[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you guys explain crossfit to me?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: 1441776631036.jpg (38 KB, 454x605) Image search: [Google]
1441776631036.jpg
38 KB, 454x605
In my mind, gym has always been a way to be better at another sport, not an actual sport in itself (except of course for Oly lifting).

Now, I've only recently learned that there is a legit cult around it, i.e. championships, news sites, even star players like Rich Froning.

What does it have more tha an usual gym? Why does it attract so many people?
>>
>>35525834
First tell us who this semen demon is. For high test purposes of course.
>>
>>35525834
Crossfit is mainly an invention by bored first-worlders who feel they have too much time, are too healthy and have too much money.

It's always like that when people live are a little too wealthy and secure, they either try to help the poor to make the world fairer, get fat and lazy to satisfy their gluttony or literally try to kill themselves to "feel alive" or whatever.

Crossfit is the latter.
>>
>>35525887
Emily Ratzakowjki or something, the girl from the Blurred lines clip

>>35525897
Damn, how did you get to that conclusion?
>>
>>35525834
The best way I ever heard it described was this.
If working out was like hammering nails, cross fit is like hammering in as many nails as fast as you can and then bragging about how many of them are bent and how many times you smashed your fingers.
>>
>>35526003
Damn, well ok thanks
>>
File: Crossfit.webm (3 MB, 638x360) Image search: [Google]
Crossfit.webm
3 MB, 638x360
>>35525834
>>
>>35526252
never gets old.
>>
>>35526252
>>35526252
>That pregnant woman

For the love of god.
>>
>>35526252
>the police car

LOL
>>
crossfit is pretty simple alright?

so, you ever go to the gym and notice these dyel highschool faggots with their caps and tank tops thinking theyre big, trying to lift more than they obviously can? their form breaking, wiggling everywhere, but in the end the weight is "lifted"

well, usually someone comes along and tells them their form is off, they could hurt themselves, and they need to LOWER THE WEIGHT TO SOMETHING THEY CAN -ACTUALLY- FUCKING LIFT.

this shatters their feefees, its a reality check, they realize theyre not as strong as they thought.

now, some will take this as a normal teenage faggotry experience and learn and mature from this, others will make up a sport where they will instead say "fuck form, i totly lifted that". Crossfit is born
>>
>>35525834

https://www.reddit.com/r/crossfit/comments/3ymu4i/serious_how_do_poor_people_become_crossfitters/?sort=confidence

This is crossfit. It's a fucking cash grab.
>>
>>35525834
>>35525897
>>35528628
>>35528699

It can't be that bad right?

I have a friend who is definitely in way better shape than I am and he does Crossfit.

Just because lots of plebs sign up to it, and because you have WebMs of people hilariously fucking it up, doesn't mean the exercises themselves are bad does it?
>>
>>35526252
To be fair, at least they add some variety to their workouts.
>>
>>35525887
Watch gone girl

or just google her scenes on google or some shit

Also crossfit is a joke, people have gotten fit using old school methods for years, cross fit has gotten people in hospitals.
>>
>>35529645
>having webm's doesn't make it bad right?
of course not. And it varies by location and instructor too but generally form is not as much a priority as rep count and weight. That in itself, even if no one ever got hurt, is enough to make it bad.

>my friend is strong and does crossfit
People who are already strong and fit sign up for cross fit because they can do well with it since they are already strong and fit. Even if this doesn't apply to him and he got strong and fit by doing crossfit, doesn't make crossfit instruction good.
>>
guy who goes in my gm is a crossfiter.

There is a difference between guys who are competing and middle aged mums who ended up on wrong place.

He is buff as fuck, manlet build like a gorila, I think he has the strongest dead in gym ( lots of powerlifters in my gym)
>>
>>35529645

1) some of the issues caused by crossfit dont show up right away
2) lifting with bad form can get you gains but at same time cause the issues in 1)
3) he got in shape doing regular stuff
>>
>>35529971
>>35530204

Why are you so convinced that they don't teach good form? Surely having ANY instruction for form (which I am assuming they provide to at least a basic level) is better than all the chumps I see in the gym abusing the equipment and their bodies in hilarious ways

>>35530068

>There is a difference between guys who are competing and middle aged mums who ended up on wrong place.
This is what I'm thinking
>>
>>35530836
Because it takes hundreds of hours to master form and cross fit instructors go on something like a 16 hour or less course and learn how to do every single lift/exercise.
>>
>>35531330
Here's Rippetoe debating a crossfit marketing shill on why crossfit can be and in most cases usually is so dangerous.

http://youtu.be/LM_7pN-TJgM
>>
>>35528628
/thread

Also
>>35528699
Just look at the people who do it lol
>>
>>35526252
>not playing the benny hill theme over it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK6TXMsvgQg
>>
>>35529645
Crossfit has fundamental issues with its programming. In order to make long term progress in strength and conditioning it is necessary to perform core exercises like the deadlift with a certain regularity say every 2-3-4 days for a natty.

Crossfit has people doing this every 10 days, maybe even longer and this goes for most exercises except for those that only use bodyweigh. Probably because there require little or no equipment.

Normal people can't make progress in this way, exercises have to be repeated with a certain frequency. That's why so many crossfitters look like someone that has noob gains and then plateaued even though they go all the time.

People with good gains probably have a proper training routine and they like to mix in crossfit for fun, which is probably what it's best for.
Either that or their on steroids and can afford to exercise less often but intensely when they do and still make gains.
>>
>>35525834
Crossfit largely consists of barbell complexes, oly lifts, and "functional" movements.

There's nothing wrong with any of that but they also have trainers that do a very short crash course to become qualified and many of them are total shit.

Combine those two and make it extremely popular, and it's a perfect storm of stupidity that results in a lot of people getting hurt. You have trainers teaching people very technical lifts that they themselves don't know how to do and designing their own batshit routines in the name of "functionality." then there's that cult mindset that prevents people from questioning it or learning on their own.

Think about strongman, strongman competitors do deadlifts and Olympic lifts for reps, they flip tires, do a ton conditioning and weird functional movements like farmer walks, atlas stones, etc. The difference is most strongmen are already strong, they've been lifting for a while and know the difference between good and bad form and know what will cause injury even on lifts they've never tried before.

Crossfitters will do the same dangerous shit without ever learning to do it properly and they're encouraged by trainers who don't know either.
>>
>>35531497
Excellent post m80. I did some crossfit this week for shits and giggles (agreed I would try it with a relative) and found this particular gym to be agreeable and the "WODs" to not be incredibly difficult. Guy who owned it was a former powerlifter, so shit wasn't totally retarded, and the the two "WODs" I did were more oly-style (clean+jerk progression and conditioning after and a high pull+push press progression+conditioning) so I found it decent.

Not sustainable for long-term. My joints feel like shit. I purposely went slow and didn't cheat on form for reps (which is retarded) and it was more manageable.

Another huge positive was the quality of the equipment, racks, bars, bumpers, etc.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K18yWey17jM

check 42:34
>>
>>35525887
Do you literally live in a drainpipe?
>>
>>35531497
>every 2-3-4 days for a natty
>2 days between the same compound lift

Have you heard of recovery time? You really think you can deadlift/squat/bench every other day and not fuck yourself up? especially being a natty? Come on now. Even SS doesn't have you DL or bench every other day.
>>
Crossfit is for people that want to have fun. That's it.

They want to have the fun of hitting a new PR in Squat/Deadlift/Clean/Snatch/whatever lift but without all the hassle and work involved of actually laying out a coherent training program or logical programming.

So they invent a bunch of random activities to do that allow them to consistently hit new PRs or new records on things because it is easy to break a record on something if you only do it a few times in your life. Or better yet, the goal of the activity is just to get really tired and sore.

In this way, Crossfitters are always succeeding. They always feel good. They are always having fun.

It is a great business model and probably a nice group of people if you can afford to hang out with them. Terrible if you want to get better at a sport or improve in specific lifts.
>>
>>35525834

infinity elgintensity told me Rich Froning doesnt do crossfit. He trains using traditional methods and then shows up and smashes the crossfit games
>>
What is crossfit exactly? Explosive routine? Watched the webm, still don't get it.
>>
So yeah, I signed up for a beginnes course of crossfit. Already paid so I'll finish the month, but I already know I won't continue.
It's a circlejerk whee everone is highfiving eachother for dumb shit and I already know I won't make any significant progress doing this shit twice a week. Granted, if I did this more it'd be an ok excersise, but at 70 euro shekels a month for unlimited access it's way overpriced.
>>
>>35531372
300 hundred minutes, are you fucking kidding, why cant this bitch just own it and say 5 hours
>>
>>35533241
jesus...
>>
>>35533241
Brutal.
>>
>>35533241
thought she was gonna die there m8
>>
>>35531372
>Berger
and he's a fuckin burger xD
classic
>>
>>35526252
What the heck are those pullups?
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.