[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/, Pretty new to working out. Started on New Years and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: SL5.jpg (481 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
SL5.jpg
481 KB, 600x849
Hey /fit/,

Pretty new to working out. Started on New Years and I've been doing StrongLifts 5x5, but I had a question about it that my friends haven't been able to give me a clear answer to.

I've been sticking exactly to the program, and I've made pretty solid progress so far (Good for 16 days I think). But I feel like my arms and calves aren't really getting that good of a workout.

My chest has been really sore lately, my back has been sore, legs, butt, and pretty much everything but my arms and calves.

The Stronglift website says:

"One, your biceps works hard when doing heavy Barbell Rows. Two, your triceps works hard when pressing heavy (bench, overhead). Three, you’re holding the bar on each exercise, squeezing it hard during heavy weights. So your arms will get tons of direct and indirect work to get bigger."

and

"Squats and Deadlifts will work your calves."

Obviously this guy knows more than me but I just haven't been feeling it in these muscles.

That's why I'm coming to you guys. Could someone here that has experience with StrongLifts tell me if they made arm/calf progress while running this program? Do I need to do supplemental exercise for those muscles? Am I maybe doing the exercises wrong? I realize that calves are hard to grow in size but I'd still like to make strength progress.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
>>
>he fell for the "compound lifts" meme
>>
>>35644845
lmao that squat picture.
>bar way behind feet at the top
welcome to snap city, enjoy your stay
>>
You can do some of the supplemental workouts they recommend with it, but I wouldn't do more than one per workout. For instance, I do barbell curls one day and planks the next
>>
>>35644864
What's wrong with SL 5x5? Like I said I'm new so I'm open to advice.

>>35644966
I just googled StrongLifts because I didn't know what picture to use.

>>35645000
Awesome, I'll start integrating those then. Thanks!
>>
>>35644845

add dips on one day and chin ups on second day. Stick to the program.
>>
>>35644845
Just do some curls and tricep pressdowns on A and some calf raises on B. Neither one will stall your progress. It's not like mehdi is gonna come to your gym and kick your ass.
>>
>>35645137
Awesome thanks

>>35645148
Haha yeah I wasn't worried about breaking the program I was more worried about there being an actual reason to not add exercises that I didn't know about. Thanks!
>>
Add excesory lifts

Chin ups and barbell curls are good for arms

I never trained calves since I always liked mine but you could always do some calf rises with a barbel
>>
>>35644864
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>35645198
Also your calves likely won't get significantly larger from squats and deathlifts. I squat 410 and pull 535 and my calves look like shit because I never train them enough. Train your calves if you want them to look good.
>>
>>35645282
Yeah I have pretty solid calves already (I play a lot of sports) and I already know from my friends that I shouldn't expect a lot of growth.

But you say not to expect growth from squats and deadlifts, can you suggest some exercises to train my calves?
>>
As said I would add dips to workout A and dips to B. Also I think doing some core work the 1st and last workout of the week will assist as you begin to hit heavier weights. Don't over do it but a few sets of say hanging leg lifts, NS sit-ups and/or a plank exercise such as Spider-Man's or medicine ball roll outs/ins help later
>>
>>35645339
Derp that was suppose to be chins to workout B not another set of dips.
>>
>>35645282
>deathlifts
>>
>>35645314
I understand a mix of standing and seated calf raises is best, and that most people respond to high rep ranges more (20-30 reps).
>>
Medhi describes how to add dips and chin ups to the program, just follow that
>>
>>35644845
Stick to the program OP. your still early in the game.

Just be sure to focus on your form and eat well.
>>
>>35645245
>excesory
>>
>>35644845
Goddamn that graphic is so shitty
>>
>>35645339
Awesome thanks for the advice thanks!

>>35645368
I'll try both and see which one works. Thanks!

>>35645377
I'll look into that, thanks!

>>35645384
My partner is pretty experienced and he's been checking my form. Thanks for the advice!
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.