[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to take up boxing.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: hqdefault.jpg (26 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26 KB, 480x360
What is the best way of starting boxing? Do you just go to a club and ask? I've wanted to do it for a while but never really got the guts to do it, maybe finding out about it will make me go.
>>
You literally Google boxing gyms and it will show you all the boxing gyms near you. You go take a class and pay money you stupid fuck.
>>
File: 1370110335316.gif (2 MB, 625x477) Image search: [Google]
1370110335316.gif
2 MB, 625x477
>>35561277
Well, if you go to a club, they will definitely point you to the right direction.

What I've heard is you need to get your cardio straight because boxing requires a lot of that.

Other than that, I think you shouldn't learn by yourself before getting someone to show you how it's done. this is general for most martial arts as well.
>>
Thanks for the advice, think ill go give it a try maybe after summer when i;m cut a bit more.
>>
>>35561277

>go to philadelphia
>find Rocky's Restaurant
>tell him you are Apollo Creeds son
>get a routine from Rocky
>start boxing
>harass Rock until he becomes your Trainer
>tell Rocky you are going to move in with him now and theres nothing you can do
>congrats anon you are now a boxer
>>
stop being a faggot. just go in look for a trainer and tell him you want to learn how to box.

im willing to bet that at first theyll neglect you but dont be discouraged. they do that to know if you really want to stay and wont waste their time.

its hard to find a good boxing gym. if its one of those ymca, communityclub or something akin to that then chances are youre not gonna learn much. just the basic and nothing more. look for a gym with great pros.
>>
>>35561277
boxer here
google "boxing gyms (area here)"
ONLY go to a gym where they have athletes that actually fight. If they don't you are:
1: wasting your time by not actually boxing
2: probably being taught bullshit
Ask the owner about their boxing career, the other coaches careers, the past and present athletes who fought out of their gym. If there are decent fighters from the gym who are still at the gym then its probably good.

Go to the gym and ask if you can take a look around/watch their training. You want to see things like sparring, people working with coaches, shadowboxing, hitting bags etc. If the only thing happening is a group of people hitting meme pads together for "muh toning" its probably shit. I think there is a boxing general over at /asp/ too so you should check that out
>>
>>35561576
Thanks allot, may I ask what shadowboxing is? Never heard of it before. Also what are meme pads? Complete rookie here
>>
>>35561605
Shadowboxing is like sparring but you don't have an opponent, you just punch the air. Good for warming up and helps you get better rhythm as you fight as well as drilling your punches and footwork.

meme pads are actually called focus pads. A lot of shitty "box-fit" training use them. There is nothing wrong with them they just shouldn't make up much of your training. If people are using them in the gym it doesn't really matter - they have to pay the bills somehow and even good gyms run classes for people who don't want to boxing. The most important thing is that some of the fighters at the gym compete.
>>
>>35561277
watch a few Rocky movies then go to a bar and pick a fight. Repeat until you win.
>>
>>35561576

Boxer here as well; it's extremely important you learn proper strike/wrap technique or you're going to fuck your hands all up.
>>
>>35562412
fuck your hands all up, is that boxing slang or are you just as retarded as you made yourself out to be?

cunt
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.