[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you love lifting so much, why not just get a physically demanding
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9
File: 111111.jpg (90 KB, 710x533) Image search: [Google]
111111.jpg
90 KB, 710x533
If you love lifting so much, why not just get a physically demanding job, and get paid for it?
Why the gym and wasted energy?
Isn't the idea of going to a specific place and paying entry just to have access to a bunch of heavy things a bit absurd?
>>
File: 1312671543262.jpg (48 KB, 600x301) Image search: [Google]
1312671543262.jpg
48 KB, 600x301
because my desk job is more secure, gives me more money, and doesn't require additional training/certifications.

I'm better off at the desk job and lifting afterwards. It's all about time and money management.
>>
I have a physically demanding job and I go straight there after I finish at the gym. I dont count work as any kind of lifting since its something I have to do whereas the gym is somewhere I want to be.
>>
Because I don't want to wake up at 5am every morning. I also don't want a fucked up back and blown out knees by the time I'm 40.
>>
File: 2016-3.png (79 KB, 4064x3968) Image search: [Google]
2016-3.png
79 KB, 4064x3968
Being a severely depressed manchild without a valuable skill and the drive to acquire one is a full-time job.
>>
File: Romeob8.png (6 KB, 478x373) Image search: [Google]
Romeob8.png
6 KB, 478x373
>>35558082
>>
I did, and I lost like 80+ pounds in a year. Shit job though, current one is much better
>>
I'm a mechanic so i'm always picking up heavy shit or getting a forearm burn turning wrenches.
>>
I joined the infantry thinking the same thing as OP and now I have a blown out knee and can't run 1/2 mile without pain
>>
>>35558243
You we're a POG at heart.
>>
>>35558243
In the infantry it was bound to happen
>8 year infantry vet
>med discharged fucked up shoulder
That payout was fucking sweet though.
>>
>>35558254
keep mirin' my cib
>>
File: nathan-for-you.jpg (22 KB, 334x500) Image search: [Google]
nathan-for-you.jpg
22 KB, 334x500
I actually have a great alternative to the gym, if any of you guys are around in New York, I'll let the first 100 of you join free. The basic idea is that you use natural methods of lifting, ie: basically just lifting and moving heavy objects the way humans used and were meant to, the only easy way to exercise every muscle in the human body. We'll have a house filled with props and you guys will move them as quickly as possible into the trucks, another group will move them back in. You'll get the results you've always wanted in a matter of days
>>
framing carpenter here, i have the job you're basically describing.
it isn't enough, even if you lift things as heavy as possible and carry them around all day long, you get used to it in a few months, there's no way to progress as efficiently as it is in the gym
however doing fun stuff like farmers walks and strongman style stuff with heavy kettlebells and axels/tires is more of what you're thinking about and has a lot of benefits
>>
>>35558297
that was some seriously funny shit. he got a guy to go on national television multiple times saying this shit seriously and it was all a fucking joke for a funny show.
>>
That's like saying if you love golf and need a job
why don't you just become a caddy so you don't have to work and youre still around golf
>>
>>35558323
I have a conspiracy theory that 9/11 was really just another one of his viral marketing campaigns
>>
>>35558283
Where were you stationed at? Fort Lewis here
>>
>>35558331
i'm listening
>>
>>35558082
Because chucking pork boxes into train cars only works your traps, biceps, forearmd anf spinal cord

Join the military and get paid to work out
>>
>>35558340
I'm finishing out my contract training room in carson then college in tennessee
>>
>>35558340
Bruh Im working with recruiters in Tacoma. Going for 42R

Goin to MEPS on wednesday
>>
Because I'll make bank after I finish my law degree and a few years later either land some cushy legal consul job at an international company or enter academia

I lift to better myself but that's only one aspect, I also want to better myself intellectually and in regards to status (superficial but sadly that's the world we live in)
>>
>>35558230
Mechanics dont work hard LOL

Try doing something in construction
>>
>>35558372
good luck fellow armybro sorry for calling you a pog all in good fun

>>35558379
Fuck Tacoma piece of shit city. Portland and Seattle are way better. What mos is that?
>>
I run a small business where I rarely have to deal with other people. If I do, its usually 3x and only for a minute. I pretty much workout at work while watching movies and occasionally have to answer a phone. I have my best workouts at work because there are no distractions. Best part is there is a thick metal bar that I use for pull-ups that faces the tv.
>>
>>35558620
I also used to work at a stone yard where everybody smoked weed in our secret area. It was awesome, and I even had a little workout area that I would use. Pretty much worked out and read a ton of books. We would ride our fork lifts to the smoke area and smoke bowls and pass the pipe while on the forklift. Work required moving and stacking rocks or loading 50lb bags of sand into peoples cars. Loved it.
>>
>>35558418
The show 'COPS' always has Tacoma in it lol. Tacoma does suck compared to Seattle. Fuck Portland and the whole boring state of Oregon though. Everything cool about Portland is shit they copied from Seattle.
>>
>>35558119
This and only this

aaaaaaaahhhhh thread/
>>
because i paid to get my computer science degree and i enjoy working at IBM
>>
>>35558082
Energy you enjoyed wasting isn't energy wasted :-DDDDDDDDD
>>
>>35558082
Because grunt work has terrible hours, union bullshit, pays like ass, and will snap your shit up faster than you can say "workers comp."
>>
There isn't a physically demending job that doesn't rape your tendons by the time your'e 40.
>>
>>35558895
As an apprentice mechanic my starting salary is $16/hour.
If I get fired I get 6 months pay.
My overtime pay is 50% extra per hour for the first two hours, 100% following hours. 200% on Sundays.

Stop being a snob
>>
>>35559383
lol is that supposed to impress us
>>
>>35559383
Sorry you're an idiot and get bossed around by soccer moms.
>>
File: giphy[1].gif (635 KB, 245x200) Image search: [Google]
giphy[1].gif
635 KB, 245x200
homegym mustard race comin through~
>>
>>35558311
i was a framer senpai but i found it was fucking my back way too much. moved onto decking/pergolas and gains have increased,
>>
>>35558418
42R is army bandperson
>>
>>35559383
16 per hour is pretty shit bro. I made 13 an hour delivering pizza.
>>
>>35558082
Get a physically demanding job, and learn the difference, fgt pls
>>
Just start a livestock farm. Having to hold down and load cows will give you a work out.
>>
>>35558082
Because
It is dull and unfufilling work
I want to make a decent salary
My coworkers would be highschool dropouts, drug addicts, illegal immigrants, and felons
My joints would be fucked by the time I turned 40
With my current job as an engineer, 40 bucks a month for a gym membership is a pittance

There is a huge difference between spending an hour at the gym 4 or 5 times a week and spending 40+ hours every week doing manual labor you fucking dummy
>>
>>35558082
>If you love lifting so much, why not just get a physically demanding job, and get paid for it?
That's a remarkably stupid question.
Manual labor jobs pay very poorly, why would I ignore my skillsets that make me much better money?
>>
>>35558082
>Implying anyone actually enjoy going to the gym and doesn't just go there to get their dick in fleshholes.
>buying the "gym is a lifestyle" meme
>all my lulz
>>
>>35558297
>moving heavy objects the way humans used and were meant to
No, your body is not a machine for moving heavy objects. Talk to any old-time labourer and learn.
>>
>>35558082
>If you love lifting so much, why not just get a physically demanding job, and get paid for it? Why the gym and wasted energy?
Because lifting is a fashion choice. Gyms are trendy, lower class physical work isn't.

And yes, that means everyone who goes to the gym and does internet workouts is a hipster kid. Every single one.
>>
>>35559723
so bitter. so mad. don't sound too happy senpai
>>
>>35558136
How are you holding up?
>>
Because I love music too and that why I'm working in a music store.
>>
>>35560718
Sounds like a dream to be honest, doesnt sound like it pay much tho. Which album is your favourite at the moment?
>>
File: 836DAaL.gif (376 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
836DAaL.gif
376 KB, 480x270
>>35560080
>Gyms are trendy
>hipster kid
>>
>>35558136
i know this feel
>>
>>35558119
I have a physical job and my back and knees are indeed fucked up, not even 30 yet.
>>
>>35558082
Well, I enjoy going to the gym to pick up heavy things. Doing it for money (and typically pretty shitty money for most physical labor jobs) would turn it into a chore. Better to just keep it something I can do on my own time and schedule to relax
>>
>>35559723
This is how mad people who get a full education are ... glad I dropped out. I'll be happy with my semi-poverty, thank you very much!
>>
>>35558082
Because I don't know any physically demanding job with a six figure salary, so why should I abandon my IT career for some stupid shit tier mover job?
>>
>>35559448
>>35559520
Key word in anons post was "apprentice", Give him 4 years experience and he'll be making bank off of those soccer moms and college grads who don't have a clue how to work on their own shit. And the kicker? He won't have a mountain of credit crippling student loans following him into his 30s
>>
File: 1428188226984.jpg (291 KB, 800x778) Image search: [Google]
1428188226984.jpg
291 KB, 800x778
There's a gym in my office building for us to use for free, because healthy workers = less sick days.

I usually go there when I finish work, but if things are slow in the office I take an hour or so off to go down there.

Fucking love that gym. 3 power cages, and they're always free. 95% of the people who use the gym regularly do it to lose weight, so the treadmills and stationary bikes are the only things that are sometimes taken.
>>
because im not a moron
>>
File: topkek.png (103 KB, 1058x336) Image search: [Google]
topkek.png
103 KB, 1058x336
>>35562144
>making bank
>equivalent of what I was making right out of college
Good one, m8
>>
>>35558082
do concrete, make 45k a year get 4 month paid vacation through seasonal layoff.

drawbacks are mostly that you work with some pretty big peices of shit sometimes depending on your crew. If you are smart you can avoid long term injuries
>>
I have a physical labor job, and you will NEVER get an aesthetic body from them. They will just break your body and cause injuries eventually.
>>
Office jobs is where the money is at, C.R.E.A.M.

Accounting bro reporting in
>>
>>35558119

> this

the movement and lifting in physical labor jobs is often just awkward bending and twisting shit that doesn't even get you buff it just fucks up your joints.

> also lifting for 8+ hours is no bueno
> also getting treated like a slave is no bueno
> also working with hicks who can barely spell their own name is no bueno

I've done physical labor jobs, usually they suck dick. They could be good if the bosses were respectable and the coworkers had brains, but that is almost never the case.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.