[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Endurance Training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11
File: philippines.jpg (48 KB, 635x451) Image search: [Google]
philippines.jpg
48 KB, 635x451
Is it really that bad? People say it's bad for your heart, joints, body chemistry, testosterone, etc etc

But if so, why do Marines and Spec Op guys focus on cardio over strength? I know they also strength train mostly with body weight, but cardio is their focus.

Boxers and mma fighters also focus on cardio.

And I see a lot of older people who focused on cardio their younger lives still look pretty healthy into their later years.

So is cardio really as bad as people say it is?
>>
>>35472237
Of course that's what you're told. The jews don't want you to become alpha.
>>
>>35472237
>People say it's bad for your heart, joints, body chemistry, testosterone, etc etc
link?
>>
>>35472237
No, exercising is not bad for you. If you had any common sense, you would know that.
>>
>>35472237
>Is it really that bad? People say it's bad for your heart, joints, body chemistry, testosterone, etc etc
Nobody says that. If at all, people say cardio is great for you. Sure, if you are fat, it's can be bad for your joints, but for a healthy human, it's a great thing. Endurance is literally the one thing that the human body is made for.
>>
>le cardio is bad for you meme :D

im so sick of this shit. the only people who spread this are obese powerlifters
>>
>>35472237
heart
>the one way to train your heart is bad for it
joints
>Only if you run on concrete with bad form. Run trails with good form and you will be fine. Swim or bike, and you will be better.
body chemistry
>body chemistry means nothing. Your body is chemistry.
testosterone
>No.

Humans are made to run.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting
People dont say endurance training is bad. That is bullshit.

Dont group marines and SOF. Thats like comparing sheep to lions because they have 4 legs.

Endurance is valued because it is needed. Strength is also valued highly. Resilience, mental toughness, and cleverness most of all.

This is a bait thread.
>>
cardio is great. any normal human with reasonable fitness goals should do cardio and plenty of it
>>
>>35472237
Where did you hear all this bullshit?
>>
File: bobby2.gif (755 KB, 556x561) Image search: [Google]
bobby2.gif
755 KB, 556x561
>>35472237
>why do Marines and Spec Op guys focus on cardio over strength

Maybe because cardio is more important for the shit Marines and Spec Op guys do, you thick mother fucker.
>>
>>35472237

most missions have to do with getting to point a to b in shortest time possible not lifting trucks....rucking is a huge thing in tier one units
>>
>>35472237
>But if so, why do Marines and Spec Op guys focus on cardio over strength? I know they also strength train mostly with body weight, but cardio is their focus.
>Boxers and mma fighters also focus on cardio.

OP, one thing you've got to realize is that training for health and training for performance are quite different.

squatting 220kg ass to grass dozens of times a week is not healthy, running 100km a week is not healthy, pushing your body to it's limits and beyond is not healthy. Neither is major weight fluctuations and funky dietary manipulation.

the reason that boxers, spec ops personnel and weightlifters might do those things is for performance, health is not the primary concern, it probably isn't even the secondary or tertiary concern for them
>>
OP here, I'm not saying cardio is bad idiots, I'm asking why many people on here have that idea. Which is true, there's a lot of obese lifters on here.
>>
>>35472556
link examples
>>
>>35472477
So to be a bad ass you don't need weights.
>>
>>35472477
And yet they look better than you.
>>
>>35472576
Better than a lean ottermode machine? I think not.
>>
>>35472556
because those people have unhealthy goals. You already knew the answer to this question
>>
>>35472539
>those arbitrary limits
Humans are literally made for running, 100km a week is perfectly reasonable.
>>
>>35472321
Army guy here, not marine or spec op, but if you actually know anything about the military, Marines are actually better at direct combat than Spec Op guys, they have completely different jobs and train for them differently.
>>
>>35472574
There's a ton of shit you can do with bodyweight especially if you wear kit but SOF guys do weight training as well, typically lifting 3x a week on top of running 20 miles a week or so.

>>35472576
>And yet they look better than you.
I was a ranger in 2/75 so
>>
File: rippetoe.jpg (100 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
rippetoe.jpg
100 KB, 600x480
>>35472512
no, and this is a major reason why women suck at military stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmEgolXQb-o
>>
>>35472636
lmao the bull shit level high here
>>
it's not inherently bad, but if youre a novice lifter youre better off focusing on the lifting routine for the 4-6 months required.

after that you can and you should run. HIIT especially with prowlers or similar yields the same results health-wise as LISS in less time used and isn't counterproductive to lifting

https://pjmedia.com/lifestyle/2014/4/22/why-you-should-not-be-running/
>>
>>35472636
Only a marine would say stupid shit like that.
Go buy a uniform and arm wrestle. I would like to see a marine with the same number of kill/captures as a SEAL or ranger.
Marines specialize in policing an area, and then upon making contact, spraying in a direction for hours until the tallies get bored and leave. 2000 rounds per kill.
I respect them, but when marines say retarded shit like that, they lose some of my respect.
If marines were better in direct combat than spec ops, marines would make all those night raids rangers make. But they dont. They would do all of those high risk recon missions that may just erupt into firefights delta does, but they dont. They would take out high profile targets like DEVGRU does, but they dont.
>>
>>35472636
>Marines are actually better at being frontal assault cannon fodder than Spec Op guys

Fixed that for you, buddy.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>35472237
>But if so, why do Marines and Spec Op guys focus on cardio over strength? I know they also strength train mostly with body weight, but cardio is their focus.
We don't OP. I run 30 miles a week and that's considered "to much" by our strength coaches. Pic related is what a typical week looks like for working out. I'm not saying we don't train cardio OP, but it's nowhere near the main focus. Its like maybe the 3rd priority.

>Is cardio really bad for you
Yeah if you don't know what you're doing or you're really pushing the upper limits. But 99% of people won't get anywhere near those limits.

Also
>putting marines and special operations in the same category
Stop that.
>>
File: mfw.jpg (62 KB, 268x272) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
62 KB, 268x272
>>35472913
>those strength workouts
>>
>>35472237
Dutch Armyfag here:

Cardio is good for you, also helps with your strengthtraining as well (better bloodflow, shit like that). Only thing is, you need to train like a fucking animal to have good cardiovascular endurance and built a strong frame as well. I train roughly 2-3 hours daily (running, lifting, swimming, boxing, cycling, crossfit, pretty much anything I can do), I consume around 3500Kcal daily and sleep 10 hours everyday, That's the only way for me to feel good.
>>
>>35472913
how does one train to resist torture?
>>
File: 1448909180221.jpg (57 KB, 500x495) Image search: [Google]
1448909180221.jpg
57 KB, 500x495
>>35472960
what the actual fuck
>>
>>35472477
You don't need weight training to be a great shooter. Marines need cardio and endurance so that's what they train with.
>>
>>35472976
By getting married

ba dum tss
>>
>>35472237
Lets start with this, I'm a boxer, well former boxer.

So there is a lot of controversy on whether or not all the distance running boxers do is actually correct, or if they should focus on sprints more. The idea being that boxing is very anaerobic and so you should train along that.

But this is really incorrect. Sprinting certainly has a lot of value in boxing, but the reason you train for endurance is because when you are tired, you can't hit, run, block, or hope to get up from a down. You need stamina to be able to survive, and more importantly recover on the breaks.
You can't just hope that you are always the faster, stronger, or better fighter, and you can control the whole fight. Focusing on sprinting is disrespecting the idea that your opponent can't outpace you.

Personally, I do both. Even though its been proven that running actually weakens your top speed during a sprint (changes body chemistry)
>>
>>35472237
>is cardio bad for you
You're a fucking retard even for asking.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2600x1950) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2600x1950
>>35472960
>>35473019
It looks weird as fuck looking just at one or two workouts, but overall it really comes together. Like I said, we have actual strength coaches who put this stuff together.

Keep in mind this is "starting strength how do I get good at squats" lifting. It's focused on keeping guys healthy overall and letting guys who are already in shape keep getting stronger. I was lifting 5/3/1 a while before this program, but I'm a lot healthier and stronger now.

>>35472976
Go to SERE school. But I'm dodging that bullet as long as possible.
>>
>>35472861
Spec Op guys don't train to coordinate with artillery, and many others in the battlefield, they can, but they act more like a secretive paramilitary force than actual combatants. it's like comparing a ninja to a samurai.

infantry, not JUST MARINES, but most infantry is better coordinated in full head on firefights than Spec Op guys.

Put a 100 marines, with machine gunners, grenaiders, artillery, etc

Vs 100 spec Op guys going head to head in a open battle field with limited cover, and the Marines most likely win.

Now do the same thing but give each side time to plan the attack and the spec op guys wreck shit.

This is simple, think about all the times Spec Op guys get their shit pushed in by regular habibis in a firefight
>>
>>35473151
>Go to SERE school. But I'm dodging that bullet as long as possible.
so you aren't really SF are you?
>>
>>35472856
Well put desu, well put
>>
>>35472237
>People say it's bad for your heart, joints, body chemistry, testosterone, etc etc
Really? What 'people' are you referring to? The fat, weak, non-exercising, non-lifting losers of /fit/? LOL, you actually believe that crap?

Bullshit. I don't care how much you lift, if you can't go run at least 5 miles continuously at a decent, steady pace, then YOU ARE NOT ACTUALLY FIT.
>>
>>35473044
if you got married before 25, you're an idiot and it's your own fault. if you got married for anything other than security for children, you're probably an idiot
>>
>>35472913
Post the whole thing please. Please? Thanks.

please
>>
>>35473166
samurai were barbarians who had the only swords in a country without swords, and raped and drank, while the peasants toiled. The katana and nagata are curved because a curve bites flesh, not armor. Ninjas were spies and assasins, they worked for money, drink and women.

Your modern arguments are wrong too. But you're too dumb and im too bored, so ill let somebody else argue with you
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>35473189
I never said I was SF. I said I was in a SOF unit.

>>35473460
Here's the rest of that week. If you want more, I only have one or two others saved on my phone.
>>
>>35472269
this
>>
>>35472556
OP are you aware that cardio kills you is just shitposting yes?
>>
>>35473584
>Here's the rest of that week. If you want more, I only have one or two others saved on my phone.
Thanks a bunch. Reading the approach you guys take to it in detail fascinates me. The other one or two would be appreciated.
>>
>>35472237
It's bad for your heart at a certain point of excess that you will never reach. We're talking marathon runner, 20+ miles a day. At that point yes it can cause some serious heart problems. Running a mile or two a day is good for the heart.
It is bad for your joints if you have a bad stride. Don't.
Body chemistry and test is bro science until otherwise proven.
tl;dr cardio is good, don't be a fucking dummy
>>
>>35473709
Its been proven. I cant cite right now, but olympic sprinters are forbidden from doing any distance running. Partly because it eats away at lean muscle tissue, but more importantly is that it's shown to reduce their top speeds.
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 4032x3024
>>35473636
Sure. >>35473709
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2600x1950) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2600x1950
>>35473790
And that's all I've got saved.
>>
>>35473762
Yes, but, you don't use that as an excuse to not do any cardio at all.

Also if you're training for a half-marathon or a full marathon, then you do the required training. Of course at that point you're not the typical 'training for aesthetics' guy from /fit/, you're an actual athlete, so like all actual athletes you train for the requirements of the competition you're entering.
>>
>>35472237
Worked for every fucker before, no?

Pull your head out of your arse OP.

>>35472269
This.
>>
>friend in corps of cadets
>always says that he can outrun me, outlast me because he does shitloads of cardio and endurance work
>I mainly powerlift, never train cardio
>play ultimate frisbee with him guarding me
>burn the fuck out of him on every cut, beat him downfield every time
>he has to sub out first, goes to the sideline and violently throws up

This is the life cardiofags choose
>>
>>35472276
>Link
4chan.org/fit/
>>
>>35473808
Oh no, this is boxer guy, I totally support cardio
>>
>>35473790
>>35473801
And thanks once more. Cheers.
>>
>>35473545
Fine, I'll argue with him.

>>35473166
You have no idea what you're talking about.

>Spec Op guys don't train to coordinate with artillery, and many others in the battlefield
This is literally the role of many SOF units. Despite being a small minority of the military overall, USSOCOM uses something like 75% of ALL air assets. Pretty much no ranger raid is done without Apache/Kiowa support. Many regular units have SOF personnel attached for the EXPRESS PURPOSE of coordinating air strikes and artillery.

>100 marines, with machine gunners, grenaiders, artillery, etc
What, so SOF units don't have machine gun teams and grenadiers?

>artillery
so you're saying a unit with artillery support can beat a unit without artillery support in a firefight? No shit, dumbass.

>Spec Op guys get their shit pushed in by regular habibis in a firefight
yeah, because SOF units get into situations where they are literally outnumbered by orders of magnitude, see Red Wings, Mogadishu, Takur Ghar

> like comparing a ninja to a samurai.
fucking retard weeb analogy

stop getting your information from movies and call of duty
>>
>>35473887
>>35472856
>>35473166
Not knowing that the marine corps also have a spec ops unit comparable to seals, called marsoc (not in what they do, cause no one know for sure, but in the way the training is hard).
Taking no respect from navy seals cause theyre all in the same boat, but there are more units out there in other branches that are as capable, or even more, than seals.
Research kids
>>
>>35472237
Don't know much about the American army but here it's mainly tradition. I rarely had to run/crawl distances longer than 200m during training. Lighter bodyweight helps a lot tho.
>>
>>35472321
Bad form isn't what's fucking knees up, cheap runners do that. Think nikes are expensive? Try rebuilt knees anons.
>>
>>35476491
Made in China by kids. No thanks.
>>
>>35472237

DO SOME FUCKING CARDIO YOU MORON
>>
>>35477055
Nah I think it's Philippines, those 8 year old kits have mad skills tho. Pegasus 31s are so comfy
>>
Holy fuck this thread is retarded. Army 11b here. Selection for special operations units is endurance based. You will cover hundreds of miles with a 50+ lb ruck on your back. By the time you're done with selection you will be skelly ottermode as fuck.

Once you make it through selection and through the pipeline you will find many guys lift heavy as fuck weights. I'm talking 500lb deadlifts, fucking 400lb bench, etc... they are fucking jacked.

However, SOF guys come in all different shapes and sizes. Go to professionalsoldiers.com and look at some of the workout plans there.

In terms of getting in shape for selection, yes you want to run/ruck/pushup/situp/pullup and all of those with weights incorporated as well. Basically be shredded as fuck so that you can lift heavy as shit and ruck for miles and miles.

Yes, /fit/ cardio is most certainly required.
>>
>>35472237
Cardio also improves your mental health.
Stop believing what others said, try doing it, and then form your own opinion.
>>
File: gains goblins.jpg (50 KB, 468x286) Image search: [Google]
gains goblins.jpg
50 KB, 468x286
>>35472237
>Anon, that training you are doing is really bad on your joints and your heart. Why don't you just enjoy life like us?
>>
>humans were created
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.