succeed, is charismatic, and strives to live the best life they can. Share your successes, failures, methods, and everything in between.

The sticky is divided like so:
>Recommended Readings.
>Some tips to get your life back on track.
>Study and Career.
>To-do list habit.rpg (If you’re TOTALLY Lost. Start with this one)
>Focus and meditation
>Finance

Basic Recommendations:
>Have a productivity Framework that is flexible. A mindset that gets you going.
>Use a calendar, like google calendar. Hours and shit for things YOU WILL DO.
>Learn to focus.
>Meditate.
>Do routines for things you should do periodically/daily, this should cover daily things or weekly chores such as laundry, cleaning, shopping.
>Identify and Eliminate conflicts within yourself.
>Focus on identifying the time wasters in your life and eliminate them.
>Focus on the essentials. If you try to do everything at once you’ll burnout. Little by little.

Resources:
arcitea.com
>This is a good ‘sticky’ for self-development
http://www.bakadesuyo.com/blog/
>This one is a good blog for resources of this kind. I’ve seen annons give good feedback.

>Framework
http://youtu.be/b-a1jXgAsQI
http://youtu.be/3Ao7rZ8-HWo
http://youtu.be/iG9CE55wbtY
>Motivation
http://youtu.be/ZtMm0swu5i8
http://youtu.be/WxOFvpplvAM
http://youtu.be/ix4xSzkqwhk

>Reading material:
http://pastebin.com/x7BbYimv

>If you think there is material that should be added (Or taken off). Please say so.
>There is no central authority for the /SIG/, everyone could copy, modify and upload the info here in a latter post.
>To future curators of the /SIG/. Stray away from PUA, and avoid Fedora stuff please.

Try to keep it alive this time guys.
>>
does anyone have tips for social gains? I want to make more friends and meet new girls outside of my school circle.

I know classes can be good for that but I don't know what to pick, anybody knows a hobby/class that's like 50/50 men and women?? I also would like suggestions besides classes if possible
>>
Pretty much been killing it for 10 yrs now. Started training martial arts and that got me into studying various topics(history, finance, economics, government,etc). I simplified my life to the point where all I do is work, train, hang with my wife, and hang with my family. I don't have time for friends because I truly don't need them. If they're like-minded then they train with me. Many have started but they all fell eventually. Im the friend that improves your life just by you hanging out with me. I have a great job that allows me to train at work as well as study and Im also self employed. I live comfortably and am only getting better. I am now moving on to studying Geography, Japanese language, and probably get a real estate license just for the fuck of it.

Im also a philosopher and here is one I came up with based on my 10 years of training; Self motivation leads to self discipline leads to self cultivation leads to self knowledge leads to self expression.
>>
File: 81qt5h+hIKL.jpg (330 KB, 1400x2113) Image search: [Google]
81qt5h+hIKL.jpg
330 KB, 1400x2113
I really recommend this book. Also 'Rich Dad Poor Dad' is great if you are new to personal finance. Its an easy read and gives a good general approach to financial independence. 'Money Master the Game' gives good direct knowledge on what to do and how to do it.
>>
>>35659913
>His worst book
>>
>>35659913
>tony robbins
>robert kiyosaki
you might as well recommend brian tracy
>>
Things I want to do to improve myself this year

>Take a weekend course with little brother on blacksmithing
>Get certified by OWF for Level 1
>Volunteer at a Powerlifting OR Weightlifting meet
>Do more travelling
>Begin Masters Degree in Teaching this fall
>Improve guitar skills
>DL 350
>Recover from injury

Let's improve ourselves lads.
>>
>>35659796
school clubs and events. Trry to get involved best you can. best advice you can get for this.
>>
>>35659950
>post one better instead of being a faggot
>>
>getting fit
>learning guitar
>reading books

been doing good senpai
>>
>>35659796

A dancing class of any type. Salsa/Latin stuff is mostly women, I remember a class in which we were only 4 guys and a lot of females (A LOT). To practice some moves the girls had to get in line to dance with one of us.
>>
I've managed to keep studying a little Japanese every day for the past month without giving up and starting over (thanks Shia).

Haven't been kicked out of my bottom-rung blue-collar job.

Am planning to apply for higher education, maybe tomorrow or Monday. Or next month. Should look for a summer job too. No rush though, right?
>>
I want to recommend a book titled "The war of art" (not to be confused with "The art of war"). It's about fighting what the author describes as "the resistance", which is any internal or external force that will keep you away from doing your work.

Went through a deep depression last year, and got to the point were i found myself unable to do basic work, or concentrate myself, and even worse, I was always able to find ways to make excuses or justify my behaviour. Been going to therapy and feel much, much better. I'm not 100%, rather, i found what's wrong with me, and rationalize the path that i have to follow in order to improve. My resolution for this year is to stop making excuses and do what i must, in every aspect of my life. This book is useful for anyone that finds himself in that kind of situation. From start to bottom i felt the guy was talking to me.

It's nothing magic, no secrets, nothing over the top, but it gives you cues to detect problems and how to solve them. I found it pretty helpful
>>
>>35659796
a modern non denominational church
>>
>>35659796
workout, go to raves with one or two guy friends not more than two, wear a tank top...oh and be good looking, that helps.
>>
>>35659664
I want to start reading. What would you guys recommend the last books I read years ago that I enjoyed were
>1984
>Animal Farm
>In the heat of the night
>The catcher in the rye

The next books I'm thinking of reading are
>Platos Republic
>Mobey Dick
>The prince
Which one should I read first and based on what I have read what would you guys recommend. I'm kind of interested in philosophy atm
>>
>>35660932
Moby Dick is one of my favs. Its a big book. Plato Republic was kind of annoying to be honest. Its a bunch of guys trying to sound smart even though they know they're wrong. Is recommend Sherlock Holmes. Its not one long story, its a bunch of short ones and its my all time fav. Moby Dick is #2 or #3.
>>
>>35660932
FYI Plato's Republic, Mobey Dick, and The Prince are pretty dense reads. I would suggest starting with a less challenging but still amazing read, such as Slaughter House Five, Catch-22, or the Stranger. Then I would return to the classics such as those you listed, and then just branch out from there. Doesn't really matter what order you read them in as long as you warm up first.
>>
>>35660103
Same here man except I'm a dyel
>>
>>35660957
>>35660967
Thanks I'll check a couple of those out.
>>
>>35659664
The end of January will be one year with no energy drinks. I was a 2 a day addict, and stopped cold turkey. I have had maybe 3 sodas over that time too.

I wish I did it sooner. I used to get orange bacteria on my tongue and the back of my throat, which I do not get at all any more.

Downside is I totally judge people who drink soda all the time.
>>
>>35659796
I did a year of toastmasters and it helped me a lot. Basically a public speaking club once a week that you join and work on public speaking and impromptu speaking skills. It can be kind of brutal but it forces you to learn and you meet new kinds of people as well.
>>
File: 1451998596599.jpg (316 KB, 768x1892) Image search: [Google]
1451998596599.jpg
316 KB, 768x1892
>>35660932
Brave New World if you haven't already. Huxley directly inspired Orwell and 1984 owes so much to it. It's also commonly thought of as one of the best novels of the twentieth century for what it's worth.

Fair warning - the first chapter is pretty detached and clinical (literally). It's a dense start, but once the characters are introduced and established, it's phenomenal. Huxley has such a lush and vivid style that the opening pages betray (likely deliberately imo). It's also terrifically witty in places.

>>35660957
While no chronology is agreed upon, Plato's "middle" works are generally the most engaging. It's the period where his thought becomes nuanced without overwhelmingly alienating and obtuse. I recommend the Phaedo and Meno as good starting points. They're also particularly thematically relevant for /SIG/ threads.
>>
My self-improvement goals:

>play more guitar and piano (at least a half hour studying each every day)
>read more books (at least a novel a week)
>improve flexibility and mobility (maybe start yoga, idk)
>lift heavier
>cut my time spent in front of screens (tv, tablet, phone, pc, etc).

I also want to get into meditating, but I can't get into full-lotus or half-lotus. Anyone have stretching routines specifically for this? I mean I know I could just sit on a cushion cross-legged, but I figure this will be something good to work towards.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 640x393) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 640x393
>>35659863
>I'm also a philosopher
>>
"How to win friends and influence peope" absolutely amazing book, i use skills from it daily
>>
>>35659863
How does one aquire self motivation then?

I find it hard to study for my classes. I want this high gpa more than anything, but i camt grind the homework
>>
This thread seems relevant to my question...How do i become with myself 24/7? You know that feeling when your with a certain person, or at a certain pllace and your completely comfortable with no anxiety at all?

how do i reach that state of mind or sense of self i guess, all of the time? i feel like that is the only way i will be happy with who i am and will be willing to look for others to join in my happiness
>>
>>35661666
maybe read Eckart Tolle. Learn to become present and silence your ego.
>>
>>35660103
are you me bro? i just brought a guitar
>>
>>35661782
any of his books that you would recommend?
>>
>>35661982
I think Power of Now is what people recommend
Here's Tyler from RSD talking about it. Tyler has got some great vids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxcFTCUcaq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghyUmNt5Yd0
>>
Learning the Ukulele, can do a few strongs, both stumming and plucking based ones, I'm a bit slow since I'm just self teaching via youtube and google searching chords.

Working on cutting down to 80kg while working out at home, then joining a gym to get huge. Thriving on noob-gains but can't make much progress while trying to slim down. Down to 102Kg at the moment so 22kg to go. I hope this is a reasonable goal I'm 6'1'' if I should be aiming elsewhere before I start a bulk/cut cycle do let me know.

I want to learn Japanese at some point in my life, I'm a weeaboo for both the history and architecture when I was a kid, and someone who enjoys watching the odd anime these days, I doubt it will be anything like I expect but I'd still love to visit one day. Speaking the language isn't anything important, just something I'd like to do, I started learning to read Katakana in December so would like to be able to read both the Katakana and Hiragana alphabets reasonably well by the end of the year. And by read I mean read as Romanji, I don't expect to be able to speak or understand any words but being able to see the words seems the first step.
>>
>>35662102
uke is convenient since ultimate-guitar.com has the majority of songs available for ukulele too.

And I hope you know about namasensei on youtube. He made a japanese course a few years ago that's fun as shit.
>>
>>35661626
you can train your motivation. Watch movies that motivate you, listen to music that motivates you, find people that motivate you.
>>
>>35659664
In the last year I've bought and relocated a house, got a job in the field I studied, travelled, and even got out a bit more.

Plenty of wins in the big picture, struck out hard on the girlfriend front, but dated a bit at least. I'm pretty happy just to do my own thing though.

This year I'm going to make more friends, take more holidays, and increase my savings.
>>
>>35660303
No rush but why wait?
>>
>>35659863
>Pretty much been killing it for 10 yrs now
>hang with my wife
>wife
Righto bro
>>
>>35661626
Same as lifting
People want the aesthetic/strong body but dont want to lift and eat.
You just do it and after a month it becomes habit
>>
>>35659863
>Im also a philosopher
>>
On the arcitea.com site it says derma rolling can be used for strech marks and scars, does it actually work?
I have some strech marks all over my body and fucktons of scars all up and down my arm from picking them
>>
File: 1402295231244.jpg (43 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1402295231244.jpg
43 KB, 200x200
>>35662833
'Cause I'm a hopeless serial procrastinator.
>>
>>35661626
You don't. You just do shit even when you aren't motivated. Discipline is way more important.
>>
>>35660932
I'd recommend Nietzsche to anyone interested in philosophy
Just pick up Thus Spoke Zarathustra and have your mind blown
>>
>>35661442
>My self-improvement goals:
>
>>play more guitar and piano (at least a half hour studying each every day)
>>read more books (at least a novel a week)
>>improve flexibility and mobility (maybe start yoga, idk)
>>lift heavier
>>cut my time spent in front of screens (tv, tablet, phone, pc, etc).
>
>I also want to get into meditating, but I can't get into full-lotus or half-lotus. Anyone have stretching routines specifically for this? I mean I know I could just sit on a cushion cross-legged, but I figure this will be something good to work towards.

Just sit in Seiza ... Google it up and use something to sit on
>>
My goals
>overcome anxiety
>overcome public speaking problem
>overcome fears of being sick all the time
>achieve a decent gpa for this semester
>keep lifting
>overcome my ex (4 years of relationship)
>study more books
>reduce time spent on screens (computer, phone)
>reduce time spent on social media
>>
>>35659664
I tried some Jorge Bucay, and that's how I started. Helped a lot.
>>
File: Catie Pickajew.jpg (35 KB, 448x604) Image search: [Google]
Catie Pickajew.jpg
35 KB, 448x604
>>35667699
>sign up for toastmasters
>turn off the PC after 8pm
>set a daily time limit for internet access
>always have some enjoyable book ready
that should help all of it
>>
>>35659796
Go to a youth group (church is too formal) if your not Christian just pretend you are, youth groups are really fun and good vibes and most of the time free
>>
>>35659863
How to into humanities?
>>
>>35659863
>In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god's blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence
>>
>>35667833

Intense friendliness with nothing behind the eyes creeps me out , and religious youth is notorious for this
>>
>>35665792
Bump
>>
>>35660932
Start with the Greeks.
Im reading the illiad right now. Besides being an"epic" it also shows the characteristics of "heroes" that we hold in high regard these days like achilles/ zeus. They dont take shit from anybody and seem to hold their ground. Zeus calls his wife/sister on her shit, when she tries to go around his back and Achilles makes it clear that he isnt anyone's biatch. the thing i like the most is that it isnt just a narrative from a single persons perspective but gives different perspective through arguments.

if you are just starting to read though, you are better off reading "light" books or youd just end up getting burnt out. Maybe read engaging books like Forever war/ enders game/ catch 22. Once you ease up you can move onto more difficult reads. Le petite prince is a childrens books but it deals with philosophy and is a short read.
>>
>much like your game
>>
File: Vhom it.jpg (88 KB, 778x584) Image search: [Google]
Vhom it.jpg
88 KB, 778x584
>>35667833
>youth group
>>
File: delayface.jpg (31 KB, 380x247) Image search: [Google]
delayface.jpg
31 KB, 380x247
>>35667833

>mfw a friend of mine in middle school wanted me to go to some Presbyterian youth group activity compound with him just to play the video games.
>>
How does /SIG/ feel about this book?

>How to win friends & influence people by Dale Carnegie

Going to pick it up this week.
>>
>>35667833
dude fuck that shit. im a christian and i can't stand those people.
>>
File: redhead.jpg (1 MB, 903x1178) Image search: [Google]
redhead.jpg
1 MB, 903x1178
>>35671873
classic. read it, it's one of the best.
then reread it every year to remind yourself.
>>
>>35671974
Any other similar books on this kind of topic that you would recommend?

I got the idea from an interview I saw with Brandon Carter (fitness youtuber). He recommends some more in the interview here
https://youtu.be/Dn4CsXqEGkI?t=525 (note the timestamp in the url)

The book list is also in the description of the video.
>>
>>35671873
>>35671974
>>35672535
though I think that book it's pretty basic, I found that sometime you forget things or you simply don''t apply it to your life enough.
I would recommend trying this chart so you actually improve:
https://labs.thesocietea.org/carnegie-chart/
>>
>>35672694
Thanks, I'll bookmark that and follow along as I read the book.
>>
>Been really studying the bible and praying more, noticed lots of life gains.
>Just started push/pull/legs, going four or five times a week. Got a food scale and been noticing good changes.
>Spending time with Wife daily on walks together, Wife gains aplenty.
>Getting 40 hours at work routinely, 200$ away from finally being debt free which we've worked on for over a year.

We're all gonna make it brehs.
>>
>>35659664
>How have you improved yourself this week/month/year?
I had wrist surgery recently so I'm taking the opportunity to focus on my diet and read more. So far so good, cut back heavy on junk food. Eating proper meals, between meal hunger is still bad.
I haven't read in so long, it's slow going but it's better than video games.
Currently no exercise for a couple of weeks, as soon as I'm clear I'm back to jogging.

For me the best thing, when lacking motivation, is just go go out and do whatever it is I'm avoiding. I've never regretted it.
>>
>>35660932
I enjoyed god is not great by Christopher hitchens. This isn't "hurrdurr I'm an atheist", everyone should read it just because it's so critical/skeptical and gets you thinking. Apart from that the plague and the alchemist are good.
>>
I've been watching my caloric intake and running on the treadmill a few times a week (more before the holidays came and fucked my shit up)
I've lost 30 pounds so far but I've seen virtually no progress. I know you can lose muscle when you lose weight but I was never muscular to begin with, is it possible that 10-15-20 pounds of the weight I lost was muscle?
I'm 5'11, 190 pounds and 35% body fat, I'm basically the male equivalent to lena dunham in body shape(lessness) to paint you a picture
>>
>>35659796
Climbing. People who are fit, but at the same time very chill. Girls are naturally good at it and about 50% of the scene. Between climbs, you just chill with people, comment or ask for tips.
>>
>>35666287
>Nietzsche
baby's first philosopher
>>
i've been avoiding alcohol for almost 3 weeks, working on becoming fit as well as strong/big (with focus on mobility and cardio as well as strength/bodybuilding) and have been reading some good and not so good books on these matters, have been sleeping better, trying to get my future in order too (working to start a business with a friend right now as well as taking steps to becoming a personal trainer), have also developed an mild interest in fashion and how to dress onesself and have spent time on that too.

so yeah i've been fairly productive recently but I could be more productive. i guess its something i will work on.
>>
>>35673524
come on man, was there any need for that? don't pick on the guy because his interests are different to yours.
>>
So, what exactly happens at Toastmasters?
>>
>>35659863
are you sure you don't have friends because people worth having a friendship with think you're a self-stroking psycho with a weird non relatable lifestyle?
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.