[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifting shoes: olympic VS minimal
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10
Hello guys.

I have been happy for a long time with some old chucks for lifting. In my ideal life I'd lift barefoot because I like being as natural as possible on this stuff. I never use belts, neither gloves, my only accessory is chalk and well, I confess I use straps for DLs. My wrists are not that strong and they reached their max. The only way to keep going forward with the rest was using straps.

So I have this philosophy, but also I love olympics. I am a regular gym guy but I have some olympic movements in my routine and when I have to do some research about how to do stuff I always rely on athletes to see form, etc.

So, lately my chucks are nearly dead, one day the sole will fall apart and it will be ridiculous in the gym. So I am thinking about changing for another shoe. The question is, go minimal or go lifting shoe?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
>>
Those are some cool looking shoes friend. Where can I cop a pair friend? Netherlands btw
>>
>>35551653
You're a faggot.
>>
Olympic shoes are a worthwhile investment.

It isn't even that they have the heel, it's that they brace the foot in for a solid base of lifting. Force is transferred from the ground up. Why not have the first point of contact nice and tight?

>I like being as natural as possible
Watch this video, please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lytCL3rm3Xg
>>
>>35551653
lol why not just get some new chucks and some lifting shoes for you oly lifts?
>>
Is there any weightlifting that look like a normal shoe?
>>
>>35552023
Same thing your mother said yesterday when I visited her.

>>35552004
Nike Trainers 1.0. I think you can get a pair easily even if you live in Antarctica.

>>35552049
>>35552268
Very good video, and very good point about stability and support. My question here would be, why you shouldn't develop the strength necessary in your feet/legs to provide that support?

Also the thing is, if lifting shoes would be 50 bucks I'd have a pair no doubt. But they are damn expensive and it feels like a bit too much to spend IDK 150 bucks on a pair of shoes you're going to use in 25% of your exercises.
>>
>>35552404
Another point: there are not any stores in my city selling lifting shoes. So I can't try a pair.
>>
>>35552420
This is why I have never brought lifting shoes I live in a small town and can't try any on
My foot size seems to be between 10-12 depending on the brand so trying them on is critical
>>
>>35552404
>>35552420
I bought my AdiPowers 1 size down from my regular shoes, and they fit perfectly. This seems to be the general consensus.

>why you shouldn't develop the strength necessary in your feet/legs to provide that support?
You simply can't. Your foots natural arch isn't something to be fucked with. This is the benefit of a weightlifting shoe, wherein your natural arch is accommodated to a flat base. Trying to develop the strength to bear such a massive load is both counter-productive and dangerous.

>150 bucks
No, check RogueFitness and the Adidas site. They go on sale for $75 generally.
>>
>>35552559
My point is, when you do BP, OHP, stuff like that, you don't use any protection, being the weight you lift unnatural and beyond what would be normal for a human being, which is one of the points of Rippetoe. So, why you don't use any special equipment on that but you have on the shoes? And if you talk about being on a flat base, that's the floor. I don't know, I know you are probably right about this, but I still don't see why the human body can't develop strength to do exercises barefoot. Like running barefoot, we all should be able to do that. But with all those super padded shoes we are kind of evolving backwards.

BTW I'm spanish and in Rogue Europe they don't have shoes.
>>
>>35552404
>if lifting shoes would be 50 bucks I'd have a pair
I thought the exact same thing, which is why I was so fucking pumped when I found a pair of Nike Romaleos 2s for that price on Craigslist. No wear either.
>>
>>35552404
buy do wins you stupid hippy
>>
File: 12353543254.jpg (63 KB, 500x477) Image search: [Google]
12353543254.jpg
63 KB, 500x477
>>35552703
f a m, you're thinking about this too much. you're starting to sound like a hippy. just buy the damn shoes if you want them and stop worrying about "muh natures intention".
>>
>>35553101
I hope this recommendation is not serious, all I've read about that shoes is that they are a piece of crap. Nice criteria there.

Also, as I pointed out, Rogue doesn't have shoes in their european store.
>>
>>35553162
I am not gonna spend that much without doing some research. What do you want people to talk about in a fitness forum? TFW no girlfriend and all that shit? CBT? I am not into that homosexual crap sorry.

Guys any opinions on Adipowers VS Powerlifts by Adidas? Powerlifts are like half of the price of the Adipowers, but still not exactly cheap.
>>
>>35553207
Powerlifts are not as durable or hard-soled as the Adipowers so over time they will compress more than the adipowers will.
>>
>>35553207
Buy the power perfect 2 or the adistar. Powerlifts are cheap crossfit shoes, Adipowers are too expensive and you won't notice the difference.
>>
>>35554412
>>35554449
Thanks a lot for the reviews, one less element in the equation.
>>
File: Risto_Sports.jpg (381 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Risto_Sports.jpg
381 KB, 1080x1920
A good pair of lifting shoes is worth it i'd say. I got a pair of shoes from Risto Sports (along with a shirt and some straps) and they're awesome.
>>
>>35551653
You don't use any of the things that help you, except you're such a bitch you use straps on deadlift, the one lift you don't really need gear for. Lol kill yourself.
>>
>>35557217
How long did it take between when you ordered and you got them?
>>
>>35553207
Get the do-wins. I got a pair for about $95. I might buy some Romaleos if I get some extra cash to spend.
>>
>>35551653
Get wrestling or boxing shoes.
>>
File: 2016-Adidas-Adipowers.jpg (80 KB, 670x540) Image search: [Google]
2016-Adidas-Adipowers.jpg
80 KB, 670x540
>>35552372
What's your definition of normal? Most shoes now are going to high tech plastic shit and looking more like your standard flashy running shoe. Like Adidas' new Adipower with the fancy lacing system.

Which is annoying because basically every weightlifter wants a more classic leather shoe with wooden heel, which is why the old Asics shoes are making such a resurgence.
>>
File: asicsTOW727.jpg (452 KB, 2048x1232) Image search: [Google]
asicsTOW727.jpg
452 KB, 2048x1232
>>35558833
Here are the Asics for comparison
>>
>>35552420
No one sells WL shoes in actual stores. Maybe there are massive shoe stores in America that have literally every shoe from every manufacturer or something, but it's just too niche a product for anyone to stock. Nike doesn't even have the Romaleos on their own website.

You will probably find the Reebok crossfit lifter shoes in real stores, but they will probably be marked up to an insane degree.
>>
>>35557217
I only ever hear about Ristos falling apart and being generally shit.
>>
File: M45527_01.jpg (53 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
M45527_01.jpg
53 KB, 640x640
Crossfit lite tr. Mark bell helped design them with Reebok. Ignore the "crossfit" in the name, they're basically a pair of chucks engineered specifically for powerlifting. They're very affordable and even so comfortable that I bought a pair for daily use outside of lifting. Hell, Reebok even offers a fully customizable color and material too if you want them a certain way. But that those are 115$. Each pair I own I got from Amazon for 60-70$.
>>
File: 8147.jpg (3 MB, 2777x2616) Image search: [Google]
8147.jpg
3 MB, 2777x2616
Are you actually doing weightlifting? They're really only of use if you're snatching and cleaning. To help you get into a more upright and deep position than 99% of people have the mobility to achieve. If you're all you're doing is lowbar memesquats and bench presses, you don't need weightlifting shoes.

I have been lifting in WL shoes for about four years. I love doing basically all my lifting in them, and I even prefer doing conventional deadlifts in them, on the rare occasion I do that lift. But it is NOT worth spending $200 on a sport-specific shoe just to do general stuff in the gym. If you want to get into weightlifting, they are crucial. But that's kind of a cart before the horse situation.
>>
>>35553207
got my adiPowers for 90bucks on sale. just wait until they go on sale to buy. Amazon sometimes does -25% on shoes and thats when i got mine.
>>
>>35558951
That's a fucking solid sale. I got my Adipowers when they had just been released from Eastbay with 20% off so they were $160 instead of 200. They've been going strong for three or four years, barely any wear.
>>
>>35558932
>i have no idea what I'm talking about
literal 1 plate squatting trash talking like a know-it-all
>>
>>35558998
>>35558998
They're weightlifting shoes. Not walking around Planet Fitness shoes. They only reason they exist is for weightlifters to snatch and clean. You don't need them if you don't do these exercises. They are beneficial if you squat like a weightlifter, but you can keep using flat shoes if you do rippetoe bendovers instead.
>>
>>35559038
>i still have no idea what I'm talking about
>>
>>35559053
Please, enlighten us about why starting strength faggots on the internet should wear $200 shoes designed for a specific sport
>>
>>35559078

Not him, but:

Nobody is saying you have to buy $200 shoes. You can get powerlift 2.0s for like $65, and although they're not amazing, they'll get the job done for most.

Weightlifting shoes are also more than just a heel to receive a snatch or clean in a more upright position. They have a bunch of other benefits (sick arch support, cupped heel, flush sole, stiff leather, metatarsal strap) that make them attractive for low bar. Go watch an IPF meet, more people will be squatting low bar in weightlifting shoes than flats.
>>
>>35558932

you're fucking dumb. Let me explain why.

The raised heel allows someone who is not otherwise flexible enough to reach a deep squat position. This applies to back squats too.

You must not deadlift all that well. The raised heel in a conventional deadlift is actually hindering you. The best way to explain why this is by imagining a pair of WL shoes raising your heels by 6 inches.

This is objective. Apply basic anatomy to the concept of levers from physics (basic, basic vector mechanics) and you can find a rigorous mathematical proof as to why you're a huge faggot.
>>
Anyone ever tried lifting in Onitsuka Tiger Mexico 66s? looks comfy imo but its flat soled.
>>
>>35558932
>>35559038
>>35559182

I still have a pair of old chucks with the sole almost gone. I need a new pair of shoes, the exercises for what I'd be using the would be squats, Power Cleans and DLs. I have a fucked up shoulder but I'd like to learn the Snatch. And also at some point I'd like to do olympic weightlifting.

It seems the Power Perfects are the best choice here by now.
>>
I just bought cheap adipowers second hand in nearly new condition after finding this thread

Thanks bros
>>
I use oly shoes for squats and non cushioned running shoes for everything else.
>>
>>35559693
What did you pay for them? I tried to find a pair used and I couldn't.
>>
>>35552404
wei-rui are cheap and good
>>
>>35551653
>I like being as natural as possible
>I never use betls
>I use straps because my wrists are too weak

Never gonna make it. Train your grip, don't depend on an unnecessary piece of equipment.

Also, buy a pair of adipowers or something with a raised heel for squats and olympic movements. For DLs go barefoot (with socks) and everything else it doesn't matter what shoe you wear.
>>
>>35552004 je hebt geen smaak
>>
>>35559891
In my gym it's not allowed to go barefoot for anything implying weights. For calisthenics and all that yes, but not for weights.

About the straps...what can I say. I got stuck because my wrists reached their limit. Started using straps and I keep going up. Don't you believe you can have weaker and stronger parts in your body? I don't want to not develop fully my back because my wrists can't keep going. As simple as that.
>>
>>35560143
Then chucks should be find fine for deadlifting, anything with a thin, flat, non compressible sole.

And stop bitching about your wrists, mine are 6.25 inches and I deadlift 180kg at 70kg 5'10. Also stop talking about 'wrists', your grip is shit, fix it.
>>
I got mixed feelings about going barefoot for dls. Any citations on that lads?
>>
>>35559781
$120 Aus dollaridoos
>>
>>35560209
You want to be as close to the floor for dl's as you can, barefoot obviously does that. All about leverages mang.
>>
>>35551653
wlshoes

go there

fuck off
>>
holy shit

i just realised who you are, i remember your posts from about six months ago, i knew something was weird about your writing

so did you end up further down the spectrum or what?
>>
>>35560200
I will give it another try now that my back is much stronger because of the straps. Still my wrists (yes, it's my wrists) have been one of my weak points, together with shoulders. This is not just me, I've been told by physiotherapists. And for what I recall, straps are a lot of times seen as the only tool for people doing powerlifting, strong man, all that. Anyway you pushed me, I'll try again. Thanks.

And now I don't know...it seems like at this point I'd only use the shoes for squats. What's bad about deadlifting in lifting shoes? I mean, in the end the deadlift is kind of the beginning of a power clean and even a snatch.
>>
you started the benefactor meme, didn't you
>>
>>35560512
Do static holds with deadlifts or dead hangs or plate holds. Anything really.

Also stick to being as close to the ground as possible with dl's. So barefoot or very thin soled shoes that are non compressible. The only way you could justify doing it in wl shoes is if you're doing it as an accessory to your Olympic lifts, but I'm from plg, not owg.

Good luck anon.
>>
>>35560592
It seems like I'll stick to chucks then, in the end. Will think about some powerperfects when I'll take more seriously the olympic lifts. Thanks to you.
>>
I got Adidas Powerlifts 2.0 for christmas, and they feel awesome for squats and frontsquats.
You sure dont need them, but it feels pretty fucking good, like your feet are glued to the ground.
Also the high heel helps to go atg if you squat highbar.
>>
>>35558852

UGLY AS SHIT
>>
>100$ for classic chucks
its not funny mates
>>
File: red_dmak_front_2.jpg (86 KB, 828x664) Image search: [Google]
red_dmak_front_2.jpg
86 KB, 828x664
Are lifting shoes like what Ryderwear makes just a meme? I feel like they are, but the reviews from a basic google search make them sound pretty good. pic related.
>>
Do they help your lift or something ?

I usually lift in socks
>>
>>35561489
wlshoes.com
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.