[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>driving manual after a heavy squat day
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9
File: miata.png (1 MB, 750x1009) Image search: [Google]
miata.png
1 MB, 750x1009
>driving manual after a heavy squat day
>>
>>35608298
Oh fuck you I know how this feels and sucks so much. Especially since my m3 has a racing clutch, and is heavy as fuck. Fuuuuuuuuck.
>>
why don't americans drive manual?
>>
>>35608298
>when you drive an automatic after driving your car

>stamp on empty pedal when braking
>>
File: 72105322.jpg (79 KB, 970x631) Image search: [Google]
72105322.jpg
79 KB, 970x631
>>35608351
I've heard it's because our country is so vast that automatics became popular for road trips. Although that doesn't really make sense to me because when I road trip I just throw it in the top gear and put cruise control on.

Although, have you ever seen New York traffic? I don't know what traffic is like in European cities, but I have never regretted a manual more than when I was stuck in Chicago traffic for 3 hours.
>>
>>35608455
still doesn't really make sense to me. driving in london is an effing nightmare as well but automatics are rare in britain. desu i don't really know anything about automatics or even manuals, dunno the pros or cons or anything.
>>
>>35608298
I find it worse after a back day.
>>
>driving manual after hitting calves
its legit fucking dangerous.

>putting your seatbelt on after hitting chest
if only the buckle didn't rest at shoulder height. god damn.
>>
>>35608322
ive got a e39 m5 with the same thing. fucking unreal.
>>
>still getting debilitating doms
>>
It's just more convenient to drive automatic. I know how to drive a stick, but I see no use for it in everyday driving. You can get slightly better fuel mileage if you're good at it. Obviously it's better if you're driving for performance, but how often do you get to do that? Most autos built in the last 5 years offer paddle shifting anyway.
>>
>>35608879
I have a WRX and the '14 didn't come in automatic. Even if it did, subaru CVT is dogshit.

But I do agree with you. In a perfect world, on nicer cars, I'd take an automatic for DD and a manual for my track car.
>>
>>35608879
>>35608935
how do the prices of the two types compare in general?
>>
>>35608964
Manual is pretty much always cheaper but it's a negligible difference.
>>
>>35608964
If you have two of the exact same cars, the manual tends to be cheaper because it's simpler and cheaper to manufacture.

Often in the American market though, due to the unpopularity of manuals, the only manual option you'll find is in the more expensive performance model.

08+ Civics are rare in manual but all the Si models are manual obviously. But the Si is a more expensive trim.
>>
>>35608351
Because Americans invented the automatic.
>>
>>35608996
>>35609001
cheers lads. i'll stick to manual then lol
>>
>>35608879

>You can get slightly better fuel mileage if you're good at it.

That actually hasn't been true for years. Pretty much any new automatic is going to get better gas mileage than their manual counterparts.
>>
>>35609049
Interesting to know, thanks for the info
>>
>>35609049
Thats false. Automatics add a lot of weight compared to manual. It really comes down to the gear ratios which is a crap shot but EPA ratings often put a manual as better than an automatic.
>>
File: frink.png (41 KB, 160x324) Image search: [Google]
frink.png
41 KB, 160x324
>>35608996
>>35608964
cheaper when you buy the car and then 0 maintenance unless you drive hard and require a new clutch (which is still pretty cheap).

>>35609049
>>35609064
no manual is always better MPG because you can never disengage an automatic from the engine unless you're putting it into neutral so there's always resistance. even if your car is fancy enough for "economic" and "sport" modes.
>>
>>35608298

>leg day so hard! xDD

Literally buzzfeed
>>
>>35609308
>no manual is always better MPG because you can never disengage an automatic from the engine unless you're putting it into neutral so there's always resistance. even if your car is fancy enough for "economic" and "sport" modes.

If you think mpg is determined by resistance when at a standstill... I feel bad for you son.

See
>>35609304
I could post plenty of links showing examples of both, but Im not that autistic, just autistic enough to respond.
>>
>>35609362
>neutral
>standstill

son?
>>
>>35609383
>splitting hairs

Learn how a torque converter works and you'll understand.

rollin for pushups to get back to /fit/
>>
>>35609406
>torque converter
you think this negates resistance like a clutch?
>>
>Riding your motorcycle after hitting forearms
>>
the owner of that car deserves to be lynched

>hurr muh enthusiasts dont hate everyones enjoying their shit

No. Fuck that gay shit. Shitty style all around.
>>
>>35608358
every fucking time
>>
Nearly fuckin crashed one time, had a muscle spasm on the accelerator going into a roundabout.
>>
>>35611805
Automatic is the American lifestyle
>>
>>35608964
Manual usually cheaper. Parts for manual a lot cheaper.
>>
>>35608935
Idk im enjoying my 15 wrx cvt pretty well desu
>>
>>35609049
This is bullshit by the way, when they test the mpg for manual they're not allowed to hyper-mile
>>
>>35608298
If you don't know how to shift gears, you don't know how to drive.
>>
>>35608455
It's because American culture embraces laziness.
If there's a way to reduce the effort required for a task, Americans will find it.
>>
File: image_3.jpg (53 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
image_3.jpg
53 KB, 900x900
>>35612133
>getting an automatic performance car

Even if it's your DD, if you're set on an auto, just get a fucking corolla
>>
>>35612149

>implying you can outshift a modern multi-clutch box

nigger unless you're racing regularly on tracks the current generation of auto boxes are better than a manual box.
>>
>>35609049
New automatics are optimized for the fuel efficiency tests, while manuals have to stick to a shifting pattern from the '70s (30 mph in 3rd gear, WTF).

So they'll be more economical on paper, but not in the hands of a competent driver who cares about efficiency.
>>
>>35612161
>hurr straight line acceleration is the only fun thing about driving.

Enjoy having to brake into a stop when a manual can just downshift
>>
>>35608498
Manuals have better fuel efficiency and need less servicing.
Automatics are easier to drive at the slight expense of fine control over speed
>>
>>35608498
automatics are for people who want to drive a car.
manual is for people who want something to feel superior about.
>>
>>35608358
>being so bad at reading traffic that you need to react on impulse
>>
>>35612173

>racing always means drag

America pls go
>>
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 250x250
>>35608298
>led lightbar on anything that isn't a jeep or truck
>>
>>35612518
There is no way an auto can out shift a manual on a track.
>>
>>35612642

The only reasons you use a manual over auto are:

>cheap
>durability

That's it. A decent straight cut box will outlast anything else, but an auto will always shift faster - bear in mind modern paddle controlled boxes are technically autos, and can be used in 'manual' mode.

The only thing that's going to shift faster than a modern autobox is an air shifted sequential, and those are pretty much only useful in drag racing.
>>
>>35612143
That theory wouldn't explain why Americans have a high level of productivity (though decreasing a bit).
>>
>tfw uncircumcised American driving a manual
>>
>>35612742
It's not about how fast you shift, it's about when and which way you shift. For now humans have a much better idea on how to do this in racing.
>>
>>35608298
>>35608322

>they dont squat everyday
>>
>>35612742
>coming into turn
>hurr shift up a gear
>brake jnto turn
>downshift 50 feet later

Determining what gear to be in only based off of one variable, RPMs, is less efficient than basing your gear off of RPMs, upcoming hills/turns.
>>
Because automatic needs more money and less neurons.

Americans don't give a fuck about pollution therefore
>>
File: tammy.jpg (156 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
tammy.jpg
156 KB, 960x960
>>35613047
>I hate Americans for meme reasons
>>
>>35612925
>>35612900

>not reading the post
>>
>>35613047

Well, I think its because its easier for most folks.

Mind you, I like manuals more, but dumbing something down makes it easier to use.

Imagine a microwave that required you to use a fucking clutch in order to shift into different temperature settings.

Imagine one that doesn't.

Which one sells more?
>>
>>35608351
too complicated
>>
>>35612408
actually it's;
>automatic is for people who want to travel somewhere, manual is for people who want to drive
>>
File: image.jpg (257 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
257 KB, 640x480
>Tfw import 2000 Subaru Forester
Sti
>Tfw only sold as automatics and have to tranny swap it
Pic related, feelsbadman
>>
>>35608322
Hurr hurr look at me my bmw has a EXTRA SPECIAL racing clutch hurrrrr I'm so fast in it hurrr HURRRR!!
>>
> ride motorcycle give from gym
> roll up to stop light and put foot down
> fall and crushed to death

You got it easy homie
>>
>>35609304
Jokes on you faggot. 6 speed automatics are much more efficient then a manual driver could ever hope to be.
>>
File: 1423534698599.jpg (20 KB, 329x357) Image search: [Google]
1423534698599.jpg
20 KB, 329x357
>>35608351
>be american
>drive manual
>never have to worry about car being stolen
>>
>>35613380
>shifting speed
>mattering day to day driving or amateur track racing.
>>
>>35609304
>Automatics add a lot of weight compared to manual.
Not any more. That used to be true but they are probably within 10 or so pounds. Going back to the 90s the 4l60 is about 120 while the t-5 of similar capacity is about 100lbs. Auto's have even gotten lighter in comparison.

>>35609308
>cheaper when you buy the car
not any more, manuals are rare, so cost is more as there is less volume (often)
>no manual is always better MPG because you can never disengage an automatic from the engine unless you're putting it into neutral so there's always resistance.
learn how a car works. If you are getting better mpg with a manual its because less power is lost in that drivetrain. unless you are at a stop your car should be in gear, In a modern car if your foot is not on the accelerator then the engine is not getting any fuel, so this engagement you speak of would not matter

>>35612173
>Enjoy having to brake into a stop when a manual can just downshift
why wouldn't i just hit the minus button on my steering wheel?

an electronically controlled auto can shift faster than most people, a DCT can shift faster than any human.
>>
>>35612173
Great idea. Instead of putting the wear on a small, cheap part that's designed for it, put it on a large, ridiculously expensive part.
>>
>>35613588
if you are die how you post here?

no i think not
>>
>>35613769
This lmao, the only excuse you have on a public road to use engine breaking in excess like that is when driving down a mountain or in snowy slick conditions where you'll be going less than 30mph at all times.
>>
>>35613769
what is rev matching

>>35613827
it is safer to always have your car in gear, in some areas its actually the law, unenforceable, but still the law
>>
Driving stick is fun as fuck, how do you not like it?
>>
>>35612234
well manuals can have better fuel economy if you short shift, but we all know thats not fun and my straight piped acura sounds good so i let her roar any chance i get
>>
I always drive manually, not because I think it's superior, but simply because pretty much 100% of all cars here (Germany) are manual. If you decide to stick with automatics, you are unable to drive practically 100% of all cars here. Almost nobody here bothers with automatics, and I really don't know why. Never drove automatic and seriously only sat in one single automatic car ever. It's just how it is.
>>
>>35613841
>>35613745
your car can still be in gear and disengaged from the engine. that's the point being made.
>>
Can confirm. My Mustang's last owner put a fucking stiff ass clutch in it to hold all of it's lol 260hp. Get mad calf jitters so bad I can barely back it out of the parking space without stalling it
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.