[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ADVICE THREAD FOR NEWER LIFTERS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Ja-Rule-karencivil.jpg (179 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
Ja-Rule-karencivil.jpg
179 KB, 540x720
This thread is for all the new lifters reading /fit/. A lot of you probably are getting brainwashed into the idea that you have to be "hardcore" to succeed at lifting and that the best way to get big is to do a high-intensity, high-frequency, high-volume routine. That kind of thing works for a time, but you're going to damage yourself. Nearly all good powerlifters above age 22-25 or so have many injuries and view surgery as something routine. If you follow a hardcore routine, you're sacrificing your lifting ability a few years down the line for faster short-term gains.

My story: When I first started lifting, I got into /fit/, powerlifting stuff, the chaos and pain blog, etc. I lifted like a madman, slept massively, ate huge amounts of food and was still dropping fat, etc. The result was me going from 0 strength and no athletic background growing up to a 285lb bench, 405lb squat, 550lb deadlift, and 200lb press inside of a year at 200lb. But inside of 18 months of starting, I was too fucked up to keep lifting. I had to quit for over a year and spend months rehabbing my shoulders, knees, wrist, and low back with bands and 5lb dumbbells. Even today, the only stuff I can do in the gym without issue is low-weight pump stuff with extremely strict form. I'm never going to press or deadlift again. If you choose to do low-rep sets, heavy singles, a "hardcore" compounds-only routine, etc. this is likely what's going to happen to you.

Best regards
>>
>>35463312
yeah right faggot

not all of us have fucked babby genetics
>>
Supermang?
>>
>>35463382
No, not him
>>
>>35463312
This is a big one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e50-oMGODA
>>
we gon clap back
>>
>>35463312
i was mostly agreeing with you until you talked shit on OHP and deadlift.

and low-rep sets.

with proper form there is nothing wrong with either of these.

it is PR chasing (not to be confused with progression, which is good) and ego liftan that fucks your shit up.

nothing wrong with 5 rep sets over the course of years of lifting.
>>
there is literally nothing wrong with press or deadlift, if preformed with proper form.

..should have clenched your glutes, anon
>>
>>35463872
>>35463882
I don't have an issue with OHP or deadlifts if you do them in a more restrained manner. You just have to recognize that they're relatively high-risk lifts.
>>
>>35463312
Shit advice desu

You don't have to choose one routine and stick with it forever. The route with the most safety is probably lowrep compounds until you hit 1/2/3/4

This way you'll still be enormously strong to the average man but without health complications.
>>
File: 1433217509358.jpg (332 KB, 798x600) Image search: [Google]
1433217509358.jpg
332 KB, 798x600
>>35463936
pretty sure he meant
>high-intensity, high-frequency, and high-volume routine
which is pretty solid advice then, if you're doing high weight then you'll want lower reps so you can keep your form
also you need rest

some advice for skeletons, if your lifts are not going up then it's most likely a problem of your diet or rest
make sure you're eating at a surplus by weighing yourself every day or time you go to the gym and track it, you can easily make a 1000 kcal shake with milk, milk powder and protein powder in a shaker
rest days are just as important as gym days, resting is where the muscle builds up bigger and stronger
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY NYR SCUM
>>
What are the negative side effects of going GOMAD?
>>
>>35464432
excess fat, possible gyno
>>
File: le funny negro.gif (997 KB, 250x186) Image search: [Google]
le funny negro.gif
997 KB, 250x186
>>35463312
Thank you Ja Rule
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.