[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My physical therapist told me, and I agree with this. Is that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: Brad-Pitt-ripped-abs-troy.jpg (18 KB, 296x348) Image search: [Google]
Brad-Pitt-ripped-abs-troy.jpg
18 KB, 296x348
My physical therapist told me, and I agree with this. Is that going ass to grass on the squat which is an explosive movement will put sheer force on your knee tendons and can hurt them. If you are genetically prone to having not so great tendons squats can be incredibly dangerous to you if you go ATG on them. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1360353503133.jpg (74 KB, 632x840) Image search: [Google]
1360353503133.jpg
74 KB, 632x840
I think you're both retards m8
>>
Start light and your knees will be able to handle it even if you are prone to knee injury. Unless they are/were already severely injured in which case you're fucked.
>>
>>35554117
Actually, half-squatting is more stressful for knees. Your pt is a retard m8.
>>
>>35554117
I agree. I physically cannot go down that low and back up without tweaking my knee. DO LOWBAR. I do lowbar and can go slightly below parallel. Lowbar places the strain more on the hips. Have a wide stance. Trust me. Use knee sleeves.
>>
>>35554179
That's true. But there is a middle ground. A slightly below parallel squat. It's much better for bad knees.
>>
>>35554117
Only if you don't go through full range of motion. Or if you wear knee sleeves.
>>
File: 1448004627593.jpg (33 KB, 737x715) Image search: [Google]
1448004627593.jpg
33 KB, 737x715
>>35554117
I think you would need to have some kind of disease or genetic defect for your tendons to be at a great risk.

Or you would need to be roided out going past the weights your tendons were designed to endure.
>>
>>35554117
OP is talking tendinosis of the patellar tendon, which ATG can cause.
>>
File: 1450169266603.gif (981 KB, 342x239) Image search: [Google]
1450169266603.gif
981 KB, 342x239
>>35554188
Your advice is bad. Your doing something wrong with your ATG form or you have must have had an injury that didn't heal right.
>>
>>35554262
Torn acl, so yeah. But I thought that was what we were talking about.
>>
>>35554188
>that guy using straps, knee sleeves, and a belt to squat 1.5 plate lowbar
>>
>>35554305
Nope just knee sleeves, literally just compression, not knee wraps.
>>
>>35554279
>that guy who squats with torn acl and gives advice saying how bad squats are for the knees
>>
>>35554337
Haha, the guy said, "my physical therapist" so my bad for assuming he had a knee injury. Tore my acl over ten years ago when very young. Squats, (at least lowbar) don't seem to affect me negatively.
>>
sheering forces are highest on the ACL during the first 15-30 degrees of the motion. deeper down hamstrings take more of the load.
>>
>>35554421
Did you get it reconstructed? Because after all that time and a successful reconstruction you shouldn't be even mentioning it. Especially in the context of squats, that don't really stress acl all that much.
>>
>>35554442
I did. But tore it again and got it reconstructed again....so I just try to be cautious and smart about it. I didn't tear it while lifting weights, just fast movements. I only started lifting weights many years after tearing it.
>>
>>35554421
I had patellar tendinOSIS on my knee. I stopped squatting for 3 months and it got a bit better. Now the bar is giving my knee some pain. I was just going to paralell before /fit/ told me to go all the way down but my PT said parallel is fine
>>
>>35554466
>just fast movements

That's how it usually happens. Lifting usually prevents injuries, since bigger, stronger muscles take a lot of the load off ligaments. Unless you do something retarded, that is.
>>
>>35554442
Should also mention, my range of motion is a bit smaller on torn acl knee so that could be why atg doesn't work for me.
>>
>>35554486
Yeah that's why I'm doing this. I wanted something to compete in that doesn't have unexpected jerky movements so I have powerlifting.
>>
>>35554117
Your physical therapist is a fucking idiot, you're a fucking idiot.

This is the equivalent of saying "Herp derp seat-belts can cause chaffing and skin irritation so you shouldn't use them!"

"Too much protein is bad for kidneys!"

"Running can cause shin splints!"

There is a pro and a con to everything in life.

Fag.
>>
Ass to Grass is a stupid meme that people just do to feel badass.
>>
>>35556553
I have tendinosis. How can you try to rebuttal anything when you dont have knowledge of it?
>>
>>35554117
She's right.

ATG is for olympics. Even power lifters only just go to parallel.
>>
>>35556851
My knee actually hurts all of a sudden. But it was fine till I started squatting again
>>
>>35557310
bump
>>
File: 1439221117786.jpg (173 KB, 1403x981) Image search: [Google]
1439221117786.jpg
173 KB, 1403x981
L2 consciously contract glutes and hammies at the bottom of a squat. Here's some relevant info concerning squat depth.
>>
people have been squatting ass to grass for centuries you retard, look at how people sat around before woodworking was a big thing, hell look at most of modern asia. if you can't squat ass to grass you need to work on your mobility because it is a natural movement, and since everybody spends most their day sitting in a chair now, a full deep squat is a difficult exercise when it should come naturally
>>
>>35558299
Yes but this guy has a knee injury. Also, were they squatting 250, 300 plus pounds?
>>
>>35558285
I was just talking to someone about this today and wished I had this pic. You can clearly see that below parallel sinks the impulse of the direction change into quads/glutes/hams while parallel AND above parallel sink the impulse into ACL/PCL

saved thanks m8
>>
>>35554305
Why the fuck does anyone use straps for any amount of squat weight. Saw some dude using them for a 2pl8 front squat. Like where the fuck is the bar going to go?
>>
>>35558317
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmelzf3Hhos&ab_channel=slightlyoverdosed
fugggg rip their knees and backs!! so dangerous
>>
It's all mobility. If you've never done physical activity in your life and can't squat down to take a shit, and all of a sudden you're all 'gotta squat A2G bro, friends don't let friends skip leg day lmao!', you're obviously going to get injured. Then you turn into 'squats hurt your knees bro!'

You can't suddenly expect your body to be capable of doing a movement you've never or rarely done, and expect it to be beneficial. If people took a step back and honestly assessed their bodies, or got an actual weightlifting coach to tell them how shit they are, squatting wouldn't be this big debate it's always been.
>>
>>35558342
That picture shows that just below parallel is fine though.
>>
>>35558356
Dude, I think people who have healthy knees should do atg if that's what they prefer. I'm just saying that for me, lowbar slightly below parallel is best. I do agree that everyone should go at least parallel though.
>>
>>35558355
Only acceptable for front squatting with a wrist injury
>>
>>35558376
Lowbar is a garbage movement. Nobody should do it. It hides mobility problems, is an unnatural movement, and has no carryover to anything else. Tipping over and sticking your ass way back is not squatting. Pulling your hips down between your ankles with an upright torso is an actual squat, and something every human should be able to do. If you can't, gaining the ability to do so should be your priority, not finding some retarded way to lift weight because some internet memelord says so.

The lowbar squat is the worst lifting misinformation on the internet, spread with good intentions by retards who've only been lifting for 0-2 years who still think it's worth a damn telling all the noobs to do it, perpetuating the cycle.
>>
>>35558419
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5zrloYWwxw
Tell that to Chris Duffin you dumb piece of shit
>>
>>35558419
I literally cannot do atg or highbar because I cannot get a complete range of motion in one of my knees. It cannot be fixed. So that's why I do lowbar. I can see it carrying over for sports like wrestling and football for sure.
>>
>>35554117
Serious question fit:

I'm new to lifting, about a month and a half in. I was going parallel with my squats when I started, but the past two weeks I've been ATG. Since I've been going ATG, I seem to have hip pain... somewhat like hip dysplasia???

It's only the left side of my hip, like my femur is having issues going into the socket and so my hip pops when I walk. It's every single step, it's not audible but if I put my hand on my left hip I can physically feel a "pop". And I mean every step I take since I started going ATG.

Someone said that it's either hip dysplasia or snapping hip. I'm really hopping it's snapping hip and not dysplasia, that's serious from what I was told. Has anyone experienced this, do I need to go see doc? Or is it because my hip abductors are weak and ATG squats are bringing that out dramatically? Any way to fix this without going to doc? Halp.
>>
>>35558457
Yeah dude, something about going atg or way below parellel gives me sheer pain for days in my left knee. The patellar tendon in it. Therapist told me not to but just doing it even at my house with just me fucks my shit up, im never doing it again
>>
>>35558491
Yeah dude, I feel your pain. Just on the opposite end. lol

Not doing ATG, will go parallel though.
>>
>>35558472

You might also be squatting a bit more on one side than the other, you might be pushing one leg more than the other etc. Get off the internet and get a coach.
>>
>>35554241
>OP is talking tendinosis of the patellar tendon, which ATG can cause.

You mean, which poor form can cause... Same reason Oly coaches cue "knees out!" ad nausea.
>>
>>35559119

ur right how could we forget every recreational lifter has an olympic coach checking their form.

thanks anon

you're definitely not a retard.
>>
>>35559151
>ur right how could we forget every recreational lifter has an olympic coach checking their form.
>thanks anon
>you're definitely not a retard.

Cheap alternative... record yourself shouting "knees out, you cunt!" so you can replay on a continuous loop on your ipod whilst squatting...

This way it doesn't matter that your too poor to afford coaching, and you'll also be reminded that you're a cunt with each rep.
>>
>>35554117
why are you even asking for our thoughts? Your PHYSICAL THERAPIST, that is at least 7 years of education told you that. It means it's probably true.
>>
>>35559248

or we can just say don't go ATG if you're a recreational lifter.

wow isn't that more simple.

glad I could help you out tonight.
>>
>>>35559248 (You)
>or we can just say don't go ATG if you're a recreational lifter.
>wow isn't that more simple.
>glad I could help you out tonight.

perhaps you're not cut out for this lifting stuff... have you considered crochet?
>>
>>35559405

perhaps you need to realise everyone who lifts isn't a 17 year old in his first 6 months of starting strength who thinks the epitome of fitness is le ebin squats and gomad.

we get it, you're a fat teen.
>>
>>35554117
>sheer force on your knee tendons
Your physical therapist doesnt know what sheer force is.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.