[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone taken an extended break from lifting and then went
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: 1449553613037.jpg (90 KB, 633x950) Image search: [Google]
1449553613037.jpg
90 KB, 633x950
Has anyone taken an extended break from lifting and then went back to it?

I wrecked myself in July of 2015 trying to deadlift 405 and snapped some shit up, I couldn't squat or deadlift for around 5 months and it became too depressing to continue working out without being able to do those moves so I stopped working out in October and here we are. I've come to hate myself for it, I've lost a lot of my gains and people are even starting to remark on it, so I'm determined to go back. I'm healed up now and I suppose this makes me a NYR'er but I didn't mean for that to be the case, it's just how the timing of my physical therapy worked out.

Experiences returning? Is 'muscle memory' actually real? Programs to get back mass quickly? Thanks /fit/, it's good to be back.
>>
>>35499472
Stfu you nyr
>>
>>35499597
excuse me
>>
>>35499472
>I wrecked myself in July of 2015 trying to deadlift 405 and snapped some shit

Lmao, you got memed on hard kid
>>
>>35499658
Lol I know, it was the worst. Tore iliopsoas and some muscle in the lumbar region.
>>
I just got back to the gym after 6 months due to a shoulder injury and was surprised at how much I could lift. I was afraid I had lost most of my strength but it was not the case

From a numbers perspective I am about 75-80% of what I was as far as my lifts.

I wasn't very strong to begin with tho (bench max 2 plate) so ymmv
>>
File: 1450113436032.gif (1 MB, 413x192) Image search: [Google]
1450113436032.gif
1 MB, 413x192
GET BACK IN THERE FAGGOT!
>>
>>35499472
You;ve lost all your gains forever, no point in working out anymore. Take some ballet classes to might help to fix you aweful posture and form
>>
Do physio and swimming as often as you can. Start from the beginning, just the bar and work your way up, foam roll, stretch, use bands etc.
Prehab, prehab, prehab.
Have you seen a physio?
>>
i took 9 months off from lowerbody workouts but i still did upperbody and cable work.

When i could squat again it was like 30% of my max and i built up to 90% in a few weeks. But that last 10% was a brutal grind. It was mostly mental though.
>>
File: 1367539948969.gif (3 MB, 522x291) Image search: [Google]
1367539948969.gif
3 MB, 522x291
>>35499472
I had to take an extended break from physical activity a while ago because I snapped my shit up with squats (check your form brahs) and it wasn't the end of the world. Take your time getting back getting back into the swing of things. Muscle memory is totally a thing and sometimes giving your muscles an extended break allows you to gain some mass.

I went up from 200 to 210 while maintaining 11-12% bodyfat after about 1 year and a half with a couple 1-2 week breaks throughout. Remember that fitness is a journey anon and be sure to value your health above your lifts.
>>
> Crusaders
> plate armour

Wew.
>>
Muscle memory is real, its not the actual topic of this article but its covered at the start:

http://www.strengtheory.com/grow-like-a-new-lifter-again/
>>
File: 1359503465621.gif (314 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1359503465621.gif
314 KB, 512x384
>>35502976
Top tier blog anon. Good taste.
>>
File: chalk.jpg (70 KB, 1228x1177) Image search: [Google]
chalk.jpg
70 KB, 1228x1177
>>35499472
>Experiences returning?

Compressed L5-S1 disk, impacted nerve and injured muscles took me out of resuming what was a nice run of linear progression after a short break where I was squatting 3x5x410 (++10), benching 190 (++5), deadlifting 385 (++10) and pressing 145 (++5) lbs with workouts every three or four days because I'm old.

A couple of months later the pain and numbness was mostly gone so I reset squat 45%, deadlift 30%, bench and press 15% of the weight on the bar and set the increment on squat and deadlift to 20 lbs because I wanted to get back to lifting heavy quickly.

The first failure was the first press followed the next workout by squat and bench, though I did manage the deadlift.

So I started again with 20% reset on the presses and 10 lb increment on squat and deadlift.

A few minutes ago I did my eighth consecutive successful workout (ignoring on missed rep on the press last time), squatting 3x5x315 and pressing 145 lbs. Last workout I benched 175 and deadlifted 315 lbs. These all felt heavy, but not will-I-make-that-final-rep type heavy, rather I-would-struggle-to-lift-another-10 heavy.

The other significant variable is frequency. I've been allowing at least two days for recovery.

It pains me to look at my sheet of numbers for 14 workouts and know that by the end I still won't be back to my previous maximums, but with continued good form I'm confident I'll get there and further without any more vacations in Snap City.

That's my experience.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.