[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear /fit/, how do I fix my shit physique? After SS I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4
File: me.jpg (393 KB, 434x880) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
393 KB, 434x880
Dear /fit/, how do I fix my shit physique? After SS I'm left with a lot of bloat around the abdomen and not all that much muscle on the chest and upper body. What should I do?

I'm thinking of incorporating the following into my training:

1) More upper body volume, particularly for chest and traps
2) Actually exercise abs with planks, window wipers, leg raises and crunches
3) Start running, basically go on a cut or body recomp

If anyone has any programs or routines with strict rep/set schemes I can stick to I'd be grateful.
>>
>>35574799
>After SS I'm left with a lot of bloat around the abdomen
Implying its the routine, not your diet.
>>
>>35574799
You're just a fat fuck, matey. Blame your diet.

Are your lifts decent? How long on SS? It may be time for you to move on to PPL or Push Pull (depending on how much time you want to invest)
>>
File: me.jpg (455 KB, 482x1014) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
455 KB, 482x1014
>>35574810

Combination of the SS encouragement to "EAT MORE" every time your lifts stall and lack of direct core work, I think. I followed LOMAD (liter of milk) for a lot of it too.

>>35574824

Ok, I guess that's not so bad then.

My lifts had basically stalled after 6 months and a third reset. I'm not at 1/2/3/4, more something like 116 kg squat, 84 kg bench, 134 kg dl, 65 kg pc and 46 kg press.

So I should just cut?

Push Pull or Upper Lower sounds good because I don't want to have a dedicated leg day. For that I would just do squats. Maybe a routine with more upper body emphasis. Like I said, any good routines to recommend?

Here's a slightly bigger pic.
>>
>>35574873
>upper lower sounds good because I don't want to have a dedicated leg day

nigga u wat

well to be honest it seems like your lower body is a lot stronger than your upper body. I mean, your lifts are still a bit shit, but if you are stalling, just eating more is not a solution. Plus, you have already been on SS for six months, which is more than enough.

Switch your routine to push/pull (or some other kind of split that will allow you to hit each bodypart 2 times a week going 4 times a week), cut, and once you are at a low body fat percentage, clean bulk. You should be good after that.

Ultimately, you might want to at least do some leg press in addition to your squat for your legs as well. I mean, the aim should be to make more gains by the means of increased volume, not to backpedal and lose what you have achieved so far only to shift it to your upper body.
>>
Bulk for a few months and gonna cut.. What routine should I run?? Thinking about Arnold's blueprint for mass
>>
>>35574799
Start cutting while maintaining your lifts, once your abs are nice and visible, start bulking again and switch to a PPL
>>
>>35574949
>Ultimately, you might want to at least do some leg press in addition to your squat for your legs as well. I mean, the aim should be to make more gains by the means of increased volume, not to backpedal and lose what you have achieved so far only to shift it to your upper body.

I read you. I was just hesitant to try any new lifts that weren't covered by Rippetoe in SS.

I forgot to mention something else, right now I'm starting to run Texas Method, with a lot more volume as assistance lifts.

>>35574982

It might not be clear from that pic but my abs are visible when I flex them in front of a mirror and with bathroom lighting (i.e. the kind of "good lighting" that people here post CBT photos in). I don't have a pic so I can't prove it but it looks like I don't have a lot of subcutaneous fat. So most of it must be visceral fat I guess, or I just have fucked up large organs/genetics or ATP.

>Start cutting while maintaining your lifts,

You mean while doing SS (or more precisely the advanced version of SS)? Sounds good.
>>
>>35574873
> 46 kg press

My bad, it's a 52 kg press.
>>
>>35575005
I kept doing SL while cutting and switched routine when I started bulking again, that way I wouldn't have to worry about trying to figure out what weight I should be lifting while cutting and low on energy. And I'm sorry, but you need to cut, there is basically no definition anywhere at all in your pic. And it's not just lighting
>>
>>35575043

To get definition shouldn't I be focusing on more bodybuilding type training? More exercises, 4 sets, 8-12 reps, etc.? Ok, sounds good, will start cutting (a bit stupid to do in the winter though, was hoping to get my lifts up to 1/2/3/4 on TM or something like it). But I guess I should fix myself first, I got into this game to look better, not to lift a certain amount. Previous weights were for 3x5 btw.
>>
>>35575070
I've heard that switching to bodybuilding routine is better for cutting, but I've never tried it...I didn't want my big 3 lifts to go to complete shit. The strength loss during a cut is bad enough, I can only imagine how bad it would be if I wasn't hitting the big 3 hard on a regular basis
>>
>>35575070
no. Bodybuilding training achieves hypertrophy (i.e. bigger, fulelr muscles). This is not your main problem right now, and you will not achieve that while on a calorie deficit anyway.

Your main problem is that you are fat. Not very fat, but enough to warrant a cut.
>>
>>35575137

Will I be a scrawny skelly after the cut? Will I not have any muscles at all? Can I just get rid of the gut while keeping everything else (what little I have)?
>>
>>35575151
You look tall, there's a good chance you'll be a skelly with muscle definition. That's what happened to me (6'2 master race). Your second cutting and bulking cycle on a ppl will be were it's at. Trust me
>>
>>35574810
>>35574824

>>35574799

You were doing it wrong, SS is great if you push yourself. If you don't spend enough energy on your workouts, you need to include more lifts, do some cardio or eat less.

Also, stop eating milk and protein powders. If all you do as a workout is SS, you don't need to bloat yourself out with meme powder meant for extremes athletes. read up on healthy eating (I didn't call it "nutrition" because that's a flawed pseudo-science). Scooby have top-tier advices on the matter,read up.

Also, proper DL and squat form include a strong abdo contraction while lifting, something you need to keep in mind.

Also the "cardio kill gains" meme is retarded and only apply to a bb type routine. Do some cardio, at least 20-30 min a day everyday.
>>
>>35575151
well, the aim of a cut is to lose fat, not muscle mass. Hence why it is important that you maintain your lifts (and reduce your calorie deficit if this ain't happening).

In the end, if done right, you'll look smaller, but better (kind of ottermode, actually). Nothing to mire too much, but a good basis to put some actual muscle mass on.
>>
>>35575151
>>35575222
and again, we are not talking about a MASSIVE cut. Should take you 2 months, 3 max. It's just that if you start bulking on a bodybuilding type of routine now, you will soon get tired of your increasingly bad looking belly and lack of definition and lose steam.
>>
>>35575185

I'm 182 cm or 6'.

>Your second cutting and bulking cycle on a ppl will be were it's at.

So SS --> PPL bulk --> PPL cut --> PPL bulk --> PPL cut --> Made it (sort of)?

What PPL routine do you recommend?

>>35575219
>You were doing it wrong

I tried everything in my power not to, read and followed the program to the letter. The only significant deviating factors is that I did all lifts in socks and my gym's smallest plates are 1kg and I had no microplates.

>If you don't spend enough energy on your workouts

Ok fair enough. Rippetits said though that any assistance other than chins should be added very carefully, and I got the impression that too much assistance can interfere with the main lifts.

>SS is great if you push yourself.

I was pushing myself, the intensity under what felt like crushing squats and heavy deadlifts got me extremely sweaty and worn out even on a cold day. However it might not have been enough volume.

>Also, stop eating milk and protein powders. If all you do as a workout is SS, you don't need to bloat yourself out with meme powder meant for extremes athletes.

Never touched protein powder, drank whole milk quite frequently though. Two other problems were eat a lot in one sitting and eating before bed (glycemic spikes), though the sticky says it shouldn't matter when you eat. I get my lunch and dinner from a meal hall so I have limited choice there but I have a good sense of "healthy" food (no processed shit, no dressings or fatty sauces, lean meats, complex carbs like potatoes and rice, lots of vegetables and fruit, I drink only water and the occasional beer).

>Also, proper DL and squat form include a strong abdo contraction while lifting, something you need to keep in mind.

I get that but I think it made it worse for me since it gives me a thick transverse abdomins, while the "6 pack" muscle rectus abdominis is largely unworked. Look at Arnold's 70s photos and you'll see he has a killer vacuum but no 6-pack. cont.
>>
>>35574873
You weigh like 180-200 lbs and can only press 46 kg? What's going on?
>>
>>35575219
>>35575358

cont. I guess that has to do with the rise in popularity of situps and later crunches. Also a lot of people who squat and deadlift seem to have a "weightlifter's gut". Could be just my ignorant impression but I think those give you a thick core.

>>35575219
>Also the "cardio kill gains" meme is retarded and only apply to a bb type routine. Do some cardio, at least 20-30 min a day everyday.

Will try this, the only reason I avoided it before is because it interfered with my LP. If I would run one day I'd have trouble with squats the next. Mabe I'll do it evey non-lifting day. I'd also like to start running to get up to USMC PFT standards; even though I don't plan to enlist I'd like to look like a Marine. Already working on the pullups, trying to get up to 20.

>>35575375

I weigh 86 kg (at 182 cm) and can press 52 kg for 3x5. The 46 was a mistake on my part.
>>
>>35574799
Damn u look good as is op. Ur really hot to be honest i like that kind of body type
>>
>>35575358
I would do a full bulking and cutting cycle on PPL, and if you feel like switching routines after that, then do so, or keep doing PPL. That's really up to you.

I recommend this routine
http://oldschooltrainer.com/3-day-push-pull-legs/

I did the 3 day, because I'm not competing in anything an also have a lofe, but it gives good 4, 5, and 6 day templates as well. The rep and sets recommened work rather well also.

Ps, I thought I had a big core too, until I cut ;)
>>
>>35575358
>So SS --> PPL bulk --> PPL cut --> PPL bulk --> PPL cut --> Made it (sort of)?

mate now you are getting super fucking lost

look, to wrap this up: You need to cut now before you continue bulking. What routine you cut on doesn't matter, but it seems like the best choice to keep your routine, since at least then you have a good grip on what "maintaining" means.

Once you have stopped being a fatty, the bulking should be a clean bulk and happen on a type of routine with more volume (e.g. PPL or upper lower or push pull).
>>
>>35574799
Scooby mode
Seerce
>>
>>35575467
O forgot to mention, it recommends 5x5 deadlifts, I noticed at around the 315 range that doing 5x5 did not allow enough time for recovery, so I switched to 1x5 with 4 warm up sets. Fist set starting at 60% and add 10% each warm up until you are at you working weight
>>
File: me2.jpg (603 KB, 800x1247) Image search: [Google]
me2.jpg
603 KB, 800x1247
>>35575404

lel ok breh whatever you say. Here's another one of me trying to pose like a faggot, maybe this will help people assess what I need to do.

>>35575505
>but it seems like the best choice to keep your routine, since at least then you have a good grip on what "maintaining" means.

Ok got it. I just got a bit confused by your thing about a second cutting and bulking cycle on a PPL, I guess you referred to that cycle after the first bulk/cut on SS. Thanks.
>>
>>35575583
I think the confusion is from that fact that you think 2 different posters are the same person lol.

Cut on SS, then start bulking on PPL, cut on ppl, then either keep doing PPL or try out another routine
>>
>>35575583
>Ok got it. I just got a bit confused by your thing about a second cutting and bulking cycle on a PPL, I guess you referred to that cycle after the first bulk/cut on SS. Thanks.

That wasn't me. Not that it isn't right, but do things one step at a time. The funny thing is, you never actually "make it". You will want more and more. This ride never ends, friendo.
>>
>>35575583

P.S. Although it looks in this picture like I have no chest, this isn't entirely the case. However it is a lagging part. Maybe I should try doing more dips, incline BP, and supersetting benches with dumbbell BP as well as assistance benchwork staggered throughout the week.
>>
bamp
>>
>>35575583
>>35574799
Same person?

>>35575583
Looks damn good, solid legs
>>
>>35576128

Yeah both are me (OP).
>>
>>35575014
that actually bugged me
>>
>>35575219
scooby breathes protein powder
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 620x330) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 620x330
>>35576194
>cottage cheese
>>
>>35576194
scooby also roids dumbass
>>
>>35576665

What drugs does /fit/ think Scoobs has run, besides ephedrine in the 80s and TRT in the last 10 years?

Any dry compounds, orals, or just prescription test?
>>
>>35575583
Yea bro, time to cut. Shouldn't take you too long
>>
bump

I'm doing standard TM. Are power cleans a waste of time? They're a pain in the ass but I can understand the need for a pull before intensity deadlift. Likewise power snatches I haven't learned yet, substituting with more power cleans for now.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.