[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
swimming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: swimming.jpg (2 MB, 4480x2656) Image search: [Google]
swimming.jpg
2 MB, 4480x2656
Hey /fit/, I really want to get into swimming, and I was wondering if you guys have any good swimming regimens or programs for a beginner. I know how to swim and everything, I just want to be able to swim competitively and have no problem.
Thanks
>>
jump in and swim around
>>
>>35619076
0-1650
>>
Join a swim club. Jesus. Is it that hard?
>>
former college swimmer here

if you are past puberty you will never have a beautiful swim stroke, it's too late to become "a swimmer" for you. Little kids who have been swimming from child will lap your slow ass for years

If you are still interested, join a swim club with a coach who will give you pointers on your stroke. Getting fast in swimming, especially for a beginner, mostly depends on your technique until you get it right

In conclusion, give up and do something else. I cringe when I see shitty swim strokes.
>>
>>35619377
that isn't an option, see I will be joining a swimming team within the near future, and that is why I need to get in the right shape for it now
nice dubs
>>
>>35619519
t-thanks for the advice
>>
>>35619335
>0-1650
thanks, seems pretty solid
>>
>>35619537

kek, okay for real advice, if you are going to get into it, go all in. Join a club and commit to 5 swims a week (once you can handle that load without wrecking your shoulders). Half-assing it will get you nowhere. You need to hit a threshold of hours invested before you will get those technique gains.

Swimming is great to get into, but only if you give it the time it deserves. Good luck! Once you get in a bunch of base training I would recommend doing some open water swims, probably the ones that are about a mile to start with. I no longer train competitively but I love open water swims once or twice a year.
>>
File: 1447797603426.jpg (527 KB, 1075x1800) Image search: [Google]
1447797603426.jpg
527 KB, 1075x1800
My best advice would be to get at least a 1month swimimng classes and work on your technique and if possible join the swimming team right away, you'll learn far more with people around you and a real coach than by yourself in a public pool. Sure you'll get rekt by the rest of the people in the begining but it doesn't matter.

I learned to swim about a year ago and four months ago I joined my local swimming team, I went from going two times a week and swim just 1 hour per day to going 5 days a week two hours per day and the transition was like a bucket of cold water. The first 3 weeks where insane since the level was too much for me, I was used to swim 1500m a day in my trainings and those guys where swimming almost 5500m in two fucking hours. After the first month it all went uphill, I've gotten better but still not as good as they are but nevertheless I enjoy it, and I've learned A LOT from them. When you swim with other people around it gets more competitive and fun and you feel the urge to keep up with your lanes partners even if you feel like shit.

Dont think too much about it and just do it and give it a try, good luck breh.

>>35619519
Yeah but not really, if you commit to it you'll eventually git gud. I've seen people who start to swim when they're 28 or older and it takes about two or three years to be in a decent competitive level. Obviously, as you said, they where the kind of people who went to the pool 2hours a day for 4 or 5 days a week and joined a legit club with a proper coach and everything.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.