[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does my squat suck so horribly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7
File: squat webm.webm (2 MB, 368x656) Image search: [Google]
squat webm.webm
2 MB, 368x656
Help /fit/, I've watched every fucken squat form video on youtube but my squats just still sucks.

I can do 130 kg / 285 lbs deadlift for 5 reps but I struggle to do 1pl8 squats.

From what I understand they use pretty much the same muscles so it just doesn't make sense to me. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>35641398
I DL and Squat 2 pl8s, but can't go higher than that dunno why.
>>
Why do you lean forward so much in the begining ?
>>
I dunno if it'll help you b/c you have longer legs than me, but if my legs are too far apart like in the webm, my working weight drops by like 20 lbs
>>
>>35641398
it's because you're doing them really slow.. be confident and quick
>>
>>35641461
I'm trying to get my hips back, I watched some alan thrall video that said that you should imagining sitting down in a chair when you're doing low bar. Maybe I'm taking it too far?
>>
stop giving robin thicke lapdances and you're good to go
>>
>>35641398
>>35641398
dl are supposed to work primarily the glutes and hams, squats the quads.
you are buttwinking like a motherfucker btw. look up alan thrall's vids about squats and buttwink on youtube. i'd recommend to do the squat progression for lifters with weak mobility he lays out in one of the vids. (and do it like he said, don't squat heavy after just one or two workouts. correct your form, then and only then continue with heavy squat progression.)
>>
>>35641398

You have very long legs, not the best proportions for squats. Putsome small plates under your heels and see how it goes and if it helps and you like it get some weightlifting shoes.
They are a blessing for lanky and unflexible ppl
>>
>>35641563
thanks friend, solid advice
>>
>>35641398
They dont look THAT bad, desu. Some buttwink,yes, but you are probably not that flexible and your femurs are long as all hell.

Also; skinny. Eat more food and you'll gain more muscles .

Also: Get some better lifting shoes, they will help you with mobility.
Try starting the squat by forcing your knees out, instead of pushing your ass back.
>>
>>35641398
You're going deeper than your flexibility allows, taking tension off the hamstrings. Stick your ass out more at the bottom and, when you can't go any deeper and feel a huge stretch, use that hamstring stretch like a rubber band to bounce you out of the hole.
>>
>>35641398
No offense but I wouldn't think you could do much more than 1pl8 just looking at your legs. Eat more.
>>
>>35641398
>>35641563
>>35641604
this is the video i meant:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvGr7wXQfwE
>>
File: Image75.gif (14 KB, 456x259) Image search: [Google]
Image75.gif
14 KB, 456x259
>>35641398
hate to break it to ya man, but like me, your anthropometry (relative limb lengths) is all wrong for squats. you'll never be that great at them, but you can always still improve them.

actively focus on keeping the bar over midfoot. it's coming forward on you at the bottom
>>
>>35641709
he has more of a problem with limb lengths than mobility.

OP - go post your video on Rippetoe's Q&A forum. he'll help you. honestly. startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forum129/
>>
>>35641398
You look like a fucking queer when you squat. Don't strut like that.
>>
>>35641714
also, your back is probably too extended. the bar forward of midfoot from the very start.
>>
File: 1452029868748.jpg (56 KB, 340x565) Image search: [Google]
1452029868748.jpg
56 KB, 340x565
>>35641741
go jack off or something, you have no use here
>>
>>35641714
>>35641714
niggs got some long fucking femurs
>>
>>35641398
you hyperextend the shit out of your back when you go down, stop doing that.
>>
>>35641398
you have terrible ankle mobility and hamstring flexibility
>>
>>35641398
Mash and stretch hip flexors and soleus muscles or however you spell it (in between calf and ankle. I suck at squatting but suck less at DLing too and doing this helped.
>>
>>35641732
but shouldn't the raised heel and mobility improvement help with this problem? i think this or a wider stance is the only possibilty to squat deep enough with heavy weight if someone has long femurs, isn't it?
>>
>>35641398
Try using the lowbar position instead the highbar position. Your stance looks fine. Also invest in some only shoes.
>>
File: a.jpg (38 KB, 350x666) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
38 KB, 350x666
>>35641398
switch to front squats, it's much safer for people with your proportions and throw in some lunges
>>
>>35641519
from this angle it looks like the bar is high on your back and you are doing high bar, not low bar. The low bar position sits below the traps and uses the rear delts to support the bar. It looks like you are trying to do a low bar squat in a high bar position.
>>
File: her legs>chestbrahs.jpg (54 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
her legs>chestbrahs.jpg
54 KB, 960x720
>>35641398
>>35641714
>tfw long legs crew
>>
>>35641398
try breaking at the knees first then sitting back
>>
>>35642159
no. this is the opposite of what you should do
>>
Main problem is that you've misinterpreted the "hips back" que.

You're not supposed to move your ass backwards by arching your lower back, like you're doing. If you sit back into a squat you will have to lean forward more. You're trying to keep your torso upright and move your hips back, which arches your lower back, killing your core strength.
>>
>>35642006
yeah, it def helps
>>
>>35641767
I'm telling him what he's doing wrong. You're posting retarded meme images.
>>
>>35641398
DO NOT SIT BACK
I repeat
DO NOT
SIT BACK
'Throw' your hip a bit back, a bit, almost not, and then sit down, so that the weight gets carried also to your hams.
What you are doing now is, basically, sitting way to back, removing any possible leverage and so the weight is carried by... well, nothing, basically.
>>
>>35642197
yep. not bracing properly.
>>
File: Tight-Psoas-back-pain.jpg (124 KB, 497x317) Image search: [Google]
Tight-Psoas-back-pain.jpg
124 KB, 497x317
>>35641846
>>35641906
These are basically the only decent replies from OP through them, so here:

That form is leading with ass, which is a huge no-go. The back should be straight.

You should practice without weights for some reps until you can get it down, and stretch if you can't. For the record, learning to properly set the shoulders and hips should make lifting much more comfortable. It's as simple as rotating palms and forearms forward, and the shoulders should naturally open up and can come back effortlessly. The same is true for legs and hips.

> >>35642197
>>
>>35642326
Also, video
https://youtu.be/eb4rKCM3BKM?t=2m28s
>>
>>35642326
no, those posts are pointless because we still don't know if he's trying to low bar or high bar squat or wtf he's trying to do. giving him any advice without figuring that out first is just stupid.
>>
>>35642361
The bar is on top of his traps. What are you on about?

>Y-you're legs are too long to squat
Fuckoff.
>>
>>35641398
I'm not saying it will increase your squat, but you have a pretty bad buttwink which you will need to get rid of to avoid inuring your back. Trust me on this one I squatted a lot of weight with butt wink and now my lumbar spine is fucked.
>>
>>35641398
You seem to be doing a hybrid low bar / high bar squat stance (your stance is too narrow while the bar placed low). Pick one and work on it.

You are focusing too much on extending your lumber spine instead of hinging at the hips. "Butwink". Just focus on keeping your entire spine neutral. Even your cervical.
>>
>>35642502
>the bar placed low
See >>35642478
>>
>>35641398
Mobility you idiot
>>
>>35641398
Hey OP, I am having/had similar problems. I'm also a tall skellington man with long af legs. Here are some things I've been trying to work on:

>Keeping the bar in one place.
>You should feel your core and hams engaged.
>HIP DRAHV on the way up.

I am still mystified as to how to perfect it but I'm making some small gains. I pulled my MDL at 190lbs 6 months ago and have been trying to get this shit down perfectly since then, my working weight with (what seems like) good form is now 160. Just keep at it broheim, remember that the numbers mean nothing if your form is wrong.
>>
>>35642192
he's doing squat mornings because he's shoving his ass back then breaking at the knees if you think his form is perfect then yeah he should do the opposite of my advice
>>
File: download.jpg (4 KB, 295x171) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4 KB, 295x171
>>35641398
This guy again
>>
Try placing some weights under your heel. It helps for people with long legs . Femanon.
>>
>>35642326
>>35642502
>>35642050
I'm actually trying to do low bar, I guess I'm having the bar too high on my traps
>>
>>35643741
Stretch you mong, and sit the bar on your rear delts if you are doing low bar
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.