[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fitbit and does it accurately track calories?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3
Got pic related for xmas from my gf's mom. I've been working out on/off since early this year and have lost 25 pounds. 2016 will be the year I reach my goal and I had a question about fitbits:

Do they work?

I've heard in the past from /fit/ that machines don't accurately track the calories you burn, but according to my fitbit (which I wear 98% of the time) I burn around 2900+ in a 24-hour day just existing. Since it has a heart rate monitor, which I have concluded IS accurate, I assume the calorie counter is accurate as well; which leads to my second question:

Can I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, within a 24-hour period, and as long as I'm in a caloric deficit, lose weight?

I appreciate any insight into this. I'm a numbers guy and turning weight loss into a numbers game will be my ticket to reaching my goals.
>>
No.
>>
jesus did you even read the sticky
>>
File: extendo loli.webm (153 KB, 380x318) Image search: [Google]
extendo loli.webm
153 KB, 380x318
>>35441113
that's not assuring

>>35441129
have you read my post? the majority of my question is about fitbits.

bump for help
>>
>>35441070
you need to understand your tdee versus how many steps it takes to burn a calorie, yeah, it's kinda accurate, but it really only tells you at where you are in your tdee during the day.
it
does
not
count
calories.
It's not fucking tracking your meals
it tracks your steps taken
it tells you your tdee based on simple questions
read the sticky
yes if you eat less than your tdee *AND* you excercise you will lose weight
don't make anyone say read the sticky again
>>
>>35441150
The fitbit app counts calories and calculates your excess/available calories.

Why must I exercise to lose weight if I'm already in a caloric deficit?
>>
>>35441189
if you want to be mr skeltal with no muscle mass sure starve yourself to death and don't excercise
if you want to look like a human bean excercise and eat at a low deficit for months at a time
some easy things to cut are sodas and fast food
if you drink a soda you just don't fucking care
if you eat fast food you literally do not fucking care

the reason you have to excercise is so you don't lose muscle mass while you eat on your deficit, make sure you have plenty of protein and try to cut carbs to promote ketoacid hormones and to promote glycol

exercise is very important for a guy on a diet
>>
>>35441242
diet sodas are killer too so don't drink that shit
spiking your insulin levels results in extreme propensity to store fats, and hudurrr aspartame is 600x sweeter
>>
>>35441189
>Why must I exercise to lose weight if I'm already in a caloric deficit?

You don't need to, but you'll turn into a skinnyfat bag of bones looking piece of shit.

Exercise has many benefits beyond burning calories.
>>
>>35441189
Nigga, this is /fit/, not /diet/. Pick up the fucking barbell and do some squats.
>>
>>35441271
>>35441242
>>35441286

Ok. I already bench 2 plates, I was just wondering if at this point I could stop working out and just focus on dieting.
>>
>>35441316
nah dude if you already hit the gym all you have to do is go on another cut
it's just like bulking
except you cut
lol
>>
>>35441316
yes at no point do you stop workouts, esp on cuts then it's super important to not lose progress
>>
>>35441323
so, I do or do not keep working out? can I just do cardio?
>>
>>35441332
ok.

my main concern though is just the losing weight part. I have no desire to be shredded, just not fat.
>>
>>35441333
>>35441341
Lifting will help you lose weight.
>>
>>35441333
working out will help you retain a somewhat guy physique, cardio is better for loss of mass wholesale, working out and getting to doms is gonna keep your physique from getting girly on a weight loss journey though, esp if you've got like, 30+lbs to go
>>
>>35441356
>getting to doms

the broscience is strong with this one
>>
>>35441365
the fuck? if you feel sore you know you're making progress, who the fuck argues with doms
it's just a method like xF
doms is just a tell that you're doing it right for progress dude lol
>>
>>35441242
>Ketoacid hormones
>promote glycol
Nigger quit making shit up and trying to sound smart
>>
>>35441264
[citation needed]
>>
>>35441444
nigga go take a general nutrition course and go learn how glycolysis and ketoacidosis and their role in 'losing weight', then you'll understand a little more than you did
>>
>>35441406
There is *literally* no evidence doms is a sign you're doing it right and even some evidence that it actively hinders progression
>>
>>35441452
idk dude go look it up
google query 'artificial sweeteners fattening'
'how are zero calorie sodas fattening america'
'insulin responses to aspartame'
'insulin's role in fat attrition'
>>
>>35441070
If only there existed some sort of device that monitored your weight over time so you could make sure you're making progress. I guess you'll just have to blindly follow the # of calories this over device says to eat.
>>
>>35441459
well think of this way
if you aren't sore, you can work out more, right?
hit the limit, hit the ceiling, but don't try to push past it all the time.
yeah, going while you're sore is stupid, but if you don't get to soreness levels, then you can...lift...more...
am i making sense
honestly idk if doms is the right word to use for immediate soreness versus what I'm feeling from my last workout on a different day, sometimes they blend together, which is kind of why some idiots like myself will call today's shit doms even though I didn't have it prior to today's workouts
>>
>>35441467
>google insulin responses to aspartame
>first link: "One study found that protein produced a significant insulin response, while aspartame had no effect on insulin levels. Another also found that aspartame had no effect on the insulin response in humans, whether alone or combined with carbohydrates."

so... you're wrong?
>>
>>35441488
doms is what comes a day or two after a workout, and it completely different to muscle soreness which happens in the workout
>>
>>35441494
i would read the study if i were you
but yeah if i had your information from your point of view and this was my first hearing of insulin draws increased by aspartame i would call me wrong, but I'm not you and this is not a vacuum, there are conflicting studies on it within different individuals, but the studies i read provided different information

aspartame is a huge industry

you need studies from universities, or peer reviewed journals

not some...place on the internet

that being said, I could be wrong.
everyone can be wrong
i'm just stubborn enough to bite a nail through the roof of my mouth before I'll ever tell someone on the internet that i was wrong
>>
>>35441454
I have a phd in ex phys dum fuk
There aren't hormones specific to ketoacidosis like your op suggested. The hormonal response changes during keto because of blood glucose. Lipolysis not "promoting glycol" is also a lot more important to this weight loss process but you would understand that if you remembered more than the two Wikipedia pages you read a couple weeks ago
>>
>>35441454
Aside from the ketoacidosis isn't even fucking necessary for weight loss an studies have shown that pretty drastic caloric deficits (1000/day) still promote fat loss as the primary mechanism as opposed to lean body mass loss
>>
>>35441519
dang dude i took like four courses on the subject
recently
are ketone bodies not hormones

you make me feel stupid
i should stop posting
>>
>>35441530
>>35441530
ketoacidosis is the only way to break the atp chain of fats + denatured proteins, right? or do i have this twisted
>>
>>35441530
i thought for every part of an atp chain in fat , dawg, you needed an equal part protein to complete the chain to provide any glucose for the body, yo
let me add these weird mannerisms to try to draw out a non-insulting response
>>
>>35441517
Just throwing this in there.but you probably won't read it because you're determined in your convictions
http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ijo2015177a.html
>>
>>35441621
i'll read it i just said i'll never admit shit
thanks
>>
>>35441587
I'm sorry for being mean. Hormones are chemical messengers ketone bodies are used for energy when glucose levels get low. Ketone bodies probably might be able to act as hormones but I don't remember if they can or can't right now. As for your other questions, I'm really drunk right now because I went to mich st and they just got shut out and I don't want to give you misinformation. keep learning about this shit tho most people quit because it gets so difficult. Didn't mean to shit on wiki either you can probably find most of your answers on there if you want to go dig. Happy New Years m8
>>
>>35441587
Also this isn't true. Protein is rarely used as an energy source and doesn't usually participate in atp chain shit. Fats can be beta oxidized into a form that's a lot more easily broken down for the atp formation and protein isn't required for that
>>
>>35441632
>http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/ijo2015177a.html
>>35441621
after reading it for a bit i can see it's got a good premise, they let people and animals eat to their hearts content while ingesting sets amounts of low energy sweeteners of different types, and no correlation was found, in fact, it was the opposite of what i was saying is happening
slightly less fat on the low energy sweetener animals and people

good read
i've actually got something to share with my professor next i see him
do you ever get a study that completely contradicts what your professor is saying and wish you could anonymously present it to him so you don't look like an asshole but still get him to talk about it
>>
>>35441658
FUCK
>>
File: whyy.jpg (42 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
whyy.jpg
42 KB, 600x400
>>35441070
>signs of someone who will never make it
EXAMPLE 1:
>>
>>35441882
nah man nah man, he's gonna make it
his fitbit has exposed his lil' mind to his tdee
that's always the first step
SELECT ALL SIGN WITH STREET NAMES
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe
>>
to get back to the fitbit itself for a minute, the thing counts shocks using an accelerometer and then extrapolates that data into steps. It has to guess how long your steps are, and very importantly it can't tell if you're stepping on an incline or up stairs which would obviously increase the calorie burn as compared to walking on a level surface. It will do ok in its task but nothing special, if anything it will remind her to get out more and get her steps, but if you do want to track calorie intake then use myfitnesspal
>>
>>35441070
>Fitbit and does it accurately track calories?
Absolutely NOT.

There are only a few devices consumers can buy that even come close to telling you how many calories you burn in exercise. One of them is an ergometer (rowing machine), the others are things like PowerTap hubs and pedals, Quarq and SRM cranksets, all of which are bicycle components intended as instrumentation to aid in training competitive cyclists, and they range from $900 to about $3000, plus you need a road bike to put them on, and they track kilojoules, which can *roughly* be translated to calories, but even then there's an assumption regarding the efficiency of the human body. But Fitbit is crap. Throw it away.
>>
>>35441070
>Can I eat whatever I want, whenever I want, within a 24-hour period, and as long as I'm in a caloric deficit, lose weight?
yes, but its harder to do that if you eat calorie dense food so a healthy diet is easier
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.