[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9
File: image.png (179 KB, 480x278) Image search: [Google]
image.png
179 KB, 480x278
Hi, /fit/. Are black beans good for you? I'm trying to find wholesome foods that are high protein/low in fat.
>>
>>35573118
If they're not, I've been doing it wrong for a long time and still getting good results. I also recommend lentils.
>>
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=2
>>
>>35573118
Yes. Combine with rice for a complete protein.
>>
Nothing is good for you.
>>
They are also high in estrogen
>>
>>35573118
Yes, of course.

You don't really have to ask if a plant-based food is good for you.
>>
>>35573135
Can you explain this complete protein thing
>>
>>35573149
Guys is deadly nightshade good for you?
>>
>>35573330
Yes, I grind some up into my PWO drink.
>>
>>35573330
Its implied that the food is edible and available and won't kill you

You should eat it though
>>
>>35573149
>plant-based
Such a stupid phrase. What else is in beans? Cheese?
>>
White beans are heaps better
Fuck the blacks
>>
>>35573118
I;m Thinking About Thos Beans
>>
do black beans rot?

I found a container with 6 months old black beans

it smells funny, can I rinse them and cook them?
>>
>plant proteins
wowitsfuckingnothing.jpeg
>>
I prefer lentil. Basically the same shit but you don't have to soak it the entire day to cook.
>>
>>35573118
chopped onions, a bayleaf, a bit of spices for tast, and some With some yellow rice.
Shit man. I could live off some good black beans and some yellow rice.
Throw some baked lemon chicken in. Fuck yeah.
>>
>>35573176
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complete_protein

Beans do not contain all of the amino acids in suffucient quantity, making them bad for buillding muscle on their own.

Soy beans are complete however.
>>
File: Kill me now.jpg (200 KB, 812x1114) Image search: [Google]
Kill me now.jpg
200 KB, 812x1114
>I eat plants for protein.
>>
can vs. bag?
tips please brah
i love beans but im getting away from the molasses/maple syrup/bacon types. also botulism?
>>
>>35575451
Canned is loaded with sodium and preservatives.
You'd usually end up diluting it. Water is the default but chicken stock or broth can add some extra flavor.
Dried beans are the way to go. They taste way better and you control what's in it.
>molasses/maple syrup/bacon
Oh you mean like baked beans?
That's shit. I only eat that shit on the 4th of July.
>>
>>35575556
thats just the shit i was raised on desu i dont really eat it anymore. pic related is what i usually buy and one can will last me lots of meals. no sodium. but how bad is eating canned beans all the time.
>>
File: omnomnom.jpg (44 KB, 278x457) Image search: [Google]
omnomnom.jpg
44 KB, 278x457
>foods that are high protein/low in fat
lean meat
>>
I am a fan of beans
>>
>>35575723
Good for you
>>
>>35575695
Low sodium is still full of preservatives if not more. They still have to make sure the shit in the can stays fresh.
Beans are good for you but I don't recommend eating them too much unless you want to be bloated and farting nonstop.
>>
>>35573118
Yeah, they're great.

>>35573176
The idea of a complete protein is absolute horse shit that has been disowned by even the person who came up with it. It comes from studies on rats initially.
>>
>>35575163
Dried beans last ages mate
>>
>>35575451
Canned beans are more convenient. I keep them around just to add to my smoothies. Dried beans taste a lot better
>>
to save you the time, OP:

COOKED black beans have ~7g protein per half cup

when you see figures higher than that, like 25g/half cup thats for RAW UNCOOKED BEANS. Raw beans are literally rock hard and undigested. Dont fuck up your macros because you thought you were getting 50g of protein from that cup of beans.
>>
Cowpeas are better, they have a superior protein/carb ratio. They're like lentils 2.0, because their protein is complete.

>>35575257
You're dumb.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4331/2

>>35575925
people who can reason weight their food before cooking.
though the 1:3 (raw:cooked) proportion for beans is pretty trusty
one should always prefer the USDA data rather than user input data, like often happens on myfitnesspal and most calorie counters.

you can identify the USDA database in these apps by the title format. they specify better if the food is cooked, which type it is, if the seeds are mature and whatnot.
>>
File: Mufasa.jpg (11 KB, 350x354) Image search: [Google]
Mufasa.jpg
11 KB, 350x354
>Complete protein
>>
Beans give me crazy protein farts, like seriously rancid stuff... But what are you going to do.
>>
File: Quinoa_2732026b.jpg (54 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
Quinoa_2732026b.jpg
54 KB, 620x387
Get your pleb shit out of the way. Here is the real king of planty protons.
>>
>>35576028

>people who can reason weight their food before cooking

This is a secret art not many know.
>>
>>35576143
>eating the blood of Bolivian farmers
>>
>>35576179

Exactly why it's so good.
>>
Ya beans r cheap and easy to cook and tasty but its easy to eat too much
>>
>>35576179
This. You're killing South American gains, you monster.
>>
File: ironpill.jpg (94 KB, 787x764) Image search: [Google]
ironpill.jpg
94 KB, 787x764
>>35576261

Fuck Africans.

*tips protein shake*
>>
>>35573145
>>35573145
so is your mom's pussy but that doesn't stop me from eating it
>>
>>35575771
>bloated and farting nonstop

this is such a shame. serioously.
beans are so fucking delicious. it sucks that you have to pick between social events and beans.
>>
>>35576156
it's not a secret. if you ever had to weight your food to count calories, you might have come across the doubt of: 'how much water am I weighing with this?',
'how were the beans of the data sample cooked?',
'how soft did they cook it?',
'did it had thin or thick juice?',
'did they drain the water off the spoon before weighing, like I do?'.

even if the method they use is clear, it can be inconsistent and so you could be eating much less or significantly more than you should.

but for beans cooked until soft, but firm (skin mostly intact) and weighed with minimum juice (drained) the 1:3 proportion can be trusted.
it also works for lentils, iirc.

you can guess what the ratio is by matching the calories of both cooked and raw beans and dividing the cooked weight by the raw one.

assuming it's not cooked until it's pasty (easy to do with a pressure cooker), you can trust that there are no losses between the two.
>>
>>35576473
>>35575771
before cooking, soak the beans, drain the yellowish/brown and soak them some more, then drain them again and cook them in new water. it's a substance in the beans (and lentils as well) that makes you fart too much.

if you follow the steps you'll be farting on acceptable levels again.
>>
>>35575771
never had an issue with the farting because my body is already used to lentils and such...you arent cooking stuff properly more than likely..
>>
>>35576768
this anon knows. it shouldnt be an issue.
>>
>>35576768
>>35576798
holy fuck. don't give me false hopes here.
does this work for canned beans too?
btw, had that issue with black lentils as well and they're the most delicious ones.
>>
Is anyone else allergic to black beans (and just black beans)? Whenever I eat them, my mouth gets itchy and inflamed. It's never required an emergency room visit, but it's been very uncomfortable the last couple times I've had them in large concentrations. They don't bother me when they're a small part of dish at a Mexican restaurant, just when there's a lot of them. No other food does this to me.
>>
They're great for you

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/increased-lifespan-from-beans/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/beans-beans-theyre-good-for-your-heart/

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/beans-and-the-second-meal-effect/
>>
>>35575853

so I can rinse them and they are good to eat?
>>
File: 1417384035472.jpg (122 KB, 563x802) Image search: [Google]
1417384035472.jpg
122 KB, 563x802
>>35576261
>not being South American master race
>>
File: 1363738007719.jpg (94 KB, 631x529) Image search: [Google]
1363738007719.jpg
94 KB, 631x529
>>35575838
>your body can synthesize amino acids that it can't synthesize
Vegetarian-induced mental retardation
>>
>>35576028
The scale they're using maxes out at 140, 100 is not a high score
>>
>>35575838
Yes now they use a scale called PDCAAS, which measures how well a protein profile matches human needs and ability to be digested for use as AA.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.