[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Martial Arts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3
File: mac's sweet moves.gif (1 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
mac's sweet moves.gif
1 MB, 320x240
Sup /fit/, I'm picking up Aikido and boxing soon and I'm wondering what's the best workout I can do in between classes to maximize my gains?

Also, are handwrap gloves or traditional boxing gloves better for hitting a punching bag?
>>
>>35602613
bump for interest
>aikido is shit tho, stop being a fedora-tier edgelord
>>
cardio
>>
>>35603173
Care to explain your thesis there, anon? Just saying, my dad's a 4th degree black belt and he said aikido's a pretty good style
>>
>>35603264
boy i wonder why the fuck the guy who's a 4th degree black belt in a style thinks that that style is a good style

i fucking wonder
>>
>>35603264
well demonstrations are staged, while there are some useful techniques in it you could get better training by doing jiu jitsu ( the japanese one if you're interested in traditional shit ), not bjj since it's retarded too, or you could judo or wrestling.

any of the three are good for grappling, the latter 2 especially, but japanse jiu jitsu has some weapons training and other tricks that you might find in aikido.

also boxing is better than all of them in terms of physical/fitness training and its better on da streetz
>>
>>35603386
>demonstrations and takedowns*
>>
Aikido is one of the least useful styles of martial arts ever anon. Not trying to troll you here, but seriously.
>>
>Doing Aikido
>Doing martial arts

pick 1
>>
>>35603264

>Care to explain your thesis there

It isn't a thesis you fedora wearing faggot.

The best aikido "martial artists" out there would get wrecked by an average varsity level high school wrestler.
>>
>>35603386
I heard that boxing with wraps and gloves doesn't prepare your hands for bare knuckle fighting, and that you're likely to break your hands/wrists in a street fight. Is this a myth?
>>
>>35603471
the wraps stop your wrist from twisting and the gloves stop your knuckles from getting damaged so if you bare knuckle punch a dude in the face the bones in his head are gonna fuck up your hand if you're not careful, punch them with the first two knuckles on your fist. Those are the toughest.
>>
>>35603471
just to be sure punch a wall with maximum strength every day for 500 times with each hand that way you'll be prepared.

don't stop if you start bleeding, hearing bones crack and especially if you fell like you fractured you wrists and bone hands, thats the sensation you fell when your hands become conditioned
>>
I took Aikido.

I didn't do it because I wanted to get tough or be able to kick people's asses. I did it because I killed somebody once, a long time ago, and I needed some peace.

Aikido is less of a martial art and more of a therapy. I found it useful. But after I found myself no longer getting angry or sad at a drop of a pin, I decided to get into Taekwondo.
>>
>>35603643
> Tries to save himself by saying that he changed martial arts.
> Taekwondo
> 2nd most faggiest martial art out there

Aikido and now taekwondo. Are you purposefully trying to get 0 respect?
>>
>>35603469
A) calling someone a fedora fag for asking a simple question doesn't make you sound smarter
>>35603421
>>35603386
B) The same can be said of almost any martial arts style, it really depends on what you do with it. I'm learning aikido mostly for the footwork, the boxing is to make up for any of the drawbacks
>>35603295
C) dad's 4th degree in Kyokushin, completely different style. I figure if it's not his discipline and he's still endorsing it, then he might be onto something
>>
>>35603386
>bjj is shit
lol go to a local academy and challenge a blue belt u dumb nigger
>>
>>35603811
BJJ is garbage. Some guy tried to lock me into an armbar. I twisted my arm and pinched his balls until he screamed like a little girl.
Instructor came and asked what the fuck I was doing. I said "self defense".
He threw me out.
>>
>>35602613
>>35603264
Ex blue belt here . aikido is the biggest meme keyboards of them all . the entire system works as long as you are way faster than your opponent . then again its directed more into getting out from simple grabs rather then punches and kicks. To make it short aikido is a good material art against other aikido cucks but will fall short against somebody who can throw a punch. I was doing boxing for many years 2 and if you want to do some food sparing just stuck to it.
>>
>>35603788
I would highly argue about efficiency of a style that doesn't allow punches in the head and below belt
>>
>>35603643
Walking dead gtfo
>>
>>35603471
wraps keep your hand bones in place so they don't rattle around and get damaged. Gloves protect your knuckles and your opponent. Bareknuckle fighters relied more on bodyshots than KOs because your head is a big strong bone that can stand more punishment than your fists. If you punch someone in the head with your bare fist, you will get hurt too. The torso is soft though
>>
>>35604038
Kyokushin is not about being efficient, it's about leaving humanity behind
They allow kicks to the head because it's more badass
>>
>>35604212
So does tkd ,but you can also punch in the face. Both are a joke desu karate bit more
>>
>>35604233
In TKD you score points by touching your opponent.
In Kyokushin you score points by knocking him down.
Bit of a difference.
>>
>>35602613
A lifting program is going to affect your martial arts mostly in a negative way

You'll find that most of the workouts the martial arts fags do are cardio. I'm just starting boxing and it's fucking up my lifts big time, not sure what to do either
>>
>>35604233
Just put a TKD blackbelt and a Kyokushin Blackbelt in a cage and see what happens.

I do kyokushin and I've done a few classes of TKD and man the endurance and toughness you get in Kyokushin puts TKD to shame
>>
>>35602613
Handwraps are necessary either way. You should wear both.
>>
>>35603295
boy i wonder why the fuck someone who has zero worthwhile experience feels he's qualified to comment on the validity of martial arts

way to avoid the question bro
>>
>>35604185
this

before the use of gloves there were fewer deaths in boxing because they'd punch the head much less.
>>
File: 1404971193920.jpg (242 KB, 625x726) Image search: [Google]
1404971193920.jpg
242 KB, 625x726
>>35603471
>that you're likely to break your hands/wrists in a street fight

You're likely to break your hands/wrists in a street fight either way, plus a bunch of other bones. You'll probably get a concussion and/or go in to a coma and die if you go looking for street fights.

You're stupid if you're trying to prepare for street fights through martial arts rather than doing the smart thing and avoiding situations that will put you in a street fight, and carrying a gun if you can't.

tl;dr here's a greentext
>you train for years in a striking art to prepare yourself for street fights
>a nigger disrespects you/your girl so you confidently challenge him to a fight knowing you have years more experience than him
>you square up and prepare to kick his ass
>his buddy hits you in the back of the head with a lead pipe
>you go to the ground
>a dozen niggers begin kicking and punching you
>one pulls out a knife and stabs you multiple times
>as you bleed to death you see the niggers begin to rape your girlfriend

Just avoid fights and carry a concealed firearm. Learn to keep your distance so they can't take it from you and shoot you with it.
>>
>>35604486
>avoiding situations that will put you in a street fight
thugs can target anyone they come across. To be sure to avoid being attacked I would have to stay home after 9 pm or some shit. That would kill my social life.

>and carrying a gun if you can't.
not legal in my country of residence

>a nigger disrespects you/your girl so you confidently challenge him
I don't care about "respect" from savages and I don't have a GF. It's more likely they'll beat me up as a male bonding activity and to raise their status in the group than because I provoked them.
>>
> aikido
Boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling
>>
>>35603840
Not even a fan of bjj.
But you sound like a total faggot
Not figuratively, but literally. You held a man's balls until he screamed. Pretty fucking gay
>>
>>35602613
>Aikido and boxing
Two philosophically very different styles, master one before doing both or you will confuse yourself and be good at neither.
Personally I would go for something like Jiu Jitsu which uses elements of both (if the lineage is Japanese).
Also handwrap gloves on a bag? What the fug? Just get some bag gloves! Your wrist will thank you for it and you will be able to hit the bag harder.
>>
File: 1416009735472.jpg (34 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1416009735472.jpg
34 KB, 500x500
>>35604619
>I don't care about "respect" from savages and I don't have a GF.
But I bet you have a fedora.
>>
>martial arts
Get your autistic cringe back to >>>/asp/
>>
>>35606374
more like >>>/asp/y with all this autism.
>>
Aikido really isn't about strength, so not much desu. I'd say practice sliding your feet on the ground though.
>>
>>35604342
>I'm just starting boxing and it's fucking up my lifts big time, not sure what to do either

I'm doing both and so far no problem in 3 weeks

I have my compounds at intermediate level, and I'm also cutting
I switched from 3x5 to 2x5 max weight followed by 2x20 of lightweights, it does wonders considering we do physical condition at the end of training or when you fuck up things up and you gotta do 100 push ups, jumping jacks and shit like that

one thing I've noticed though is my left shoulder gets tired earlier than supposed to but I just gotta push through the "pain" and burning
>>
>>35606584
Aikido is about circlejerking and magic pants
>>
>>35602613
I tried Aikido. Expect it to be full of weeaboos with no level of fitness whatsoever.
>>
>>35603643
Morgan pls go
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.