[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm in the military and my primary goal fitness wise is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: desktopbackground.jpg (259 KB, 2126x1495) Image search: [Google]
desktopbackground.jpg
259 KB, 2126x1495
I'm in the military and my primary goal fitness wise is to do as many push-ups/sit-ups as possible in 2 minutes and run a 2 mile as fast as I can. But I'm also trying to get back into lifting. I was thinking of doing a routine like this:

>Monday
Stronglifts Workout A
3 Mile Run
200 Sit-ups
>Tuesday
3 Mile Run
200 Push-ups
>Wednesday
Stronglifts Workout B
3 Mile Run
200 Sit-Ups
>Thursday
3 Mile Run
200 Push-Ups
>Friday
Stronglifts Workout A
3 Mile Run
200 Sit-ups
>Saturday
3 Mile Run
200 Push-ups
>Sunday
Rest

Is this doable? I've been doing just the running and the push-ups situps but I really want to get back into lifting. Will these exercises interfere with eachothers progression? In /fit/s opinion at what point (timewise) does extra daily exercise stop benefiting you?

I fully expect a bunch of >fuck you militaryfag posts but I'm willing to sift through the bullshit for any good advice
>>
>>35594273
>I'm willing to sift through the bullshit for any good advice
If anyone weren't, they wouldn't be here.
>>
Skip the sit ups, push ups, and "long" runs. It'll just interfere with your performance improvement to do so much low intensity work.

Sprint up hills or stairs for running. Add weight if it starts to get easy. Do added planks or stir the pot (google "stuart mcgill stir the pot) for ab work. For planks, try to work up one hand and one foot on the same side as far apart as possible. Sit ups are bad for your back, anyway.
>>
>>35594328
Sit-ups, push-ups, and long runs are the most essential parts of the program unfortunately. The military physical fitness test is 2 minutes sit-ups, 2 minutes push-ups, 2 mile run, so I can't really cut out those completely.
>>
>>35594343

You don't need to do those bullshit exercises to get good at them. Just do a PT test once a month to actually test your progress.
>>
>>35594343
Youre dumb dude.
>>
>>35594388
>>35594405
Do you honestly mean to tell me that 5 rep sets of bench press/OHP is the most effective way to get to 70+ sets of pushups?

Is there any evidence behind this?
>>
Denis?
>>
>>35594421
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12383074
>>
>>35594440
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12383074
That's evidence that strength training can increase endurance NOT evidence that strength training is more effective at increasing endurance than endurance training.
>>
>>35594421

Wrong. They were already endurance trained, not a sedentary population.
>>
Listen to the assholes on this board and you'll be in a remedial pt group or worse.
>>
>>35594421
Most effective? No. That'd be steroids and EPO.
>>
>>35594273
What's you Bf% like? If you can lose fat it makes bodyweight stuff a lot easier.
>>
I think 5x5 is really a bad idea, energy wise, if I were you I would do less sets and lighter weights.
>>
>>35594273
Mil-tard here.

Strength training (and good physical training in general) is completely different from PRT. PRT on paper sounds good, but in reality all it really does is get you tired and weaken your actual strength and endurance training (as executed).

That said, consider doing well on your PT tests to be a separate event from actual physical training and treat it as such.

Do your 5x5 or whatever else. 3 times a week, whenever it's convenient around life, drop down and bust out 80% of your max pushups, 80% max situps, and go for a run.

200 pushups/situps isn't going to do anything for you that doing 80%-100% of your requirements will...except hurt your lifting and other development.

Push-up and sit-ups are a horrible metric for fitness measurement.
>>
>>35594273
>purple smoke

Ha, gaaaaaay
>>
>fall for SS is all you need meme

"I don't need situps. As long as I do Ohp I'll be good."

Barely pass pt test.
>>
Fuck that pog shit they usually tell you about a pt a month or so prior so just crank em out them. Just lift man and run don't become a fatbody who can bench 400 pounds and can't run a few miles. Maybe crank out a few sets of push ups before sleeping and work your core hard durning lifting. Should be good.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.