[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone have any GOOD workouts that don't involve weight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: imnotgay.jpg (156 KB, 435x580) Image search: [Google]
imnotgay.jpg
156 KB, 435x580
Does anyone have any GOOD workouts that don't involve weight training, but aren't a poor man's bodyweight exercise substitute?

Time is getting harder to come by these days and my motivation for lifting is really going down the toilet. I've noticed that, with half-assed enthusiasm squats and deadlifts, I'm starting to hurt myself more than help myself. So, I'm hoping to find a workout that involves any mixture of plyometrics, cardio and other means of losing weight and not looking like a stick figure outside of lifting weights up.

The only things I've found on my own consist of barbell complexes and conditioning workouts that seem to be specifically as a supplement to weightlifting, not really a standalone exercise. Barbell complexes sound about perfect, but I'm hesitant to do them as I'm concerned I'll just be cheating myself out of good exercise by just doing that. I'm hoping some of you may have experience or knowledge with programs that you could share. I'm not really looking to be Big Guy anymore.

Pic related, goal body
>>
/fit/ help pls
>>
>>35463746
learn how to do the compound movements correctly instead of looking for the easy way out. squats, deadlifts and bench press will do more for you than anything else could in the same time frame.
>>
>>35464785
I didn't ask for a lecture dickbutt
>>
>>35463746
train to sprint. Just sprint

It will change everything about your physique. You will be literally blown away by the results.
>>
>>35463746
r/bodyweight fitness could probably help you better. Nothing against /fit/ but a lot of people here seem to be of the opinion that you can't make solid gains on a bodyweight routine, which you certainly can. Resistance is resistance and you can certainly look up different ways to move and use your body. Looking up Ido Portal is a good start as well.
>>
Bodyweight isn't necessarily bad, especially if it's bodyweight + weighted vest. Sprints are probably your best bet for legs since it's hard to do bodyweight leg work.
>>
>>35464953
sprints hit your core, shoulders, traps and teres major. Its a great workout
>>
You want time efficient lifting?

Do compound lifts, supersets and rest pause sets (look up myoreps). Do fullbody workouts 2x a week based on that. Sorry, I'm not reading all your shit. But that's very time efficient.
>>
OP here, I'll definitely start working on getting into sprints. And I'll check out >>35464938 that link.

As far as >>35464967 , I'm not necessarily against compound lifts. That's why I'm so interested in barbell complexes. I guess what I'm more looking for is a workout focusing harder on getting in shape and increasing athleticism moreso than striving every week for progressive overload and increasing the weight with the intention of becoming 2big4u with 3 sets of 5 reps.
>>
>>35464938
This is the board that says SS is a valid routine
>>
>>35463746
Where the fuck are his lats
>>
>>35464938
DO NOT GO TO THAT FUCKING SITE

IT IS SHIT.

DUdell if you want a real bodyweight workout then treat it likeasy you would lifting. You need progression. It's easy but hard as well. Also learn how to do handstands and muscle ups and your set.

Forget about legs though cuz bodyweight gives you no legs
>>
>>35463746
bump for interest
>>
>>35463746
>>
>>35466975
Can you validate some of your criticism? Not that I disagree entirely, but I'd appreciate more than just 'it sucks'.
>>
File: greyskull lp.jpg (39 KB, 547x465) Image search: [Google]
greyskull lp.jpg
39 KB, 547x465
>>35463746
>So, I'm hoping to find a workout that involves any mixture of plyometrics, cardio and other means of losing weight and not looking like a stick figure outside of lifting weights up.

do box jumps, ATG squat hops (you can use your arms to assist your legs if you are weakfag), jumping lunges

and whatever cardio you prefer.

then also.

in addition to that.

do pic fucking related (with power cleans!)

>>35466730
>literally just reg park's routine without reverse hyper
name a valid criticism of SS (the routine, not the book, the nutritional info in the book is garbage, but the lifting info is golden).

i fucking dare you, you goddam DYEL
>>
>>35464938
>opinion
funny way to spell fact.

>Resistance is resistance and you can certainly look up different ways to move and use your body. Looking up Ido Portal is a good start as well.

oooh you cringey faggot.

ido portal agrees with dorian yates, and also is a massive fedorable faggot.
fuck that jew, he can fuck off back to israel.

the problem with bodyweight training, however, isn't resistance.

that is easy to come by, just try and do a planche.

the problem is progression.

bodyweight progression a shit

gains = progress

no progression = no gains.

shitty progression = shitty gains.

the BEST way to progress is to add 5lb to your lift every time you workout. (until you can no longer progress linearly, but by that time you would know enough to do progressive overload properly)
>>
>>35466975
>Forget about legs though cuz bodyweight gives you no legs

>2016
>not becoming a hamplanet for dem calisthenics calves
>>
>>35469158
Curious: In what way is progressions shit? They're pretty understandable in terms of major skill progressions: they just follow an odd sort of pattern where some are dependent on reps and others are dependent on hold times.
>>
>>35464880
you get what you need, not what you ask for.
>>35464903
>want to build massive pecs?
>try running
0/10
nice b8 attempt, but not really.
>>35464938
DYEL?
no?
ok then...

>>35464966
upgraded to 9/10 just for the keks i had
>check my massive shoulders, brah
>all from sprinting.
>>35464967
this anon speaks wisdom
>>35465035
then don't focus on progression.

just lift for muscular preservation.

that is fine...

but still do the routine, even if with a lower weight and higher rep (really, no reason not to do strength training, though. just don't get upset if you stall, because you are cutting)

>>35466730
"SS is a meme" is a meme

>>35466787
do me a favor?
go to a mirror.

now put your elbows behind your back.
now in front of your back.
now behind your back again.

watch your lats as you do this.

mind = blown

>>35466975
this guy sounds legit(-ish)

>>35469144
super legit.

>>35469158
kind of a faggot, but i don't disagree.

>>35469170
>tfw have sizeable calves from former obesity
>tfw train them every leg day
i want to have stupid huge calves... like the kind that make calflets cry themselves to sleep at night
>>
File: rep range table.png (92 KB, 1008x1008) Image search: [Google]
rep range table.png
92 KB, 1008x1008
>>35469191
because the gaps between say pull ups and archer pull ups are clunkier and much more difficult to transition between than say sliding a 2.5lb plate on each side.

sometimes the jumps are too big, sometimes they are too small.

also when the rep range increases, the strength response decreases
3-6 reps is optimal for muscular strength development
>>
>>35469241
Alright: I'd concede the point that going straight from ordinary pullups to archer pullups is a large jump: but if you're going about it smartly, you don't try and jump straight into archers from standard pullups. You get to a decent strength range of normal pullups, and then you start working things like archer negatives, typewriters and other 1-arm pull assistance work. There are a multitude of ways to develop each progression, rather than simply trying to aim straight for the next skill. I completely agree that progressing weights is easier, but I don't think that bodyweight progressions are straight out 'shit'.

Also, you are correct, 2-6 appears to be optimal, some studies suggest up to 8 being within that range too. Which is why for most bodyweight exercises, once you've hit 3x6-8 you change it up in dynamic movements. Straight arm strength is a bit of a different monster and thus requires a different approach, but otherwise, most bodyweight practitioners will agree that anything beyond 12 reps is inefficient for strength gains and that once you hit 3x8 it's time to move to harder progressions.
>>
>>35469144

Complete and utter new scrub here. I have a bench and barbell coming in for home gym this weekd because I just don't currently have the self-confidence to show up at a gym. DYEL skinnyfat social autist. Figure I'd work with the physical self first before I work on the social self.

Been reading the sticky and was going to start the Stripped 5x5 since it seemed like it was aimed for people like me (super scrubs).

However, the image you provided seems like it's just as geared for someone who's new to the game.

When it says alternate, does it mean:

Week 1:
>Mon: Overhead, Chinup, Squat
>Tue: Rest
>Wed: Benchpress, Barbell Row, Deadlift
>Thur: Rest
>Fri: Overhead, Chinup, Squat
>Sat/Sun: Rest

Week 2:

>Mon: Benchpress, Barbell Row, Squat
>Tue: Rest
>Wed: Overhead, Chinup, Deadlift
>Thur: Rest
>Fri: Benchpress, Barbell Row, Squat

Couple of scrub questions:

Is there any problem with me doing HIIT workouts on the rest days in relations to losing strength and such?

I definitely can't do Power Clean warm ups since I'll probably piss off my apartment neighbors downstairs, if not possibly even destroy this floor and fuck my deposit. Is there an alternative to Power Cleans?
>>
>>35469313
Best alternative to power clean is probably pendlay rows but even they only do kind of a half job. Power clean is best.

If you're worried about your floor get a couple of squares of something to pad it. If you're worried about your neighbour don't drop the weights just set them down.

See this vid: http://youtu.be/_drttm5r66A
>>
>>35469313
yes, that is what alternate means.

i would do low-intensity cardio on rest days, and leave the HIIT to lifting days

you can do power cleans without slamming the weight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_drttm5r66A

no different than setting down a deadlift, tbhfam
>>35469677
ignore the first half of the first sentence of this post, as it implies there is such thing as an alternative to power cleans.
>>
So there's really no getting around this high weight, low rep scheme to really work out?

OP here and back again, and I've been doing TM for the past couple months. I like it and it works, but this low rep heavy weight method in all these workouts I've done don't really leave my legs feeling like mom's spaghetti after a workout. There just doesn't seem like enough time put in to really even work up a sweat. And always adding weight just seems like I'm constantly moving away from that feeling after squats where my legs are jelly and more to just having a hard time lifting it while I'm under the bar.

I guess I just don't feel like on these workouts (SS to SL to 5/3/1 and now TM) that I have enough time under stress to get any kind of meaningful gains. 5/3/1 felt the best, but with work and family I don't really have the time for a four day workout.
>>
>>35469313
>I definitely can't do Power Clean warm ups since I'll probably piss off my apartment neighbors downstairs

thats a shitty environment to work out in man
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.