[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Starting Strength a meme? Am I wasting my time as a novice?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129 KB, 1440x1080
Is Starting Strength a meme? Am I wasting my time as a novice? I just want to be swole and strong
>>
Yes, so are squats and deadlifts
>>
File: 1325302219119.jpg (147 KB, 754x500) Image search: [Google]
1325302219119.jpg
147 KB, 754x500
SS is a meme is a meme. (is a meme, is a meme, is a meme....)

>If you want to look like a bodybuilder, that's fine with me. That is a matter for you to discuss with your God and your psychologist. But even a bodybuilder is a novice strength trainee until he's an intermediate. The fastest way to gain muscular bodyweight -- the supposed goal of a bodybuilder -- is with a linear progression on the basic barbell exercises. And 5s are the way this progression works best.
>– Mark Rippetoe
>>
>>35640286
SS is obviously not a meme you would know this if you read the sticky
>>
>>35640303
>>35640332
>>35640336
So is it a meme or not?
>>
This guy made his living teaching the squat, so yes, it's a scam and a meme.

You want to look good so you squat at the start of every work out...? Why wouldn't you incline bench, ohp, or weighted chin?
>>
>>35640357
No it's not a meme. But everyone on this board calls everything a meme, and they need a filter to permaban anyone that says something is a meme.

>inb4 my post gets called a meme
>>
>>35640357
Its pretty meme, just look at all these memers defending it
>>
>>35640399
So what's the best routine for someone who's just starting out but is pretty weak?
>>
>>35640357
It needs more upper body even though it's a beginner routine. Honestly, I don't understand why beginners couldn't just start with a PPL routine that focuses on compounds with some accessory work. Your strength will increase as well as aesthetics.
>>
File: ss+(2016-01-14+at+05.58.24).jpg (131 KB, 505x834) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-01-14+at+05.58.24).jpg
131 KB, 505x834
>>35640286
Don't worry Spongebob, SS will make you look like this.
>>
IT'S NOT A MEME. IT'S PERFECTLY APPROPRIATE FOR SOMEONE JUST STARTING OUT WITH STRENGTH TRAINING.
>>
It might be a meme, but that doesn't mean it won't help you achieve your goals.
You say you're a novice who wants to be swole and strong. I'd say you're a good candidate for SS.
>>
File: X2-rikku-a.png (674 KB, 1000x1550) Image search: [Google]
X2-rikku-a.png
674 KB, 1000x1550
>>35640286
Yes it's a meme, you should be doing the rikku workout.
>>
>>35640444
Something from kinobody honestly. Your legs will get strong fast doing anything. When I first started lifting I wish someone would of told me how important incline bench and ohp were. Also, hopefully you have enough strength to do pullups/chins.
>>
>>35640336
Implying the sticky isn't a meme
>>
>>35640336
>kinobody
>not a meme

Pick one and only one
>>
SS and other frequent full body routines is the fastest way to gains city as a newb... period.

There is no "aesthetics" routine. There is NOTHING faster than linear progression using basic barbell lifts for a beginner. Nothing.

You're worrying about shit too much. You don't need to do this or that and only eat this and make sure you hit your macros and make sure you get all the sleep and blah blah. Just goto the gym 3x a week, eat halfway decent, follow SS and dont stop for at least 6 months. Literally every single week, 3x a week, for 6 months.

If you do that you'll be fine.
>>
>>35640399
SS includes OHP, bench and chins, you retard.
>>
>>35640570
Is this a meme post or the real deal?
>>
>>35640447
>person who didn't do the pullups and dips detected
SS has plenty of upper body. You maybe need one accessory max.
>>
>>35640585
It has you squatting at the start of every workout. You don't need to squat that much or at all. Your upper body gains are going to be shit. And it has FLAT BENCH.
>>
>>35640588
>troll detected
Fuck off to your containment board OP
>>
>>35640595
>thinking that's enough
>>
>>35640604
Your legs are your biggest muscles, you should be squatting every session, at least as a noob.
Dips, pullups, and a bench/OHP are good enough for noobs upper body. PPL should come like 6 months in
>>
Tell me how SS isn't outdated. Why are we so focused on the lower body? He makes his living off of ONE lift. That's not a meme? Why waste all your energy squatting? You won't look any better.
>>
>>35640632
>thinking that's not
Half repper detected.

This program is for noobs. Most of them couldn't do a dip to save their lives.
>>
>>35640643
See >>35640638
>>
>>35640650
Enjoy your shit progress, T-Rex.
>>
>>35640662
Run out of things to say?
Looks like baby's first argument
>>
>>35640643
Are you genuinely retarded or something? SS implements all the important compound lifts. Squats, deads, bench, OHP, pullups and powercleans. If you do these exercises, you will become stronger. Hence the name of the routine being starting STRENGTH.
>>
>>35640588
Im serious. Its not difficult. Frequent full body routines + consistency. Thats all you need when you're a beginner. There is no point in micromanaging every aspect of your lifting so early on. You aren't a pro yet.
>>
>>35640662
Who said I was doing SS?
I just said it was good for noobs.
If you get t-rex mode from SS then you've been doing it way longer than 6 months. T-rex mode is a meme created by people who tried SS and never did the dips.
>>
>>35640643
>tell me why athletes like football players need lower body strength
>SS is only one lift

I hate you go die
>>
>>35640662
Having small legs compared to a bigger upper body is way worse than having big legs and a slightly weaker upper body though. There is literally nothing more embarassing than chicken legs. Women will laugh at you, men will joke that you were skipping leg day and everyone assumes you are a curlbro.

Meanwhile If you have slightly stronger legs than the rest of your body, people will just assume you are an athlete who trains for a sport.
>>
>>35640674
No point in arguing. You're going to keep thinking 3x week and the clear lack of volume is enough for noobs. It's a shit routine.
>>
>>35640705
pretty much this, also. Athletes have strong legs. The purpose of the routine is to be strong. Put 2 and 2 together mongoloids.
>>
Alright I'll just keep doing SS, hope it's not an actual meme six months from now
>>
>>35640702
We all want to look good and be strong. athletes do more than fullbody usually. Your legs being your biggest muscles isn't an excuse to squat frequently. Upper body will always lag in comparison to your legs, thus it needs more attention.
>>
>>35640728
Whatever you say curlbro
Keep neglecting your biggest muscles.
You're probably a fat fuck troll who never read the sticky anyway
>>
>>35640728
I literally IS enough for noobs. Who the fuck are you and why do you think your shitty opinion matters more than a professional strength coach? And I dont even like that mother fucker but the fact remains

FREQUENT FULL BODY ROUTINES ARE THE FASTEST WAY OF PROGRESSION FOR NEW LIFTERS

Its a god damn fact you idiot.
>>
>>35640750
>Your legs being your biggest muscles isn't an excuse to squat frequently.
It literally is you retard
>>
File: image (3).jpg (12 KB, 199x200) Image search: [Google]
image (3).jpg
12 KB, 199x200
>>35640303
>>
>>35640750
Ok thanks for your uninformed opinion based on personal observations and subjective ideas.
>>
File: 2014-11-07.png (249 KB, 368x425) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-07.png
249 KB, 368x425
>>35640508
ayy what
>>
>>35640508
Omg
>20 squats x5 (90)
First thing I read and I'm already dying
>>
You will get a lot stronger with SS but it isn't a routine that will necessarily help with aesthetics
>>
>>35640909
It should only be your first 6 months of lifting. Nobody is going to go from slob/skelly to pure zyzz mode in 6 months no matter what their routine is. SS is meant to build a foundation so your next program is successful. That's why SS is god tier
>>
>>35640705
>Having small legs compared to a bigger upper body is way worse than having big legs and a slightly weaker upper body though. There is literally nothing more embarassing than chicken legs. Women will laugh at you, men will joke that you were skipping leg day and everyone assumes you are a curlbro.
Reality isn't like online fitness forums. Outside of the fitness community, nobody gives a single fuck about your legs.
>>
What is SS?
>>
>>35640403
Meme creep detected
>>
>>35640286
>Strength ~6months
>Cut
>Size ~6months
>Cut

Depending on how much fat you have from the beginning and how much fat you add during the bulking phase this will take you around 1.5y - 2y and then you will look decent. There is more than one way to do it but this worked for me.
>>
>>35642943
and to add to that if you start out fat like I did you add a cut before going on SS/SL or a similar program.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.