[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is /fit/ wrong about calories in/calories out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6
File: Bel-Tifi.jpg (199 KB, 760x593) Image search: [Google]
Bel-Tifi.jpg
199 KB, 760x593
I know the memes where /fit/ insists that by looking at what you eat and how many calories you expend, you can control your weight. I don't think it is quite so simple, at least for thin people. It's obviously true fatties can always lose weight by eating more, but a lot of thin people can eat like crazy and not gain weight. The digestive tract is one continuous tube from start to end, so I think it's possible that not all the energy is absorbed from the food, and some passes through undigested. As an example when I eat corn, often I find solid corn-kernels in my poop, which I did not get the energy/calories from. Also I doubt Kobyashi and the competitive eaters really get and use all the calories they eat. I wonder if there is anything people could do to absorb more or less of the energy in the foods they eat. Respond or bump please, I think this is an interesting topic.

>Pic unrelated
>>
File: 9877-natasha-ellie.jpg (218 KB, 531x1023) Image search: [Google]
9877-natasha-ellie.jpg
218 KB, 531x1023
>Hi-test bump
>>
try reddit/fitness/
>>
>but a lot of thin people can eat like crazy and not gain weight

There's a picture out there that shows what thin people think they eat and what they actually eat.
>>
>>35473519
What's reddit about this?

I've never even been there.

I'm contesting the /fit/ memes anyway.
>>
>>35473511
That isn't hi-test. Tits and hips aren't big enough.
>abs on a chick
Fucking gross.
>>
>>35473479
>As an example when I eat corn, often I find solid corn-kernels in my poop, which I did not get the energy/calories from.

> which I did not get the energy/calories from.

> which I did not get the energy/calories from.

Then you must try harder. You know what you must do.
>>
>>35473576
I'm really thin and I eat like crazy.

I eat at least double what other people eat and I can't seem to gain weight. Just last night I had almost a whole pizza plus pretzels and soda.

I'm still like 140lbs at 5'11".
>>
>>35473602
What do you mean? You mean process it more, or chew better? What do you think I should do?
>>
>>35473479
The corn you find in your shit is the undigested cellulose, not the actual corn.
>>
>>35473726
So there's nothing on the inside, and it's just the outer coating? Isn't there still nutritional value in the feces, I mean I know a lot of animals scavenge and eat feces of other animals.

Do you think it is excess nutrients which are absorbed and then excreted afterwards for some reason? If so, then what do you think makes the body decide to excrete it rather than make fat tissue?
>>
File: 1446510088519.jpg (29 KB, 502x460) Image search: [Google]
1446510088519.jpg
29 KB, 502x460
>>35473726
And I think if I train really hard while eating like crazy I can probably gain some weight, but whenever I stop, I lose it again, and it slowly all melts away.

Do I just need to constantly work out hard, just to keep my weight up and have a decent size? Or maybe just once I get older and my metabolism gets slower it will happen naturally?

I did a cycle of test-c and it didn't really make much of a difference. I got a bit bigger, but then afterwards it all just shrunk back down to normal.
>>
>>35473479
Would
Nope
Fat, so no
No way
No
If I'd had a few drinks
No
Yes

Damn, that's a poor line up.
>>
File: 1447024304409.jpg (97 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1447024304409.jpg
97 KB, 435x435
>>35473479
>>35473589
>>35473604
>>35473872

You're not contesting /fit/ memes. You're contesting our understanding of the human body, as built on scientific research, and experienced personally by pretty much anyone on this board. On the basis of finding a few undigested corn kernels in your shit.

Come on man. Just start counting your fucking calories and monitoring weight instead of looking for excuses.
>>
File: 0kKc3Se.jpg (935 KB, 2576x2184) Image search: [Google]
0kKc3Se.jpg
935 KB, 2576x2184
>>35473479
> I don't think it is quite so simple

Do you even thermodynamics.
No matter what in satan almighty's name you do, you will never. NEVER. change the laws of nature.

So either cut your calories and lose weight like every other goddamn fattie who has made it, ot go back to trying to find a easy way and stay a fat fuck.
>>
Not reading this thread. But look up NEAT (non-excercise activity thermogenesis).

All will be made clear.

And yes:

/thread
>>
>>35474015
>>35474029

Trying to gain weight, not lose it.
I agree that fat people can ALWAYS lose weight by cutting their food intake.

But even if I eat 7 slices of pizza for dinner, and stuff myself at every meal, I can't seem to gain any weight.
>>
>>35474015
>>35474029

>i am so stupid that I trust fit on everything and don't know that your body pees out excess sugar

i bet you also think that all of the matter in poop was just things that your body has no use for, huh?
>>
>>35473604
Lol, a whoooole pizza? Wow, big boy
>>
File: 606.jpg (27 KB, 311x325) Image search: [Google]
606.jpg
27 KB, 311x325
>>35474064
Count your calories, you clearly aren't eating enough faggot
>>
>>35474064

Then calculate your daily need, and preceed to count calories to ensure you get more then you burn.

PROFIT!

>>35474069
I don't trust anything I read on /fit/ unless it has sources to back it up.
I don't give a shit if you eat your own poop to get everything.
>>
>>35474064

Listen, snowflake. Every fucking ex-skeleton on this board said this shit at some point, including me, so don't be surprised when we're calling bullshit. You think you're eating a lot, but unless you count your calories "stuffing myself every meal" doesn't mean jack shit.

>>35474069

1. Even if you don't absorb 100% nutrients you eat, that doesn't mean eating more doesn't you more of them.
2. Citation or GTFO.
>>
>>35474199
>that doesn't mean eating more doesn't provide you more of them.

accidentally a word
>>
>Is /fit/ wrong about calories in/calories out?

Didn't read your post or any of the replies. No. They aren't. Nor is anyone else. You can't override the laws of thermodynamics, sorry fag.
>>
setup a myfitnesspal account and log everything friendo
>>
>>35473479
I know this girl that's skinny as fuck and easily eats a lot and still loses weight.
She has a bmi of like 17.
Ended up being a genetic condition where she can't absorb some nutriets, even on the drip she kept losing weight.
Anyways, I still believe in calories in calories out in general, but there are exceptions.
>>
>>35473625
CYCLE IT THROUGH AGAIN

DO YOUR CORN FOR REPS
>>
>>35473604
no you dont eat like crazy you fucking idiot. count your calories for a day and see how low it is.
>>
>>35473479
You are correct that there are cases where the digestive system doesn't work well and a person stays thin regardless of the clear surplus calorie intake.

HOWEVER the bitching about CICO not being 100% correct usualy comes from the complete opposite spectrum of body types where it usually and obviously works perfectly fine....
>>
>>35473479
undigested food doesn't count as calories in.
>>
Yes, some people have a dysfunctional digestive tract. But those are very serious illnesses. It's not like the body just absorbs every second carb or something. They literally can't absorb some things and need intensive medical care. 99% cases of "I am so skinny, but I eat so much" are simply based on a misconception of how much food a grown up actually needs to eat. The same, but the other way around, goes for obese people. I've heard too many of the same stories vaporize when people change their habits and actually objectively look at what they are eating.
>>
>>35473479
I've been dieting for nearly 2.5 years. Nearly 100 pounds lost. (I won't pretend that I'm good at it)

After a while you can start to count not only your own calories, but the calories of others as well. And having done so, either people are REALLY active when I'm not around, or CI/CO isn't the whole story.

CI/CO is a guaranteed way to lose weight, as the people on here will proudly proclaim, you can't get past the laws of thermodynamics. That is 100% true. What needs to be considered though, is that there are other factors. Some bodies are more efficient than others.

Also, and this is a much smaller point, but the relationship fat people have with food is beyond what most people would believe. Eating is almost like ambiance. Fat people (myself included) will eat in the same way people will light a scented candle. It has nothing to do with physical need, it's just something to add to whatever they're experiencing.
>>
>>35475865
>100 lbs
Jesus christ how fat are you?
>>
>>35475865
Start weight 355, down to 263. Looking to lose 70 more.
>>
>>35475918
was for
>>35475910
>>
>>35473593
Faggot
>>
>>35473479
>this thread again
>>
>>35473625

They're telling you too eat shit, dummy. Which you should do because you're so stupid.
>>
>>35473479
The answer to your question is:
chocolate.

>know this one fat chick that actually works out and eats healthy, but somehow she stays fat?
chocolate

>you're a skeleton, eating as much as you can, but you're still not gaining weight?
chocolate
>>
>theaws of thermodynamics are /fit/ meme

LE SIGH
>>
>>35475966
>Not drinking your calories with milk
>Not peanut butter.
>Not even fucking cheeseburgers
Instead you tell people to eat literal sugar.
>>
>>35476006
It's not that the laws of thermodynamics aren't valid, it's that everyone is too busy jacking off on the idea of thermodynamics to consider other information.
>>
>>35476043
The principle of calories in / calories out isn't about the precise amount you get from food or burn in a day.
You can't know that.
But if you aren't gaining weight, you should eat more until you do, and if you aren't losing weight you should eat less until you do.
>>
>>35476086
>You can't know that.
>and if you aren't losing weight you should eat less until you do.

Eat less of what I can't know, got it.

But in all seriousness, I don't get why this is so hard for people. If someone has a body that is bad at storing fat, they're going to be at an advantage to people who store fat quickly.

And consider that a mere 100 calorie a day sway in metabolism means a person on the low end will gain 10 extra pounds over the course of a year.

It's not about people saying thermodynamics is wrong, it's about making weight loss easier for EVERYONE.
>>
>>35473479
No, calories in/out is literally infallible.

Seriously

Yes some people's digestive tracts are more efficient than others.

But that doesn't change a thing. Let me break it down for you.

>fatty eating their normal diet
>weight stable
>reduce calories ergo less calories available to their body
>weight loss

>skelly eating their normal diet
>weight stable
>increase calories ergo more calories available to their body
>weight gain

If you lift weights and eat at a caloric surplus you will grow muscle

If you eat at a caloric surplus you will gain weight

>inb4 but I eat so much and never gain weight!
Simple fix, thanks to calories in/out we know that all you need to do is eat more.

Serious, just increase your daily calories by 500 and then reassess. If you are gaining weight then problem solved. If you are still not gaining weight then rinse and repeat.
>>
>>35473479
I bet all these hos know how to ride a dick
>>
1: They're eating less calories than what they're claiming.

2: If not, they have an undiagnosed condition like hyperthyroidism. This speeds up their body and as such, their body uses more energy to maintain itself.

3: If not, they're /fit/ as fuck. Seriously, they're so fit that their muscles burn through all those calories like it's nothing.

>As an example when I eat corn, often I find solid corn-kernels in my poop, which I did not get the energy/calories from
What's digested is the starch on the inside. Our body does not contain the bacteria to break it down.
>>
>>35473604

> Just last night I had almost a whole pizza plus pretzels and soda.

OH REALLY??

ALMOST A WHOLE PIZZA???

WOW MAN!!!!

OMG THAT'S A LOT!!!!

(I'm being sarcastic, you fucking moron.)
>>
It's about perspective. Thin friends saying they "eat like crazy" once they actually counted their calories realized it was not much.
After that one for example started eating, say, two full plates of pasta in a sitting, which is the norm for me, and complained that he was fucking exploding.
>>
Skillington on his way out of concentration camp mode here. I used to think I ate loads and couldn't gain weight, I actually just ate 2 fairly big meals a day which were quite low calorie looking back

Don't be retarded
>>
>>35474064

>7 slices of pizza for dinner

HOW MANY CALORIES IS THAT???

YOU FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!!!

IT COULD BE 200 SLICES OR 3, IT'S THE CALORIES THAT COUNT, NOT THE AMOUNT YOU EAT.

YOU EAT LIKE SHIT! YOU EAT LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!
>>
>>35473511
aweno try again m80
>>
Calories in vs calories out is a very effective way to lose weight.

But not all calories are created equal as seen in this article: http://www.cell.com/cell-metabolism/abstract/S1550-4131(15)00350-2

To sum up that link. Cutting fat led to increased body fat loss over a 2 week period, but a math model predicted there wouldn't be much difference over the long term in fat loss.
>>
>>35475865
Metabolic efficiency varies by +/-16% max for 96% of the population.

Assuming an average expenditure of 2000kcal a day 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily.

Not a huge difference, the differences between a fast and slow metabolism is vastly overstated by fatties and dyels.

Donahoo WT, Levine JA, Melanson EL Variability in energy expenditure and its components . Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. (2004)
>>
>>35473992
I agree, far left is the only really cute one.

The rest are kind of weird looking, like they're not properly black.
>>
>>35474064
wow, 7 whole slices?!? you must be a big boy!!!
>>
how are so many people getting baited by this
>>
If you're eating clean then calories in / calories out if a good indication of how much fat you will gain lose.

If you're eating a bunch of sugar, and you probably are, then it's a very different story.
>>
>>35473479
There is no way to dispute the second law of thermodynamics. Calories in/out is infallible. However, there are complications. Nothing that disputes the rule, but that does make putting it into practice a bit more complex.

For instance, it is not necessarily how many calories you eat, but how many you absorb versus how much you expend. If one had terrible diarrhea or took a bunch of diuretics there is the possibility for the nutrients in the food to remain in one's waste and be excreted before being used in the body.

The main thing people talk about when they don't believe in calories in/out, though is skinny people who never gain weight no matter how much they eat. These people just have a faster metabolism then most people. In other words their bodies are wired to spend more calories then most people doing the same activities. So how does one solve this problem if they have it. Well its not easy, but basically just eat as much as possible. These are the people that those mass-gainer supplements are for. There's just no other way to get enough calories in with puking up what they just eat.
>>
So sick of hearing this from skinny fags. A skinny fuck I work with said the same shit. He would bring meals for lunch that were less than snacks for me (ANON! I ate two cans of tuna with pasta! Boy am I full!)

I had enough. Started forcing him to eat the *exact* same meals as me. The guy ate a quarter of it before finally admitting not only does he eat LESS but hes not CONSISTENT with his meals (I skipped lunch anon, had a huge big boy breakfast!)

Count your calories. Just do it. When you're taking in 3000 calories a day and not gaining a pound, call the hospital because you have parasites.
>>
>>35473604
you're an idiot
>>
>>35479948
Exactly.

I had a co worker who claime dthe same thing, but he would only eat about half of any meal he got.
>>
>>35473604
Its not how much you can eat by a session. A fucking pizza will not bump your weigh instantly. Eat shit tons and eat 6 times a day, never get hungry and after a month your weigh has increased.
>>
>>35473604
>Just last night I had almost a whole pizza plus pretzels and soda.

So you downed a thousand calories for dinner and probably only 500-800 during the day. Good job. I bet you were pretty busy all day too huh? Moving around a lot and being active in some capacity?
>>
Bro you aren't eating enough. You have to stuff your face all day everyday for months. If you were never fat then you don't know what over eating is. If you eat +500 calories 5 days a week but then two days you fall 1000 calories short or more you have a 500 calorie increase spread over a week. So basically you aren't trying everyday.

Im 5'10 172 lbs barely. With my routine and weights my tdee is like 3000 which means i need to eat 3500 calories everyday to gain size. Shit is hard and ive gained like 4-5 lbs after 3 months. Im so sick of over eating. But hey no matter what i eat I never gain fat.
>>
>>35473479
not wrong but also not entirely accurate.
calories are measured using a bomb calorimeter or something similar, but our bodies don't literally burn the food for energy; our bodies chemically metabolize food which may extract more or less energy from food, and genetics also plays a part.
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.