[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I rarely go here but last time I was here it used to be "/fit/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: heartburn.jpg (118 KB, 980x1306) Image search: [Google]
heartburn.jpg
118 KB, 980x1306
I rarely go here but last time I was here it used to be "/fit/ - Health and Fitness" so I'm imagining this is still the best spot to ask this.

I've been encountering serious cases of heartburn and indigestion for the past year - I've always had light problems with it but it was once in a blue moon - but lately it's been getting awful. I wake up at night in agonizing pain and I'm often spending entire days in discomfort. The only things that relieve it are Tums and Zantac, the latter being something I'm not very consistently comfortable taking just because I don't like downing pills every day of the week unprescribed, it's just unfortunately the only solution I've found so far.

Based on a little bit of personal research, it's gotta be diet-based, but I'm uncertain as to what's really the base of it since so many different foods cause it. Just some examples:
>Bananas (Which sucks, they're my favorite fruit, but if I eat more than one the heartburn is pretty brutal)
>White bread (pls no bread copypasta, toast is delicious)
>Pizza (I've only had it once this year, and when I did I literally could not sleep from the sheer pain, it actually felt like I was being strangled)
>certain baked goods - namely croissants and donuts (Had about two of each in the past half of a year)
>oven-baked crackers also seem to be pretty unpleasant for my stomach

I haven't found a proper correlation, but I'm also pretty bad at researching these kinds of things, but does anyone here think they know what might be the actual cause and what a decent diet-based solution be other than "Don't eat those foods"? Since I'm following that solution already, bu tit doesn't stop the occasional cases of it I get through-out the day. If the only answer is stuff like Zantac, I'll take it, I'm just hoping to figure out what the hell is going on with my stomach.

I've already scheduled an appointment with my doctor, but the only time we had was in a month, so I'd like to hear some other opinions until then.
>>
>>35656079
Try an over the counter medication for it. If Tums and Zantac actually work, your heartburn isn't that bad. For some people, only protein pump inhibitors do anything at all.
>>
>>35656079
I have a similar problem. you could have gastritis. I have to avoid grains, seeds, nuts and legumes to avoid heartburn and I also need to avoid drinking a lot of water with my meals to avoid heartburn
>>
>>35656079
I feel your pain brother. I am something of a heart burn expert having had the two biggest heartburn conditions in highschool. The big two are over active stomach acid and the other is under active stomach.

Over active is your body making too much acid which escapes your stomach and burns your esophagus. This is more common but is more present with greasy or acidic foods (like pizza).

The other, under active, is when your stomach muscles don't activate fast enough. This means that food doesn't leave your stomach as fast as it should. This means, most importantly that sugars start to ferment while in your stomach which can be very painful or cause nausea. Because all carbs and fruit carry sugars that will ferment quickly, your list of foods this as what you have.

The biggest thing that you can do on your own is avoid having fats and sugars at the same time (like milk and frosted flakes). Fat holds food in your stomach even longer allowing for more fermentation. So, if you are eating these foods with whole milk, don't. Eat them separately with just water.

Otherwise consult a doctor or gastroenterologist. They can prescribe drugs to speed up your stomach.
>>
>>35656186
I think it may just be a case of me being a huge wimp against pain, all I know is the discomfort's pretty extreme whenever I don't actually use either of those. It's actually strangely drastic, it feels like I'm actually digesting my esophagus but as soon as I pop one, the pain is gone in seconds. Usually when something that extreme happens, something's fucked up, at least from what little I know.

>>35656227
Gastritis sounds quiet possible, if grains are a main perpetrator.

>>35656239
This sounds very informative, however, and seems to hit the nail right on the head. Thanks a lot for the information, I'll try to keep this in mind and adjust my diet until I meet up with my doctor and hopefully I'll be able to at least minimize it back to how it used to be.
>>
most likely its an peptic ulcer on the stomach, anon.
the most common cause is infection by H. pylori(which is treated with antibiotics) or cronic usage of non steroidal anti-inflamatory drugs.
Could be zollinger-ellison syndorme too, but it's very rare.
Sorry for my bad english, i'm a brazillian medical student.
>>
File: wp_ss_20150818_0001.png (180 KB, 414x398) Image search: [Google]
wp_ss_20150818_0001.png
180 KB, 414x398
>>35656079
It's simple chemistry, you poor helpless bastard. Excess acid causes the heartburn, therefore, you should be eating things that are more basic like milk, yogurt, or diluted soap.
>>
>>35656401
Kek'd at the soap
>>
>>35656401
Not actually true in all situations. Take my example above sometimes adding dairy to sugars or grains make the situation worse, despite being a base.

Also stomach acid is often not triggered by digested acidic foods. Although sometimes stomach acid can be temporarily halted by consuming basics.
>>
your liver is probably fucked. do you drink? you have hepatitis? are you getting any digestion issues? if you answered yes to any of these, you're probably going to die. rip.
>>
>>35656270
Happy to help, brother
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.