[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meditation help
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: pretentious stones pic.jpg (204 KB, 1800x1198) Image search: [Google]
pretentious stones pic.jpg
204 KB, 1800x1198
Hey /fit/, I need your help.

So lately I've been suffering from vague health problems and it's been causing me a lot of stress. Especially since some of it concerns my eyes, and not being able to see suddenly is scary as shit.

Now I'm not usually a stressful person, but I can see this get a lot worse in the future and I need a way to keep it together mentally, and maybe ideally calm my body down as much as possible. So I want to try meditation.

I tried looking at some books but I'm a bit confused by how many types of meditation there are, and what would be good for me as a beginner. Do you have any advice, or any useful links?

tl:dr how does anon prefer to meditate?
>>
The no bullshit guide to meditation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wirV265ZYSw

He has several other good videos on mediation as well, but start here.

I would also highly recommend the app Headspace, there's something like 10 days free and that will get your started. I found it very helpful.

Also I would recommend focusing on forming a habit of meditating daily before you start trying to meditate for long periods of time right off the bat. Just start with like 1 or 2 mins a day, seriously no more than that. I know you can do more, DON'T. The HABIT is the most important thing. Start with 1 or 2 mins a day for a week, then increase it to 3, then 4, and so on. Make it so easy that you can't find an excuse not to do it. Once you have a habit formed, then you'll want to aim for 15-30 mins a day.
>>
>>35454110

Thanks a lot, anon. Will give it a watch.

Yeah, I can see that habit forming will be the hard part. Starting really slow is a good idea. Do you have a set moment in the day you like to meditate?
>>
Some more links:
A link about what is said about forming a meditation habit, he explains it much better and in more detail here.
http://zenhabits.net/meditation-for-beginners/

I would also recommend Sam harris and his books/lectures on meditation and mindfulness without religious superstition being involved. He has a great book called "Waking Up" and many good lectures on the topic. My favorite lecture of his is at this link below but it costs $5 to watch/download it. Well worth it though for the price to learn so much about mindfulness.
https://vimeo.com/ondemand/wakingup
>>
>>35454156
I usually meditate in mornings, usually 30mins-1hour after I wake up. But you should experiment and find whatever works best for you. Some people prefer to do it in the afternoon and and night, which are both perfectly acceptable.
>>
>>35454165
Actually, I have the Sam Harris lecture downloaded and could upload is somewhere to share.
>>
>>35454180

I read that meditating at night is 'bad' because you'll be sleepy. But at night is usually when my biggest worries come in because I feel tired and I start to worry, so I might try it in the evenings.

>>35454165

Thanks! I'll download it when I get to it, $5 is a very fair price for useful advice.
>>
>>35454223

That could also work, but I don't mind throwing the guy some money. But maybe other anons are interested?
>>
>>35454231
Meditating at night is fine really. I've read serval meditation books that actually recommend meditating when you're tired because the part of your brain that is producing all of your worries and thoughts is (in theory) tired as well.
>>
>>35454238
It's a pretty large file (4GB), so I guess I won't upload it unless there's some extreme interest. Its really not expensive and well worth it.
>>
>>35454288

That makes more sense to me, actually. I'm mainly hoping doing it in the evening will help me sleep better as well.

So I also read that if you are well trained in meditation it can ease physical pain as well. Do anyone have experiences with that, or do you think it is taking the benefits too far for the average person?
>>
>>35454038
When I first mediated all I did was put on calming nature music, sit on my bed in a relaxed position, and listen to myself think.

However I wish it was easier said then done. When I listen to myself speak in my mind, I need to let go of the memories and honestly clear my head, you can't day dream. (however if you listen to certain kinds of audio it tells you to imagine yourself in a certain place, you can do that.) You must just let everything go, the worst part for me is keeping my eyes closed, My mental weakness is keeping my eyes closed because I feel so vulnerable when I can't see, I guess that's normal though.

The worst is when I start having darker, deeper, scarier thoughts come into my head and I have to let go and manage them, remaining calm cool and collected all while not thinking a demon is going to kill me, lol.

Meditation works for all different reasons, but meditation helps me not worry, relax, and relive a lot of stress. You won't find out what it does for you until you actually do it.
>>
>>35454375

Thanks for sharing your experiences, anon. I guess the best way to see what it does is to just start.
>>
If you have money get the muse headband and hack your meditation
http://www.choosemuse.com/
>>
>>35454584

That's very 'get out of my head Charles'.
>>
File: 000000.jpg (327 KB, 1298x796) Image search: [Google]
000000.jpg
327 KB, 1298x796
>>35454038
Go for stillness meditation, breath as deeply as you can. Have your eyes open and stare at a single point on the wall or carpet/floor.

Ideally you should feel the pressure of your inhale all the way down to your pelvic floor.

When you exhale don't force the air out, just let go of your inhale, so the air leaves without being pushed out. When you do this correctly you will still have some air in your lungs after the exhale.

Sit up as straight as you can, try to relax.

Cup your right hand in your left hand, tips of thumbs touching.

Sit cross-legged if you can, or just sit in a chair.
>>
>>35454302
If you have time, I'd really appreciate that lecture, anon -- I believe it's the kind of information I need so I can get to a place where I have five dollars to spare. Already started reading "Waking Up."
>>
>>35455833

Up for anon.
>>
File: Eckhhart_Tolle_front.jpg (100 KB, 238x360) Image search: [Google]
Eckhhart_Tolle_front.jpg
100 KB, 238x360
Eckhart Tolle

https://www.youtube.com/
watch?v=0KNefVPDbsQ
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.