[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25
File: 1452451573515.jpg (122 KB, 999x624) Image search: [Google]
1452451573515.jpg
122 KB, 999x624
Old one killed
>>
File: Arch-Tendons.jpg (17 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
Arch-Tendons.jpg
17 KB, 450x320
My body feels weird. Sundays are my PR days and I typically go hardest then. Lately, I've noticed that my muscles are quite sore and I'm incredibly stiff and inflexible. The muscle stiffness is to be expected, but my ankles tendons (tibias posterior) are sore. Never have they ever been sore or stiff. Even going from a desk job to landscaping, I've never experienced this soreness in these odd places. What's up with that?
>>
How important is it to have fat content right in planning your meals? I have the cals and protein, but making that agree with fat is a real bitch of an arithmetic hassle.

What if I eat 40-50% of my calories in fat as opposed to 20%? Most of it is dairy fat.
>>
>>35580076
percentages don't matter. Refer to the twinkie diet for proof of this.

Just try to keep carbs lower for cutting (less than 100g if possible), good fats high (such as monounsaturated fats), and about 1g of protein per lean pound of bodyweight.
>>
>>35579859
What would be the theoretical outcome of doing exactly one cycle on steroids
>>
how long should 5x5 squat, 5x5 bench, and 5x5 barbell rows take in the gym?
>>
>>35580276
depends on how fast you do it along with 60 seconds rest in between each set
>>
I have a retard-grade question: if I lay on my back and hold a five pound weight in the air for like, five minutes, am I doing anything or just being autistic?
>>
rate my food today /fit/

1 whole wheat bagel with tbspn of peanut butter
3 cups of 2% milk
1cup (dry) brown rice
2scoops whey
1/4 box whole wheat
chicken breast
broccoli

eaten randomly throughout the day
>>
>>35580316
mean to write *whole gain pasta for those of you keeping score.
>>
>>35580105
the sticky says 1.5 grams protein for a cut. is that realistic or overkill? I'm having a hard time getting that much protein without eating JUST meat, which isn't ideal since i want my diet to include vegetables etc.
>>
>>35580333
hey im the one who posted "rate my food" what i posted above contains almost 180grams of protein. pretty simple to get 1.5 actually
>>
>>35580389
@ how many calories out of curiosity?
>>
>>35580408
this was about 2300,

If you're trying to get more protein in your diet try using a few scoops of powder, and if you like drink milk, even skimmed milk has like 7-9g protein per glass, and its super easy to drink like 4-5 throughout the day which already adds to your count. Otherwise I like to eat carbs like whole grain pasta and brown rice because they also contain a decent amount of protein and they're great to help you reach your macros.

Canned salmon is also nice.
>>
This is a dumb question and I feel like I know the answer already but are incline bench and overhead press interchangeable? Im talking at least a 45 degree incline
>>
>>35580462
>180 grams requires 2300 calories
>be me
>be skelly
>TDEE around 1940 calories
>135 pounds

I'm doomed.
>>
>>35580495
You can get 180 on 1000 cals you muppet, just choose the right sources.
>>
>>35580495
desu im about 140lbs skelly I think you can safely eat like 2100. That being said I'm lean bulking atm
>>
File: FullSizeRender 3.png (698 KB, 663x907) Image search: [Google]
FullSizeRender 3.png
698 KB, 663x907
Asked once before but got no reply, posted a thread and got sent back here, so once again:
>Weighted hamstring stretches
>Hip opening stretching
>Groin stretches
Are these enough to fix this weird hump in my lowerback, or do I need to look into PT of some sort to get a flat back? Or is this rounded part of my back just genetic?

Pic related.
>>
>>35580495
>>35580507
So you can. Two pounds of chicken and you're already at 180 g and still under 1000 calories.
>>
I have a bad case of a stomach virus and I have lost 5 pounds in the last 2 days. How much (percentage-wise) can I expect my lifts to suffer?
>>
>>35580530

could be some major scoliosis there my man

see a doc
>>
>>35580560
That's not what scoliosis is breh.
>>
How often, if ever, should I deload? Should I stick to a program for it or just deload whenever I feel like I need a break on a particular workout?
>>
>>35580560
How does it look when you're laying down flat on your stomach?
>>
Does clean bulking while lifting and doing cardio burn fat? I cut weight easy and I can put it on just as well. I'm currently DYEL that is on a cut but I feel like bulking may be a better solution from what I have been reading
>>
>>35580552
It's mostly water weight, bro. No worries.
>>
Best workouts to get rid of lanky slouch boy figure?
>>
>>35580105
>>35580333
>>35580389
>>35580408
>>35580462
>1.5g of protein per lbm
this is seriously overkill if you're just starting. If you've made it it couldn't hurt, but there's no way you actually will use all of this at this stage of your program. It's wasting protein.
>>
>>35580651
How much would you recommend?
>>
>>35580530
I'd talk to a chiropractor. I personally like ones that practice ART.

http://www.activerelease.com/providerSearch.asp
>>
How do I fix my shy bladder syndrome?
I was thinking about just going to public restrooms and "practicing".
Think that would work?
>>
>>35580749
It is what is recommended. Go for it.
>>
What calorie calculators do you nig nogs use to find your maintenance? All of them give me different numbers
>>
I lift off of the floor at home with dumbbells making it hard to do db bench with both bells at the same time. To compensate, I use both my arms to assist one dumbbell and do each at a time, given I'm shaky and can't really do it with one arm unassisted.
Is this bad?
>>
>>35580728
when you don't have any muscle, anywhere between 0.8-1g of protein per pound of LBM is plenty. There hasn't been any conclusive studies that show an increase in protein will make or break muscles at that level.
>>
>>35580780
Ok, thanks!
>>
>>35580767
tdeecalculator.net
>>
>>35580775
So you do like floor press? And your free hand helps hold the weight up?

Use a lighter weight or buy a bench or do OHP nigger shit.
>>
Why is there such a difference in floor press and conventional bench press. Ive been floor pressing for quite a while and was up to 185lbs 5x5 no issues. Now i finally bought a bench and am having a hard time doing 155lbs 5x5. I assuming there's more taxing because the decline is much more prominent? Any input would be very welcome <3
>>
>>35580775
Just go to a gym and use a barbell to build up your strength. Dumbbells give you babby gains at best if you don't have your strength up.
>>
If I rerack the weight before I complete the set is that considered a failed set?
>>
I wanna fix my rounded shoulders and I wanna start a bodybuilding routine. Yes, i've been doing SS for the las 4 or 5 months, and I've gained 30kg, leaving all the good ol' skelly time behind. What routine should I fallow, /fit/?

Yeah, I read the stick and madcow and/or texas method isn't what I'm searching for.
>>
>>35580808
yes.
>>
>>35580790
>tdeecalculator.net

If I do greyskull LP (three lifting days a week, each session like 40 mins) and just walk to and from class and shopping and what not do I put moderate exercise? I feel like they mean actual cardio
>>
>>35580808
>>35580823
im doing SS 3x5
I rerack the weight on my 4th rep but I finish the last rep does that mean I should lower the weight since I didnt do all 5 reps in one continuous set?
>>
>>35580846
Exercise is p. hard to account for because there's no surefire way to know exactly how many calories you burned.

I would just assume you burn between 100-200 calories per session. Unless someone here has a better idea.
>>
>>35580867
Either that or ask for a spotter to help you finish out.
>>
>>35580877
Cardio (i.e. running) is about 100 calories per mile as a rule of thumb.
>>
>>35580867
Yeah that means you've failed. You can't stop like that. You can pause at the top for a few seconds but you can't re rack the weight
>>
>>35580276
Mehdi the dumb cunt actually filmed one of his workouts to demonstrate how long a SL session should take including warm-up sets, rest, etc. Iirc it was about 45 minutes, but if course this is in optimal conditions (no waiting for equipment)
>>
>>35580314
If your arm is bent it would be a mild isometric exercise. If your arm is straight so the load was taken by your bones, the only muscles used would be for stabilising your elbow and shoulder.

Tldr the reason nobody has heard of this as an exercise is because it's a shitty exercise.
>>
>>35580316
Big cups or little cups?
>>
>>35580802
Badump
>>
>>35580480
Not really. If incline bench was the only shoulder exercise you did, you'd get poor results.
>>
File: 1055685581.jpg (162 KB, 720x505) Image search: [Google]
1055685581.jpg
162 KB, 720x505
>>35580981
>>
Did any of you ever have a legit food addiction? How did you overcome it?
>>
>M/W/F - Starting Strength
>T/T/S - Convict Conditioning + light yoga
Will bodyweight on rest days affect my lifts?
>>
>>35581022
nice dubs. Food addiction is tough to get over but the best way is to just ease yourself out and NEVER go shopping when you're hungry.

>>35581031
they're called rest days for a reason faggot
>>
>>35580846
>>35580877
>>35580896
All true. In summary, you should always put sedentary into your TDEE calculator while cutting. You have no way of knowing how many calories you are actually burning during exercise and it's easy to overestimate how much you're doing. Much easier to just put it in as sedentary and eat according to that number, on top of any exercise you do. Then if you don't burn much or miss a cardio session, it's no stress and there's no chance you'll go over.
>>
>>35581050
>implying I need 4 days of rest
I'm fine with pain, I just don't want to snap my shit up.

So bodyweight on the same day would be fine?
>>
So I started with Shoulder Dislocations today and I can barely get the pole behind me. What kind of progress can I expect if I do a few every day?
>>
>>35581053
what about lean bulking? should I just go with moderate? I really never run desu ahaha. Just lift and walk a lot
>>
>>35581100
Fair enough. I run because I like it and because I like being able to eat fucktons of carbs and get away with it.
>>
>>35580552
I'd say give yourself plenty of time to recover and deload about 20% for the first week you're back
>>
I've lived with back pain for a while (I'm 23 and have had a sore back since maybe 17) Just started seriously lifting and my back has never felt better. However, my back does get stiff sometimes and sometimes when I bend over while experiencing this stiffness I'll hear a strange noise coming from my lower back (sounds almost like someone pealing a sticker off of something) and my back will feel a bit looser. It doesn't hurt or anything but it is worrying me. Is this something I should be concerned about?
>>
>>35580582
Deload if you're cutting, pick up an injury, or suspect a form issue is causing you to plateau.
>>
>>35580650
Compound lifts with strict form, and conscious correction of resting posture.
>>
>>35581131
As a general rule sounds are nothing to worry about. Pain is of course when you should have a checking done.
>>
>>35580802
Greater range of motion plus more effort used to stabilize the moving load and your position on the bench.
>>
>>35581031
Yes, intense calisthenics done to failure will fuck up your rest days. Do light cardio or stretching instead.
>>
I'm tired of cutting guys
I want to build some proper muscle and see progression in my lift, but I'm also still fat
about 6'1" 205, been cutting since about 280. I'm doing PPL 6 days a week so I can't really recomp, how can I see progression but lose fat at the same time?
>>
What are some fit approved youtube channels?

Been watching Alan Thrall
>>
Is it bad I didn't squat today because I didn't feel like waiting around for the squat rack to open up? I got my bench presses and deadlifts in though

Should I go back before closing and try and get my squats in then?
>>
Im half spic and today I noticed the skin on my kneecaps is way darker than the rest of my legs, pretty sure its not dirt since i shower every day. what do I do?
>>
>>35581279
Yes. Go.
>>
>>35581280
Nothing? Nobody cares about the colour of your knees, mate. You can use skin products to bleach your skin, but that never ends up looking natural. Just embrace them knees, learn to love them, and never ever show them to a /pol/tard.
>>
File: image.jpg (241 KB, 947x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
241 KB, 947x1280
I'm looking to get a smaller waist but also want to gain weight, since I'm a BMI of 17.8.
I understand spot reduction is a lie, but will gaining muscle around my waist make my waistline smaller on account of the fat being less flabby?
>>
>>35580587
Totally normal. The bend is only there when I try to hinge forward from the hips.
>>
>>35581603
You will appear to have a smaller waist yes. And it will look infinitly better than skinny or skinnyfat, because the curves will be in the places they will look most attractive.
>>
>>35581603
You've got a good base already, eat lots of protein at maintenance and lift heavy, keep up the cardio and your body waist will slim down for sure.
>>
File: hRUIRXw.gif (2 MB, 398x336) Image search: [Google]
hRUIRXw.gif
2 MB, 398x336
>>35581603
waist is mostly genetic, after you lose the fat around it.

also, you look good baby, keep going hard ;)

>mfw think about you hurting alone at night
>>
Maybe stupid question, but I dunno. Just got my shit set up for a home gym (power rack, bench and weights + bar). It's Monday night and I wanna do SS. I want to do Monday, Wednesday, Friday, but it's late so I feel like starting tomorrow. Can I start tomorrow and do Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday this week and then just switch to Monday, Wednesday, Friday for the rest?
>>
>>35579870
anyone?
>>
>>35581280
Exfoliate

>>35581279
Next time ask to work in, don't be shy.

>>35581235
It'll come! The muscles will definitely come and you've done a great job so far if you're down 75 lbs. Keep in mind even if you built muscles now they won't show until your fat percentage is low enough anyway. It's good that you started a while ago.
>>
>>35581603
talk to doctor about fixing that gyno brah
>>
i left my gf who plays tennis and has an amazing body for a chubby girl with a vascular disease. the ex was a fucking gains goblin and golddigger. but the new one was so supportive over the last three years that i just couldnt resist.
was it a good decision to replace a fit and really good puss for someone who makes me feel better?
>>
File: bodyfat.jpg (56 KB, 850x450) Image search: [Google]
bodyfat.jpg
56 KB, 850x450
can i get a rate so I know if i should be comfortable or uncomfortable with taking my shirt off at my current status?

What kind of excercises can I do to tone up my upper body?

Already do:
Cable Cross
Bench Press
Dumb Bell Press
Shoulder Press
Curls
Forearm Curls
Tricep Pull Downs
LAT Pull Downs
Cable Oblique cross
Ab workouts consisting of: 3 sets of 30 second planks, 10 leg raises x3,10 leg x3 crunches, 3 sets of 30 crunches, 20 second bicycle kicks x3
and ab pull downs
>>
>>35581813
Sex isn't worth feeling shitty the rest of the time. Probably a healthy decision.
>>
File: bike.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1920
i need to develop quad strength to improve my high bar squat. i suffer from the classic "good morning" squat problem. my deadlift has far outstripped my squat

i'm working somewhere with no real parking for new employees, so you pretty much have to bike or take public transit.

is biking good for hypertrophy/strength of the quads? should i take the bus to save my gains, or bike every day to build my quads?
>>
>>35581787
just start now you fucking faggot.

jesus christ
>>
>>35581815
>rate
low effort/10

>comfortable or uncomfortable with taking my shirt off

Where? Comfortable is up to you.

>tone
>that routine

stop. read sticky.
>>
>>35581851
I've been putting it fucking so much effort in the gym my muscles burn.. been working this hard for 2 weeks

the sticky is not helpful at all... makes no sense

ive compiled my routine through guys like athlean X on youtube and personal trainers at my gym
>>
>>35581752
>>35581770
The genetic part is what worries me.
Everyone on my father's side of the family has the fat go straight to their stomach thanks to aboriginal genes. So while I want to gain weight, my waist is already larger than I'd like (26-27 inches) and it will likely get worse.
>>
>>35581842
>is biking good for hypertrophy/strength of the quads?

My squat usually goes down after endurance rides. Track bikers usually have huge quads, but they're sprinting.

That said, you'll get used to your commute ride very quickly, it won't interfere with your gains in the long term, and you'll be healthier for it.

But don't count on that level of biking for quad development.
>>
Hi. I just started to work out and all I have is a straight bar with some weights and 2 10 pound dumbells. I'm aiming for gains and I need some starter advice and what to do.
>>
>>35581868
fat only goes straight to your stomach when you eat crappy foods
>>
If I alternate legs and upper body, do I still need to take rest days in between to fully recover?
>>
just started counting calories after a cut which got me looking at how bad some food is. now I'm wanting to do a recomp by eating maintenance, holy shit it's hard to eat 2500cals a day when you aren't eating shit processed food.
>>
>>35581894
I never thought different foods actually caused fat to go to different places. I always see /fit/ saying that what you eat doesn't matter too much and it's all calories in calories out/etc.
So avoid refined carbs/sugar and only eat good carbs basically?
>>
>>35581867
I believe you, but two weeks is really nothing. It will take a couple months before you look noticeably different. However, if you're spending much more than an hour in the gym per workout, you're not being very efficient.

If the sticky doesn't make much sense, get a copy of Starting Strength (or read a guide online). It's simple, clear, and works without being complex or keeping you in the gym longer than necessary.
>>
>>35581876
alright, thanks.

is switching to front squats for a while a good idea to improve my back angle at the bottom of the squat?

i realize i should probably do more ab exercises as well, like an ab wheel maybe
>>
>>35581922
What level of lifting are you? A beginner could pull it off, but very quickly you'll stall on that kind of routine (I'm assuming you mean 7x per week, alternating upper/lower).

I would plan on taking at least two to three days off per week. How you arrange them is up to you.
>>
>>35581053
In terms of cutting, when you say eat according to that number do you mean eat at tdee sedentary or 20% below that number?
>>
File: satyr3.gif (21 KB, 147x304) Image search: [Google]
satyr3.gif
21 KB, 147x304
Doing Rippetoe's SS (Starting Strength) and my legs hurt like hell by my arms don't. Should I just add more weights, am I doing something wrong, or will SS make me look like a satyr?
>>
Does anyone have the starting strength 3rd edition pdf? I know you guys used to give it out
>>
>>35581927
it extremely matters what you eat, especially for girls. Girls are biologically made to hold more weight, so you need to be extremely careful.

Craft a diet of the 7 essential nutrients (http://www.doxtor.fit/2016/01/how-to-lose-fat-effectively-and-fast.html) and eat about 1200~ calories a day mixed with good excercise and you won't have to worry. If you don't have stomach flab as of now, you can easily prevent it from following the above linked diet. If you have stomach flab, follow the above link's total suggestions.

Anybody who "dirty bulks" or eats bad while working out will not obtain stomach gains no matter what, they might get muscle else where, but that's why most people who lift have bellies despite being strong af

>good carbs
Yes

>avoid refined carbs/sugar
100%, natural sugar is good for you but refined sugar will ruin your gains
>doesn't matter too much and it's all calories in calories out
The biggest myth in diet is a calorie is a calorie ... it's not.
>>
>>35581927
>I never thought different foods actually caused fat to go to different places.

They don't.
>>
>>35581929
SS doesn't seem like enough work for me desu, i like to workout for at least 1 hour
>>
>>35581973
>>35581894

stop shilling please
>>
>>35581974
Yes they don't, I didn't read that. Fat is distributed equally among your body in cell storage

>>35581985
It's backed up knowledge with biology and how your body works -- not like bro science
>>
>>35581954

Thanks.
>>
>>35581984
SS will take an hour. And heavy squats/deads/bench/chins will have you crawling the next day. It's plenty of work. Look at SL 5x5 if you truly want to spend more time.

>>35581960
SS is not against adding accessory lifts like curls, chinups -- there's a whole section on it. Even so, the default program will not put you out of proportion.
>>
>>35581973
>Eating only 1200 calories a day?
What?
>>
>>35581970
>>35581970
>>35581970
>>35581970
>>35581970
Anyone pretty please
>>
>>35582037
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B0Vyec-yHY6DYmNiMkg1dlZIelU&usp=sharing
>>
Today was pull day and my left forearm is cramping up like a motherfucker as I type this, what do I do?!
>>
File: 1450846704201s.jpg (3 KB, 125x121) Image search: [Google]
1450846704201s.jpg
3 KB, 125x121
>>35581868
damn im 6'2 with a 27 inch waist lmao
and a 8x6 if you were wondering
>>
>>35582042
I love you, thanks so so so much
>>
>>35582058
how much do you weight?
>>
Having issues coming out of the hole on LBBS. The hips come up fine but the chest don't. Any good cues (other than the "drive your shoulders back into the bar") to fix this? Is this a sign of weak quads? Current squat is 170lbsx5 and can DL 290lbsx5,
>>
>>35582045
1. stop using it
2. eat something salty - some recommend pickle juice. Anything with sodium+potassium.
>>
>>35582027
I can already squat 205 for 8 reps tho... I don't get sore from workouts really anymore.. ive been working out for 3 months and been active all my life, but really got really, really serious in the past 2 weeks like actor physique training type serious

>>35582045
eat bananas and drink lots of water
>>
Are barbell hip thrusts or barbell glute bridges better for a beginner transitioning to an intermediate routine?
>>
>>35581797
im new to lifting but to my understanding it is bad etiquette to ask to work in if you aren't doing the same weight right?

im new to lifting so i'm still only able to squat the bar while they were all doing plates+

this is at my school gym too gonna go back in like 2 hours and try do my squats hopefully one is empty
>>
>>35582074
Sounds like your hamstrings or glutes are weak compared to your quads. This is pretty common for most people who haven't had a physically demanding lifestyle.

As far as cues? You can try to keep your ass actively squeezing on the way up, but it might help more to deload, focus on good form, and build back up.
>>
>>35582075
>>35582078
all i have in my dorm are green bananas but I'll force on down, thanks
>>
>>35582199
don't eat too ripe of bananas, proven to cause confusion, headaches, sleepiness, and nausea... just get some salt water and drink a lot of water
>>
File: IMG_20160111_161437.jpg (629 KB, 1456x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160111_161437.jpg
629 KB, 1456x2592
Is there a way to fix hour glass look? Pic related, been lifting for 7 months
>>
>>35582134
Interesting, will deload and try that butt stuff. Thanks.
>>
>>35582126
>im new to lifting but to my understanding it is bad etiquette to ask to work in if you aren't doing the same weight right?

Good question. In my opinion, if someone is eager enough to want to help me deload and reload the bar, they can work in, no matter the difference in weight.

If you really feel like working in is not an option, ask how many sets they have left and ask if you can use it when they're done. They should try to signal to you if they can still see you when they're finished.
>>
>>35582330
You have love handles, not an hourglass.

You can get rid of love handles by losing fat.
>>
Serious question, not trolling.
Is the anything actually wrong about Planet Fitness?
I'm thinking of joining that since it's close and dirt cheep right now.
>>
>>35582424
yes.
>>
>>35582424
Most PF have no squat rack. No weights above 60 lbs. Check it out, see if it has the equipment you want, maybe you'll be lucky.

Sometimes convenience wins - it's more important that you're dedicated to a progressive routine than work out in the best gym ever.
>>
>>35582351
word thanks i really hate talking to people though so i'm gonna try and find the perfect times to workout so I don't have to deal with even opening my mouth
>>
>>35581813
>was it a good decision to replace a fit and really good puss for someone who makes me feel better?
Absolutely.
>>
>>35581815
Depending on your goals, I'd suggest bulking up and doing SS or SL5x5. You'll be able to find the relevant information here: >>17018018
>>
would 10x12 bench be good for weight loss but maintain muscle?
>>
>>35582467
Ah okay.
For starting it seems pretty nice tho.
>>
/fit/ I turbofucked my shoulder last October and haven't been able to lift since then.

It feels alright now, but I don't think I'll know for sure until I move some heavy weight with it.

Basically, I'm trying to get back into lifting, but at the same time I'm trying to see whether or not the shoulder is alright to use again.

Should I just do SS and stop if the shoulder hurts too much?
>>
What is a power clean equivalent to in weight?

Working on that 1/2/3/4 5x5. Added in power cleans to get me excited from grinding out squats so much
>>
>>35582577
ten sets for 12 reps?

where did you get this idea.

If you're cutting after a bulk keep lifting like you regularly do, just don't eat as much. Add in some cardio or sports if you like.
>>
>>35582591
A 2 plate power clean is approximately at the same level as 1/2/3/4
>>
>>35582584
https://youtu.be/HSoHeSjvIdY
https://youtu.be/lJBtRTrmV20
https://youtu.be/IKc6hwPvsHg

Give it rest, use something like Tiger Balm and go easy on it.
>>
Am I cutting too hard?

>181cm, 101kg, 18% bodyfat
>work a moderately active job 40hr weekly

been eating 1800kcal on days I don't lift and 2200kcal or so on days I lift, everything feels heavy as shit.
>>
>>35582643
dunno, how much weight are you losing week to week?

1800 is really low, though.

Try using https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/
>>
>>35582665
I went from 103kg to 100kg within the first seven days, that was probably like 90% water though, right?

disclaimer : I've never cut before
>>
>>35582636
righto mate cheers
>>
>>35582665
>https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/

Okay, yeah this has definitely convinced me I should eat more. Thank you!
>>
>>35582675
>90% water
mayyyybe

double check with the calculator, because 1800 kcal for an adult, 101 kg male ~25 years old is approaching starvation levels, especially if you're moderately active during work and are lifting heavy regularly.
>>
>>35582716
haha, good
>>
File: 9QhLD1X.jpg (233 KB, 1373x1625) Image search: [Google]
9QhLD1X.jpg
233 KB, 1373x1625
Sticky doesn't provide any hypertrophy programs.
Could someone kindly provide a good one to start a cut with?
>>
>>35582794
are you shitting me yes it does you mongoloid
>>
>>35582599
what would be wrong with 10x12?
>>
>>35582794
>>35582922
https://youtu.be/Kyqj_eTab2o
https://youtu.be/vMFeD1ziHAE
https://youtu.be/wEo4TuU9T28
>>
>>35582922
You won't find a lot of advocates for german volume training programs here.

maybe it works just fine, but most aren't familiar with it.

if you're cutting, the advice still stands to lift normally, just don't expect the same kind of progression you had on a bulk.
>>
I have a curious question. I've been on a 16 week cut at about -1500 cals, while maintaining about 95% of my strength of 1 rm's. I am planning on reverse dieting off in a span of about 5-6 weeks. i know that my original strength will return as its so close ot what it was when i began the cut.

my question is, how much gains will be made when i begin eating at a maitainance when i start back original training and diet scheme
>>
>>35583043

You really won't find many advocates for GVT on a cut, because the main advantage of it is the stupid boost to glycogen storage it can give. But that requires a big carb intake, which you really don't want on a cut.
>>
I'm 5'10 132lbs have been lifting for a while now with little gains. How much should i be eating everyday?
>>
>>35583872
more.

lots more.

https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/bwp/
>>
Went to the gym twice today. Was it because I'm just full of noob energy or was I just not pushing myself hard enough in the first gym session? I have this notion that sessions should kick your ass hard enough to the point that you wouldn't be able to get another real workout in the same day but I like this day/night rhythm.
>>
Skinnyfag manlet, used to lift a bit for wrestling, mostly only working out I did was actual practice, etc. Havnt lifted in over a year but i'm an active person, i started lifting again recently, my maxes were
115 pounds 5'6 manlet

145 bench
225 squat
135 power cleans
What should my maxes be at for my weight/height?
Main things I want to improve are my triceps, lats, and shoulders. What are good things for that?
I want to gain weight, is clean bulking even real or is it broscience, or do I just eat a shit load and lift a shit load.
Will lifting make a noticeable difference in my facial feautures?
>>
What is the optimal amount of soreness you should be going for post workout?

Last week I went to failure with one of my workouts, but was extremely sore 4 days later.

So I pulled back on the weight, kept the reps this week. Felt a little weak moving my steering wheel while driving but beside that I have full mobility. Did I pull back too much?
>>
>>35584259

Soreness is basically irrelevant. Its a measure of the newness of the workout (and a few other things), not its effectiveness.
>>
My gym's benchpress can't be adjusted, so I can only do incline bench on the smith machine. Should I just keep using the smith machine to do incline? or do like incline dumbbell flies instead?
>>
Oi nignogs

I am current 22, 6'1 and 96kg, lift 4 days a week, did cardio for everyone of those sessions but im toning it back now, on average i consume rougly no more then 1600 calories a day, i have 1/2 cup rice with 2 meals during the day (lunch - dinner) should i be cutting carbs to speed up the process or wut?

Also do i need to eat more protein? I have roughly 100g chicken breast twice daily, one seving oats for breakfast and tuna mid morning, also brotein shake after gym

>inb4 read the sticky

I already have, im just trying to find tune some shit here

I should mention my main goal right now is to lean out without losing too much muscle
>>
>>35579859
is keto better than a regular deficit for weight loss?
>>
>>35584377

Weight loss? Yes.

Fat loss? No, but some people find it easier to maintain the same level of deficit on keto.
>>
>>35584393
yeah im having trouble staying at a deficit im hungry all the time, was wondering if keto might be better.
>>
Do I need too Do Recarb days On keto or is it a meme?
>>
How come the people who most often say protein powder is useless, are the ones who don't get enough protein in the first place?
>>
Is Gomada meme?
>>
I want to start taking creative, but I'm not sure where to begin. I've heard some kinds are better than others (where you get then etc) but I have no fucking clue as to where to look besides gnc, and I feel that's not the best place to go
>>
How did you guys learn proper form? I was stalling hard on SS so I'm actually reading the book, and I've been doing squats pretty damn wrong (probably other things too); I've lowered weight and am just trying to correct myself but it feels really obtuse (especially pushing the knees out and 'hip drive'). Did you just schedule a session with a PT at some point, or what?
>>
Are sandbags worth it or its just a meme back-breaking crossfit shit?
>>
File: 1403768117167.jpg (72 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1403768117167.jpg
72 KB, 500x375
What happens if you mix protein whey with plain fat free greek yogurt?

Is this too much protein for one sitting? Is that even possible?
>>
I average about 12-15 cans of tuna a week, is this bad at all?
>>
Last night I had potatoes, peas, parmesan cheese, onions, rice and black beans for dinner. I've been ripping ass every ten seconds, literally, on average, every ten seconds.

Am I gonna be okay?
>>
>>35584670
What are you basing this off of?
>>
Should I try to get my reps in and increase in weight when I feel like I could do it with the increase OR increase weight when I got my reps in and work my way back to my reps with the increase?
>>
any tips for bar placement on low bar squat? i cant seem to find the sweetspot and it ends up making my back sore where i held the bar
>>
>>35585550
High bar squat.
>>
>>35585552
im obviously a complete beginner so its really not helpful to drop comments like these. why highbar vs low?
>>
I have been away from the weights for around 2 years and I'm going back to the gym next month, therefore I'm not a complete beginner but I haven't lifted weights in a pretty long time. I still keep some of my old gains and I'm way stronger than when I first started.
The question is, should I start with a beginner program nonetheless or go back to the routine I had before stopping?

Any tips appreciated.
>>
>>35581924
nuts are 6-700 calories pr 100 gram.
>>
>>35585245
Stop doing this. Mercury poisoning is not a meme. Use varied sources of protein.
>>
>>35579859
I'm getting very mixed info about rice and how white rice compares to brown rice, the thread I made about died, but I basically got the following:
"Brown rice has more fibre, and that's about it, so the difference is negligible."
"Most brown rice has the exact same fiber per serving as white. Read the fucking labels. Same macros, same micros."
"Both white and brown are shit"
"Rice is a carb, just pick the carb that tastes best to you, rice, bread, pata, etc - not fucking hard."
"Well white rice is basically pure sugars with hardly any nutritional value. But at least brown rice has some fiber and other stuff in it. I'd say no white rice period, and brown rice in moderation. Unless you're bulking, then all bets are off."

Does anyone know how I can evaluate all of this info? I checked the sticky which seemed to lack any advice, what part should rice, or even carbs in general, play in my diet?
>>
>>35585767
Carbs mostly provide energy, while other macros have more important functions in the body, like muscle building and hormone functions, and they can also be used as a source of energy should it be called for, so carbs aren't the most important part of your diet unless youre very physically active. I'd say the consensus is make sure you meet your fat/protein requirements, fill the rest of your intake with carbs, preferably not processed ones as their nutritional value is lower.

On the matter of brown or white rice, it's mostly the fiber and some micros (vitamins/minerals) that are lost in the refining, so should you eat any rice rather have brown, but wouldn't advise pigging out on it unless youre on a bulk. Same logic applies for any kind of brown vs white cereal argument.
>>
How much water should I drink everyday to completely retain my water weight? I find myself fluctuating within a 3kg range
>>
>>35585849
>to completely retain my water weight?
You're not supposed to. You're supposed to fluctuate a bit. Don't worry about it.
>>
>>35585331
Anecdotal evidence.
>>
>>35585767
Rice is candy. If you want to really eat well, high fat, high protien low carb is the way. Minimal fruit, no refined or natural sugars that can be avoided. No bread, no rice ect
>>
>>35585579
High bar is a bit more naturally feeling, and a bit easier to "get", although they requires more mobility than low bar squat, which is why beginners usually are directed to low bar squats. (That, and since low bar allows you to lift more weight, it's more forgiving to progress lineally)

>>35585599
You'll regain those old gains pretty quickly. You'll be lifting your old numbers in a couple of months, even if it took you years to get them before.

Yeah, either do a beginner program with a LP, or do your old program with an LP. It's more important to start at a comfortable level and progress linearly, than what you are doing.

I'm leaning towards your old program, because that was working for you.
>>
Begginer. Anything for aesthetics for beginners? I'm not going to go build up much strength.
>>
Are there any /fit/ approved routines focused on volumes? I'm stalling on stronglifts and I'm looking for a new routine. Also, i workout at home so the only equipment I have is a barbell, dumbells, a bench and plates.

Cheers, /fit/.
>>
have a stiff (not painful) lower back from deadlifting yesterday
today is supposed to be legs/ shoulders
with chest/ tris the day after

should i swap my schedule around to put less strain on my back?
or maybe to shoulders in addition to chest/ tris today?
>>
>>35585982
>Update
I have my eyes on All Pro's Beginner Routine

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
>>
>>35585971
>Begginer. Anything for aesthetics for beginners? I'm not going to go build up much strength.

You want to build muscles, but not strength? Are you even listening to yourself?

IMHO, and this is opinion is not shared by all, is that you should do a beginner strength program first, and then progress to an aesthetics program later.

First, once you have muscles, you can then start adding accessories to build the ones you're missing, since everyone is slightly different and build muscles slightly differently.

And two,more strength = more hypertrophy. The stronger you are, the bigger your pump.
>>
>>35586027
I'm not looking at building strength for strength's sake. That's the exact kind of answer I was specifically not looking for.
>>
>>35586049
im not that guy your replying to but, let me explain what he's trying to say, have you played fallout 4?
>>
>>35586057
Nope
>>
>>35586063
Have you played any rpgs?
>>
>>35586081
Only RTSs — I mean drop the analogy either way, I know the mechanics of RPGs. Build level to get more stat gain options?
>>
Guys how do I fix my bench? I got to 1 plate after like 3 months of lifting and then I kinda just stuck there, while my other lifts progressed. I do 1pl8 5x5 but it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. What do?
>>
>>35586090
Strength builds levels so you have the ability to fight stronger enemies = faster exp gain

Volume is slower, you can only fight lower level enemies = slow exp gain = no gainzz

By doing a strength program first you have to ability to fight big bad enemies instead

Holy shit im bad at explaining
>>
>>35586049
You want to build muscle. Muscle is built fastest by progressive linear overload when you start out.

Gaining strength and building muscle are basically the same thing. You need to encourage adaptation in your muscles by moving heavy things.
>>
>>35586027
Alright, let me say this another way.

You're better off focusing on strength training in a beginner program, and then do a aesthetic volume program, because your muscles can lift more weights and get more pump, and you'll progress farther, faster in the end.

But if you're looking to jump right into asethics, look at either gslp, from the book, AllStar Pro, ICF, or SL5x5.

They're all going to be SS clones with more reps, more volume and more accessories, but that's how it works as a beginner.
>>
>>35586108
>>35586122
>>35586138

This was a decent explanation. Kinda feel dumb as a rock now. Thanks.
>>
>>35586057
>>35586081
>>35586090
>>35586108
>>35586122
>>35586138
Never change /fit/
>>
I have been following the starting strenght program for 2 weeks now and i'm starting to notice flaws in my form now.
My squat seems fine but my benchpress and deadlifts are slight weird.
on the bench press i have my foots flat, push my chest slightly up and have a little curve in my back, but i also head that you are supposed to push your shoulders back ? This seems strange to me and i wasnt able to do this even when i tried yesterday. It normally don't feel my chest working at all and i never have. My shoulders and arms are doing all the work. Please help me with this.
On the deadlift it seems impossible for me to have a straight back while doing the lift.
I do a bowing possision ( not to low) and then i try to lift. But my back slightly curves out the wrong way for the first half of the lift. It feels like the barbell is to low on the ground almost.
I bench press lift is 60 kg and the deadlift is 80 kg atm by the way. I'm really weak.
Please help with this.

And by the wy what is the normal lift for most beginners?
>>
My hip flexors kind of feel funny, should I be able to squat like this? its not a pain just a slight discomfort. Also what are some good shoulder exercises?
>>
>>35586420
For bench press, you should squeeze the shoulders together, to make a platform to stabilize the bar. This also protects the shoulders and the AC joint. If you want more chess activation, grip the bar with the pointer finger at the little marker.

You can also try reverse grip bench grip,but for god's sake, make sure you have safety bars when doing it.

When you set up for a deadlift, lower your arms / upper body to the max ROM, where you feel your posterior chain tighten, then use your legs to reach the bar.

If you can't seem to reach the bar, you might have mobility issues. You should work on that, and maybe do rack pulls rather than dead lifts until you can do it with a straight back.
>>
>>35586470
Stretch them out. Normal when beginning for them to be tight.

Overhead press. Arnold press.
>>
Any modifications you would want to add to the Starting Strength beginner routine thing? I might be going to the gym for THE FIRST TIME EVER and going to try it. Can't wait :^)
>>
>>35584644
Anyone pls
>>
My grip is stalling my deadlift development, I can easily do 5x110 but my forearms are to weak!

I've tried the dumbell roll up and gripper thinga majiggis but I don't feel like they've helped a lot.
>>
>>35586523
same senpai, stalled at 120@70, gonna try mixed

but first i'm going to try romanian for a few weeks because apparently my hammies are super weak
>>
>>35586523
Farmer walks.

Or use straps once the weight is to heavy to hold. Don't let your grip stop you deadlift progress.
>>
What is good routine / type of exercises to do before/after bed time? just for doing something.
>>
>>35586484
I don't think we have one of those setups in my gym ( i had to google)
Thank you for the answer. I will look into it. I normally hold the bar at bench press with the middle fingers at the little marks.
>>
>>35586536
>>35586536
We'll eventually make it bruh

>>35586541
What if my has no equipment for farmer walks?

>>use straps
And thank you but I really would prefer to stay natty.
>>
>>35586544
>after bed time?
wut
>>
I don't have access to space for a bench for a couple weeks but I have barbells and a plated up bar.

What can I do to substitute flys and bench?
>>
Are big arms aesthetic to you? I dont like them being big desu
>>
Is there a definitive answer on whether diet soda affects weight loss? I know its 0/very low calorie but I've heard contradicting things on the stuff they actually contain affecting weight loss.
>>
>>35586505
For the first two weeks, nothing.

Afterwards, made sure to be doing the program with the chin-ups in it to prevent t-rex mode.

SS is a pretty good program as is. People add all sorts of accessories and fuck up the program, because they push themselves too hard. There's no reason to do accessories as a beginner, because your focus should be on the main lifts and doing them with perfect form, and secondly, you don't really know where you need an accessory yet.

The only thing I would add is to record yourself non-stop.

Every lift.

And if you see nothing wrong, post it so more experienced lifters can see it and spot anything wrong. It is much easier to see mistakes in a video, than to try to spot them by feel.
>>
>>35586582
Just use heavy dumbells, or a 45lb plate, or do plate pinches.
>>
>>35586685
Floor presses.
>>
>>35586821
They can give you a feeling of never being satiated, but scientists are arguing about why that is, though it's most likely from the sweeteners. If you get this, there is a danger of overeating because you never feel proper full when affected by it.

There is also some discussion about how it changes the fat storage chemically, but I haven't seen any proper scientific proof on it. Could be, but I wouldn't know.
>>
Hey /fit/ ive recently been getting this really anoying nagging pain in my triceps during my workouts. Its like this constant nagging pain, kinda hard to explain. Is this normal or should i be worried, and take a couple of days rest?
>>
>>35586986
If you're sure it's not DOMS then I recommend resting it for a few days to prevent possible injury. Pain is always a warning sign.
>>
I'm a chubby girl and I want to lose weight first and for most. I'm eating about 1200 calories and it's been going well.

My issue is I've read the sticky, lurked for awhile and see lots of people saying you can't gain muscle while on calorie deficit. But I've also read gaining muscle helps lose weight, and I want to gain muscle to look even better.

But if I can't gain muscle what is the point in lifting? Why wouldn't I just stick to cardio? I hope it's clear why I'm confused.
>>
>>35587079
You can gain muscle/strength on a deficit and it's benefitial for when you lose enough weight that'll you'll be strong enough to start making big gains if you decide to bulk/maintain. Also lifting in tandem with cardio is better for losing weight than just cardio.
>>
>>35587079
you can gain muscle, since you are a beginner.
>>
>>35586095
pls respond
should I go from 5x5 to 3x5
>>
>>35587172
Yeah, sometimes switching from 5x5 to 3x5 and vice-versa is the best way to break a plateau. Just switch something up.
>>
I was reading about ephedrine and how it basically only burns brown adipose (fat) efficently, not white adipose. And apparenrly when you run out of brown adipose, it starts burning skeletal muscle, which is apparently closely related to brown adipose. My question is, how do i twll howuch brown adipose i have? Is this a percentage of bodyweight or observable?
>>
>>35587204
This is not observable. People in colder climates have more brown fat, but it's basically your genetics and your environment growing up. There's no way to generate more.

>>35587079
You can't gain muscle on a deficit if you're advanced and 15% bf. If you're chubby and you're getting your protein, you can easily gain muscle on a deficit.

Also, if you plan on lifting, you're better off starting now, and learning the lifts for when you decide to start gaining muscle. You'll gain newbie gains for quite some time.

Keeping weight off is a lifestyle choice. If you want to be a lifter, than start lifting. If you want to be a cardio person, then just do cardio. Lifting is a choice, not a requirement for weight loss.

Do what you fucking want to do and stop listening to us autists .
>>
>>35587360

Well, i just want to make sure im not burning off my skeletal muscle if im still stacking next month... I imagine burning off skeletal muscle is a bad thing right? Now that i think about it, thats probably why DNP will burn out your muscles?
>>
Hungry skellington here, using my fitness pal to track my calories and macros, how come at the end of the day all of my macros are maxed out but I still need more calories? What do I eat?
>>
My right side is significantly stronger than my left side, what do?
>>
>>35587528
>>35587360
>>35587204
If I remember correctly, a study with dnp showed it actually increasing brown fat levels. I've never seen anything about ephedrine burning muscle. DNP doesn't burn muscle for energy, it gives you an incredibly high fever and your DNA and proteins start to denature
>>
>>35587540
>What do I eat?
More. Choose anything you want.
>>
>>35587657
If I go too far over the calorie goal wont it just become fat?
>>
>>35587671
And what is the point of macro goals if you need to exceed them?
>>
So I'm interested in fitness and strength over aesthetics , but am trying to lean bulk atm but you know how it goes over Christmas I loosened up a bit. Don't wanna be that autistic fuck tha can't enjoy a bit of cake with your family at Christmas you know. Anyway. I've always went by the whole "use the mirror as your guide" thing and I believe I have gained a pound or so of fat over Christmas. Should I just do a cut for 2 weeks and then carry on lean bulking?

I want to drop the fat so it doesn't intefere with my running.

Bodyfat atm is about 12%
>>
>>35587671
What I meant was you fill your calorie needs, but you can choose whatever macros you want. Don't eat more cals than what your plan says, but eating all the cals you need when you'er skelly is very important. Otherwise you kill your gains.
>>
>>35587678
>point of macro goals if you need to exceed them?
The most important one is protein. Otherwise do what's feels best for your body.
>>
>>35587686
Alright, worry about calorie goals over macro goals, got it.

I just need 1g/pound of goal bodyweight protein and the rest good fat and complex carbs?
>>
>>35587711
You need 0.8, not 1, but that's not really important because long as your reach that 0.8 the rest is good as long as you're within your calorie level.
But yeah, rest in complex carbs and good fat and you're solid.
>>
>>35587729
Thanks
>>
>>35585818
>I'd say the consensus is make sure you meet your fat/protein requirements, fill the rest of your intake with carbs, preferably not processed ones as their nutritional value is lower.
Why fill the rest with carbs?
>>
>>35587648

its on the ephedrine wiki page, but it sounds like speculation based on tests in mice, so im guessing its not acute in humans, but apparently its new news that brown fat is closely related to skeletal muscle, and not white fat
>>
So, my small 3rd world gym doesn't have adjustable height pulleys, where should i do face pulls?

Right now i'm doing them with a resistance band at a lower-chest height, but it's getting easier and i can't add weight.

Is it ok if do i in the seated cable row machine? will the excercise still work?
>>
>>35587711
>I just need 1g/pound of goal bodyweight protein
>goal bodyweight
Found your problem. You're supposed to calculate it by your own weight, not goal weight. I think your macros will stabilize once you recalculate this.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.