[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are any fitizens competative endurance athletes??
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: Screenshot-1483.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-1483.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
I'm curious, i'm a highly competitive distance/mid distance runner (1600-5k, eventually up to the 10k, I'm talking under 4:20 for the mile, under 15 minutes for the 5k) and I love lifting and want to get back into it, but when I tried SS in the spring i just couldn't handle it with my full intensity distance training. I want to give it another shot, but perhaps with a more appropriate program. I want to keep squats, but the upper body lifts I got from SS were just detrimental overall. Basically, I'm looking for a program that incorporates some sorts of barbell and/or dumbbell lifts, not just machine or medicine ball work like most endurance athletes are prescribed.

t-t-thanks /fit/ i love u brehs no homo lmaoo
>>
>>35580308
Sorry a little more info, I wasn't too specific.

I want a program that incorporates barbell and dumbbell work but in a way that is more appropriate/specific to distance/mid distance running. Sort of like a middleground between SS and the typical endurance athlete lifting that I don't find helpful because it's simply too easy/unenjoyable for my liking.

m 19yo 5'9" 140-145 lbs, very low bf (10% or under certainly), 5+ years elite level running conditioning. Currently running 100+ miles per week.
>>
File: singlescull.png (3 MB, 1440x1414) Image search: [Google]
singlescull.png
3 MB, 1440x1414
Yes OP, but a little bit different than running
>>
I have no idea

Id say just do plyos or lift light, like 3x8 or 4x10 or something
>>
>>35580308
I'm a national/low international level cyclist
>>
>>35580344
>m 19yo 5'9" 140-145 lbs, very low bf (10% or under certainly), 5+ years elite level running conditioning. Currently running 100+ miles per week.
Holy shit, you make me feel badly about doing heavy cardio 3x/week (and that's all I do; I don't even lift).

Can you post a pic of your physique?
>>
For upper body I would recommend bench press, ohp, and weighted pullups/chinups.

Also I would recommend low reps and low sets.

Something like 3x3. I would do bench and ohp on same day. Then pullups and chinups in the same style the next day, then off, If you want to do squats I would recommend sub-maximal, but heavy singles, doubles and triples

But honestly, even at this rep range you'll build a lot of muscle mass over a few months especially if you're at a high level and have been intentionally maintaining a low weight.

I did this and went from 143lbs-160lbs in 5 months and only gained 2% bodyfat. Was a cyclist at about the same level you are with running and doing weeks as high as 500 miles.

Basically lifting will fuck you up if you do it hard, just from the weight gain, maybe that's just me though, I've got a big 'muscular' frame but was intentionally never using my arms for 2 years, would refuse to take in groceries that were more than a pound of bread (serious)
>>
>>35580308
If you want to remain competitive in LD running, you are better off avoiding any strength programs, period.

You don't want hypertrophy, you don't want to train type II fibers, and you don't want to max out because it will negatively impact your endurance.

I don't really see lifting being consistent with your goals, except maybe as an injury prevention mechanism.

I know for MD folks, strong finishes can help, in which case some plyo/power work is worthwhile. I have no idea whether you need to be explosive at the end of LD races, as I have little experience running or watching at those distances. As I understand it, it is more a war of attrition, and you want to be light and aerobically efficient. Weight training won't help all that much.
>>
>>35580360
US team here. Who are you?
>>
>>35580535
Which member of the national team are you?
>>
>>35580666
M2+ aka back of the bus.
>>
>tfw can only run 10km in 52 mins
How fucked am i ?
>>
>>35580931
Erick or Taylor?
>>
>>35580666
Franky?
>>
>>35580308
If you want to get stronger for just running the just do squats, DL and pull-ups, then you won't be wasting calories doing other stuff and every muscle you "need" will get trained

Use your brain
>>
>>35581015
Good to talk to you man. What are you doing on
/fit/?
>>
>>35580308
I'm no expert, but I'm fairly certain it would be hard to do both.
Obviously everyone can do cardio and be fine, but if you're doing intense, competitive running it will be hard for you to make big gains.
>>
>>35580458
This OP.
Incline bench, rows, pull-ups, push-ups. High reps. Can do some split squat, full squats too but those will only help with a kick. You're better off doing more interval and sprint training if you're looking to get faster
>>
>>35581092
lookin for sum cawk to suck
>>
>>35581092
What? You sound like Henrick or Steve.
>>
>>35580951
You are pathetic.
>>
>>35580931
whats your 2k faggot
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.